The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
letsgocanes2009

From the Old Patrick Division

While we have certainly had our hands full around here the the devils and bruins fans, and now the penguin fans, nothing could be as bad as the sabres fans. nothing. I would take all the flyer fans nuck fans and devils fans in the world over that bunch ;)

Sabres fan is the Durham Bulls compared to what you are about to go through.

Some other advice, if you start seeing questions from 'long time Canes' fans about how to get tickets, where to stay, etc., don't believe them. They are Penguin fans seeking to invade your city. Don't cringe when you start seeing an enormous amount of Pennsylvania license plates and Penguin flags. Finally, many of the people with Malkin and Crosby Jerseys also have Red Wing jerseys, Yankee jerseys, Red Sox jerseys, Patriots and Steeler jerseys, Celtics and Laker jerseys in their closets.

They will hit you below the belt. Be prepared to be accused of being bandwagon riders and NASCAR fans. Penguin fans aren't terribly creative in their insults and they tend to accuse everyone of being a stereotype they read about online.

Here is the best advice we can give you as of right now: consult with the Dukies to get ideas on what you can and should do during the games. Whatever the Dukies think of, do it. We're sure they can find a creative way of getting under Penguin fans' skin, Penguins' skin, and Penguin management's skin.

It's already started this state wants Orpik to eat ice.

This is true, but lets save that for the regular season, not the playoffs. Now is not the time for paybacks.....unless you mean payback in the handing out defeat kind of way.

Dear Caniac Nation,

On behalf of the fans of the New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, New Jersey Devils, and New York Rangers, we're rooting for the Canes. Whatever you are about to go through, we have been through it. Whatever you start to feel towards the Penguins, the city of Pittsburgh, fans of teams from Pittsburgh, and Penguin fans, we already feel it, we empathisize with you. Before you start to say, "nah, this is new, it won't get that way," rest assured, it will. It always does. Whatever you think won't happen because the Canes have experience, the people of Raleigh (and the whole RTP area) are good people, and you think it will all be settled fairly on the ice, that's what every one of us in the old Patrick Division tried to think.

Here are the top nine things we have learned over the years, keep this list handy, it will help (trust us):

1) all of them aren't bad; there are some good ones. The good ones, though, keep their mouths shut so you won't hear from them.

2) you can't get them to stop; don't slip to their level and reply. Unfortunately, ignoring them won't make them go away. They are like a rash and only time will get rid of them.

3) no matter what they say and we mean "no matter what they say," by they, we include the players, management, and fans, take it with a grain of salt. It's what they do and always say.

4) when you see them at the RBC Center, under no terms should you think about how they got there or why they have time to be there. (It will help you sleep at night and keep you motivated at work if you try not to think about it, trust us.)

5) when their fans take credit for things that happen on the ice and taunt you because of something that happened on the ice, just go to a zen place. It's much easier that way than tryin got argue or rationalize their logic.

6) don't get your hands anywhere near their mouths in two circumstances: when they eat or when they talk to officials. For as good as the Duke Medical Center is, it isn't good enough to transplant hands yet.

7) Crosby and Malkin don't cherry pick, the Canes don't have defensive problems when those two get free. Crosby and Malkin are that good. If Crosby would keep his pie hole shut around the officials and would stop concerning himself with drawing penalties, he'd be, hands down, the best player in the NHL.

8) Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, and Johnny Walker will be your best friends by the end of the series. There will be times when they are the only ones who can explain what just happened on the ice and why someone is in the box as opposed to another player.

9) In anticipation of your most frequent thoughts during the game: a) Yes, it was a slash; we don't know why he's not in the box. B) we didn't see it either, guess they just assumed the only way to get [Penguin] down was through a trip. c) [Cane] is flexing his wrist, hope it's not broken. d) that is a mullet and he did get out of a camaro. e) yes, that is a powder blue jersey. f) they wave a lot of towels, we're hoping the next home giveaway involves soap and shampoo to go with the towels; you know, in case it rains.

We are behind you, cheering for the Canes like we cheer for our teams. From time to time, we'll step in and help you handle everything. Just know, we're here for you.

- The Patrick Division

Wow, talk about bitter! :rolleyes:

Sabres fan is the Durham Bulls compared to what you are about to go through.

When was the last time you and all those you speak for went through a 7 games series with Buffalo?

I am trying to see how you were able to make this comparison.

I personnaly went through the whole mess in 06. When pushed, Carolina fans will only take so much. Just like our team.

Then BAM you get what A. Ward got.

Don't get us wrong, we empathize with what you went through with the Sabres and their fans. I'm sure it was painful. We're just saying, all of us have, in some way or another experienced the Sabres and their fans. We've also lived through the Penguins and their fans. Trust us, the Penguins and their fans are worse.

Take what Buffalo and the Sabres did to you and then multiple it. We're sure you will only take so much, but you don't yet realize how much you will be given. The Penguin fans, when pushed to a corner, will come out fighting with blows as low as they can get. The Canes will only take so much but they won't do the things behind the officials backs that are needed to beat the Penguins. The Penguins, as you will soon see, are the masters of slashing when the officials backs are turned; masters of the dive to draw a penalty; and masters of playing dead like a European soccer player until a five minute major is called. Remember, Mario Lemieux is the owner and he sets the tone for the franchise. Their fans follow this tone to the letter.

When was the last time you and all those you speak for went through a 7 games series with Buffalo?

I am trying to see how you were able to make this comparison.

I personnaly went through the whole mess in 06. When pushed, Carolina fans will only take so much. Just like our team.

Then BAM you get what A. Ward got.

Don't get us wrong, we empathize with what you went through with the Sabres and their fans. I'm sure it was painful.

There must be a treatment for that.

I'm not too worried about Penguins fans coming to RBC Center. In past games with the Pens, a lot of their fans seem to be confused that they were at an Ice Hockey game as many of them were wearing Ben Roethlisberger or other Steelers jerseys and waiving those terrible yellow hankies.

Along those lines, a memorable moment for me was after the playoff clinching win for the Canes in OT versus Pittsburgh earlier this season. We were all exiting the arena and Canes fans were yelling and hooting and in a festive mood. A group of Penguins fans best come-back was to start a chant of "We've won six Super Bowls! We've won six Super Bowls!" :blink::blink::lol:

This thread is hilarious! I agree with a some of the OP's comments. I have lived about an hour north of Pittsburgh most of my life with several years in Pittsburgh itself for school.

There are a lot of fans who just don't know the game well enough. Every time someone touches a Pen, they cry for a penalty. Yet the Pens never commit a penalty in their eyes. Not all Pens fans are that way. As far as the boards being overwhelmed here, that probably won't happen. But the mods will have to be really active the next week or so.

Edit: By the way, it's never a bad time to think about winning six Super Bowls. Hockey is great and all, but the NFL beats it hands down. Sometimes I wake up in the morning, yawn and say "It's a great day to have six Lombardi trophies.".

Funny OP, I chuckled a couple times. Couple issues, tho. They're highlighted below.

Dear Caniac Nation,

On behalf of the fans of the New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, New Jersey Devils, and New York Rangers, we're rooting for the Canes. Whatever you are about to go through, we have been through it. Whatever you start to feel towards the Penguins, the city of Pittsburgh, fans of teams from Pittsburgh, and Penguin fans, we already feel it, we empathisize with you. Before you start to say, "nah, this is new, it won't get that way," rest assured, it will. It always does. Whatever you think won't happen because the Canes have experience, the people of Raleigh (and the whole RTP area) are good people, and you think it will all be settled fairly on the ice, that's what every one of us in the old Patrick Division tried to think.

Any fan of the Flyers and Rangers have NO RIGHT talking about any other fan base. Ever. That has nothing to do with a rivalry, it has everything to do with how "classy" those fanbases have proven themselves over the years. If you'd like, I'm sure I can dig up a picture of a bunch of Flyers fans beating the *edit* out of a Devil's fan in the stands. That said, every fanbase has their low points.

Here are the top nine things we have learned over the years, keep this list handy, it will help (trust us):

1) all of them aren't bad; there are some good ones. The good ones, though, keep their mouths shut so you won't hear from them.

Hi there.

2) you can't get them to stop; don't slip to their level and reply. Unfortunately, ignoring them won't make them go away. They are like a rash and only time will get rid of them.

This is excellent advice, and it goes for every fan who is trolling.

3) no matter what they say and we mean "no matter what they say," by they, we include the players, management, and fans, take it with a grain of salt. It's what they do and always say.

4) when you see them at the RBC Center, under no terms should you think about how they got there or why they have time to be there. (It will help you sleep at night and keep you motivated at work if you try not to think about it, trust us.)

5) when their fans take credit for things that happen on the ice and taunt you because of something that happened on the ice, just go to a zen place. It's much easier that way than tryin got argue or rationalize their logic.

6) don't get your hands anywhere near their mouths in two circumstances: when they eat or when they talk to officials. For as good as the Duke Medical Center is, it isn't good enough to transplant hands yet.

7) Crosby and Malkin don't cherry pick, the Canes don't have defensive problems when those two get free. Crosby and Malkin are that good. If Crosby would keep his pie hole shut around the officials and would stop concerning himself with drawing penalties, he'd be, hands down, the best player in the NHL.

Pretty sure I'm playing right into this one, but I don't remember seeing Crosby lurking around the blue lines in any of our series. He's usually in there with the defense trying to get the puck. He even goes into the corners if needed. Same goes for Malkin. I really don't know where you get the cherry picking bit, and I'm certain this series will prove it to the Canes fans. I can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not. Hope you were.

Secondly, you're seriously asking a team captain to "keep his pie hole shut around the officials"? That's part of the job. The guys with the Cs and the As are the only ones who are supposed to be yapping to the officials at these points. I will give you this much... Sometimes, he goes a little far. Such as the incident in Washington when he asked the officials to make an announcement asking the fans to stop throwing hats after the 3rd wave of hats started coming down. That was dumb. To the point, he's supposed to talk to the refs. Unfortunately, his penchant for doing it has gotten him in trouble a few times and now it's a running gag for opposing fans. On the plus side, at least you didn't call him out for diving.

8) Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, and Johnny Walker will be your best friends by the end of the series. There will be times when they are the only ones who can explain what just happened on the ice and why someone is in the box as opposed to another player.

9) In anticipation of your most frequent thoughts during the game: a) Yes, it was a slash; we don't know why he's not in the box. B) we didn't see it either, guess they just assumed the only way to get [Penguin] down was through a trip. c) [Cane] is flexing his wrist, hope it's not broken. d) that is a mullet and he did get out of a camaro. e) yes, that is a powder blue jersey. f) they wave a lot of towels, we're hoping the next home giveaway involves soap and shampoo to go with the towels; you know, in case it rains.

:lol: Good stuff! Could do w/o the regional bashing as it's just as easy for Pittsburgh fans to flip the table and start talking about NASCAR and trailers. It's just as easy for every fan base to flip the table and make stupid assumptions about a fan base simply based on their region.

We are behind you, cheering for the Canes like we cheer for our teams. From time to time, we'll step in and help you handle everything. Just know, we're here for you.

- The Patrick Division

Funny post. I hope your intent was humorous instead of trying to fuel some sort of trolling war. It would be really nice to have ONE series where we're not dealing with the lowest common denominator day in and out. It would also be nice to be in a series with fans who don't immediately slap on the tinfoil hats and chant the "Bettman rigs the NHL so Sidney can win" chant when they lose to Pittsburgh. It's sad.

I've been to a few Pens games at the RBC and they usually have a good representation in our house. I don't recall ever hearing anything unusually bad about any other board member's experience with Pens fans, so by default, they are good in my book.

I went to the last reg season meeting in March (the 3-2 OT game that was probably the best regular season game I've seen in a long while) and we happened to be sitting next to a pocket of Pens fans, about 8 of them. They were all respectful, cheered on their team, were not obnoxious (except for one drunken woman who was out of her mind and sounded like a banshee with strep throat at full volume), and really just enjoyed the game for what it was - a good hockey game. In fact, the two guys sitting behind me shook my hand when the game was over, which was a classy move. I don't understand all of the Steelers jerseys but whatever, it's not like we never see State/Carolina/Duke shirts/paraphernalia in the RBC, so big deal? Plus, it seems to me that Pens fans signing up here have been respectful (most of them anyway), and from reading their boards, a lot of them admit to not having a reason to hate us, and we don't really have a reason to hate them. (Orpikgate was more than 3 years ago everyone, Cole is still playing hockey, move on).

Until they prove otherwise and we start getting slammed by trolls, my opinion of them will hold where it is now. They are a classy bunch for the most part, and every fanbase has the "other" part to a certain degree.

And I'm with cc, unless you experienced the ECF in Raleigh in 06, you have no idea what you are talking about when comparing Pens fans to Sabres fans.

Funny OP, I chuckled a couple times. Couple issues, tho. They're highlighted below.

Funny post. I hope your intent was humorous instead of trying to fuel some sort of trolling war. It would be really nice to have ONE series where we're not dealing with the lowest common denominator day in and out. It would also be nice to be in a series with fans who don't immediately slap on the tinfoil hats and chant the "Bettman rigs the NHL so Sidney can win" chant when they lose to Pittsburgh. It's sad.

Hey BobErrey12,

Did you see when the OP joined this forum? Odds are, we have an ongoing argument here between you two.....neither of whom were cheering for the Hurricanes all season like we have been. I highly doubt 'letsgocanes2009' is a "Caniac" of any sort. My guess is either a disgruntled Capitals/Rangers fan, and I gleamed all of this from the first sentence of his/her rant. Don't generalize about our fan base and make the assumptions that we posted the above...unfortunately, this forum seems to have gotten a lot of traffic since Scotty scored his second knockout punch this week. Many of whom I have never seen before.

Hey BobErrey12,

Did you see when the OP joined this forum? Odds are, we have an ongoing argument here between you two.....neither of whom were cheering for the Hurricanes all season like we have been. I highly doubt 'letsgocanes2009' is a "Caniac" of any sort. My guess is either a disgruntled Capitals/Rangers fan, and I gleamed all of this from the first sentence of his/her rant. Don't generalize about our fan base and make the assumptions that we posted the above...unfortunately, this forum seems to have gotten a lot of traffic since Scotty scored his second knockout punch this week. Many of whom I have never seen before.

Oh yeah, I realized pretty quickly into his post that he was a fan of either the Caps or Flyers. There just isn't enough hatred generated between us and the rest of the old Patrick to be anyone else. Why would a fan of the Islanders, Devils or Rangers bother? Clearly his team just lost to Pittsburgh and he wants revenge in the form of a Carolina win. Which is fine. His post was pretty funny, really.

I'm certainly not generalizing about Hurricanes fans. I think it's stupid to generalize about anything, let alone fans of a sport. I'm a Penguins fan, but I've never owned a Camaro, never had a mullet, and have only been in the city of Pittsburgh for one fine weekend. But hey, it's humor. Until some retard with a mullet driving a Camaro with a Penguins logo on the hood reads it and gets his pride hurt...

I just want a good series. I would dearly love for the officials to get it right (show me ONE series in the past 3 years where the officials didn't miss a call, or blow a call) and to enjoy a good series of hockey without all the name calling and juvenile sportsmanship.

Time for some clarity.

We welcome fans from other fan bases. If you want to talk hockey, discuss the game, even root for your team in a civil manner...the more the merrier.

That being said, random insults and generalizations by anyone to anyone with no intent other than to cause a flame war will not be tolerated. Period. No matter who your team is (including the Hurricanes).

Let's talk hockey. B)

Until some retard with a mullet driving a Camaro with a Penguins logo on the hood reads it and gets his pride hurt...

very funny imagery :lol: