The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Three Year Price Freeze for Canes Season Tickets

The Canes just announced a plan to keep a lid on ticket price increases through the 2011-12 season if you'll put 30% down for next season's tickets. Also, big improvements in the playoff pricing and payment schemes (Playoffs? Playoffs?!? :) )

RALEIGH, NC

Well look at the bright side,,,at least we know the team will still be here for 3 more years!

Our future is so bright i have to wear shade's,,, B)

If the Hurricanes advance beyond the second round of the playoffs, season-ticket holders will pay the same amount for tickets in the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals that they paid in the second round, ensuring deeper discounts for the most sought-after tickets of the hockey season.

:lol::lol::lol:

The playoff plan sounds good, my only question is if ticket prices actually drop in cost is the price that was locked in also reduced, i would hope so.

As Steven Tyler would say "Dream on"

The way the Canes have played this year has not been worth the price of going to a game. Why should I invest against future price increases over the next three years when their play has not improved? With my 26-game plan, plus the three vouchers, and a ticket to a game that was not televised, I will have been to 30 of the 41 home games A good portion of these have been loses with some of the losses being blow-outs.

For a team that is a perennial challenger for the Cup, the deal would be worth snatching up in a heart-beat. But commiting to watching three years - plus overpriced concessions - of 30 games of mediocre hockey is insane. If I commit, I will buy a ten-game package and watch the rest on Center Ice.

Obviously the players heard about this offer, and decided it wasn't quite good enough.. they are seemingly intent on offering fans an even steeper discount on playoff tickets, for all four rounds.

Thanks, guys! :)

Interesting approach to STH retention. They will need to grow revenue in other ways then...adding new STH to increase STH total or higher single game prices to meet league revenue sharing guidelines.

This may keep me around, we'll see. I'd thought next year would be it for me if they don't go to the playoffs. Maybe now I can watch the drive for six...to be the first team not to make the playoffs 6 consecutive seasons after a Cup win.

The playoff plan sounds good, my only question is if ticket prices actually drop in cost is the price that was locked in also reduced, i would hope so.

If the team is rebuilding during that time, which I think this plan suggests, then the ECF and SCF playoff "perk" will go unused, therefore costing the organIzation nothing.

I hope I'm wrong because I agree with you it is a good program for STH and a way to show appreciation.

I cannot imagine ticket prices actually dropping. That's not to say that there won't be promotions and other kind of deals that will make tickets for individual games cheaper, but a list price drop on the tickets for either single games or a season package is very unlikely. The best that you'd hope for is that they remain the same.

If the team is rebuilding during that time, which I think this plan suggests, then the ECF and SCF playoff "perk" will go unused, therefore costing the organIzation nothing.

They could always extend that potential perk year after year, and it doesn't cost them anything, unless they actually make the ECF or SCF, at which point I'm sure they count on some other revenue sources that would make up for giving several thousand STH playoff tickets at a discounted price.

Another thing that I gather from this is that while you lock in the price for 3 years, you don't really have the obligation to sign up for 3 years. In other words they are making a commitment to you that if you sign up now, you will have an option to be a STH at the locked-in price for the next 3 seasons, but you could walk away after 1 or 2 seasons as you are not making a commitment to them to be a STH for 3 seasons. Right?

The way the Canes have played this year has not been worth the price of going to a game. Why should I invest against future price increases over the next three years when their play has not improved? With my 26-game plan, plus the three vouchers, and a ticket to a game that was not televised, I will have been to 30 of the 41 home games A good portion of these have been loses with some of the losses being blow-outs.

For a team that is a perennial challenger for the Cup, the deal would be worth snatching up in a heart-beat. But commiting to watching three years - plus overpriced concessions - of 30 games of mediocre hockey is insane. If I commit, I will buy a ten-game package and watch the rest on Center Ice.

Then don't. Sit at home and watch Opra on Tivo.

Actually, I think this is a good plan so far without reading the details. With $1,000 in my Canes account right now, I may not have to do anything. Shows what planning will do for you !!!!!

For those who whine about how the Canes don't do anything for thier fans, here you go. Sure,they did it to keep bleeding from the economy,but think about a business that has tickets and times are bad but they know they will bounce back when the econ picks up, this is incentive to "stay in the game". Same for regular "Joes"

Want to see the fine print but this may have confirmed me renewing my season tickets for next year.

aside from this season, the last seasons i woudnt say the canes didnt give it their all. Last season we led the division for almost the entire season. how can you say "im not gonna give them my money anymore!" each season brings new players, new styles, different opponents, certain players could have a big year, certain players could have a bad year, and a new mentality over all. Your argument is basically that you believe the canes are gonna be the exact same next year and henceforth. Heres a fun a fact: we've made it to the stanely cup finals twice and won it once. There are teams that would KILL for a stanley cup. take buffalo for example. hec im sure they HAVE killed to try to get a stanley cup knowing those buffalo fans :rolleyes: . my point is that we've done it before and we can do it again. You stick with your team through thick and thin. do you honestly think the players dont care about making the playoffs? really?

This isn't a deal, with the long depression we are heading into, ticket prices, along with player contracts will be heading lower. My money says wait it out and you will pay even less in the future. For the next 5-10 years people will simply not have the discretionary income to spend on any sport under the current pricing structure.

I think its a good deal. I'm being locked in at the $49.50 price for 3 years. In those 3 years, that price is going to raise a good amount. So while a new STH is going to pay likely $60, I'll be paying $49.50.

Prices are not going to drop. If anything they won't raise, but prices will never drop.

I also like how you can play for the playoff games as they go instead of paying for 8 games up front. Although its a moot point cause they won't even have 1 playoff game.

This isn't a deal, with the long depression we are heading into, ticket prices, along with player contracts will be heading lower. My money says wait it out and you will pay even less in the future. For the next 5-10 years people will simply not have the discretionary income to spend on any sport under the current pricing structure.

How can this team reduce ticket prices? They lose money as it is and if they lowered ticket prices they would lose even more money and then you can say bye-bye Hurricanes. It's not like players are going to all of a sudden say "Hmmm, bad economy? Why don't you guys restructure my contract so I make less money and then you can reduce ticket prices?" Not gonna happen.

Prices are not going to drop. If anything they won't raise, but prices will never drop.

Watch and see. In the coming years everything will readjust, our economy, business, salaries and sports contracts, etc, etc ,etc. There simply will not be the money as there has been over the last 10-20 years, especially for something as trivial as a sports game. I assure you, this "deal" will not be considered so in the coming years. Empty arenas will lead to buy one get one free nights and other promotions. I don't think people truly understand what is happening economically.

"Hmmm, bad economy? Why don't you guys restructure my contract so I make less money and then you can reduce ticket prices?"

Faced with the choice of having an NHL, aka a job for them, i think the decision will be easy. BTW, didn't they take a pay cut a few years ago in an effort to help balance the books? And that was in a very good economy.

It really does sound like a good deal, esp. since the team is trying really hard to save us money and playing golf in April. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but after getting it handed to them 15-2 in their last three teams, this a MONUMENTAL lapse in judgement to introduce now....

It really does sound like a good deal, esp. since the team is trying really hard to save us money and playing golf in April. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but after getting it handed to them 15-2 in their last three teams, this a MONUMENTAL lapse in judgement to introduce now....

This is the time that most teams start their renewal and playoff ticket push. In our case, there wont be a perfect time to do this since everyday is a battle to survive now. Check Florida's and the Cap's ticket push out:

PanthersPromise-SplashPage-021009.jpg

STH_splash2.jpg

"Hmmm, bad economy? Why don't you guys restructure my contract so I make less money and then you can reduce ticket prices?"

Faced with the choice of having an NHL, aka a job for them, i think the decision will be easy. BTW, didn't they take a pay cut a few years ago in an effort to help balance the books? And that was in a very good economy.

And how did that go? It didn't. The lockout didn't end and the season was cancelled.

Yes, every team is doing this every year around this time, and unless a team has had a truly disastrous season and is mathematically eliminated from the playoff race, they will start selling playoff tickets now. It's up to you, the STH to figure out whether you want to part with your money now and then couple of months down the line go through a process of requesting a refund or use that money towards next year's season tickets should you choose to renew.

I see that Florida Panthers promo you posted, I wish them the same scenario we had last season <_<

I think its a good deal. I'm being locked in at the $49.50 price for 3 years. In those 3 years, that price is going to raise a good amount. So while a new STH is going to pay likely $60, I'll be paying $49.50.

I also like how you can play for the playoff games as they go instead of paying for 8 games up front. Although its a moot point cause they won't even have 1 playoff game.

I wouldn't say never, if the economy continues south then even "frozen" prices may not help and at some point they may need to look at dropping prices. With the economy tanking globally, moving the team may not be an option. There was talk at the last GM's meeting of the cap only going up $1-2mil and then dropping the following season.

That was one season lost, the alternative this time will be every season lost. I am sure of this, and you will be too in the future. The NHL has scraped by in recent years with what was considered a "good" economy. How are they going to make it when attendance drops off 50%?