The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cjslumber

Cow Bells

This is absolutely the worst trend I have seen yet. Do they sell those damn things in the Eye? If they do, they gotta stop, in fact, cowbells have to be banned from the arena. I swear, if the people around me next season have them, I'll give up my tickets.

Mine actually came in handy last night. First I must say that I am very judicious with ringing it. It only gets rung for a Canes goal or a big save. I'm not trying to get on the Jumbotron. Usually I'm sitting in the upper level and light waves don't travel that far for the camera to pick up.

Back to how it came in handy. I had 2 cute little 4 year girls sitting in the row behind me just to my left. On my immediate left I had the "Shoot it" guy. You know, the guy that yells "shoot it, shoot the puck" at all times that the Canes have the puck. If we don't have the puck, he's yelling "skate". I told the guy on my right the "Shoot it" is moron for "I don't understand hockey but I love to yell". About the beginning of the 2nd period I had an idea. I handed the cowbell to the 2 little girls. They rang it at all times just behind "Shoot it" guy's head. Since there were 2 of them, it rang pretty much the whole period. They weren't putting much on it so it wasn't loud, but it was 6 inches from his ears.

Superdave just smiles on the inside thinking about this again.

SidneyFisher loves it when people talk about themselves in the third person! A+

Superdave loves it when people like things superdave does.

That's 2 third person references in one sentence. Have a nice day :rolleyes:

Mine actually came in handy last night. First I must say that I am very judicious with ringing it. It only gets rung for a Canes goal or a big save. I'm not trying to get on the Jumbotron. Usually I'm sitting in the upper level and light waves don't travel that far for the camera to pick up.

Back to how it came in handy. I had 2 cute little 4 year girls sitting in the row behind me just to my left. On my immediate left I had the "Shoot it" guy. You know, the guy that yells "shoot it, shoot the puck" at all times that the Canes have the puck. If we don't have the puck, he's yelling "skate". I told the guy on my right the "Shoot it" is moron for "I don't understand hockey but I love to yell". About the beginning of the 2nd period I had an idea. I handed the cowbell to the 2 little girls. They rang it at all times just behind "Shoot it" guy's head. Since there were 2 of them, it rang pretty much the whole period. They weren't putting much on it so it wasn't loud, but it was 6 inches from his ears.

What section are you in?

I rather enjoy the cowbells but ONLY during the SNL skit. At no other time should they be used. Plus please get the ones like they use in the skit and hit it with a drumstick. The other ones are what I find annoying, play a real cowbell if you're going to do it. My wife takes one every once in a while but hasn't the last 2 games as it is a little harsh on the ears. Plus since it's packed in the RBC she doesn't want to upset anyone.

That should be the major point of this discussion. If you have a cowbell, play it with respect to others around you.

I rather enjoy the cowbells but ONLY during the SNL skit. At no other time should they be used. Plus please get the ones like they use in the skit and hit it with a drumstick. The other ones are what I find annoying, play a real cowbell if you're going to do it. My wife takes one every once in a while but hasn't the last 2 games as it is a little harsh on the ears. Plus since it's packed in the RBC she doesn't want to upset anyone.

That should be the major point of this discussion. If you have a cowbell, play it with respect to others around you.

Actually a "real" cowbell would be the ones that actually hang around a cow's neck and have a clapper inside. Like the one my husband has had since the '06 playoffs, way before the SNL stuff was ever used at the RBC. Everyone around us loves it and gets upset if he doesn't bring it.

I guess I havent sat next to someone ringing it the whole game, if they did I would get upset.

I only notice them when they do the cowbell thing on the jumbotron.

I dont personally see how they get the team going myself. Are we hearding cows? Should we put a sheep dog on the ice to herd the Canes off the ice at the end of the period and make sure no Canes go in the wrong locker room.

Actually a "real" cowbell would be the ones that actually hang around a cow's neck and have a clapper inside. Like the one my husband has had since the '06 playoffs, way before the SNL stuff was ever used at the RBC. Everyone around us loves it and gets upset if he doesn't bring it.

True, but as it pertains to the skit played at the game, which is what caused this craze, the cowbell is an instrument or as wikipedia would say:

The cowbell is an idiophone hand percussion instrument used in various styles of music including salsa and infrequently in popular music. It is named after the similar bell historically used by herdsmen to keep track of the whereabouts of cows.

I'm all in favor of the ones used as an instrument with a drum stick. The other ones annoy me. Why I don't know they just do.

Jeeze people, lighten up! It's the playoffs and folks are cheering.

I was in the Eye the other day and my son asked about buying a cowbell, the lady brought out this little bitty thing that looked like a barbie cowbell. We both had a good laugh and moved on.

I saw those the other day. That's not a cowbell. Gotta go to Tractor Supply to get a cowbell.

I'm with you. Loosen up folks. I don't want an Eye tinkerbell ringing in my ear all night, but after a goal or a big save it adds to the celebration. I don't need to ring mine for the SNL video, only goals and saves. Like I said, it was great for the little girls behind me to ring for "Shoot it" guy.

Bless you Superdave

Please if you have a Cow Bell throw it away. This is by far the worst possible thing that could have happend to our fan base. I had a guy in 115 stand up the entire game and beat his cow bell just hoping to get on the jumbotron.

The saturday night live skit is now completely ruined. It's just not funny anymore when 5,000 people want to be Will Farrel.

i AGREE 110%!!! Can we say NO MORE COWBELLS!!!!