The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

Raleigh Pens fan here. Welcome to the boards. I'm so thrilled because either way I'm going to have a team in the SCF. B)

I'm going to game 4, and of course I will be pulling for the Pens. I'm just hoping the Blackhawks beat the Deadwings. I'm so sick of those guys!

It should be a great series, and I will pull for whomever wins in the SCF.

Let's Go PENS!

Go Canes!

Sick...just Sick!

I think I'd prefer the deadwings...just so we could get another crack at 'em from '02 <_<

Raleigh Pens fan here. Welcome to the boards. I'm so thrilled because either way I'm going to have a team in the SCF. B)

I'm going to game 4, and of course I will be pulling for the Pens. I'm just hoping the Blackhawks beat the Deadwings. I'm so sick of those guys!

It should be a great series, and I will pull for whomever wins in the SCF.

Let's Go PENS!

Go Canes!

haha yea this is gonn be a great series. i cant wait till monday. i fully expect to get treated like a troll to the fullest as it always happens no matter where i go lol. i try not to be that douchey fan that talk down to other teams and their fans. this is all in good fun.

as for the tomlin vs cowher i think tomlin wins that 1. hes been at every single game wearing a crosby jersey and sits right against the glass. cowher probably just sits up in his box and goes out to turn ur lil hurricane wheel lol

Hi there, Penguins fan here. It's nice to be playing a team that either A) we despise for beating us all the time (at least, back in the day) or B) despises us for beating them all the time... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON!

Hopefully we have a good series on our hands here. Seeing as how we've never faced each other in the playoffs and with so many variables out there, it's a tough call on this series. Obviously the Penguins fan in me wants a 4-0 shellacking so there's no stress. The hockey fan in me wants a game 7 overtime winner (although I doubt my heart could take it). But the realist in me has no idea what to expect out of this series.

I felt we were in pretty good shape against Philly. I knew Washington would be tough, but manageable... Carolina? No idea.

Here's to a great series and hopefully some good banter across the lines.

Cheers!

Hi there, Penguins fan here. It's nice to be playing a team that either A) we despise for beating us all the time (at least, back in the day) or B) despises us for beating them all the time... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON!

Hopefully we have a good series on our hands here. Seeing as how we've never faced each other in the playoffs and with so many variables out there, it's a tough call on this series. Obviously the Penguins fan in me wants a 4-0 shellacking so there's no stress. The hockey fan in me wants a game 7 overtime winner (although I doubt my heart could take it). But the realist in me has no idea what to expect out of this series.

I felt we were in pretty good shape against Philly. I knew Washington would be tough, but manageable... Carolina? No idea.

Cheers!

it comes down to fleury. the caps series should have never gone 7 games, we had that won 4-2 maybe even 4-1. we out played wash in every single game and in ever aspect of the game. cam wards gonnna be even better then varlamov and the canes actually play defense. fleury cant afford his 3-4 brain farts he has nightly.

it comes down to fleury. ....cant afford his 3-4 brain farts he has nightly.

We'll take 'em if he delivers. I'm sure you're aware we've already taken down Broduer and Thomas.

We'll take 'em if he delivers. I'm sure you're aware we've already taken down Broduer and Thomas.

eh the devils werent very good so much. they were fallin apart twords the end of the season. broduer was a great but the rest of the devils we're ehhhhhhhh.

now boston i give you guys all th credit in the world. they were good hockey team and u guys took it to them for most of that series.

it seems like our 2 two teams have come 2 totally different ways to get here. we came from WASH and Philly, 2 of the best offensive teams in the league and had to get into a shootout most nights. you guys faced boston and devils who were 2 of the better defensive teams. its gonna be interesting to see who dictates the play and what kind of style we plays. Do the canes open it up and try and out score the pen? or can the pens shutout it down defensively wil 2-1 if they have 2

haha yea this is gonn be a great series. i cant wait till monday. i fully expect to get treated like a troll to the fullest as it always happens no matter where i go lol. i try not to be that douchey fan that talk down to other teams and their fans. this is all in good fun.

as for the tomlin vs cowher i think tomlin wins that 1. hes been at every single game wearing a crosby jersey and sits right against the glass. cowher probably just sits up in his box and goes out to turn ur lil hurricane wheel lol

Please be advised that a large nucleus of Hurricane fans are transplants from other various NHL ciites, regions and even international area that have hockey. We are very informed about the game and us old timers know quite a bit of its history. Next we have a bulk of local NC folks that over the past 12 years have taken the time to learn the game, appreciate what the players go thru and project their loyal support and enthusiasm for college basketball, Nascar, barbecue etc toward the Hurricanes. These two elements combined make up a VERY rabid and loyal fan base.......a force to be reckoned with.

Most of us also have a sense of humour and can take an occasional ribbing........lets keep the conversations basic about the game, plays , calls etc and leave out regional darts...........I look forward to your posts.

we came from WASH and Philly, 2 of the best offensive teams in the league and had to get into a shootout most nights. you guys faced boston and devils who were 2 of the better defensive teams.

Hold it there. Yes Wash and Philly were 3 and 5 in GF. 16 and 17 in GA

The 2nd best offensive team was Boston (GF). They were also # 1 in GA.

I would say if you want to determine who played and beat the "better" team based on regular season stats we would win that argument.

Stats don't mean squat once you get there. Only what you do.

Please take us lightly. ;)

Hold it there. Yes Wash and Philly were 3 and 5 in GF. 16 and 17 in GA

The 2nd best offensive team was Boston (GF). They were also # 1 in GA.

I would say if you want to determine who played and beat the "better" team based on regular season stats we would win that argument.

Stats don't mean squat once you get there. Only what you do.

Please take us lightly. ;)

i was talking more along the lines of style of play. philly and wash are more balls to the wall all out offense. up and down fast paced. NJ and boston played more of a defense first, grind you out, let you make the mistakes. i am by no means saying we played better teams or that ur competition was inferior.

Mods will have a lot of fun with this series meesa thinks. :rolleyes:

just wait till the Pens lose a game, Nascar this, redneck that, theyre all the same. Saturday night at the RBC should be interesting, better call in the national guard.

And dont believe what you hear in the media about Cam Ward is great...never lost a playoff series....perfect in game 7's..Conn Smythe winner.... blah blah blah.....the people on this board knows...hes just "average at best". There was even a thread about it a while back. ;):P

i was talking more along the lines of style of play. philly and wash are more balls to the wall all out offense. up and down fast paced. NJ and boston played more of a defense first, grind you out, let you make the mistakes. i am by no means saying we played better teams or that ur competition was inferior.

The Canes play the similar D-first, grind game as with Boston and NJ except there forwards arent as big/physical. I did notice the Canes positioning 4 guys in the neutral zone against the B's, intercepting passes and attacking, very, very similar to the system NJ was using.

The Canes play the similar D-first, grind game as with Boston and NJ except there forwards arent as big/physical. I did notice the Canes positioning 4 guys in the neutral zone against the B's, intercepting passes and attacking, very, very similar to the system NJ was using.

yea thats exactly what i was trying to get at before. both of these teams have taken a totally different route to get here. carolin has had to play more conservative grind it out kind of games while the pens have just had to outscore the other teams.

its going to be interesting to see which team budges first and starts changing the way they play

And dont believe what you hear in the media about Cam Ward is great...never lost a playoff series....perfect in game 7's..Conn Smythe winner.... blah blah blah.....the people on this board knows...hes just "average at best". There was even a thread about it a while back. ;):P

You know, we might need to drag that one back out sometime to remind us how we can get nasty when we lose.

yea thats exactly what i was trying to get at before. both of these teams have taken a totally different route to get here. carolin has had to play more conservative grind it out kind of games while the pens have just had to outscore the other teams.

its going to be interesting to see which team budges first and starts changing the way they play

Is that another way of saying the Pens defense is...."questionable" or "invisible" at times and the Crosbys and Malkins of the world (shout out to Tripp ;) ) have to pick up their slack?

Is that another way of saying the Pens defense is...."questionable" or "invisible" at times and the Crosbys and Malkins of the world (shout out to Tripp ;) ) have to pick up their slack?

pretty much. lol. our defense can be sooooooo good at time. but then our of nowhere (like MAF) they have a brain fart and forget *edit* they are doing. i will give them credit tho, besides OV they did a reallllly good job on everyone else. and in the Philly series they shut down jeff carter and mike richards for the most part. its going to interesting to see how they handle that Staal line u guys have

Cheers!

Penguin fan, thanks for this posting. We've been waiting for a post to analyze to show the good people in Raleigh what you are about to do. Sadly, you didn't pull all the stops out. Perhaps, after game 1, you'll help us out with a better post?

Let's take this apart. Firstly, we see the claim of that, without using the word "we" implies "we". "It's nice to be playing a team..." Penguin fan, as you in Carolina will soon see, believes the Penguins are an extension of him (or her) and will juxtapose on-ice success onto himself (or herself) and will then use this to define their identity. So, be prepared for a lot of "we" beat you and "we're" better than you.

Secondly, they will make as many references to beating another team as possible. "despises us [there it is again, unity with the team, even though Penguin fan doesn't play for the team] for beating them all the time ... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON." This is a good sentence. Fans of teams in the old Patrick Division don't hate Pittsburgh because the Penguins beat them all the time. We hate their fans because of their fans' behavior. What you will see, as this sentence hints at, Penguin fan takes more joy in watching the Penguins beat another team than they do in the joy of a Penguins win. As this sentence demonstrates, a Penguin win will give them the freedom and feeling of right to attack every resident of Raleigh (or every person who roots for the Canes) as being inferior to Pittsburgh, Penguin fans, and the Penguins.

How do you handle this? Well, there is the Ted Leonsis method. But, that just annoys them and they hire attorneys to sue ownership. Really, we don't recommend the Ted Leonsis method, even though it drives them insane. There is the Philadelphia/New Jersey method. But, the judges don't really appreciate it nor will your probation officer. The "Ivy League Method" doesn't not seem to work as well as you'd think. This method involves nodding your head, and thinking, "when it's time to fire people on the line, we'll just look for the people in black and gold and 'take care of this.'" However, unemployment only seems to empower them; it gives them more free time to tour the world with the Penguins. They use their stimulus money to purchase more Penguins' gear and Penguins' tickets. Thus, we recommend you treat them like the Chicken Pox. Don't itch them (ie, reply), don't let it annoy you (the more you think about them, the more they get to you) and just let nature take it's course (the series will, eventually, be over and they will leave.).

Penguin fans, can you cut and paste some of your greatest hits from the Flyer and Caps message boards for us? It will help us prepare the Caniacs. Thanks!

I will say the Canes are more than capable of playing the uptempo back and forth game but have become more responsible with their forwards in the O-zone to account for the pinching the D does. They still get that sustained pressure but dont give up the odd-man rushes as much. It will be back and forth like most series with each team adjusting after loses.

Penguin fan, thanks for this posting. We've been waiting for a post to analyze to show the good people in Raleigh what you are about to do. Sadly, you didn't pull all the stops out. Perhaps, after game 1, you'll help us out with a better post?

Let's take this apart. Firstly, we see the claim of that, without using the word "we" implies "we". "It's nice to be playing a team..." Penguin fan, as you in Carolina will soon see, believes the Penguins are an extension of him (or her) and will juxtapose on-ice success onto himself (or herself) and will then use this to define their identity. So, be prepared for a lot of "we" beat you and "we're" better than you.

Secondly, they will make as many references to beating another team as possible. "despises us [there it is again, unity with the team, even though Penguin fan doesn't play for the team] for beating them all the time ... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON." This is a good sentence. Fans of teams in the old Patrick Division don't hate Pittsburgh because the Penguins beat them all the time. We hate their fans because of their fans' behavior. What you will see, as this sentence hints at, Penguin fan takes more joy in watching the Penguins beat another team than they do in the joy of a Penguins win. As this sentence demonstrates, a Penguin win will give them the freedom and feeling of right to attack every resident of Raleigh (or every person who roots for the Canes) as being inferior to Pittsburgh, Penguin fans, and the Penguins.

How do you handle this? Well, there is the Ted Leonsis method. But, that just annoys them and they hire attorneys to sue ownership. Really, we don't recommend the Ted Leonsis method, even though it drives them insane. There is the Philadelphia/New Jersey method. But, the judges don't really appreciate it nor will your probation officer. The "Ivy League Method" doesn't not seem to work as well as you'd think. This method involves nodding your head, and thinking, "when it's time to fire people on the line, we'll just look for the people in black and gold and 'take care of this.'" However, unemployment only seems to empower them; it gives them more free time to tour the world with the Penguins. They use their stimulus money to purchase more Penguins' gear and Penguins' tickets. Thus, we recommend you treat them like the Chicken Pox. Don't itch them (ie, reply), don't let it annoy you (the more you think about them, the more they get to you) and just let nature take it's course (the series will, eventually, be over and they will leave.).

Penguin fans, can you cut and paste some of your greatest hits from the Flyer and Caps message boards for us? It will help us prepare the Caniacs. Thanks!

Umm, thanks but I think this needs to end now. Although your first post was entertaining for us Canes fans, we're not really interested in having a war break out between fans of other teams here. We appreciate the warnings and the heads up but we've got it from here, thanks ;)

Glad we get to play a classy team in the ECF. I've been following discussions on Flyers and Caps forums during the playoffs and man are most of their fans terrible (at least the one's posting on the forums.) You guys seem like a good bunch. Looking forward to a good series.

GO PENS! ;)