The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

Raleigh Pens fan here. Welcome to the boards. I'm so thrilled because either way I'm going to have a team in the SCF. B)

I'm going to game 4, and of course I will be pulling for the Pens. I'm just hoping the Blackhawks beat the Deadwings. I'm so sick of those guys!

It should be a great series, and I will pull for whomever wins in the SCF.

Let's Go PENS!

Go Canes!

Can you say "Dissociative Identity Disorder"? Good Luck ;)

split-personality-1.jpg

Gonch55,

You must remove your signature, it violates the size requirements of our forum and also features vulgar language we do not allow in the message board.

Thanks,

Canesmash

Well if greeting posts on both boards are any indication, I think these two fanbases will treat each other with class and respect, which would be absolutely wonderful so we can all just be hockey fans!

Let's all, Caniacs and Pens fans alike, do our best and make a conscious effort to be civil. After the Boston series and all of the unnecessary trash talk and prejudicial insults we received (and probably dealt a little too), it would be great to have a clean, enjoyable series for us all to discuss. I'm not saying we all hold hands and sing koom-by-ya, after all we want the OTHER team to lose, but I hope we can rise above insults and maintain civility, and in the process enjoy some awesome playoff hockey.

Canes in 6!

...or we can just go there, forget the pre-series sweet talk, and start talking about Matt Cooke's elbow to Scott Walker earlier this year.

Gonch55,

You must remove your signature, it violates the size requirements of our forum and also features vulgar language we do not allow in the message board.

Thanks,

Canesmash

lol? where is there vulgar language?

lol? where is there vulgar language?

He's referring to Orpik. Orpik isn't very popular around here. :lol:

Penguin fan, thanks for this posting. We've been waiting for a post to analyze to show the good people in Raleigh what you are about to do. Sadly, you didn't pull all the stops out. Perhaps, after game 1, you'll help us out with a better post?

Let's take this apart. Firstly, we see the claim of that, without using the word "we" implies "we". "It's nice to be playing a team..." Penguin fan, as you in Carolina will soon see, believes the Penguins are an extension of him (or her) and will juxtapose on-ice success onto himself (or herself) and will then use this to define their identity. So, be prepared for a lot of "we" beat you and "we're" better than you.

Secondly, they will make as many references to beating another team as possible. "despises us [there it is again, unity with the team, even though Penguin fan doesn't play for the team] for beating them all the time ... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON." This is a good sentence. Fans of teams in the old Patrick Division don't hate Pittsburgh because the Penguins beat them all the time. We hate their fans because of their fans' behavior. What you will see, as this sentence hints at, Penguin fan takes more joy in watching the Penguins beat another team than they do in the joy of a Penguins win. As this sentence demonstrates, a Penguin win will give them the freedom and feeling of right to attack every resident of Raleigh (or every person who roots for the Canes) as being inferior to Pittsburgh, Penguin fans, and the Penguins.

How do you handle this? Well, there is the Ted Leonsis method. But, that just annoys them and they hire attorneys to sue ownership. Really, we don't recommend the Ted Leonsis method, even though it drives them insane. There is the Philadelphia/New Jersey method. But, the judges don't really appreciate it nor will your probation officer. The "Ivy League Method" doesn't not seem to work as well as you'd think. This method involves nodding your head, and thinking, "when it's time to fire people on the line, we'll just look for the people in black and gold and 'take care of this.'" However, unemployment only seems to empower them; it gives them more free time to tour the world with the Penguins. They use their stimulus money to purchase more Penguins' gear and Penguins' tickets. Thus, we recommend you treat them like the Chicken Pox. Don't itch them (ie, reply), don't let it annoy you (the more you think about them, the more they get to you) and just let nature take it's course (the series will, eventually, be over and they will leave.).

Penguin fans, can you cut and paste some of your greatest hits from the Flyer and Caps message boards for us? It will help us prepare the Caniacs. Thanks!

This is me not taking the bait.

Sooo tempting, but I'm not here to start a fight, or continue one that someone else is trying to fight. Just here to talk hockey. As for the "LOOKING AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON" bit... they're our two fiercest rivals. Carolina has Ronnie Franchise behind the bench, Tom Barasso as a goaltender coach, Jordan Staal's big brother and Coach Cowher ringin' bells. It's kind of hard to hate you guys.

Personally, growing up in the south myself, you're not going to hear any NASCAR, hillbilly jokes, etc. out of me, (I think the regional barbs are pretty stupid, too) but you seem to have made up your mind about our entire fanbase. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

This is me not taking the bait.

Sooo tempting, but I'm not here to start a fight, or continue one that someone else is trying to fight. Just here to talk hockey. As for the "LOOKING AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON" bit... they're our two fiercest rivals. Carolina has Ronnie Franchise behind the bench, Tom Barasso as a goaltender coach, Jordan Staal's big brother and Coach Cowher ringin' bells. It's kind of hard to hate you guys.

Personally, growing up in the south myself, you're not going to hear any NASCAR, hillbilly jokes, etc. out of me, (I think the regional barbs are pretty stupid, too) but you seem to have made up your mind about our entire fanbase. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Good post.

Hey guys and dolls,

As you could probably guess from the username, I am a Penguins fan. First of all, I want to congratulate the Canes on an amazing finish to the regular season and a couple series of big upsets. Very inspired hockey.

I like good hockey. Physical, defensive and hard working hockey. I am very much looking forward to the game on Monday night. I think the late series start will be especially good for Brindamour and Gonchar's respective injuries. The Canes have one of my all time favorite Penguins as an assistant coach. I think you can guess who. Francis was just about the only Pens forward in the 90's who would play any semblance of defense, even if he wouldn't finish his checks either.

From what I have seen of the Canes this year, they seem to play pretty hard and have defensemen who can really move the puck. Eric Staal is fun to watch. (And his brother Jordan is going to win a Selke trophy soon) What else should I know about them?

As far as the Pens go, this is by far the most physical Penguins team I have ever seen in my twenty plus years of watching the team. The forecheck is relentless, the defensemen are never out of position. Kunitz, Cooke, Craig Adams... the list of people who finish their checks and play solid defense is pretty long. Sidney Crosby is having an amazing playoffs. He is a really complete player. They had been running 7 defensemen due to Gonchar's injury and double shifting Crosby with the 4th line. You would swear he is everywhere at all times. Now if I could only get him and Malkin to finish their checks. :P

Here's to a good series!

Cheers.

just wait till the Pens lose a game, Nascar this, redneck that, theyre all the same. Saturday night at the RBC should be interesting, better call in the national guard.

I guess one of the first "non hockey" qiesions I would have for penguin fans is.."why do you guys wear Steeler jerseys to a hockey game"? I cant imagine me wearing a NY Giants jersey to a Hurricane game............

I guess one of the first "non hockey" qiesions I would have for penguin fans is.."why do you guys wear Steeler jerseys to a hockey game"? I cant imagine me wearing a NY Giants jersey to a Hurricane game............

My guess?

It's a Steeler nation. Steelers fans invade NFL arenas around the nation on a regular basis. There's just a LOT of displaced Pittsburghers and people (from all over the place) who became fans of the team back in the 70's. Football being the bigger sport, if, by chance, a Steelers fan happens to go to a Penguins game, they might figure it's better to show up wearing some sort of colors, than none at all. I'm willing to bet there are more Pittsburgh fans out there with Steelers jerseys than Penguins ones. I'm guessing it also has to do with our teams all sporting the same colors across the board. You couldn't exactly show up in a Panthers jersey at a Canes game w/o sticking out pretty well.

Your question doesn't make much sense, tho. Why WOULD you wear a New York Giants jersey to a hockey game in Carolina?

My guess?

It's a Steeler nation. Steelers fans invade NFL arenas around the nation on a regular basis. There's just a LOT of displaced Pittsburghers and people (from all over the place) who became fans of the team back in the 70's. Football being the bigger sport, if, by chance, a Steelers fan happens to go to a Penguins game, they might figure it's better to show up wearing some sort of colors, than none at all. I'm willing to bet there are more Pittsburgh fans out there with Steelers jerseys than Penguins ones. I'm guessing it also has to do with our teams all sporting the same colors across the board. You couldn't exactly show up in a Panthers jersey at a Canes game w/o sticking out pretty well.

Your question doesn't make much sense, tho. Why WOULD you wear a New York Giants jersey to a hockey game in Carolina?

We have Pitt fans who wear Steelers jerseys to canes games that do not involve pittsburg... at all.

We have the better Staal :P Can't wait for the series to begin. Hopefully it will be a well played series.

I get so sick of people running down Sidney Crosby. He is a great player and he plays a team game. He doesn't try to do everything himself like other players named OV. He represents the game well. Best of luck Pitts. Heres hoping Cam stays undefeated in the series department. Go Canes.

Hello Canes fans.

I'm a Pens fan, yes, horrible I know. I'm on the pens board too but under a different name, I felt like changing it up. Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself before the series got started. I'm really looking forward to this series and being able to actually talk hockey with an opposing teams fans without the whole Crosby is a crybaby/whiner/diver/whatever else you want to come up with being thrown around. To tell the truth the Canes scare me a bit. It looks like both teams like to play the same aggressive forecheck style. An aggressive forecheck tends to give the Pens fits, but I noticed that small forwards who are strong coming off of the boards gave the Canes a little trouble also.

I'm seeing two evenly matched teams here. Yes we have Crosby and Malkin for game breakers and you guys have Staal, but sometimes the pens can be beat by neutralizing Crosby and Malkin because sometimes our wingers don't show up, although we didn't have that problem last series. We were able to shut OV down because he isn't a make other players better kind of guy, but the Canes have a more balanced team so if they focus too much on Staal they definitely have wingers that will step in and fill the void.

I give the Canes the edge in goal, Ward has been a beast in these playoffs. Fleury can be a beast at times, see Game 3 in Philadelphia but he hasn't done that since so I have a feeling fans of both sides may be in for some near heart attacks this series.

I get so sick of people running down Sidney Crosby. He is a great player and he plays a team game. He doesn't try to do everything himself like other players named OV. He represents the game well.

It's just people that are jealous of Crosby and what he's accomplished. Those same people that run him down all the time would love to have him on their teams! In his rookie year, Crosby developed a reputation for whining and I don't totally disagree with it. I think the Flyers and their fans started all of that. He did whine about calls a little too much that year and take some dives as well. But, since then I don't think he's done any more whining or diving than any other player on the ice. I see other players in games whine all the time about calls and take dives and you don't hear much about it. They show Sid talking to a ref for 5 seconds about something and he's considered a whiner. He gets tripped by somebody and he just has to be taking a dive!

What else should I know about them?

joni piki is about the most deceptive d-man on the ice on our team. He can make 5-6 boneheaded plays a game, but he will make two or three plays a game that make it worth it, his passing skills (particularly when their are other finns on the ice) has been something else and he logs serious ice time. He won't knock anyone out, but hes nasty when he has to be. he is very fast for a big guy as well. Corvo is known for his offense, but he has really become a much better all around player for the most part, and when he is uh-oh corvo as they called him in ottowa, he is always there with the back-pressure, also very fast imo.

Jussi is a deadly, if the game is on the line keep your eyes out on him.

and you will be pleased to hear, babchuk has been the invisable man in the playoffs, benched for kaberle about 2 games too late imo.

I certainly welcome the civil hockey discussion. North Carolina's demographics are diverse, especially the RTP area near the RBC Center. I grew up in the north, and as a kid, was certainly a Pens fan. I moved here upon graduation from college in 1993. When the Whalers came to NC, I wasn't sure how that was going to work out. I went to a few Pens games once the Hurricanes moved to Raleigh, and found myself getting attached to MY NEW HOME team, the Hurricanes. We have several strong ties to former Pens, as have been mentioned. Our goalie coach, happened to be my childhood favorite goalie. Our assistant coach, happened to be one of my favorite offensemen...especially when paired with Mario. We both have Staal connections, and last year we had Ruutu connections. So, I came to be endeared to these underdog Canes/Former Whalers. We now have a great arena to play in, and a growing fan base. Just tonight, I saw several cars flying Hurricane Flags, and I live 2.5 hours away from the RBC Center down on the coast.

This will be a great series. I think its unfortunate for the rest of the US that all but one game of the last 2 series the Hurricanes played in didn't receive any national broadcasting. Most of the Hockey world has no idea who any of our players are, they have never seen us play, and many of these "analysts" have totally blown their "predictions". Our team is a hodge podge of players formerly of somewhere else that didn't want them, led by a great coach Maurice, and a great assistant coach Ronnie Francis. We have a great goalie that gets no recognition, aside from his Conn Smyth in 2006....because we're not YET a national market. While sometimes I think it is to our advantage to be constantly underestimated, I do feel sorry for some of our top players who never get the recognition they deserve because of our "non-traditional" market status.

The days of playing hockey on frozen ponds, and hockey being confined to northern climes has passed. We have numerous hockey arenas in North Carolina. We have local leagues, even down here on the coast where I live. We have college hockey teams, minor league teams ECHL in Fayetteville here. There is a hockey rink 5 miles from my house. How North Carolina is still deemed a "non-traditional" market boggles my mind in these times of modern ice rink technology.

I look forward to this series with a team from my former life. LETS GO CANES!!!!!!

I love all this kindness from the PENS fans and they should be treated with the same respect if you happen to stroll across thier boards.

Good luck PENS but, I AINT changing my views on Orpik!!