The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

I think its unfortunate for the rest of the US that all but one game of the last 2 series the Hurricanes played in didn't receive any national broadcasting. Most of the Hockey world has no idea who any of our players are, they have never seen us play, and many of these "analysts" have totally blown their "predictions". =

Amen brother

..... does a double-take to make sure she's still on a Carolina Hurricanes website ....... :huh:

I was relieved to recognize at least one friendly face!

Hmm... it is rather strange to see a bunch of Pens fans on here, being civilized, and us being civilized as well.

Let's see what happens to each others attitudes after the first game. ;)

Honestly, I WISH I could goto a sports bar with a bunch of Caniacs/Pens fans right now and enjoy the games... But around here, I think there's a couple of Pitts fans that are my friends, and no one else is a Canes fan. So, just be my wife and I going to sportsbar/grills with our assistant principal who's a diehard Pittsburgh fan(Pirates, Penguins, Steelers, whatever, she loves it)

I'm hoping for a great series (hopefully us winning) and looking forward to Monday night.

..... does a double-take to make sure she's still on a Carolina Hurricanes website ....... :huh:

Ain't that the friggin truth!

When are you all going to break out in a rendition of kumbaya?

Get with it!

The Steelgirls SUCK!

The Pirates...um well?...hmmm...they ride the short bus.

We all know where their former coach likes to hang out.

I can't wait until Ruutu or Cole checks the *edit* out of Crosby!

Cry me a river..here we go again.....may I remind you that professional sports is a BUSINESS......better watch out, with Philadelphias decling population and crumbling infrastructure the NHL may have a new team in 5 years called the Charlotte Flyers. Cheers...............

Don't be ridiculous. Charlotte would never keep the Flyers name. :rolleyes:

This is me not taking the bait.

Sooo tempting, but I'm not here to start a fight, or continue one that someone else is trying to fight. Just here to talk hockey. As for the "LOOKING AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON" bit... they're our two fiercest rivals. Carolina has Ronnie Franchise behind the bench, Tom Barasso as a goaltender coach, Jordan Staal's big brother and Coach Cowher ringin' bells. It's kind of hard to hate you guys.

Personally, growing up in the south myself, you're not going to hear any NASCAR, hillbilly jokes, etc. out of me, (I think the regional barbs are pretty stupid, too) but you seem to have made up your mind about our entire fanbase. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ok, now you've done it. That's it. Leaving Rutherford out. :lol: Seriously, didn't JR play for Pittsburg?

It's just people that are jealous of Crosby and what he's accomplished.

On the contrary, I think most people respect and admire the pure talent that Crosby has along with his ability to single handily be a game changer and different maker on the ice. Where I think people get annoyed is the way the league has shoved him down our throats and put the entire success of the league on his shoulders. For a small market like ours, we understand that we dont draw large TV audiences but its become ridiculous that VS or NBC wont cover any other team unless they're playing the Pens.

Anyone in their right mind would love to have him on their team and its been interesting to watch him develop into a real leader on your team. His days of whining about every call seem behind him and compared to the perceived arrogance of Ovechkin, Crosby plays the game with plenty of flash but not to draw attention to himself. I dont see it as jealousy, but more about annoyances from the way the league fawns all over him and forces him on every hockey fan.

Crosby has been put on a pedestal by the hockey world in Canada since he was 14-ish years old. Gretzky even said he might be the only one who could break all his records before the kid was even old enough to get his learner's permit to drive a car. The kid shows up every night and plays hard every shift. He plays great defense, and is turning from a playmaker into a very good goal scorer. His timing around the net and hand-eye coordination is unreal. Now if he would just learn to finish his forechecks with a shoulder instead of a wave of his stick. :)

You are absolutely right though. The league really over publicizes him to no end. You would swear he and Ovechkin were the only players in the last series. And there would be a serious argument there... both of them were amazing. I think all four teams left in the playoffs have plenty of marketability in their own right and I wish we heard more about them.

Hi there, Penguins fan here. It's nice to be playing a team that either A) we despise for beating us all the time (at least, back in the day) or B) despises us for beating them all the time... I'M LOOKIN AT YOU PHILLY AND WASHINGTON!

Hopefully we have a good series on our hands here. Seeing as how we've never faced each other in the playoffs and with so many variables out there, it's a tough call on this series. Obviously the Penguins fan in me wants a 4-0 shellacking so there's no stress. The hockey fan in me wants a game 7 overtime winner (although I doubt my heart could take it). But the realist in me has no idea what to expect out of this series.

I felt we were in pretty good shape against Philly. I knew Washington would be tough, but manageable... Carolina? No idea.

Here's to a great series and hopefully some good banter across the lines.

Cheers!

BobErrey!

Good to see you here.

This should be a great series. To all the Canes fans here; Congratulations. You have a great board here. It seems to be pretty well kept.

To be fair TSA, even when we are playing the Penguins, we're not put on NBC. Maybe it's not Crosby, maybe it's us :lol:

I will say this though: When Crosby came into the league, it was all but unbearable. Articles upon articles, every broadcast had to mention him, etc. The next coming of Gretzky and all that. And to make matters worse, his attitude on the ice did very little to warrant such attention. I think even Pittsburgh fans would have to admit when he first came into the league, he had a serious problem with whining to the officials.

That being said, he's earned back a lot of my respect lately. His skill on the ice has never been questioned, but the way he handles himself on the ice as of late is a noted improvement. I think the loss in the Finals last year did a lot to knock some sense into him. He's focused on winning the game now, not winning over the officials.

Crosby has been put on a pedestal by the hockey world in Canada since he was 14-ish years old. Gretzky even said he might be the only one who could break all his records before the kid was even old enough to get his learner's permit to drive a car. The kid shows up every night and plays hard every shift. He plays great defense, and is turning from a playmaker into a very good goal scorer. His timing around the net and hand-eye coordination is unreal. Now if he would just learn to finish his forechecks with a shoulder instead of a wave of his stick. :)

You are absolutely right though. The league really over publicizes him to no end. You would swear he and Ovechkin were the only players in the last series. And there would be a serious argument there... both of them were amazing. I think all four teams left in the playoffs have plenty of marketability in their own right and I wish we heard more about them.

To be fair, Crosby was the only Penguin to show up in games 1,2 and 6...

Speaking of marketing... you can bet we will hear more than enough about the Staal vs. Staal match-up. I've picked Carolina to make it to the ECF all post-season. Even though, barring Staal, they are lacking the top-end superstar talent that the Penguins have, the team is very cohesive, and the defense manages to pinch and create offense with-out giving up many odd-man rushes.

I hope the Penguins forecheck will be more than enough to knock some of their smaller, softer forwards off their game. If we can maintain the fore-check we saw in the final 4 games, we should have an edge and if we keep Ward moving side to side, we could take this in 5-6 games.

Ward can steal it, though. He may be great, but we wont see anything better than what Varlamov did in games 1-3. Of course we were 1-2 in those games...

Well the early years of Gretzky's career he had the same reputation of whining to the officials. I think maybe they are so used to getting every little touch called for them in the minors that it takes awhile for them to realize it's not always that way and you can't just fold up on contact on the pro level and draw a penalty.

The playoff runs have done wonders for the entire Penguins team as far as that goes. Last year they just cruised through to the Stanley Cup finals without having to learn that lesson. They were down 2 games to Detroit before they finally figured it out and they were much more competitive after that. It was like someone flipped a light switch on and they realized that penalties have to be pretty blatant to get called in the playoffs. The most surefire way to "draw" a penalty is to get position on someone with your speed and make them take you down instead of just collapsing like you were shot when someone puts a hand on you.

I don't care if the games are carried on NBC. I am thrilled that they are no longer on Fox Sports Pittsburgh for the year. Hearing Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey call games is no fun at all. They lack insight, aren't that funny and are a huge down grade from the Pens Hall of Fame announcer Mike Lange who was relegated to radio a couple years back for some reason. Mike Lange will always be the voice of the Penguins as far as I am concerned. And the FSN pre and post game shows with Jay Caufield is even worse.

haha yea this is gonn be a great series. i cant wait till monday. i fully expect to get treated like a troll to the fullest as it always happens no matter where i go lol. i try not to be that douchey fan that talk down to other teams and their fans. this is all in good fun.

as for the tomlin vs cowher i think tomlin wins that 1. hes been at every single game wearing a crosby jersey and sits right against the glass. cowher probably just sits up in his box and goes out to turn ur lil hurricane wheel lol

And it certainly doesn't help that you have Brooksie in your sig. PE #1 around these parts.

Edit: Sorry, went back and read the rest of the thread and it's already been discussed. Disregard. Wait, no, don't disregard. Get rid of it.

To be fair TSA, even when we are playing the Penguins, we're not put on NBC. Maybe it's not Crosby, maybe it's us :lol:
I thought about that too Frog, I thought GE owned NBC... I didn't know ESPN owned it instead. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

(sarcasm for those behind the curve)

we must smell funny... :mellow:

Hi, Guinsnation. Welcome to the board. Should be a good series. Congratulations on beating the Philly thugs and

the drama queens from Washington. Both the 'Canes and the Pens are sort of mirror images of one another. This

series should be similar to an extended practice for both teams. Everyone was gushing about the Capitals series,

but I think the Pens haven't even played their best hockey yet. We've seen flashes of brilliance from Fleury, but he

can do better, and do it more consistently. Some of the forwards (like Sykora) haven't gotten untracked yet, either.

The Penguins puck control in the offensive zone will be a major concern for the Hurricanes. They're very Detroit-like.

This series, to me, will be a lot of fast skating, a lot of scoring opportunities that will allow Ward and Fleury to shine,

and whoever buries their chances will win. If I were Byslma, I'd continue to dress 7 D-men until Gonchar has fully

recovered. He should have received a Norris Trophy nomination last year, imo. Glad he's somewhat healthy.

The double-shifting has worked out pretty well so far. Both teams added some people that have allowed guys to play

more to their strengths and their roles. It's given each team good forward depth. I think the Penguins defensemen

are actually better at moving the puck, while the 'Canes D will occasionally bomb in some wicked shots from the point

that makes it look like they're more involved than they really are. The deeper the Hurricanes go in the playoffs, the

more likely Kaberle will probably get more icetime than Babchuk on the blueline, just because of experience.

I think the four best teams are the ones left standing. I'm glad Chicago has a good, young hockey team to root for.

And I know a lot of Pittsburgh fans are looking forward to a rematch against Detroit. Still, let's not get ahead of our-

selves. As I said, this should be an entertaining series.

Thanks. I have to say beating the Flyers and Caps in the playoffs is always an exciting challenge. Long time bitter rivals have a tendency to be that way. Plus you could say that I am not a fan of Scott Hartnell or Alex Ovechkin or Alex Semin even. Fleury was amazing against Philly and mediocre most of the Caps series. Two of Ovechkin's goals were a result of Fleury mishandling the puck in his own zone. He is very lucky that his team pulled him into the next round. I do hope Fleury settles his play down and can be the consistent goalie that he has the potential to be. I am glad that Gonchar was able to come back and the Pens were able to pull out that series. Losing a top defense man and then the series to a questionable hit would have been rough.

You are right that the Pens defense seems to be moving the puck up ice at will this year. Orpik and Gonchar carry the puck with a lot of speed. Letang too. Hal Gill has really impressed me with his long tape to tape outlet passes this year. Scuderi is amazing as a stay at home defense man and Mark Eaton has as unexpected 4 goals in the playoffs.

Sykora was benched for Miro Satan half way through the Flyers series. He might be hurting, but they aren't reporting anything. I think the keys to the Canes doing well this series will be the defensemen being willing to take a hit to move the puck because the Pens forecheck is stifling and physical. It will be a short series if the defensemen cough the puck up or take retaliation penalties due to the Pens forecheck. Also the Canes will need to be patient and work for good shots down low because the Pens are really good at limiting shots by defensive positioning and shot blocking. They will keep the play to the outside and have everyone blocking shots. Against the Caps there always seemed to be three Penguins between the shooter and the goal.

I am not looking forward to a match up with Detroit. I have some friends who are Red Wings fans and I don't really want to deal with that again. I would rather the Pens have a rematch from their first Stanley Cup win against the Blackhawks. Depending on the outcome of the ECF's of course.

I just read that Orpik is leading the playoffs with 60 hits but I can't for the life of me remember any of them. Is it Monday yet?!?

....I am not looking forward to a match up with Detroit. I have some friends who are Red Wings fans and I don't really want to deal with that again. I would rather the Pens have a rematch from their first Stanley Cup win against the Blackhawks. Depending on the outcome of the ECF's of course...

Thanks for visiting. If there is anything else we can do for the Pens while they're taking a southern vacation, then please let us know. We're grateful for being on the ice with such a young talent as Crosby. Enjoy your stay.

This should be a great series, if the late season game between these two teams is any indication of what's to come.

My recollection of that game (besides the Penalty Shot and breakaway stops by Wardo) is the match-ups. The top lines were well matched, and the Canes were ok. The guys like Kennedy and Talbot Gave the Cane's 3rd and 4th line fits. Especially Kennedy, who I think scored and assisted. Things have changed on those lines since that game, but both teams are deep so there won't be real weakness to exploit. I'm sure there is a GDT/PGA on that game somewhere around here, or in archives.

I don't think this will be like the Pens/Caps series with headliners scoring most of the goals. I wanted this series for pure hockey enjoyment, and feel the Canes would have had a better shot against the Caps. This will be the toughest series for the Canes.

Thanks for visiting. If there is anything else we can do for the Pens while they're taking a southern vacation, then please let us know. We're grateful for being on the ice with such a young talent as Crosby. Enjoy your stay.

Pens fans coming on here posting about their matchups in the SCF's and we wonder why every series win is considered a fluke, maybe because the fans of the losing teams are looking to the next round before the series even starts. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that every game the Canes win in this series will be because Pittsburgh didnt play to their potential.

Its nice not to have to worry about which goalie will show up, we know Cam will be there but I'm not so sure about 'Question Mark Andre Fleury'.

Don't get too ahead of yourselves looking to the SCF, one series at a time. Since most have not yet seen the Canes play, a gander at the links in Hctimo's signature line should do the trick.

I will preface my post by saying ANYONE BUT DETROIT! I cheered for the Pens in the SCF last year and have grown to like them. No one denies that they are a good team.

Second, there is no way this series ends in less than 6 games. Its going to be a fast paced and tight all the way down the stretch. Every game we played you guys this season was close and intense.

Third, I have to give the goal tending edge to Ward. Fleury has been brilliant at times but Ward has been consistently amazing for months now.

As far as the Canes not being able to keep up with the Pens forwards, I'm not as convinced that this will be the case. Our D is very under-rated. Guys like Pitkanen and Corvo are well suited for this match up if you ask me simply because they can skate well. I'm actually less concerned about Malkin and Crosby than Guerin who has a tendency to get in the goaltenders crease and make things difficult for him. If the Pens want to win, thats what will do it IMO.

As far as physicality goes, I am looking forward to this series. The Pens are not overwhelmingly bigger than the Canes so there should be a lot of back and forth. At times when playing the Bruins we avoided laying out hits because we didn't want to start anything we couldnt finish. I dont think that will be the case with the Pens. Although, we do have a history of injuries against the Pens- Coles neck, Brindys knee.... Lets hope those were just flukes.

It has been touched on but I will say it again - Orpik vs Cole. I am not sure if this will improve Cole's game or hinder it. Will he be looking over his shoulder every time he goes to the boards or will he be trying to prove something? Will there be another fight between the two?

Canes need to tighten up in their D-zone to win this series, its almost like when the opposing team sustains any type of presure down low all the Canes players start to stand around deciding whether to concentrate on positioning or to attack the puck carrier, its gotta be one or the other. This may be easier against the Pens because they will be able to win more physical puck battles, I think the fact that the Bruins were so big and physical down low made the Canes become passive.