The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

Come on people, this is going to be a long series. Go to another board if you're looking to start a fire storm.

My guess?

It's a Steeler nation. Steelers fans invade NFL arenas around the nation on a regular basis. There's just a LOT of displaced Pittsburghers and people (from all over the place) who became fans of the team back in the 70's. Football being the bigger sport, if, by chance, a Steelers fan happens to go to a Penguins game, they might figure it's better to show up wearing some sort of colors, than none at all. I'm willing to bet there are more Pittsburgh fans out there with Steelers jerseys than Penguins ones. I'm guessing it also has to do with our teams all sporting the same colors across the board. You couldn't exactly show up in a Panthers jersey at a Canes game w/o sticking out pretty well.

Your question doesn't make much sense, tho. Why WOULD you wear a New York Giants jersey to a hockey game in Carolina?

A fair question mate......I wouldnt wear a NY Giants jersey to a Canes game, irregardless of "the Giant nation" which in this area is quite large..along with Buffalo, pittsburgh, Boston,NJ, Detroit, NY Rangers, Toronto, etc fans that reside here now if you catch my drift. Im at a hockey game, not a football game.

Now, historical fact (and ive watched hockey since 1968) do you know WHY the Penguins changed their team colours (which I like better and their curent jersesys as well) from the old mint blue/dark blue to the black and gold? Its quite simple really.....pittsburgh management in the late 70s deciced after so many losing seasons and poor playoff performances that the team need a "psyc ops" change for a winning attitiude ala the steelers.................again, I prefer the old penguin jerssy myself..........it didnt work for several years.

Thats it for now........

Hello Canes fans.

I'm a Pens fan, yes, horrible I know. I'm on the pens board too but under a different name, I felt like changing it up. Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself before the series got started. I'm really looking forward to this series and being able to actually talk hockey with an opposing teams fans without the whole Crosby is a crybaby/whiner/diver/whatever else you want to come up with being thrown around. To tell the truth the Canes scare me a bit. It looks like both teams like to play the same aggressive forecheck style. An aggressive forecheck tends to give the Pens fits, but I noticed that small forwards who are strong coming off of the boards gave the Canes a little trouble also.

I'm seeing two evenly matched teams here. Yes we have Crosby and Malkin for game breakers and you guys have Staal, but sometimes the pens can be beat by neutralizing Crosby and Malkin because sometimes our wingers don't show up, although we didn't have that problem last series. We were able to shut OV down because he isn't a make other players better kind of guy, but the Canes have a more balanced team so if they focus too much on Staal they definitely have wingers that will step in and fill the void.

I give the Canes the edge in goal, Ward has been a beast in these playoffs. Fleury can be a beast at times, see Game 3 in Philadelphia but he hasn't done that since so I have a feeling fans of both sides may be in for some near heart attacks this series.

Yes and welcome and jolly good luck to your penguins...........already Im impressed by many penguin posters here...id like to post on the penguinboard but i think theyve closed it down.....why? iIll keep trying however.

yes I was impressed with the low key level headed play of Crosby against the Caps. Semin for the Caps had no right to downplay Crosy..it came back to bite him didnt it? He will be a force to be reckoned with but please be advised that the Hurricanes have some of the smartest management and players around........they will figure a way to at least stay competative thru the series with the pens.........

I agree......EVERY team should be very worried about this Hurricane team...almost a no name achiever with savvy vets from 2006, an excellant quiet and likeable goaltender and a fan base that easily rivals the best of them.....but the 'Canes are flyong under the radar..again........and we like it that way........

I think this series will be very similar to the buffalo series of 2006.............good luck to your team and Jordan Staah is a class act on the ice...............I like your old uniforms better...............cheers for now

Canes need to tighten up in their D-zone to win this series, its almost like when the opposing team sustains any type of presure down low all the Canes players start to stand around deciding whether to concentrate on positioning or to attack the puck carrier, its gotta be one or the other. This may be easier against the Pens because they will be able to win more physical puck battles, I think the fact that the Bruins were so big and physical down low made the Canes become passive.

There's a reason Marion Hossa bailed out on the Pens last year...and we're about to found out why.

Come on people, this is going to be a long series. Go to another board if you're looking to start a fire storm.

Also in response to the above. It's fairly well documented why Hossa left Pittsburgh for Detroit. He felt Detroit gave him the best chance to win a Stanley Cup. He was well respected by the players, and still is. But a lot of our fans carry a lot of bad blood over the timing of it all. If he had made his decision sooner, we might have been able to pursue some better free agents to replace him.

Some might argue that we're a deeper team with Guerin/Kunitz than with all that salary tied up in Hossa, anyway. Although Kunitz hasn't done much at all in the playoffs. (although he continues his physical play and is more than willing to do the dirty work of digging the pucks out of the corners, he hasn't put much up on the scoresheet)

any pens fan who is already thinking about a SCF rematch is gonna be in for a rude awakening. This is going to be 1 of the toughest series to be played all playoffs. Carolina is a very mature, deep, consistent hockey team. they dont take a lot of penalties, they have a killer PK. probably the best goalie left the in the playoffs. and 2 D pairings who can handles the crosby/malkin lines. Carolina isnt gonna let crosby just sit around the net all he wants like the caps did. Im not gonna be shocked at all if we lose this series, and it really wont bother me to much. We had a horrible year so with the prospect of not even making the playoffs i became ready for the offseason 2 months ago lol.

any pens fan who is already thinking about a SCF rematch is gonna be in for a rude awakening. This is going to be 1 of the toughest series to be played all playoffs. Carolina is a very mature, deep, consistent hockey team. they dont take a lot of penalties, they have a killer PK. probably the best goalie left the in the playoffs. and 2 D pairings who can handles the crosby/malkin lines. Carolina isnt gonna let crosby just sit around the net all he wants like the caps did. Im not gonna be shocked at all if we lose this series, and it really wont bother me to much. We had a horrible year so with the prospect of not even making the playoffs i became ready for the offseason 2 months ago lol.

Pretty fair post and thanks...the games we had with the pens this year were entertaining....both teams are very similar...ye the pens clawed their way back from a tough start and it also took Carolina a while to figure themselves out........one thing you may find interesting on this board as opposed to many other hockey teams.....canes fans feel no sense of 'entitlement" to winning a series or the Stanley Cup......we consider ourselves quite fortunate, maybe even lucky to be here but this team certainly has earned its place............good luck to your team

Y'all, take care of Bob Erry here. We're pretty sure he posted on Caps and Flyers' message boards during the first and second round. He does have class and is knowledgeable about hockey. Just watch, he'll praise the Canes and Penguins just as fast as he'll br critical of both teams. He's fair and likes hockey. Plus, when you provoke him, he's got some great and witty retorts. If Bob shows up in Raleigh for a game buy him a drink or two. (No sarcasm here; he's a good egg.)

As for the Washington fans and the urinal behavior, it did not represent the city well. Apparently, the Caps' owner was pretty angry at it.

Bob, any suggestions for Canes fans as to places to stay, pubs to visit, and things to do in Pittsburgh? We strongly recommend swinging by PNC Park if you get a chance. It's one of the top parks in MLB.

Yep, pure class.

Pretty fair post and thanks...the games we had with the pens this year were entertaining....both teams are very similar...ye the pens clawed their way back from a tough start and it also took Carolina a while to figure themselves out........one thing you may find interesting on this board as opposed to many other hockey teams.....canes fans feel so sense of 'entitlement" to winning a series or the Stanley Cup......we consider ourselves quite fortunate, maybe even lucky to be here but this team certainly has earned its place............good luck to your team

yea some pens fans have the feeling the pens are entitled to many things. and it does get quite annoying at times. i always try and stay on a level head and see things both ways. theres nothing wrong with the absolute homer who thinks he knows everything and what not, but when u get a *edit* load of them together its impossible to reason with anyone lol. I just feel lucky and am happy we made it this far. The pens are the first team to make the conference finals the year after losing the SCF since 1996. so to me that in its self is an accomplishment. As much as i would love us to win another cup i dont have unrealistic expectations.

Y'all, take care of Bob Erry here. We're pretty sure he posted on Caps and Flyers' message boards during the first and second round. He does have class and is knowledgeable about hockey. Just watch, he'll praise the Canes and Penguins just as fast as he'll br critical of both teams. He's fair and likes hockey. Plus, when you provoke him, he's got some great and witty retorts. If Bob shows up in Raleigh for a game buy him a drink or two. (No sarcasm here; he's a good egg.)

As for the Washington fans and the urinal behavior, it did not represent the city well. Apparently, the Caps' owner was pretty angry at it.

Bob, any suggestions for Canes fans as to places to stay, pubs to visit, and things to do in Pittsburgh? We strongly recommend swinging by PNC Park if you get a chance. It's one of the top parks in MLB.

We're pretty sure letsgocanes2009 and Bob Erry are the same person...

PNC park is absolutely beautiful and its cheap as hell to see a pirate game so if people are in town for a few days and have some extra time they really should check it out. theres a couple lil bars around PNC park like 222,high tops couple others. then if you go to carson street theres bars up and down the street sp you have free reign of choice lol. There is a Pens bar right around the mellon arena i just can remember its name atm lol. Canes fans will more than likely be well respected and treated nicely. The only time ive seen pens fans get on opposing fans at a game or bar was philly fans. cuz theres nothing we hate more

:lol:

Repeat, this is me not taking the bait. No matter how bad you want me to turn out to be a pot shot taking troll, it's not going to happen.

As for the question about where to stay and what to do in Pittsburgh, I've only been there for one weekend. I'll see what I can dig up on the Penguins forums, tho. I seem to recall a thread or two that lists all the good stuff you should check out if you get up that way.

http://msgboard.pittsburghpenguins.com/index.php?showtopic=22694&hl=Primanti' target="_blank">http://msgboard.pittsburghpenguins.com/ind...amp;hl=Primanti[/post]

I hope you can read this, should be able to even with registration shut down. It's a pretty good thread of stuff to do in Pittsburgh while you visit. Whatever you do, have a Primanti's sandwich.

Well if greeting posts on both boards are any indication, I think these two fanbases will treat each other with class and respect, which would be absolutely wonderful so we can all just be hockey fans!

Let's all, Caniacs and Pens fans alike, do our best and make a conscious effort to be civil. After the Boston series and all of the unnecessary trash talk and prejudicial insults we received (and probably dealt a little too), it would be great to have a clean, enjoyable series for us all to discuss. I'm not saying we all hold hands and sing koom-by-ya, after all we want the OTHER team to lose, but I hope we can rise above insults and maintain civility, and in the process enjoy some awesome playoff hockey.

Canes in 6!

Don't fool yourself this board will break out like a Holy War before this series is over.

I love all this kindness from the PENS fans and they should be treated with the same respect if you happen to stroll across thier boards.

Good luck PENS but, I AINT changing my views on Orpik!!

I'm praying that the Orpik situation will motivate Cole this series. He has been no show so far in the playoffs and we need a big series from him to have a chance.

Nope, we're not the same person. Bob Erry supports the Penguins and all with the password to "Letsgocanes2009" support the Islanders, Flyers, Caps, Rangers, Devils, and Rangers. It sickens us to remotely think about supporting the Penguins just as it surely sickens a Penguin fan to support one of the aforementioned teams. Bob's just a good egg and we support good eggs even if they root for Satan's Little Helper... we mean Santa's Little Helper. (Freudian slip, our bad)

To the Pens fans: Do us a favor and dont post the same night as a Pens win, we dont need to hear why the Pens won or Canes lost. We need at least 12 hours to totally throw our own team under the bus before outsiders start chiming in.

To the Pens fans: Do us a favor and dont post the same night as a Pens win, we dont need to hear why the Pens won or Canes lost. We need at least 12 hours to totally throw our own team under the bus before outsiders start chiming in.

I'm down with that. Perfectly reasonable request.

Nope, we're not the same person. Bob Erry supports the Penguins and all with the password to "Letsgocanes2009" support the Islanders, Flyers, Caps, Rangers, Devils, and Rangers. It sickens us to remotely think about supporting the Penguins just as it surely sickens a Penguin fan to support one of the aforementioned teams. Bob's just a good egg and we support good eggs even if they root for Satan's Little Helper... we mean Santa's Little Helper. (Freudian slip, our bad)

Personally, I have no problems with the Rangers, Devils and the only thing I don't like about the Islanders, is what happened in the 1992-93 playoffs. I know the hit on Kevin Stevens was clean, but it was really hard to watch and it effectively ended his career as we knew it. Then they knock us out and deny the three-peat. But I don't really have any problems with their fans. I just can't stand the Flyers because of that (was it?) 15 year drought where we never won in their building, and the way most of their fans act.

haha i can do that. i totally understand :lol:

Hey now. Don't ever throw this year's Canes under the bus. A lot of what you are going to blame the Canes for doing (or not doing) is the result of the talent of the Penguins.

Don't ever toss the Canes under the bus. Last year, at this time, y'all were trying to figure out how the Canes missed the playoffs. Now, this season is a gift; what a memorable run. Look at the teams they have come through and look at how they came through them -- NJ (some of us are still bitter about this, but we blame Brodeur; he probably focused more on taking out Roy and the Canes were just more focused and better) then it was Boston who was the best team in the East from week 1. The Canes players have shown nothing but character and toughness. Sure, they play because they love hockey, but that extra spring comes from the cheers of the Caniacs. Talk about a testament to the people of Raleigh and Canes management -- Maurice came back and he's not like Billy Martin (had to dig on my Yankee loving colleague here). What we're saying - get frustrated with them but never, under any circumstances, stop cheering for them. Y'all are part of one of the greatest Eastern Conference Playoffs ever.

For a great example of what y'all should do at the end of the series, even if the Penguins beat the Canes, find out what the Caps fans and Caps players did for each other at the end of that atrocious Game 7. Even as the Penguins were destroying the Caps, the fans stood for the final 2 or 3 minutes cheering. After the handshakes, the team and fans cheered for each other. It was one of the classiest things I have seen at the end of a hockey game. (Oh, Penguin fans, see if you can get the video of Ovechkin's handshake with Crosby and his handshake with Gonchar. He was congratulating Crosby and giving him encouragement on the next round in a way that surprised Crosby with how genuine it was and he was apologizing to Gonchar. From what we know of Brind'Amour, Staal, and company, they are just as classy.)

Hey now. Don't ever throw this year's Canes under the bus. A lot of what you are going to blame the Canes for doing (or not doing) is the result of the talent of the Penguins.

Don't ever toss the Canes under the bus. Last year, at this time, y'all were trying to figure out how the Canes missed the playoffs. Now, this season is a gift; what a memorable run. Look at the teams they have come through and look at how they came through them -- NJ (some of us are still bitter about this, but we blame Brodeur; he probably focused more on taking out Roy and the Canes were just more focused and better) then it was Boston who was the best team in the East from week 1. The Canes players have shown nothing but character and toughness. Sure, they play because they love hockey, but that extra spring comes from the cheers of the Caniacs. Talk about a testament to the people of Raleigh and Canes management -- Maurice came back and he's not like Billy Martin (had to dig on my Yankee loving colleague here). What we're saying - get frustrated with them but never, under any circumstances, stop cheering for them. Y'all are part of one of the greatest Eastern Conference Playoffs ever.

For a great example of what y'all should do at the end of the series, even if the Penguins beat the Canes, find out what the Caps fans and Caps players did for each other at the end of that atrocious Game 7. Even as the Penguins were destroying the Caps, the fans stood for the final 2 or 3 minutes cheering. After the handshakes, the team and fans cheered for each other. It was one of the classiest things I have seen at the end of a hockey game. (Oh, Penguin fans, see if you can get the video of Ovechkin's handshake with Crosby and his handshake with Gonchar. He was congratulating Crosby and giving him encouragement on the next round in a way that surprised Crosby with how genuine it was and he was apologizing to Gonchar. From what we know of Brind'Amour, Staal, and company, they are just as classy.)

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in his post but great Jimmy V speech regardless ;)

Hey now. Don't ever throw this year's Canes under the bus. A lot of what you are going to blame the Canes for doing (or not doing) is the result of the talent of the Penguins....

Don't worry, we won't throw 'em under. It's just that the Pens are so good and their fans are so, so, so....??? I can't find the right words, yet. I can't wait to see Crosby with my own eyes. It'll be a real treat. ;)

Hello Canes fans.

I'm a Pens fan, yes, horrible I know. I'm on the pens board too but under a different name, I felt like changing it up. Just thought I would pop in and introduce myself before the series got started. I'm really looking forward to this series and being able to actually talk hockey with an opposing teams fans without the whole Crosby is a crybaby/whiner/diver/whatever else you want to come up with being thrown around. To tell the truth the Canes scare me a bit. It looks like both teams like to play the same aggressive forecheck style. An aggressive forecheck tends to give the Pens fits, but I noticed that small forwards who are strong coming off of the boards gave the Canes a little trouble also.

I'm seeing two evenly matched teams here. Yes we have Crosby and Malkin for game breakers and you guys have Staal, but sometimes the pens can be beat by neutralizing Crosby and Malkin because sometimes our wingers don't show up, although we didn't have that problem last series. We were able to shut OV down because he isn't a make other players better kind of guy, but the Canes have a more balanced team so if they focus too much on Staal they definitely have wingers that will step in and fill the void.

I give the Canes the edge in goal, Ward has been a beast in these playoffs. Fleury can be a beast at times, see Game 3 in Philadelphia but he hasn't done that since so I have a feeling fans of both sides may be in for some near heart attacks this series.

After the past two series, I think I have become immune to heart attacks. In fact, I have become accustomed to dramatic finishes from the Canes. I am not sure, now, my ticker could handle anything else. I am looking forward to this series and hope the good natured banter between Canes and Pens fans contnues. After all, it is our love of the game that we have in common.

Crosby may be a good hockey player, but he still can't grow a beard. :P

And that moustache of his looks like he just ate a bag of oreos!!

Canes in 7.