The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

So far the Pens fans who have been posting in this thread have done a great job not responding to the baiters. Let's try to keep it that way through the whole series?

I can't imagine tha Canes fans are going to blame the refs like the Caps/Flyers fans constantly did. Pretty incredible to think that the Caps can blame the refs when they were outplayed in the entire series. Some people just couldn't see the domination, espeically later in the series.

Let's Go Pens!

We understand and agree to all the terms/requests in there. We're going to change the password so our pal in DC can't make postings. He's still bitter.

Good luck to each and every one of you Caniacs (yes, we are jealous of you). Good luck to the Penguin fans (over the summer, we promise, we'll root for the Pirates except when they play the Nats, Mets, or Phillies.) In the end, all of us promise to root for the Eastern Conference, whoever represents it.

Next year, when the Canes play one of the teams we root for, y'all are invited to meet one of us for drinks before the game. (Even you Penguin fans; if *edit* Cheney can shake Nancy Pelosi's hand, then we can shake your's.)

LET'S GO HOCKEY! LET'S PROVE TO THOSE WHO THINK THE NBA PLAYOFFS ARE GREAT WHICH SPORT HAS THE BEST PLAYOFFS AND WHICH TROPHY IS HARDEST TO WIN!

Canadian Penguins fan here (Winnipeg). Just wanna add my two cents and say that I really respect the way the fan base has developed down there. The arena looks like it is rocking on TV, and gives a great atmosphere.

Props, and although I respect Canes fans, and the Canes as a team, I won't be happy unless you all are really un-happy in a few weeks. ;)

Being a Pen's fan since 1989, this is the first time I have ever had to cheer against a team from the state I was born and raised. As much as I love NC, Let's Go Pens!

We're pretty sure letsgocanes2009 and Bob Erry are the same person...

I can vouch for him. It isn't.

Also, I guess I should give my prediction.

Pens in 5; This isn't a knock on your team, but having watched almost all the games from the Eastern Conference play-offs, I see Pittsburgh as more fit to win this series. Our secondary scorers (actually, everyone out-side of Sidney Crosby) were barely touched last round. We had an unfortunate miss-hap with the Ovechkin knee-on-knee to Gonchar, but other than that, few players on our team have been targeted and few have had to face the rigors that most of the 'Canes line up has. Even Malkin.

I also believe that as a team we match-up better and the extra days rest should do us very well.

Because of those factors, the series all comes down the 'Canes goaltending. If Cam Ward can shut the door like he has against the Pens in the past, this could be a Carolina. Although again, I don't expect to see any more from Ward than what we saw out of Varlamov for 5 of the 7 games we just played.

How the team reacts to Orpik is a big factor. Getting penalties on him after he delivers hits or clears out the front of the net could be a dagger to your team. It's our hope (as Pens fans) that the grudge is still there. For the Hurricanes sake, the coaching staff better be telling the team that the Eastern Conference Final is nowhere to act upon grudges or even up any old scores.

Not sure comparing Varlamov to Ward is a fair comparison. Once he was exposed it didn't matter what WSH did. I'm pretty sure the team is veteran enough to know this isn't about settling any old scores.

I can see where he's coming from in the comparison between Varley and Ward. To an extent. Varley seemed to be at his best when his positional play was rock solid. Seems like a LOT of our shots were hitting him square in the chest. From what I've seen of Thomas, he's more of a floppy, scrambler than a solid positional goaltender.

I don't think he's knocking Ward in that comparison. I think he might be saying that we're going against a really good positional goaltender, who will make big saves, but can be beaten. The most obvious difference between Varley and Ward being the severe lack of experience for Varley.

I think we're in for a tougher job against Ward, but it's going to come down to the same issue. Good positional goaltender, gotta make him move laterally and set up a moving screen.

DISCLAIMER: Obviously I'm a Penguins fan first and foremost. My observations on Ward are based on fairly limited viewing of his abilities. I've only watched him play a few games this season. So if I'm way off base, please feel free to expound on the intricacies of his game. That's the main reason I'm here. To get the Hurricane's fan's opinions about their team and it's players. I've seen Fleury play enough to know pretty darned well what to expect. Until he goes behind the net with the puck, that is... that's anybody's guess :P

Being a Pen's fan since 1989, this is the first time I have ever had to cheer against a team from the state I was born and raised. As much as I love NC, Let's Go Pens!

Thats OK.....a good percentage of my fellow "caniacs" will be faced with that same dilemma......root for the visitors and wear their jersey with pride or stick with your new team, our team. When i moved here 10 years ago I easily divorced myself from the NY rangers who I grew up with. It was quite easy for me, and I had no problem leaving the many fond memories of them in my youth back there.

I am glad I am not faced with the dilemma for those living here being torn between the loyalties of the past and that for your new home and team. Thats their decision of course, for our area draws in people from all over as opposed to most other NHL cities.........but in our diversity as a crowd lies our strength in the "caniac nation"...........

I never submitted to the fact that just becasue you were born in a city or state that you HAD to support them. I am loyal to the Hurricanes because I like their brand of play, the RBC atmosphere and the community overall. Cheers

Is it Monday yet? :D

I know, right? I'm torn. I want to enjoy the weekend. The thought of anticipating Monday is something foreign to me. But I want this series to get on the road. I think the toughest part is going to be dealing with the extended layoff between games during this round...

I can vouch for him. It isn't.

Pens in 5; This isn't a knock on your team, but having watched almost all the games from the Eastern Conference play-offs, I see Pittsburgh as more fit to win this series. Our secondary scorers (actually, everyone out-side of Sidney Crosby) were barely touched last round. We had an unfortunate miss-hap with the Ovechkin knee-on-knee to Gonchar, but other than that, few players on our team have been targeted and few have had to face the rigors that most of the 'Canes line up has. Even Malkin.

I also believe that as a team we match-up better and the extra days rest should do us very well.

Because of those factors, the series all comes down the 'Canes goaltending. If Cam Ward can shut the door like he has against the Pens in the past, this could be a Carolina. Although again, I don't expect to see any more from Ward than what we saw out of Varlamov for 5 of the 7 games we just played.

How the team reacts to Orpik is a big factor. Getting penalties on him after he delivers hits or clears out the front of the net could be a dagger to your team. It's our hope (as Pens fans) that the grudge is still there. For the Hurricanes sake, the coaching staff better be telling the team that the Eastern Conference Final is nowhere to act upon grudges or even up any old scores.

Good post.......pens in 5? Hmm, how about the 'Canes in 6. Dont worry about the Orpik thing....oh he will get a few boos from the crowd but I think Cole is smarter and more mature to let the past be the past.........lets see.

I think the random element many "experts" are forgetting is that this curent Hurricane team seems to thrive on the away ice............Ward is ward and yes he will get beaten on occasion but I think Id rather have him than Fleury.......the records and history speak for themselves.............

If the Canes do go down in 5 it will because becasue they survived 2 7 game series against superior(IMO) opppnents and goal tenders..........records speak for themselves................

Canes in 6 with us tealing Game 1............your thoughts.

Good post.......pens in 5? Hmm, how about the 'Canes in 6. Dont worry about the Orpik thing....oh he will get a few boos from the crowd but I think Cole is smarter and more mature to let the past be the past.........lets see.

I think the random element many "experts" are forgetting is that this curent Hurricane team seems to thrive on the away ice............Ward is ward and yes he will get beaten on occasion but I think Id rather have him than Fleury.......the records and history speak for themselves.............

If the Canes do go down in 5 it will because becasue they survived 2 7 game series against superior(IMO) opppnents and goal tenders..........records speak for themselves................

Canes in 6 with us tealing Game 1............your thoughts.

I don't think there's any question the Canes have played the superior opponents this post season. Although Boston kind of backed into the playoffs, the same could be said for Washington. We took different paths. We ended up dealing with more of a run and gun style first half, you folks had to deal with squads who tend to think defense first. Not that New Jersey and Boston don't have guys that will hurt you on the scoreboard, but I wouldn't say they have the offensive depth of Philly, or the front loaded talent of Washington.

One thing is for sure, you guys had to face 2 better goaltenders, I don't think that can even be argued.

Guys:

I'm a Pens fan coming in peace.

We will be having a Conference Finals preview (both East and West, and we will be objective and not Pens homers) show Sunday morning, beginning at 10 am on 92.1 WPTS (Pittsburgh area). Best bet is to listen online:

http://audio.wpts.pitt.edu:8000/wpts_live_20m.mp3.m3u

Bryan and Ryan will host the show, and we will be taking calls from fans all over. Call in at (412) 383-9787. Unfortunately, we only have 1 phone line -- but we will be throwing callers directly on the air. The show will last for at least an hour, and we will continue as long as needed.

We will be looking for people to call in from all over to give us different perspectives. Join us tomorrow morning, call in - we will get you on the air and talk some hockey.

good analysis, Pittsburgh is really good and something about Cam Ward. I dont mind you giving an opinion on the series but you either chose not to provide analysis on how Pitt will expose the Canes weaknesses or you have limited knowledge of the Canes team. If the latter is the case then your opinion doesnt mean much to me.

Exactly what BobErrey said.

That wasn't a knock on Ward. Trust me, I'm pretty sure any hockey fan, if given the choice to ride Ward or Varlamov through a play-off run, would pick Ward. I was simply saying that they are very much the same type of goaltender, and when I said we probably won't see any better from Ward than we did Varlamov, I meant Varlamov was playing to pretty much the highest level a goaltender of that breed can play at for the first 5 games of the series. Unfortunately, the team infront of him sat back on that a bit much, and we peppered him with 40+ shots a night, and by the end of game 5, he had nothing left.

Ward and Varlamov are also very much alike in you won't beat them much unless you have them going side to side, something the Pens started doing a lot more after game 2, and it paid off. If we play Ward the way we played Varlamov for most of that series, we should see the same results, I just don't expect Ward to ever drop off that bad in a game 7.

And yes, your team is a good balance of players in their prime and veterans, but whenever I see Cole play against Orpik, he seems to do stupid things. Of course, the regular season and the post-season are two totally different things, and I'm sure Cole is fully aware of that.

I think it breaks down into two simple factors:

1. Carolina's ability to limit Crosby - Crosby's been a big factor on both the Penguins series, especially the last one. He's playing like a man possessed right now, and as long as Carolina can limit the chances he's given (you're not keeping him completely contained), it's a big boost in their favor.

2. MAF's ability to match Ward - Pittsburgh's ability to win the series depends on which Fleury shows up. He's done enough for his team to win both series, but a lot can be attributed to the team in front of him. He's had an average showing at best. He's got to play above average if he wants to outduel Ward.

With both Staal and Malkin being inconsistent as can be in the postseason, neither one could be considered a legitimate factor, unless one shows up while the other doesn't. Whichever one does, that team has the edge. If they both do or don't, it evens out.

Depth, better "X" than the other team, etc. Can't be measured. Not when any player on either team can suddenly channel the hockey gods and start putting their name in Conn Smythe discussion.

I can't make any official prediction (will make it tmrw morning), but I would have to give the offensive ability a slight advantage to the Pens -- but not as much as many believe. The Canes offense, through watching them so far on the playoffs, seems very similar to the Pens, though they dont have as many quality setup men. I think the Pens throw the 3rd forward down low a bit more than the canes do.

Both teams have D who have offensive minds (whether offensive guys like Joni or defensive guys like Hal Gill) -- meaning they are smart at pinching at getting the pucks back behind the nets for the forwards to do some work.

the Canes obvious big advantage is in net. Fleury always has the potential to steal a game (game 4 in philly), but Cam Ward can steal a series.

Its going to be a good series -- not the pizazz that the Pens had against the Caps, but certainly a Canes team who is more disciplined with a better defensive core.

good analysis, Pittsburgh is really good and something about Cam Ward. I dont mind you giving an opinion on the series but you either chose not to provide analysis on how Pitt will expose the Canes weaknesses or you have limited knowledge of the Canes team. If the latter is the case then your opinion doesnt mean much to me.

I actually just woke up and was too lazy to write much. I simply put what I think are the two deciding factors in this series. 1) The Pens had an easier road getting here and are still in very good shape thanks to a) The Flyers all paying too much physical attention to Crosby and B ) The Caps all paying too much physical attention to Crosby and no one else and 2) That Ward is what can turn the tide of this series distinctively in Carolinas favor.

Not enough? Your opinion of my opinion not mattering much to you, doesn't matter at all to me. I'm forced to watch more than enough 'Canes hockey as my dad is a Whalers-then Canes fan and whenever I go to his place for a beer, he's usually got a Canes game on.

For the best way to beat Cam Ward, see my above post.

I will tell you the Pens will try to throw out Gill and Scuderi against the Canes top line. Scuderi really limited Ovechkin's production (and he still had 14 pts) -- but Ovechkin seemed a bit more silent in Pittsburgh and scored several goals (game 7 -- that were more on fleury)

that pairing was also used to shut down Jeff Carter in Philly, and that worked very well. Scuderi is no Chara on D, but he certainly is an underrated guy who Dan Bylsma will try to match up against the oppositions top pairing.

I will tell you the Pens will try to throw out Gill and Scuderi against the Canes top line. Scuderi really limited Ovechkin's production (and he still had 14 pts) -- but Ovechkin seemed a bit more silent in Pittsburgh and scored several goals (game 7 -- that were more on fleury)

that pairing was also used to shut down Jeff Carter in Philly, and that worked very well. Scuderi is no Chara on D, but he certainly is an underrated guy who Dan Bylsma will try to match up against the oppositions top pairing.

Well, Ovechkin had 2 'lucky' goals and about 5 secondary assists. He still put the points up, and that's all that matters, but for 4 of the 7 games, they really shut down someone who is usually a far bigger offensive threat.

Gill is big and not afraid to plant in front of the net but he takes a ton of penalties. I remember him from his Bruins days.