The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

I don't think there's any question the Canes have played the superior opponents this post season. Although Boston kind of backed into the playoffs, the same could be said for Washington. We took different paths. We ended up dealing with more of a run and gun style first half, you folks had to deal with squads who tend to think defense first. Not that New Jersey and Boston don't have guys that will hurt you on the scoreboard, but I wouldn't say they have the offensive depth of Philly, or the front loaded talent of Washington.

One thing is for sure, you guys had to face 2 better goaltenders, I don't think that can even be argued.

Great post and thanks.........not many agreed with me, but I thought NJ was the tougher opponent only becasue it was a win one lose one series.....Boston woke up(?) finally mid way thru the series and strung it out to 7 games........we escaped them in 90 seconds due to some headyplay in the end........

pens displayed good tenacity in getting to that 7th game with the Caps even tho they dropped that heartbreaker on home ice in Game 6........fun series to watch...............I think the Caps, with the occasional show boat in Ovechkin seemed too dependant on him, you may recall the Caps survived the Rangers who had no business losing that series..........

Canes pens should be a clasic series.........one of those where it will be tough to have a losing team.

Its only fitting the two teams hitting their stride the last few months of the season meet for the right to play for the Stanley Cup. Cheers

Gill is big and not afraid to plant in front of the net but he takes a ton of penalties. I remember him from his Bruins days.

I think Gill's penalty taking days may be on the decline. This season he was our #9 penalty guy behind: Goddard, Cooke, Guerin, Malkin, Crosby, Orpik, Kunitz and Talbot.

In 13 games of the playoffs, he's only had 2 minors.

The book on him from my point of view is: Wing span of a boeing 747. Obviously not very fleet of foot. While he was primarily known for clutching and grabbing pre-CBA, he's altered his game where he uses his position, size and incredibly long stick to defend pretty well. He's got a nasty shot, but he rarely uses it.

Probably one of the least known aspects of the Penguins organization is our shot blocking. Seems like every player on the team is perfectly okay with sacrificing the body to block shots. For instance, we limited Washington to 20ish shots a game while we routinely posted 30-40 each session. The games were pretty wide open, but we did a better job of clogging the passing lanes and blocking shots than they did.

One fans point of view.

Gill is big and not afraid to plant in front of the net but he takes a ton of penalties. I remember him from his Bruins days.

Wait... what? Plant in front of the net?

I think Gill's penalty taking days may be on the decline. This season he was our #9 penalty guy behind: Goddard, Cooke, Guerin, Malkin, Crosby, Orpik, Kunitz and Talbot.

In 13 games of the playoffs, he's only had 2 minors.

The book on him from my point of view is: Wing span of a boeing 747. Obviously not very fleet of foot. While he was primarily known for clutching and grabbing pre-CBA, he's altered his game where he uses his position, size and incredibly long stick to defend pretty well. He's got a nasty shot, but he rarely uses it.

Probably one of the least known aspects of the Penguins organization is our shot blocking. Seems like every player on the team is perfectly okay with sacrificing the body to block shots. For instance, we limited Washington to 20ish shots a game while we routinely posted 30-40 each session. The games were pretty wide open, but we did a better job of clogging the passing lanes and blocking shots than they did.

One fans point of view.

Ask Ryan Malone about that one. :P

Wait... what? Plant in front of the net?

Let me rephrase that, "gets in the way"

I'm praying that the Orpik situation will motivate Cole this series. He has been no show so far in the playoffs and we need a big series from him to have a chance.

He hasn't scored any goals, true, but I'd hardly say he's been a no-show. He was very physical in the previous series and did a lot of the little things that go unnoticed because they don't show up the score sheet.

I think it breaks down into two simple factors:

1. Carolina's ability to limit Crosby - Crosby's been a big factor on both the Penguins series, especially the last one. He's playing like a man possessed right now, and as long as Carolina can limit the chances he's given (you're not keeping him completely contained), it's a big boost in their favor.

2. MAF's ability to match Ward - Pittsburgh's ability to win the series depends on which Fleury shows up. He's done enough for his team to win both series, but a lot can be attributed to the team in front of him. He's had an average showing at best. He's got to play above average if he wants to outduel Ward.

With both Staal and Malkin being inconsistent as can be in the postseason, neither one could be considered a legitimate factor, unless one shows up while the other doesn't. Whichever one does, that team has the edge. If they both do or don't, it evens out.

Depth, better "X" than the other team, etc. Can't be measured. Not when any player on either team can suddenly channel the hockey gods and start putting their name in Conn Smythe discussion.

I agree with you on most of your points. My only disagreement would be on Staal and Malkin. Staal has been the very consistent throughout the playoffs. I'm not sure what more you would want from someone who has faced two of the best goalies in the NHL and faced the best shutdown defensemen in Chara. Colin White is pretty underated himself. Staal has demanded attention from both teams and still manage to score 9 goals. Just imagine if Staal had a Crosby on his team where he was able to play against the second defensive pair now and then.

He hasn't scored any goals, true, but I'd hardly say he's been a no-show. He was very physical in the previous series and did a lot of the little things that go unnoticed because they don't show up the score sheet.

He's not paid just to be physical. He is one of our top 6 forwards and has the skill level to be dominant. Having no goals, 2 assist and -4 to me is a No Show. We are a different offensive team when Cole gets going. We need him to be a a equalizer in this series. Someone has to put up some points with Malkin and Crosby. We are at 18 playoff games and counting since Cole has scored a goal. If he wants to get paid top line money next year he must play like a top line forward when the team needs him most.

Eh, I say Staal's inconsistent because there have been games where he's taken over and played hard despite the pairing that was against him. And then there are other games (Game 5 against the Bruins, for example) where he seems to get more and more frustrated after every shift and ends up just making everything worse.

As for Cole, physical or not, no goals in the playoffs, just two goals since we acquired him at the trade deadline, that's not a 1st line forward, no matter what team it is. If it weren't for this notion that Cole makes Staal "go", he'd be nowhere near the top line.

Canadian Penguins fan here (Winnipeg). Just wanna add my two cents and say that I really respect the way the fan base has developed down there. The arena looks like it is rocking on TV, and gives a great atmosphere.

Props, and although I respect Canes fans, and the Canes as a team, I won't be happy unless you all are really un-happy in a few weeks. ;)

There is absolutely no way our fans will be unhappy in a few weeks, no matter what happens. Anything positive from here on out is gravy. We were supposed to be "first round fodder". I'm proud that we have made it to the ECFs. That still does not negate the fact that I still have faith that the Canes can play with the Penguins. Actually, it might just be the most exciting series yet. I'm guessing the play will be fast and furious, back and forth, and the games will be low scoring affairs.

Lets go CANES!!!!!

Hi another Pens newbie here(geez another one...LOL). First off just want to send a Congrats on beating Boston. I've been a rabid Pens fan since 1980. My pap was a season tic holder and he took me to my first Pens game as an 8th Bday present and I've been hooked ever since. Yes I'm a Pens fan BUT I'm a fan of the NHL first and foremost. I enjoy a wide open north/south 7-6 game as much as I enjoy a 1-0 defensive struggle. I'm basically here for some good Hockey talk and to get the POV of opposing teams fans(good natured ribbings are expected...LOL). I do have one question though and I'm hoping a long time Whalers/Canes fan can provide me with a definite answer. I admit, I was P'od when the Whalers first moved to Carolina(not exactly a hockey hotbed back then) BUT you guy's/girls have really impressed me over the years! Anyway, my question is this. If my 36 yr old memory serves me correctly(if I'm wrong please correct me) when the team first moved to Carolina, I remember hearing a Q&A session with long time Whaler Kevin Dineen. One of the questions was "Why does the puck glow on the TV but not when I attend a live game?" Is there any truth to that ??? or am I just getting old and senile....LOL! Here's to a hard fought series(with the Pens winning of course...LOL). Thanks Caniacs!

Wasnt that back when they tried the FoxTrax experiment for the 1996 All Star Game? Probably someone who never made the treck to Greensboro to see the team in person and their only exposure was that broadcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax

If my 36 yr old memory serves me correctly(if I'm wrong please correct me) when the team first moved to Carolina, I remember hearing a Q&A session with long time Whaler Kevin Dineen. One of the questions was "Why does the puck glow on the TV but not when I attend a live game?" Is there any truth to that ??? or am I just getting old and senile....LOL!
Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, but I've never heard that tied to here. Very related story, I was at at NFL game several years ago when the novice 'fans' behind me were commenting about the 'yellow line' for the first down not working (like you'd see on TV)! :blink::lol:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, but I've never heard that tied to here. Very related story, I was at at NFL game several years ago when the novice 'fans' behind me were commenting about the 'yellow line' for the first down not working (like you'd see on TV)! :blink::lol:

Hey now, no making fun of the yellow line for the NFL, best invention ever for sports broadcasting. The FoxTrax puck....not so much :lol:

Wasnt that back when they tried the FoxTrax experiment for the 1996 All Star Game? Probably someone who never made the treck to Greensboro to see the team in person and their only exposure was that broadcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax''>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax' target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax[/post]

Thanks! I know they were trying to make the game more TV friendly but geez...LOL! I like the Snoopy/woodstock pic!

cowher probably just sits up in his box and goes out to turn ur lil hurricane wheel lol

Looks like there may be a chance Bill Cowher may end up doing the honors again ..... from Chip's 'Canes Now' blog:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/cowher-to-sound-siren-again' target="_blank">Cowher to sound siren again?[/post]

While it's not official and there have been some last-second changes, word has it the siren sounder before Game 4 against the Penguins may be ... yes, Bill Cowher.

Since the Canes-Pens series was set, many have wondered how Cowher would handle it. He's a Pittsburgh guy and former Steelers coach who also played football at State, lives in Raleigh and is good friends with Canes associate head coach Ron Francis.

Cowher has sounded the siren for the Canes, giving it quite a go. Looks like he has agreed to do it again.

Word has it someone in the organization texted him after the Game 7 win over the Bruins and asked about his allegiances for the Eastern Conference finals. He is said to have texted back: "Go Canes."

:P

Hi another Pens newbie here(geez another one...LOL). First off just want to send a Congrats on beating Boston. I've been a rabid Pens fan since 1980. My pap was a season tic holder and he took me to my first Pens game as an 8th Bday present and I've been hooked ever since. Yes I'm a Pens fan BUT I'm a fan of the NHL first and foremost. I enjoy a wide open north/south 7-6 game as much as I enjoy a 1-0 defensive struggle. I'm basically here for some good Hockey talk and to get the POV of opposing teams fans(good natured ribbings are expected...LOL). I do have one question though and I'm hoping a long time Whalers/Canes fan can provide me with a definite answer. I admit, I was P'od when the Whalers first moved to Carolina(not exactly a hockey hotbed back then) BUT you guy's/girls have really impressed me over the years! Anyway, my question is this. If my 36 yr old memory serves me correctly(if I'm wrong please correct me) when the team first moved to Carolina, I remember hearing a Q&A session with long time Whaler Kevin Dineen. One of the questions was "Why does the puck glow on the TV but not when I attend a live game?" Is there any truth to that ??? or am I just getting old and senile....LOL! Here's to a hard fought series(with the Pens winning of course...LOL). Thanks Caniacs!

Interesting as I was reading the Pens board, this story was drawn out to demostrate the hockey ignorance of North Carolinians. There are lots of ignorant folks all over this country, and Canada. I'm sure if this was from North Carolina, it was publicized by those whom were angered with a NHL team moving to a 'non-traditional' market. Cute, but representative of our fanbase this story is not.

Interesting as I was reading the Pens board, this story was drawn out to demostrate the hockey ignorance of North Carolinians. There are lots of ignorant folks all over this country, and Canada. I'm sure if this was from North Carolina, it was publicized by those whom were angered with a NHL team moving to a 'non-traditional' market. Cute, but representative of our fanbase this story is not.

You know, there's no shame in saying hockey was a tough sell in this market in the early years. Not many knew what pro hockey was. It would be like if Major League Baseball put a team in Pittsburgh, fans there would be saying, "Hey, what's this???" B)

Bob Errey, just read some of your comments over on the Pens board and youre welcome over here anytime. Gotta respect someone who's willing to tell their own fanbase theyre acting like children, good for you.

You know, there's no shame in saying hockey was a tough sell in this market in the early years. Not many knew what pro hockey was. It would be like if Major League Baseball put a team in Pittsburgh, fans there would be saying, "Hey, what's this???" B)

Yeah the Pirates have been a long running joke. Most people I know around here refuse to acknowledge baseball as a proper sport until it gets a collective bargaining agreement where smaller market teams can remain competitive instead of being a farm system within the league itself. Why support a sport that discriminates against your team?

Good ole Bill Cowher. I didn't think he would ever leave the Steelers. Which pained me because his teams had lost 4 times in the AFC Championship game at their home stadium. They did win one at their own stadium too, but lost that Super Bowl to the Cowboys. Then of course in 2006 they won it all which was pretty good vindication for all the years of suffering. Until that point I was convinced his team would always choke in the big game. He seems pretty happy doing the pregame show so it turned out for the best.

I forgot to mention the most rock solid prediction for the ECF's. You guys will really have to be ready for it......... prepare to see at least one thousand cut away shots to Mario Lemieux standing in the owner's box staring down at the ice. For someone with a bad back, the man never sits down.

46 hours till the puck drops! It's going to be a long 46 hours.

I forgot to mention the most rock solid prediction for the ECF's. You guys will really have to be ready for it......... prepare to see at least one thousand cut away shots to Mario Lemieux standing in the owner's box staring down at the ice. For someone with a bad back, the man never sits down.

Yeah, it's funny you mention that Guinsnation, I've noticed that in broadcasts of Pens games. That would be a cool drinking game....drink a shot everytime they show Mario! :D

Similarly, for the Canes, Associate Head Coach Ronnie Francis seems to get more TV minutes on the screen then the Head Coach.

Yeah, it's funny you mention that Guinsnation, I've noticed that in broadcasts of Pens games. That would be a cool drinking game....drink a shot everytime they show Mario! :D

Similarly, for the Canes, Associate Head Coach Ronnie Francis seems to get more TV minutes on the screen then the Head Coach.

It would certainly be challenging. I think most folks would pass out before the third period started. :lol:

RE: The Lemieux showing. We laughed out loud at my house when one of the trivia questions was something like, "What Penguin holds the team record for most points scored in the playoffs?" or something along those lines, and as soon as the question was shown on screen, they cut to a picture of Mario. (hint: the answer wasn't Jagr)