The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Gonch55-ch1

I come in Peace!

Bob Errey, just read some of your comments over on the Pens board and youre welcome over here anytime. Gotta respect someone who's willing to tell their own fanbase theyre acting like children, good for you.

:blush:

Thanks.

You know, there's no shame in saying hockey was a tough sell in this market in the early years. Not many knew what pro hockey was. It would be like if Major League Baseball put a team in Pittsburgh, fans there would be saying, "Hey, what's this???" B)

I always regarded PKs move to the Raleigh area as a pure business decision and looking at the bigger picture. What I means is, should professional sports survive in our current economic dilemma.......10, 20 years from now the population shifts in this country will maintain their course that was charted back in the early 70s.......in other words people moving from the rust belt to the sun belt..........unless they discover oil in New hampshire or green technology moves its headquarters to Flint (would you?) I dont know if many of the NE and rust belt cities will be able to sustain their franchises at the current level..............

Who knows......in 20,30 years it may be OUR grandkids that are posting things like WE are entitled to be in the SCF because of the traditions this team and its fans maybe unwittingly unleashed upon the league in the late 90s and early 2000's. Wouldnt THAT be hilarious?

Hi another Pens newbie here(geez another one...LOL). First off just want to send a Congrats on beating Boston. I've been a rabid Pens fan since 1980. My pap was a season tic holder and he took me to my first Pens game as an 8th Bday present and I've been hooked ever since. Yes I'm a Pens fan BUT I'm a fan of the NHL first and foremost. I enjoy a wide open north/south 7-6 game as much as I enjoy a 1-0 defensive struggle. I'm basically here for some good Hockey talk and to get the POV of opposing teams fans(good natured ribbings are expected...LOL). I do have one question though and I'm hoping a long time Whalers/Canes fan can provide me with a definite answer. I admit, I was P'od when the Whalers first moved to Carolina(not exactly a hockey hotbed back then) BUT you guy's/girls have really impressed me over the years! Anyway, my question is this. If my 36 yr old memory serves me correctly(if I'm wrong please correct me) when the team first moved to Carolina, I remember hearing a Q&A session with long time Whaler Kevin Dineen. One of the questions was "Why does the puck glow on the TV but not when I attend a live game?" Is there any truth to that ??? or am I just getting old and senile....LOL! Here's to a hard fought series(with the Pens winning of course...LOL). Thanks Caniacs!

Try some "Carolina Stump Hole" and you would understand! :lol:

Penguins, Hurricanes lack hatred -- for now

Sunday, May 17, 2009

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

During the first round, all it took was a glance at the crest on opponents' sweaters.

Round 2 was pretty much the same. And, if the logo on the front of the jersey didn't do it, a few of the nameplates on the back surely did.

But that won't necessarily be the case when the Penguins and Carolina meet in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final at 7:38 p.m. tomorrow at Mellon Arena.

Not immediately, anyway, for this is not one of those rivalries in which participants' teeth begin grinding at the very thought of the other team.

That doesn't mean passions won't rise quickly -- with sticks and elbows to follow -- once the series begins. For now, though, emotions haven't been rubbed raw and the teams are lobbing nothing more nasty than compliments at one another.

The sneers and slurs will have to wait a while.

"We had a couple of good competitive games with them during the regular season," Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi said. "But certainly, it's not the natural hatred you have for some of the other teams."

Team like, oh, Philadelphia, which the Penguins dispatched in six games in the opening round. And Washington, which they eliminated in seven in the second.

There has been hostility between the Penguins and Flyers almost since the franchises entered the NHL in the 1967 expansion, although it has peaked in the past few years, and the competition between Sidney Crosby and Capitals left winger Alex Ovechkin has assured that the rivalry between the Penguins and Washington will remain at a rolling boil for years to come.

The closest thing to a ready-made villain on either team in the East final, though, is Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, whose hit from behind on Carolina winger Erik Cole three years ago broke two vertebrae in Cole's neck.

Orpik was suspended for three games and the two fought, at Cole's behest, Feb. 2, 2008. That scuffle might have closed out the incident for those involved -- "It's all behind me," Orpik said. "I don't know if it's all behind him" -- but not for the crowd at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., which boos Orpik vigorously every time he touches the puck.

(Which, given the nature of his game, is not all that often, or for all that long.) Penguins left winger Matt Cooke estimates that it should take about 20 minutes for the teams to begin developing a serious dislike for each other, and that seems like a reasonable prediction.

Sure, the Penguins and Hurricanes practically are leaking respect for one another today, but by mid-week, they likely will be willing to go at each other with switchblades and broken bottles.

"That feeling isn't there right off the bat," Penguins center Jordan Staal said. "But I guarantee you, once it gets to the first game, it always comes in. It's always part of every series, the hatred and the will to win."

The Penguins and Hurricanes never have met in the playoffs and a few months ago, there was no reason to think it would happen in 2009, either. Both teams saw fit to change coaches in the season, and neither was guaranteed a spot in the playoffs for much of the year.

"It's kind of funny how it's come down to the two of us," Orpik said.

"I don't think anyone would have predicted us [to meet] halfway through the year, or maybe even at the beginning of the playoffs."

The Penguins ended up with the No. 4 seed in the East, and the Hurricanes sixth.

At first blush, neither seemed like a serious candidate to advance this far, but the reality is that both played as well as anyone -- and a lot better than most -- down the stretch.

"From the All-Star break on, I think they had the best record in the league," Orpik said. "They were probably playing just as well as we were. Going into the playoffs, everyone was saying, 'Those are the two teams you don't want to play.' "

The Flyers, Capitals, Devils and Bruins had to, and their seasons ended. One of these clubs will be gone no later than June 2, as well, and long before that, the teams will be co-existing like a couple of furry little animals.

Something along the lines of, oh, a badger with a toothache and a wolverine nursing a serious hangover.

"It's the playoffs," Scuderi said. "After about one game, you start to get a feel for what the game's going to be like and who you're playing against, and, eventually, it's only a matter of time."

Linky

NHL Playoff: Game 7 a blur for Carolina's Walker

Player's wife battling cancer

Sunday, May 17, 2009

By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

He scored the overtime goal in Game 7 for Carolina to beat Boston and send the Carolina Hurricanes to the Eastern Conference final against the Penguins, but winger Scott Walker doesn't recall much about that game or Game 6.

During the series against the Bruins, Walker's wife, Julie, was diagnosed with cervical cancer, he and the team revealed yesterday. Julie Walker is undergoing treatments and faces surgery but is expected to recover.

"Being a tough player -- people talk about me like that -- this is something that it doesn't matter how tough you are, it's hard to handle," Walker said.

"The last couple games, I don't even really remember playing them. We'd be at the end of the game, and I would be like, 'Wow, we just played a game.' "

Walker is expected to travel with the Hurricanes and be in the lineup tomorrow night for Game 1 at Mellon Arena.

Walker's overtime goal wasn't the only thing he did in the Boston series to draw attention to himself. He was fined, but not suspended, for punching Bruins defenseman Aaron Ward in Game 5.

After his series-winning goal, Walker slipped away from his celebrating teams briefly to call his wife -- "She was ecstatic," he said. -- before doing postgame interviews.

"I got a little emotional after Game 7, and people were probably wondering what was going on," he said.

"She wants me and the team to focus on hockey. I've been with her since we were in high school, so it's one of those things where we know what each other feels, and she's behind us all the way."

Carolina coach Paul Maurice said the club has offered to help the Walkers in any way possible, and Walker said that has helped.

"The great thing about being a hockey player is the support you get from your teammates and the organization," he said. "If you had to deal with this, as a player there's no better sport to be in than hockey with such a tight-knit group. I'm just trying to support my wife.

"She's been strong. We're going to get this fixed, and she'll be fine."

Linky

love this post from their messageboard...

"carolina fans are nothing but drug addicted trash.

all game long they'll chant "co ciane, co caine" "

all in jest of course... :rolleyes:

Guys: (wanted to bump this)

I'm a Pens fan coming in peace.

We will be having a Conference Finals preview (both East and West, and we will be objective and not Pens homers) show Sunday morning, beginning at 10 am on 92.1 WPTS (Pittsburgh area). Best bet is to listen online:

http://audio.wpts.pitt.edu:8000/wpts_live_20m.mp3.m3u

Bryan and Ryan will host the show, and we will be taking calls from fans all over. Call in at (412) 383-9787. Unfortunately, we only have 1 phone line -- but we will be throwing callers directly on the air. The show will last for at least an hour, and we will continue as long as needed.

We will be looking for people to call in from all over to give us different perspectives. Join us tomorrow morning, call in - we will get you on the air and talk some hockey.

I'm a Pens/Canes fan and I 'm really looking forward to this series. Both teams are fairly evenly matched, although I'd say the Canes have the goaltending advantage and the Pens have an edge offensively. It blows my mind how both teams were pretty much written off back in February and weren't even expected to make the playoffs, let alone end up facing each other in the ECF. Just goes to show that with this game one can expect the unexpected.

Here's to a great series - and two great fanbases! At least we'll have one thing in common: we'll both be thoroughly sick and tired of the Staal v. Staal hype when it's all said and done.

To that end, here is a fun little gameday activity we can all enjoy - the Staal Brothers Drinking Game!

http://www.puckhuffers.com/2009/01/puck-hu...l-brothers.html

Glad to have ya mate......welcome to the new South and OUR hockey tradition......before we get started, congrats to your team for getting to the ECF........also after 10 years here, Id say 99% of the Huricane fans are pretty knowledgeable about the sport..........so before we hear any of that *edit* from pens fans please be advised......also, please refer to the latest census and you will see the relocation rate from Pittsburgh to Raleigh weighs havily in our favour.......however, Pittsburgh is a beautiful city................lest talk hockey and leave that other nonsense and baiting to cities like Buffalo, NY and Boston. Cheers

What does population relocation have to do with hockey? That's sounds very conceited of you to say something like that...

And you think fans of the Sabres and Bruins are the ones that bait? Go check out the Sabres NHL Talk site and you'll see one of your fans stirring the pot with a team's fans they aren't even playing against.

But wait a while for this year's ECF to unfold and your once possible neutral stance on Penguin fans will change. Trust me, Conference final games breeds loathe amongst fans much like it did with the Leafs in '02 and the Sabres in '06. And those fans are VERY passionate about their teams. You think there aren't going to be unruly fans at the RBC cheering for Pittsburgh?

I can't imagine tha Canes fans are going to blame the refs like the Caps/Flyers fans constantly did. Pretty incredible to think that the Caps can blame the refs when they were outplayed in the entire series. Some people just couldn't see the domination, espeically later in the series.

Let's Go Pens!

Yeah....right...

What does population relocation have to do with hockey? That's sounds very conceited of you to say something like that...

And you think fans of the Sabres and Bruins are the ones that bait? Go check out the Sabres NHL Talk site and you'll see one of your fans stirring the pot with a team's fans they aren't even playing against.

But wait a while for this year's ECF to unfold and your once possible neutral stance on Penguin fans will change. Trust me, Conference final games breeds loathe amongst fans much like it did with the Leafs in '02 and the Sabres in '06. And those fans are VERY passionate about their teams. You think there aren't going to be unruly fans at the RBC cheering for Pittsburgh?

To all our fans suggesting that the influx of northern transplants has somehow magically changed the South, and has transformmed Raleigh into this oasis of hockey, please be advised: There are many, many people who live in the South that are still here, and are as much or more responsible for it's success in North Carolina. What I think is the greatest thing about the Canes franchise success is how the transplants AND the locals have bonded together and have gotten over our preconceptions about one another. Ironically, the outside hockey world often still uses the old inuendos to refer to our fans when we, as the Caniac Nation, are over all that.

As far as Pittsburgh fans, my experience and opinion was formed a long time ago, and likely won't change no matter how they present themselves on our boards as we get into the series. So far, it's been tolerable. If it gets out of hand, I for one, won't be around. I have faith in our mods to keep things on the level and only hockey related.

love this post from their messageboard...

"carolina fans are nothing but drug addicted trash.

all game long they'll chant "co ciane, co caine" "

all in jest of course... :rolleyes:

ahaha not gonna lie thats funny....

To all our fans suggesting that the influx of northern transplants has somehow magically changed the South, and has transformmed Raleigh into this oasis of hockey, please be advised: There are many, many people who live in the South that are still here, and are as much or more responsible for it's success in North Carolina. What I think is the greatest thing about the Canes franchise success is how the transplants AND the locals have bonded together and have gotten over our preconceptions about one another. Ironically, the outside hockey world often still uses the old inuendos to refer to our fans when we, as the Caniac Nation, are over all that.

As far as Pittsburgh fans, my experience and opinion was formed a long time ago, and likely won't change no matter how they present themselves on our boards as we get into the series. So far, it's been tolerable. If it gets out of hand, I for one, won't be around. I have faith in our mods to keep things on the level and only hockey related.

What a great post and testament to the sport of ice hockey......its funny how regionalism comes into play alot. I recall many southern cities like Charlotte and Greensboro have minor league or in the 60s it was the EHL teams back then and they were pretty damn good too.............I admire how Hurricane fans unite as one to support their team.......a tribute to everyone in the area.........

I think 130's post wasn't designed to inform you how the influx of population makes our fans any better than yours. His post was designed as a preventative measure for the inevitable talk of our fans lacking knowlege of the sport. i.e. redneck trailer trash, marrying family members, watching nascar, blah..blah...blah Some of these other teams fans seem to think that North Carolina is akin to something they saw in Deliverance. Quite the contrary.

Additionally, being a former Pennsyvanian myself (went to college there). I know that Pennsylvanians like their car racing just as much as some here in the south. World of Outlaws Sprint tracks all over the state, Pocono International Raceway hosts the most highly attended sporting events in PA (june/july)..drawing fans from all over the state. I've seen it in person.

In summation: NC fans, not just the RTP folks, but our VA, SC, and all over NC fans understand hockey. I think that was the jest of what 130 was saying there.

Guys:

I'm a Pens fan coming in peace.

Peace?? You want us to lose. This is a war and you are the enemy. No need to discuss pros and cons. We wil see it played out on the ice. This thread is hypocritical by its title.

I won't stoop to childish insults. Neither will I engage in playful banter as if we have anything to discuss that has any effect on the outcome of the games. I don't wish good luck to any team other than my own. Only to injury free hockey and consistent officiating (Oxymoron Alert)

10 pages of "Peace Talks". And I have just wasted some of my valuable time responding. I hope you take the Canes lightly like all the media. See where that gets you. Jersey and Boston have. :blink:

Just my opinion.

Hi! (I know, I know, I'm sorry...another Pens fan :P ) Maybe the reason so many seem to be registering here is because you guys are actually civil and it seems like hockey is discussed here (GASP), unlike on the Pens' board...

Anyway, I can honestly say that even if the Pens lose I will be OK with it. Our teams are similar in that they were the two hottest leading up to the playoffs, so I think they are the two that deserve to be here. The series will be, if not decided, then at least heavily influenced by goaltending--which you guys should be happy about, haha, although I have hope that Fleury can play better than last series. You also likely have the better Staal (hey! We have one too--they're brothers! Did you know that?!? If not, you can look at my screenname, and the Versus announcers will remind us all every couple minutes so that we don't forget. ;) /sarcasm Seriously, I'm putting my over/under on any Staal mentions at 47, although that may be too low if the series goes for a while).

Speaking of Versus, I saw people wondering why no games are on NBC. It could have something to do with the whole "big screen outside the Igloo" issue, if you guys heard anything about that. Basically, lots of people watched the games last year on the lawn outside the arena, and the Pens even opened the arena for an away game for charity. Well, this year NBC said they weren't permitting the Pens to do that, and "weren't aware" that the Pens did it last year (even though they had cameras out there showing the crowd during games). Needless to say, Pens fans weren't happy and started an anti-NBC email campaign to them and their sponsors, and were discussing if it was a home game on NBC, whether the Pens could use a feed from the Jumbotron (inside the arena) instead of NBC...etc., etc. May or may not have had anything to do with it, but with that and their biased/grating coverage, it doesn't upset me one bit.

And about Cowher--it doesn't matter if he was lucky in the regular season; as I've seen other Pens fans say, Cowher is a pro at losing big Conference championship games at home. You guys can have him! :D

11is....

Your avatar makes my head hurt. As for Cowher, we didn't ask for him, he was forced upon us. :lol:

Mine too. Maybe get an avatar of the Semin/Staal 'fight' earlier in the season...that would be funny.

EDIT: Meant this in jest for Semin's slapping.

quote: I hope you take the Canes lightly like all the media. See where that gets you. Jersey and Boston have.

if the Pens take the Canes lightly then they dont deserve to win. however, i seriously doubt thats going to happen. maybe youre right, maybe Jersey and Boston did take you too lightly. but i give my team more credit for being smarter than that. if your opponents in rounds 1 and 2 did that then they are stupid. its no secret that the Canes are a good team. its also no secret that we havent have the best of luck against you guys in the regular season. and that the two wins we did have against you were both with your backup goalie in the net. so i think the last thing the Pens will be doing is taking this series lightly. at any rate, im looking forward to the series. its gonna be...fun! :lol:

a little under 24 hours left. im gettin excited just waiting around.

hows bout Detroit puttin the clamps on the hawks today? that series wont make it to 6 maybe not even 5 lol

a little under 24 hours left. im gettin excited just waiting around.

hows bout Detroit puttin the clamps on the hawks today? that series wont make it to 6 maybe not even 5 lol

Don't count on it. It was just game 1, and on the road for Chicago. Game 2 will give a better indication of how that series will play out than game 1 did.