The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
luvmycanes

Whose doing the Play-by-play on Versus tonight?

I could've sworn that was Eddie sitting next to Beninati tonight. Either way, I don't think I can stomach another second of either one. Gonna have to use 99.9 here on out. Bleuhck. :mellow:

Was there another team on the ice? Listening to the announcers it was just the Pens!

I didn't even bother listening to VS when I didn't here John. I was surprised and happy when I heard him doing color on the radio broadcast. If anyone caught the postgame John mentioned that there was a reason he didn't want to get in to about why he was not doing the call for VS. I hope everything is okay. But from what it sounded like I will be watching the VS feed with Chuck doing the call.

I have to say that the "Crosby had an off night" comment at the end of the game had us on the floor laughing.

Try and find the entertainment in it folks, it wont go away anytime soon.

I have to say that the "Crosby had an off night" comment at the end of the game had us on the floor laughing.

Try and find the entertainment in it folks, it wont go away anytime soon.

My favorite was when the one announcer said "he used his stick to lash out like a frog's tongue with that poke check!". I really hope they have Mike Emrick or someone other than the crew they had last night doing the game for the rest of the games.

I think both teams did an exceptional job shutting down the top centers of the opposing team. Staal had 3 shots, took one questionable penalty and was a -1 for the night. Crosby had only two shots, one assist and was even for the night. It's going to be a really weird series if those two guys keep having "off nights".

So how do we judge the Staal vs Staal battle? Eric doesn't score, is -1 and the Canes lose. Does round 1 go to Jordan even though he didn't have a shot or point in the game?

I had the game on mute I mean, I dont mind hearing about the other teams players. But when you go so far as to tell me Crosby is on the top 50 most beautiful list I mean seriously. You make Tripp Tracy look like a gem in the booth when you resort to that.

The Versus crew was terrible last night, they kept bringing up the "great Pittsburgh vs Washington series", I have a feeling they'd rather rebroadcast those games than show the game that was played live last night. :angry:

So how do we judge the Staal vs Staal battle? Eric doesn't score, is -1 and the Canes lose. Does round 1 go to Jordan even though he didn't have a shot or point in the game?

We don't judge it because that's just a storyline for the media to use. It's not a real story for actual analysis in terms of which team wins or loses, unless there are obvious plays one makes on the other that changes the direction of the game, and we didn't see any of that last night. Just like previous series weren't AO/Sid (although this may be the exception to the rule), weren't Ward/Brodeur, weren't Staal/Chara, this isn't Staal/Staal. It's Canes/Pens.

I would live a happy life if I never had to hear another talking head or media storyline harping on the same pointless dribble. Once a big play happens that involves Better Staal and Good Staal, the media will feel validated in hyping it up and they'll continue on with it. BORING. As a hockey fan it would be nice to have real analysts with heads on their shoulders instead of scripts in their hands who would focus on the actual storylines that are occurring in the game or did occur when postgame is done. You know, the kind of thing that you might not pick up on because somewhere out there is someone with a great hockey mind who can spot things the majority of fans wouldn't. VS generally does good postgame reporting and I'm not laying the blame on VS. It's the sports media as a whole. Storylines, storylines, storylines. Sell, sell, sell. Maybe the league would grow more interest if they had more to talk about, but oh wait, they do have more to talk about, they just don't. I guess the blame ultimately falls on the short attention spans of typical NFL obsessed Americans.

Alas, we're stuck with media hype and too many people who buy into it, only furthering it.

</rant>