The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wdk05

Intresting take on Game 1 controversies

I wouldn't put much faith in that bloggers "article". He is just a bitter Caps fan quoting a website for bitter Pens fans. Some people just don't know how to appreciate the game properly.

I think we know where to put our faith, and we don't need that blog to tell us those plays were questionable. Thanks for your help though... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put much faith in that bloggers "article". He is just a bitter Caps fan quoting a website for bitter Pens fans. Some people just don't know how to appreciate the game properly.

Agreed. places like yahoo and "bleacher report", that take everyday mesasge board posters( with no journalistic integrity or a job on the line for misrepresentation of facts, so like an anonymous poster can basically write whatever idiotic thing they want) and put it in " article form" to somehow lend some credence, where none should be is one of the most dangerous things going on the intenet right now in regards to sports journalism. Many seemed fooled or don't realize these "articles" are no different than most raving lunatic posters, they wouldn't give a 2nd thought to, but because its put in "article form", they think a real journalist, who has rules and hopefully a Paper( or team) behind him making sure its true and balanced for the most. Instead people who wouldn't ever give a fan's post a 2nd thought repost these "blogs" and "articles", like it's different than a meesage board, when its not.

I don't read the replies, but what I find interesting, is the fact that looking at the Video, it appears that it wasn't Coles fault that Fluery went flying. And looks like the hit was pretty dirty too. At least people are talking about it.

IMO the NHL is only hurting itself,, not helping!!Even the commentators aren't allowed to give their opinions! Everything is all about political correctness!

I still enjoy Forslunds call in one of the Bruins games after a over the top blatant penatly was let go.

"That's legal....I guess"

Yeah, I sure wish we had John and Tripp calling the series. At least FSN goes back and does a replay of the close/missed/bad calls.

1. "Either Cole clearly doesn't know his own strength or Gill is a remarkably delicate flower for a man who stands 6'7" and weighs almost as much as the legal briefs in the Phoenix Coyotes bankruptcy case."

Says it all... Cole bumps Gill with enough force to knock him through the air AND completely take out MAF? Wow, Erik! Obviously, should have been one or even two "diving" calls here. Personally, I'd give a diving penalty to Gill because he was the first "in the water." Goal should have counted.

2. The knee-to-knee hit was clearly intentional. Big surprise, Pittsburgh is trying to injure Canes players... like that is new. Oh, but it will happen again to yet another important forward-

3. The other injury... this time to Ruutu. Again, clearly intentional... why does a guy have to have his feet so far appart that close to the net, and just happens to take the legs out from underneath an unsuspecting player? Both of the dirty plays (this one and the one that injured Cole) should have been called for tripping. But, neither was. Starting to see that biased officiating everyone has been talking about.

Pittsburgh must be scared of the Canes speed and aggressivness, and figures the only way that they can win is the take players out of the equation... but all the cheating in the world can't stop heart.

About the "fan" flipping the bird... real classy... you know that puts you in the same catagory as New Jersey.

It doesn't apply here for what is being discussed, but I've seen MAF take a couple dives in this postseason, flopping around like he had a mini-stroke in his motor cortex. What goes around, comes around. See: Martin Brodeur.

Oye I just saw the replay finally of the Cooke thing and that was bad. He definitly charged at Cole out of nowhere, that looks...really bad. Really...bad.

The league does nothing when it's a dirty hit on Cole, but I'm sure if we hit one of their players like that we'd get a suspension easily. What bugs me most is that it was clearly a late hit and Cooke said he blatantly tried to do it.

Has anybody heard if the Canes' organization has filed any sort of official protest to the two hits on our players? If so what do they have to present to the NHL officials for them to review or will the NHL do the review without us having to do anything?

Has anybody heard if the Canes' organization has filed any sort of official protest to the two hits on our players? If so what do they have to present to the NHL officials for them to review or will the NHL do the review without us having to do anything?

The league's officiating office is located in Toronto. Stephen Walkom is the current director of officiating and is assisted by officiating managers Dave Baker, Randy Hall, and Terry Gregson among others. They typically monitor all games in progress. It is not uncommon for arena replay officials to be in contact with the office during games. For disciplinary actions, Walkom reports to Colin Campbell who is the one who issues the fines/suspensions.

So to answer your question, I don't believe the team has to file an official protest like in the NFL. I always wondered why the NFL couldn't be bothered to watch their own leagues games and had to rely on teams submitting film.

here is the reality... the knee on knee should have been a penalty. no question about it. But if you think that the waved off goal was not interference then you know nothing about hockey. do you think Gill would have taken a dive into his goalie??? The Canes did not even argue the call. This game was not decided by the refs.

The league's officiating office is located in Toronto. Stephen Walkom is the current director of officiating and is assisted by officiating managers Dave Baker, Randy Hall, and Terry Gregson among others. They typically monitor all games in progress. It is not uncommon for arena replay officials to be in contact with the office during games. For disciplinary actions, Walkom reports to Colin Campbell who is the one who issues the fines/suspensions.

So to answer your question, I don't believe the team has to file an official protest like in the NFL. I always wondered why the NFL couldn't be bothered to watch their own leagues games and had to rely on teams submitting film.

So I guess we just sit and wait........

here is the reality... the knee on knee should have been a penalty. no question about it. But if you think that the waved off goal was not interference then you know nothing about hockey. do you think Gill would have taken a dive into his goalie??? The Canes did not even argue the call. This game was not decided by the refs.

No, I am talking about the hits on Cole and Ruutu!!!!

So I guess we just sit and wait........

It would appear that way. My gut instinct tells me nothing comes of either incident and the knee on knee rules are addressed in the off-season since it appears to be a wide ranging issue. I am hopeful Cole and Ruutu are ready for Thursday. I know what it's like to lose a top player in the playoffs due to sketchy plays.

No, I am talking about the hits on Cole and Ruutu!!!!

nothing will happen. its the playoffs. the Canes will not argue and the league will not punish. Its showtime. The players will take care of it on the ice.

nothing will happen. its the playoffs. the Canes will not argue and the league will not punish. Its showtime. The players will take care of it on the ice.

Just what the NHL needs more controversy in the playoffs!!

The sad thing is that when the players start to play physical to take care of it on the ice the refs will probably break out their whistles given Game 1 gamesmanship on the calls.

It would appear that way. My gut instinct tells me nothing comes of either incident

Who needs gut instinct? Haha just listen to the folks on here. Canes fans know nothing will come of either incident. It never does. Even if it was Staal that was taken out, do you think the League would do anything? All that matters is what sweater you're wearing.

Just what the NHL needs more controversy in the playoffs!!

There's always controversy in the playoffs. Give me 1 playoff series this season in EC or WC that didn't feature a controversy due to a questionable hit, a goal being allowed or disallowed, etc...

There is always controversy in the playoffs, and I hope by the end of this series both the Canes and Pens fans can respect one another, and the teams.. of course. So far there has been controversy over two goals, one where MAF was knocked into the net, and another in which MAF's stick was knocked out of his hand and the goal remained. Then there was the hit on Cole by Cooke, which seemed accidental to me, but so did the Ovie hit on Gonchar the last series, neither play was suspended.

This is playoff hockey, it's going to get rough and tough. But I admire the fans of the Canes, and the Canes as a hockey team, and of course the same for my home team the PENS. At any rate, this series is still very early so cheers to a Eastern Conference battle of epic proportions. :)