The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hammer131

Tripp Tracey

After I got an non-stop overdose of homerism with ... Chico Resch, Steve Cangialosi and Ken Daneyko that would make a simultanious quatruple root canal seem like a walk in the park, I can't wait to ignore more of Tripp's man crushes and food references.

Just sayin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmMqotFGoI0' target="_blank">THIS.[/post]

Also, living just outside of Montgomery, Alabama and not getting the FS-Carolinas feed on Center Ice for every game, I love hearing Tripper's voice. I don't care how goofy he is, he can be my color man anytime.

I like Tripp, he is entertaining in his own way. Does he get on my nerves at times - yes. As far as Forslund goes I have heard him say on numerous occassions that one of his principles as it relates to calling a game is to be impartial as possible while giving it a home town feel. I also have had the chance to hear other teams broadcasts and I'll take our crew anyday. Might I suggest you write a letter to the front office expousing your displeasure. The 100 other threads on the same topic seem to have not changed anything. Just sayin.

Forslund is actually one of the regular anouncers for Versus so yes he does have a "part time" job outside of working for the Canes/FSN so auditioning isn't really what he's doing. Have you not heard the excitement in Chuck voice when the other team scores? some times you just have to listen for the goal horn and know which team is home/away to know which team scores with him.

I notice this with most hockey announcers, including John and Chuck, that what makes them good announcers... They get caught up in the excitement of a good play are half screaming when EITHER team scores.. Even Forslund will be like "Green to Ovechkin... passes it to Semin... he shoots HE SCORES!!!"..... Sometimes if the away team scores he will say "And they score"

I was talking to my wife the other night about how Tripp's job as a color analyst/commentator was to fill dead air during the stoppages of play. Notice Tripp doesnt say anything while the puck is in play and John is doing the play by play? When there is a whistle, then he will toss in one of the anecdotes about Brindamour's dad or Staal's parents or something like that.. for no other reason then to prevent silence on the air. It goes back, probably to baseball broadcasts on radio before there was even TV.

Other announcers lavish praise on Eric Staal and Cam Ward when we play on the road.. why would you expect Tripp not to do the same?

Tripp can be exasperating, for sure. However, he's a comic genius when you've been drinking for 2-3 hours!

THIS

Points all taken. I'm still picking Tim Thomas as his man of the next series. I realize I can turn the sound off. I can go to the Games which I do when they are home. I haven't heard alot of other announcers so maybe I don't realize how good we have it and I still can *edit* that Tripp drives me crazy. I don't mind the food conversations and he actually is funny at times but when we have just blown a three Goal lead or I'm frustrated because we are fighting for our Playoff life and can't seem to get one by Marty Brodeur. I don't want to hear about the Molson Miracle, or how great Marty Brodeur is. That's just me. Just voicing MY opinion. You all can love Tripp. I'm not asking you not to. I just think he could be a little more pro Canes and a little less PRO every other Superstar in the League. Kaiton does get excited when the other Team scores I can't imagine calling a Game and not. Just would like a little more energy on our side of things when Forslund and Tripp call our Games. Is that really too much to ask? And yes I know Forslund announces for VS from time to time and does a great job. He knows Hockey. Whew. You would have thought I started a post to fire Paul Maurice. Whoa. Just Joking. Let's not go there. I remember all you Canes fans never going to another Game if we hired back Maurice. Probably the same ones giving me hell because I posted that Tripp must go. Anyway back to Hockey. I don't think I've ever seen a better series of Hockey even if I had to listen to the Tripster.. And no you can't turn down the sound and put on Kaiton because the Radio is on delay and it messes with your head. Tim and Jackie Gleason. Tripp and *edit* Tracey now that guy or girl was funny.

As long as Peter Karmanos owns this team, Tripp is our color guy, like it or not. He was Jason's roommate at Harvard. No sense complaining when it's not gonna do you any good.

Anyway, I've kind of gotten used to him now. The times where I say out loud "this guy is terrible!!!" have been fewer and farther between lately.

Forslund is one of the best in the business. I wouldn't trade him for any announcer out there. Having Tripp evens it out. We can't get too greedy :lol:

I started this thread last year so I know what you mean. I Do like Forslund but not a Tracey fan at all but I have learned to live with him. As for Forslund needing to be more of a homer I disagree. Thats why I also like Mike Emerick also because he's not so bias. Try Listening to the Bruins feed...Jack Edwards...WHAT A HOMER! ITS SICK!

John and Tripp are the Hurricanes own version of the Odd Couple. John is straight-laced and professional, and Tripp is a complete goofball. While Tripp can get on my nerves at times for his man crushes (anyone who has watched the Boston games past couple of years know he'll be going on this whole next series about the "biggest in captivity", but the worst by far are Brodeur and Lacavalier), it's usually made up for with the comebacks that John makes or watching John doing everything he can not to plant his palm to his forehead.

In fact, Tripp would be perfect for one of those drinking games. Whenever he mentions food, take a drink. Or when he talks about receiving a text. Or makes one of his man crush references. There's plenty of things you could use for it. :lol:

Thing is, and I'll only say it once. Analysts usually come from former teams, so its hard for them not to be biased. Especially with a lot of Devils analysts, i noticed it, and they don't really care to tone it down. I am used to Resch after like 8 years now, he loves the devils like a hardcore fan, I don't think he'll change.

However you also got Micky Redmond in Detroit, loves his former Wings. I can go on with Bob Errey and a few others.

Tripp is pretty good at being not much of a homer, but he still lvoes cam ward more than anyone despite what people on here say. I still get a touch of his fanboy-ism at teams, I wouldn't say he's completely unbiased like Forslund.

However one thing doesn't make sense to me, the Florida Panthers didn't exist when Denis Potvin played, and he was never part of their organization, why is he such a homer? He's got no excuse.

John and Tripp are the Hurricanes own version of the Odd Couple. John is straight-laced and professional, and Tripp is a complete goofball. While Tripp can get on my nerves at times for his man crushes (anyone who has watched the Boston games past couple of years know he'll be going on this whole next series about the "biggest in captivity", but the worst by far are Brodeur and Lacavalier), it's usually made up for with the comebacks that John makes or watching John doing everything he can not to plant his palm to his forehead.

In fact, Tripp would be perfect for one of those drinking games. Whenever he mentions food, take a drink. Or when he talks about receiving a text. Or makes one of his man crush references. There's plenty of things you could use for it. :lol:

They actually abused him in the arena with one of those Ask the Canes on the jumbo tron. I think the question was What was your last text message from Tripp Tracy?

Thats the thing I like about Tripp and John, Tripp knows he's goofy and plays the role perfectly. John Forslund makes sure the hockey is covered professionally and unbiased, and Tripp is there for entertainment and to keep things light. Take it at face value.

I'd like to hear what people think about John and Tripp after watching a NESN broadcast. ;) Thanks goodness for Andy Brickly.

As for Potvin...no excuse, period. Makes me wonder if he's a silent investor in the Panthers or something.

when he mentions that he played goalie

talking to player parents (the staals is a double)

i think tripp is goofy but i have gotten used to him....and after listening to those Florida announcers for that game that wasnt televised, we have NOTHING to complain about....

although we did get some good quotes from that guy....do you know the muffin man???

After I got an non-stop overdose of homerism with Doc Emrick, Chico Resch, Steve Cangialosi and Ken Daneyko that would make a simultanious quatruple root canal seem like a walk in the park, I can't wait to ignore more of Tripp's man crushes and food references.

Just sayin'

no kidding! that and all the times doc and chico told us that every single staal played for the canes, at some point. i swore i heard jordan and jared during game 7. and that jarkko ruutu scored the first goal. i was spending every moment waiting for the center ice feed to switch on, repeating, "please...john and tripp" over and over, before getting msg almost every time they chose to show only one of the two feeds. i know emrick is an institution, and i don't mind him on vs. but listening to him call the local broadcast of a devils game drives me bonkers.

then again, being so far from carolina, at least with center ice, i get to see the games.

and i think tripp is just fine.

yea this topic usually comes up when thiers nothing else to complain about...

I can think of at least 10 canes related things I'm worrying about other then tripp..

yea this topic usually comes up when thiers nothing else to complain about...

I can think of at least 10 canes related things I'm worrying about other then tripp..

Agreed, Im way more concerned about the PP. :unsure:

I'll go out on a limb here. Tripp knows his hockey and his insights are actually good more often than not. Yes, he is goofy without being actually funny, with most attempts at humor actually funny mainly because he tried and so blatantly missed the mark, and yes, the food references are odd, but if you listen, he is usually on with his analysis, and he actually works hard at getting it right (a couple of infamous exceptions excluded). Tripp suffers some by comparison, since we have two absolute studs in Forslund and Kaiton.

The one thing I find interesting is how many close and dear friends Tripp apparently has. He likes to drop names. He is always talking about his "dear friend" so and so.

But there are times when I am driving home from the game, listening on the radio and Forslund comes on and makes a great point. Then I listen to the after game commentary on my taped TV coverage and danged if Tripp didn't make that point first.

Tripp may not be the best, but he is good. And teamed with Forslund it's pretty good coverage.