The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Airport Ritual - Playoffs Canes Style

We came thisclose to it all being over vs Bruins. If you could see the faces of the players at RDU upon their return you'll realize we fans make a difference.

Several times last night on VS it was said "It is not the skill, but the will" in game 7. Canes fans, no matter how small the fraction is, it shows up in the will to win. It's great to be a Caniac!

No reason to feel awkward - just show up!!

I didn't end up going, but there is always next time!

Also, to anyone that can help, I've never been to Raleigh airport before so I don't really know how it's designed. Where do the 'Canes normally come in and where does one park for this kind of thing?

Also, to anyone that can help, I've never been to Raleigh airport before so I don't really know how it's designed. Where do the 'Canes normally come in and where does one park for this kind of thing?

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=19246&view=findpost&p=263897' target="_blank">Post #80 on page 4 of this thread has all the details[/post].

I've been thinking of going over for this, but same problem. Nobody else in my crew is interested in such a late (or is that early :blink: ) adventure. 1 1/2+ hrs over and the same back alone so late just is pretty tough, especially after an OT game like last night.

Maybe we'd be able to get a little caravan of Greenville Caniacs set up at some point for this next round? Maybe set up a Caniac party at one of the local sportsbars, followed by anyone who is interested joining the caravan to RDU. :)

Hey a quick note on the airport runs...if you don't want RDU Security to ban us in the future, please make sure you follow the rules. You need to pick up your trash when you leave. Also, alcohol is strictly forbidden so if you leave evidence of it on the ground, we are going to get banned pretty quick. Not trying to sound like your mom, but after talking to the security folks while a few folks picked up everyone else's trash, I figured I would let everyone know. Outside of the drinking bit, the security guys say the crowd was very well behaved and they enjoy us coming out.

See ya next time at the airport!

Let me echo this comment to all of you who post or lurk here to get information about the airport events. RDU Security has done a fantastic job allowing us this PRIVILEGE. It is extra work on their part to open the lot, put up the signage, and staff the area, and they do it gladly because they know this is important to the community. But if we don't want the privilege to be taken away, we need to respect the folks who work out there and follow the rules and pick up after ourselves.

how many of you guys will be at the airport Friday night to welcome the guys back?

How or where can I find out the flight times / details etc... if we want to greet the guys when they fly back in. I searched all over last night and found nothing

pictures?

I wasn't at the best angle to take pictures from where I was standing. The players were sort of by me before I could get a shot off (my camera lags a bit with a flash shot -- and it was about 3 o'clock in the morning after all!). I did get a few decent pictures but the one below was pretty bad. In fact, it was almost completely dark, a worthless shot -- but I was able to heavily enhance it using photo editing software to bring up the image since I knew it was of Scott Walker, the hero returning to Raleigh from his series winning shot!

P10204412.jpg

great job red storm!! he said on an interview today that he and his wife had decided that she would go to the airport with the kids so they could experience it....then he felt bad cause it was the latest night so far....

great job red storm!! he said on an interview today that he and his wife had decided that she would go to the airport with the kids so they could experience it....then he felt bad cause it was the latest night so far....

As a former kid, I would have thought going somewhere in the middle of the night would have been the coolest thing evar!

Fans greet, snap up tickets for 'Cardiac Canes'

Raleigh, N.C. — Hours after the biggest welcoming crowd Coach Paul Maurice said he's ever seen greeted the Carolina Hurricanes early Friday, hundreds more fans lined up to buy tickets for the Eastern Conference finals.

Maurice said he was astonished by the size of the crowd that greeted the exhausted Canes after their 3-2 overtime win over the Boston Bruins. WRAL meteorologist Greg Fishel was among the hundreds of Caniacs who stormed Raleigh-Durham International Airport for the team's arrival.

"If you were sitting on that bus, you would have thought we lost the game, and then there was an unbelievable reception at the airport," Maurice said. "We thought there was no chance, it's 3 a.m. But we had a whole crew of people cheering for the guys."

Fans expressed no surprise at the cliff-hanger ending to the series the Canes once lead 3-1.

"You kidding me? This is normal. This is Canes country. This is who we are," Joe Greiner said.

Bonnie Good brought a sign saying "Cardiac Canes," because, she said, the team "always makes you wait till the last minute before they bring it home."

Canes forward Scott Walker, who scored the game winning goal in overtime Thursday, said he loves coming home to excited fans and his family.

"That's what makes it easy to play, you know, when you come home and the crowd's so good and it's just amazing," Walker said. "Winning a game with all the great guys on the team is fun, but getting home and seeing your kids is a thrill."

Later Friday, hundreds of fans stormed the RBC Center to pick up tickets for Games 3 and 4 of the East Conference finals. By noon, tickets to Game 3 were almost sold out.

If the series, which opens Monday in Pittsburgh, lasts long enough, the Canes will play again in Raleigh in Game 6.

"This is what the dividends are. This is what you want. This is where you want the organization to get to," said Dave Olsen, general manager of the RBC Center.

Olsen said he hopes Hurricanes keep going farther in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The facility depends on the Canes making the playoffs to turn a profit, and the team hasn't been there for the past two years, he said.

The RBC has only booked six of the 10 slots it has for touring acts, so the longer the Canes keep playing, the better it is for the RBC Center and the people who work there, Olsen said.

"This helps. It's great for everybody. It's great for the community," he said. "Our employees get to work another five, six events that we wouldn't had had this time of year."

However long it takes, fans predicted victory for the Canes.

"They're overachievers. They don't have a big payroll, but they know how to beat the big boys," Charlie Bruce said.

Fans Wait Up For Canes

Hundreds gather to welcome home the team at RDU

MORRISVILLE -- It didn't matter if you were star center Eric Staal, equipment manager Skip Cunningham, or a random motorist driving by.

Any vehicle that drove past the line of more than 1,000 Carolina Hurricanes fans at RDU in the early hours of Friday morning were greeted loudly by those basking in Thursday's 3-2 overtime win over the Boston Bruins.

Canes fans starting gathering at the airport not long after the Hurricanes wrapped up their win. By the time the team plane landed, sometime after 2 a.m., there was a boisterous crowd there to greet the Canes, chanting, screaming and beating on hand-held percussion instruments.

"I'm a home-schooler," said Dallas Hall, a high school senior, when asked if she was worried about getting up in the morning.

The fans roared as each member of the team filed out of a parking lot across the street. Some players looked straight ahead as they passed. Others waved politely.

Jussi Jokinen and Chad LaRose contorted their upper bodies out of the windows, gestured and riled up the crowd as they drove by. The crowd dispersed only when the last Hurricanes player had left.

Many vehicles were decorated in Canes colors and more. In the back of one pickup was a four-foot tall Hurricanes sign in the shape of a hockey player decorated with Christmas lights.

"He goes with us wherever we go," said Durham's Sherry Hollcraft, who has hardly missed a Hurricanes home game since the franchise moved to North Carolina in 1997.

In the back of another pickup was an oversized Stanley Cup, fashioned out of a 55-gallon drum, buckets, and an assortment of other containers spray-painted silver. It even had a working water fountain flowing in the top cup.

"This is actually version 3.1," said Doug Stager of North Raleigh, whose first iteration of the Cup was in 2002. His latest edition even includes a red flashing light similar to those that light up after a goal is scored.

There were hockey sticks, flagpoles and hand-made signs. One fan, Bob Daughtrey, carried around another homemade Stanley Cup. And another, Aziz Kenouni, wore a red suit that would make N.C. State basketball coach Sidney Lowe proud.

A crew from the Backyard Bistro, a recently opened sports bar next to the RBC Center, wheeled in a smoker and handed out 550 barbecue sandwiches to the well-wishers.

"We thought about it earlier today and then made a decision about midnight," co-owner Joe Lumbrazo said.

The tradition of greeting the team at the airport dates to the Hurricanes' 2002 run. The Hurricanes fell in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Detroit Red Wings back then, and fans showed up even after the team returned in defeat.

"It didn't matter to us," Hollcraft said. "We were so proud of them."

Hey a quick note on the airport runs...if you don't want RDU Security to ban us in the future, please make sure you follow the rules. You need to pick up your trash when you leave. Also, alcohol is strictly forbidden so if you leave evidence of it on the ground, we are going to get banned pretty quick. Not trying to sound like your mom, but after talking to the security folks while a few folks picked up everyone else's trash, I figured I would let everyone know. Outside of the drinking bit, the security guys say the crowd was very well behaved and they enjoy us coming out.

See ya next time at the airport!

As many of you know I've spoken to a number of folks over at RDU before the previous airport arrivals, mainly to confirm the logistics. I spoke to RDU Security again today, because there have been some concerns coming out from last Thursday night's event.

I agreed to pass their concerns along using this board and other available means to get the word out to folks who might be coming out tomorrow night, whether you post here, lurk, or perhaps talk to someone who's planning to go out to meet the team plane.

In a nutshell, their concerns were....lots of trash, lots of drinking, lots of folks out on the airport access road.

Trash is an issue, but made moreso because of what was in the trash which was evidence of a lot of alcohol consumption. Because of that, RDU Security will now be required to patrol the parking lot. Previously they were just present, now they will actively patrol. So my message is this. I'm not going to tell you that you should or should not be drinking on airport property. What I will pass along is the recommendation that you not leave behind evidence of drinking. It is not likely to be tolerated to the extent it was in the past.

In fact, the less you leave behind, the better. In other words, please remember to pick up your trash.

The other message is to stay off the roadway. We stand beside an access road for passenger cars, work vehicles, busses, etc. Vehicles approach the area with limited visibility due to the hill, curve, and night lighting. Our being there in the first place compromises traffic safety, we need to do our part by staying off the road and leaving it clear for vehicles, and that includes both the time before the players arrive as well as while they are departing.

Keep in mind that RDU is granting us a privilege by providing a place to congregate, and that privilege could be taken away if it's abused.

Everything is still a go for tomorrow night, and Park and Ride Lot #2 will be open per usual. Logistics have been posted multiple times in this thread so take a look if you're unfamiliar. Hope to see a lot of folks there and in a celebratory mood.

Thanks for listening!

As many of you know I've spoken to a number of folks over at RDU before the previous airport arrivals, mainly to confirm the logistics. I spoke to RDU Security again today, because there have been some concerns coming out from last Thursday night's event.

I agreed to pass their concerns along using this board and other available means to get the word out to folks who might be coming out tomorrow night, whether you post here, lurk, or perhaps talk to someone who's planning to go out to meet the team plane.

In a nutshell, their concerns were....lots of trash, lots of drinking, lots of folks out on the airport access road.

Trash is an issue, but made moreso because of what was in the trash which was evidence of a lot of alcohol consumption. Because of that, RDU Security will now be required to patrol the parking lot. Previously they were just present, now they will actively patrol. So my message is this. I'm not going to tell you that you should or should not be drinking on airport property. What I will pass along is the recommendation that you not leave behind evidence of drinking. It is not likely to be tolerated to the extent it was in the past.

In fact, the less you leave behind, the better. In other words, please remember to pick up your trash.

The other message is to stay off the roadway. We stand beside an access road for passenger cars, work vehicles, busses, etc. Vehicles approach the area with limited visibility due to the hill, curve, and night lighting. Our being there in the first place compromises traffic safety, we need to do our part by staying off the road and leaving it clear for vehicles, and that includes both the time before the players arrive as well as while they are departing.

Keep in mind that RDU is granting us a privilege by providing a place to congregate, and that privilege could be taken away if it's abused.

Everything is still a go for tomorrow night, and Park and Ride Lot #2 will be open per usual. Logistics have been posted multiple times in this thread so take a look if you're unfamiliar. Hope to see a lot of folks there and in a celebratory mood.

Thanks for listening!

I'll be there, and I'll bring a trash bag to clean up after the slackers.

Thank you Dreamie.

I'll be there, and I'll bring a trash bag to clean up after the slackers.

Same. I also make it a point to thank the officers when I get a chance - I always thank the guy at the lot exit on my way out. I think we should all go out of our way to thank the officers and show our appreciation for their hospitality. We do not want this PRIVILEGE to be revoked because of a few slackers, so do your part to make sure we keep it!

were the boys upbeat? cuz it aint over..

No, I wouldn't say they were upbeat, although in my opinion they seemed appreciative that we were there. Most either honked or rolled down their windows to wave and acknowledge the crowd. I wouldn't say there were many smiles though.