The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Airport Ritual - Playoffs Canes Style

Does anyone know if you have to pay to park at general av? I dont mind, I'd just like to know in advance.

Does anyone know if you have to pay to park at general av? I dont mind, I'd just like to know in advance.

No fee as far as I've seen

No fee as far as I've seen

Awesome.. TSA answered me in the GDT.. I'll be headed out there in a little bit.. i live right around the corner.

I'm going to want pictures from those going. Need them to get down here and feel immediately welcomed.

Hopefully I can get some good ones.. I'm taking my wife's camera. She met them there after the playoff run in 02 and got a good pic of Ronny with the ECC trophy... dont know how close they will get to the fence since the still have business to take care of (not the end of the series) but we can yell real loud.

Just confirmed this is the correct flight number for the return...currently scheduled to arrive at 12:30am...here's hoping it's after a win!

Mike M., on the Post Game show, just said that due to the game going into overtime, they probably wouldn't even be leaving NJ until sometime around 12:00 - 12:30 AM, arriving home sometime around 2:00 - 2:30 AM.

Have a GREAT time, and thank them for the rest of us who can't make it!! thumbsup.gif

The cops showed up and threatened to arrest us all if we didnt leave. Actually walked up, grabbed a guy who had set a can on the ground, pushed him up against a car, cuffed him and threw him in the back of the cruiser to arrest him for LITTERING... freakin airport rent-a-cops..... Of course as soon as I get home and check the flight page it's due to land in like 8 minutes....

Big props to the guy with the huge stanley cup in the back of his truck... nice :)

The cops showed up and threatened to arrest us all if we didnt leave. Actually walked up, grabbed a guy who had set a can on the ground, pushed him up against a car, cuffed him and threw him in the back of the cruiser to arrest him for LITTERING... freakin airport rent-a-cops..... Of course as soon as I get home and check the flight page it's due to land in like 8 minutes....

Big props to the guy with the huge stanley cup in the back of his truck... nice :)

Wait...really? That's absolutely ridiculous. No reason for that to happen.

Please tell me this is a joke. I hope those clowns are fired and never work in this town again.

This was the first time I've ever done this - I've heard so many things about this and I finally told myself after 06 that I would do it next playoff run - and here we are - and I was highly disappointed.

An amazing tradition was ruined tonight - not only could we not get anywhere near the fence where the plane landed, we were forced to stand in a grassy area and basically watch a parade of players staff and media go home. Most of the players or honked (Chad even stuck his tongue out and make a rocker like symbol with this hands) but all in all, pathetic.

I really feel I wasted my time going out there.

This amazing and unique tradition to our franchise will soon die.

This was the first time I've ever done this - I've heard so many things about this and I finally told myself after 06 that I would do it next playoff run - and here we are - and I was highly disappointed.

An amazing tradition was ruined tonight - not only could we not get anywhere near the fence where the plane landed, we were forced to stand in a grassy area and basically watch a parade of players staff and media go home. Most of the players or honked (Chad even stuck his tongue out and make a rocker like symbol with this hands) but all in all, pathetic.

I really feel I wasted my time going out there.

This amazing and unique tradition to our franchise will soon die.

Those of you who were at the airport need to write a letter to the management at RDU about this...if things were as bad as you guys say, then yes, they're killing a tradition. Wonder what their problem is. I've been there in the past and have never had any problems.

Honestly, I'm not surprised...those in power target the wrong people too often. Forget about securing the airport against potential threats, we have a group of 'Canes fans on our hands! Ooo.

Wow, thats bull...

My friends and I decided to go and greet the Canes and had to fly down to RDU to make it on time. When we got there we saw the cops blocking the entrance and the line of canes fans there. We got to sit and chill, watching the players leave, and then to drive by the crowd and get cheered for wearing our canes jerseys.

The cops showed up and threatened to arrest us all if we didnt leave. Actually walked up, grabbed a guy who had set a can on the ground, pushed him up against a car, cuffed him and threw him in the back of the cruiser to arrest him for LITTERING... freakin airport rent-a-cops.....

Wonder if cheering for team at airport is now part of the "terrorism extremist" law. Silly cops.

My 2 cents...to heck with the letter writing to RDU...email the media...Chip, Luke, et al. Might not do any good but worth a shot. Flippin' security BS nowadays makes anyone in authority self-righteous beyond all reason.

Glad you all made the attempt.

We were told by the "security" that the Canes organization had not informed the airport that there would be anyone there to welcome them, so it was a security issue. It was actually the FAA in the tower who complained about us. After we moved our vehicles to an acceptable location, we all walked over as close as we could. At least they drove right past us - but it was a road used by airport shuttles so the guys couldn't stop, even if they wanted to. Ray actually did slow down and high-fived a guy out his window. Besides Chad, the funniest thing was Tripp with his cheesy grin - he just shook his head at us all.

Anyway, they knew we were there! And you guys have GOT to see one guy's giant Stanley Cup fountain. Yes, I said fountain. He had it in the back of his truck and had it working until we were booted out. I'm sure it'll be on display tomorrow in the parking lot!!

We got there a little late and the observation lot was overflowing and had to park over where the team used to fly into in '06. It was quite a hike to get to where all the Caniacs were. About halfway there walking, we hear the police car sirens. It's like, "Oh nice, a reception of some sort!" We had no idea about the handcuffing and stuff until reading the posts this morning! How awful! :blink:

The area, if that's where we will have to always assemble for future flights, is awful compared to where the team flew into in '06. The assembly area in '06 was nice as it was sort of between the plane and the players cars where you could get some reaction from them while they were on foot. Here, they were in their car and still 100+ feet away from you. We did get there in time to see Chad and Tripp salute the fans, good for them. Others did to, but not to the extent of those guys.

I'd say there were about 80 to 100 Caniacs there in all. Pretty good showing considering the very late hour and being the first round.

It was too dark for me to tell if there was a better assembly area had the team notified RDU. The '06 area was nice from a security standpoint for the team and airport officials in that there was a chain link fence for most of the area between where the players were walking and the fans. I couldn't tell if there was a similar spot for this new location. Too bad the team charter doesn't land where it used too. :(

It was actually my buddy that got cuffed. Detained him for trespassing on Landmark Aviation property, not littering. Although throwing the beer can to the ground did not help his cause. I talked to the cop. He was actually was quite cool after he figured out what was happening. He told me to have the Canes organization let the airport know in the future and there wouldn't be an issue the next time. Still a good time. Lets not let a couple of RDU security issues stop a great Caniac tradition.

P.S. I was me that Whitney tried to high 5, but he missed me

A lot of people are saying they are glad they didn't come or won't be coming again because of this. I think things will be organized better for game 5 and it will be ok, and if not, don't let that stop you! It would be terrible to see this die just because of what happened last night. We need to have more people out there next time!