The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Airport Ritual - Playoffs Canes Style

I guess I should have stayed.. but I wasnt taking any chances with the cops. Hopefully next time if we are coming home from the road after winning the series, the ECC, or god forbid the Cup, then someone will be informed, because you KNOW we will be there.

Glad no one got harrassed and no one got hurt. The players constantly say how much they love us fans and this is one reason why. We come to the airport to welcome them home from a random road playoff game. They havent won anything yet (except the one game) but we still appreciate them for it.

I didn't go simply because I needed some sleep last night, but I hope that all who did go write emails/letters to the media and the RDU security to let them know about this. I don't really see why the Canes should have to alert them of the fans, it isn't like it was the first time we've done this. I hope RDU realizes this and lets this awesome tradition continue on!!

I wasn't there, but I am not surprised that the RDU cops reacted like that. I guess no one told them about the fans coming to the airport, and it's been so long since the last time. Anyhow, this was never a huge issue in 2002 or 2006, so once the word gets around and they're prepared for it, it should be pretty smooth.

I think the 2 security guys they had there were just shocked. It seemed they had no idea what to do with all of us. But after some negotiating and explaining its a tradition, they compromised and allowed us to stand on that grassy area. They didn't have to let us do that and they very easily could have sent us all home, but they didn't. I think next time they will be expecting us and it will be better.

I too liked the area in 06 better, but seeing the smiles on all the guys faces, made it well worth it. Even if we couldn't watch the plane land or see their reactions when they stepped off the plane. Just being there and allowing the guys to see approx. 200 some caniacs there cheering them on is worth keeping the tradition alive.

Besides we are the ONLY fans that do this. No need to let one mishap stop a tradition that everyone looks forwards to whether you're a fan, player or staffer. Even JR looked happy to see us all out there chanting 'Let's go Canes'

Perhaps the Department of Homeland Security confused the Caniacs with the right-wing exremists that were at the TEA party on Wednesday night. :rolleyes:

Mall%20Cop%20pic.jpg

Hey, didn't he dress up as Brodeur in the movie? Maybe the security guards are Devils fans??

This is just screaming for a caption :lol:

Perhaps the Department of Homeland Security confused the Caniacs with the right-wing exremists that were at the TEA party on Wednesday night. :rolleyes:
They could've thought we were veterans, as many were wearing a uniform.... :unsure:

according to Paul' ;) s blog, they thought there might be some fans waiting for them....thank god you all showed up, as the players would have been devastated and lost some confidence ;)

according to Paul' ;) s blog, they thought there might be some fans waiting for them....thank god you all showed up, as the players would have been devastated and lost some confidence ;)

My hat goes off to everyone who made the trip last night to the airport. I've gone in the past and it was always worth the trip. The boys always look tired when they drag off the plane, but I think seeing the Caniacs there puts a smile on their faces. You can tell it was appreciated by reading Paul's blog.

So, don't be discouraged by any of the security issues that apparently occurred Fri night. I'm sure that will be resolved by next Thurs. It's a very cool tradition and one more example of how we have some of the best fans in the NHL.

It was actually my buddy that got cuffed. Detained him for trespassing on Landmark Aviation property, not littering. Although throwing the beer can to the ground did not help his cause. I talked to the cop. He was actually was quite cool after he figured out what was happening. He told me to have the Canes organization let the airport know in the future and there wouldn't be an issue the next time. Still a good time. Lets not let a couple of RDU security issues stop a great Caniac tradition.

P.S. I was me that Whitney tried to high 5, but he missed me

Landmark aviation? I used to work at their Dulles VA location in college. I used to work the crapital flights.

From cbcsports.org:

Hometown fans give 'Canes edge

It was 1 a.m. on Saturday morning before the Carolina Hurricanes landed at RDU Airport, following their Game 2 overtime victory in New Jersey.

Their fans were waiting.

"There were a couple hundred fans waiting for us at the airport last night," Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu said later Saturday morning. "I didn't expect it."

Coach Paul Maurice remembers the tradition beginning when the team won the Stanley Cup.

"There was a crowd. A little different than last time, but it was real nice," Maurice said.

Those fans could give the Hurricanes an edge at home.

"Home ice can be overrated but we want to take advantage of our building and our fans,

From http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnicplayoff/2009/04/hometwon_fans_give_canes_edge.html' target="_blank">cbcsports.org[/post]:

Hometown fans give 'Canes edge

It was 1 a.m. on Saturday morning before the Carolina Hurricanes landed at RDU Airport, following their Game 2 overtime victory in New Jersey.

Their fans were waiting.

"There were a couple hundred fans waiting for us at the airport last night," Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu said later Saturday morning. "I didn't expect it."

Coach Paul Maurice remembers the tradition beginning when the team won the Stanley Cup.

"There was a crowd. A little different than last time, but it was real nice," Maurice said.

Those fans could give the Hurricanes an edge at home.

"Home ice can be overrated but we want to take advantage of our building and our fans,

I forgot that Maurice was here when we won the cup! I was thinking he was coaching the Marlies or something. I must be confused!!

Actually, it started in the 2002 cup run... everyone went out to see the Prince of Wales trophy arrive...

someone better contact rdu ahead and tell them whats coming

I have never gone to this before, but I am in. Check that, there is a very high chance that I will be there if the Canes win. I am not a fair weather fan, but I might be a little too upset to go at 12 or 1 in the morning. Hope more updates come so we will know if we need to bring our shanks and practice breaking out of handcuffs before tomorrow night!

I have never gone to this before, but I am in. Check that, there is a very high chance that I will be there if the Canes win. I am not a fair weather fan, but I might be a little too upset to go at 12 or 1 in the morning. Hope more updates come so we will know if we need to bring our shanks and practice breaking out of handcuffs before tomorrow night!

I was just researching the RDU website, and it looks like someone needs to talk with Mindy Hamlin. Her number is 919-840-7707. (Hope it is ok I posted that) I would totally call her, but I have not been to this before. If no one else wants to do it though, I will. I will pretend I am someone important and if they don't let us stand close to the fence (right?) we are going to the media!!!

I was just researching the RDU website, and it looks like someone needs to talk with Mindy Hamlin. Her number is 919-840-7707. (Hope it is ok I posted that) I would totally call her, but I have not been to this before. If no one else wants to do it though, I will. I will pretend I am someone important and if they don't let us stand close to the fence (right?) we are going to the media!!!

If you really want to get their attention, contact WRAL. They have the most coverage of the Canes and would more than likely send camera crews out to cover it. Id also contact Mike Sundheim and see if they have been in touch with anyone at RDU to "clear the air" about this tradition.

I wonder if with a little advanced warning, the RDU security would be a little more permissive. Knee jerk reactions usually come from not being prepared or informed, thought if they were around in 02 and 06, I dont know how they didn't know this was coming.

I think the team should (hopefully will (or has?)) take care of that. In 2006, the Canes (later in the playoff run...during the Buffalo series for sure) had information on the team's official website about where to go at the airport, parking, what to bring, etc.

I contacted RDU security earlier today. So they at least now know to expect folks to show up late tomorrow night. I've asked if there is anything that can be done to improve the logistics, parking, etc. Someone is supposed to call me back tomorrow. If I find out anything I'll post it.

Edited to add: Before my call, I don't believe they were aware we'd be back out there tomorrow night, I can't be certain but I do not believe that anyone from the Canes organization has contacted them.