The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac-97

Airport Ritual - Playoffs Canes Style

For anyone heading to the airport tonight....I talked to Landmark Aviation and RDU Security today. They are going to open the lot formerly known as "Lot 2", now an unused lot, where we can congregate tonight. This is the lot between the Observation Park and the General Aviation terminal.

When the team arrives we'll need to stand in the same spot where we were Friday night, the grassy area between Lot 2 and General Aviation.

Best as I can tell, this map shows the parking area as "Park and Ride 2", and following are the directions. See you there!

Park-and-Ride-directions.gif

Directions to RDU Park & Ride 2

(Open only during holidays when other parking facilities are full)

From Interstate 40 East: Take Exit 284B and follow signs to RDU on Terminal Blvd. Continue on Terminal Blvd. past Terminal A. Take your first right turn onto W. International Drive. Continue on W. International Drive through the tunnels and as it turns 90 degrees to the right. Immediately following that turn, the entrance to Park and Ride 2 will be on the left.

From Interstate 40 West: Take Exit 285 and follow signs to RDU on Terminal Blvd. Continue on Terminal Blvd. past Terminal A. Take your first right turn onto W. International Drive. Continue on W. International Drive through the tunnels and as it turns 90 degrees to the right. Immediately following that turn, the entrance to Park and Ride 2 will be on the left.

From US 70: Take the Lumley Road exit and follow signs to RDU. The airport entrance will be ahead on your left hand side. Turn left into the airport on Commerce Drive and follow the signs toward the terminals. Continue past the cargo buildings (Fed Ex and UPS) on your right. Once you pass Observation Park on your left, you will take your first left hand turn onto International Drive.

Immediately following that turn, the entrance to Park and Ride 2 will be on your left.

From Interstate 540: Take I-540 West to Exit 2 (Aviation Parkway). Follow the signs for RDU and you will enter the airport on Terminal Blvd. Continue on Terminal Blvd. past Terminal A. Take your first right turn onto W. International Drive. Continue on W. International Drive through the tunnels and as it turns 90 degrees to the right. Immediately following that turn, the entrance to Park and Ride 2 will be on the left.

Does anyone know the flight tracking information? When should we congregate? When will the guys get home? Thanks!

Seems I just might have answered my own question. I went to Flight Aware and entered the same flight information as the other day. To go directly to it without having to enter anything, here's the site: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/PCE3937''>http://flightaware.com/live/flight/PCE3937' target="_blank">http://flightaware.com/live/flight/PCE3937[/post]. They're listed as leaving New Jersey at 11:20 and arriving at RDU at 12:28-12:38. If you're coming for the first time, I'd try to get there earlier rather than later. I went for the first time the other night, got lost, and got there as the team was driving away. I missed them getting off the airplane or rounding the corner or whatever it is they do. I'm going to be there around midnight tonight so that I don't miss anything.

Another tip for first-timers: drive through terminals 1 & 2 (or A & B, I forget which they use, letters or numbers), then be on the lookout for a sign that says General Aviation with an arrow pointing right. You're going to turn right to go to the General Aviation area. It comes up quickly if you don't know to look for it, and seems hidden in the dark. After you turn right, simply follow the road until you see the other fans. It seems the large parking lot will be open for us tonight, but the other day, we had to park in the Observation Park lot; just keep driving and you'll see the lot (it's a small one) around at the back of the large "employees only" parking lot. Simply walk through the trees at the back of the lot to get to the large parking lot and the fans. Good luck!

Kudos to everyone who went to cheer the Canes home tonight! I know it's a school/work night, so the turnout wasn't as great as last Friday, but there were still a goodly number of Caniacs present; I'd estimate about 50 or so.

I'd like to give special thanks to Jim Rutherford and Chad LaRose. Mr. Rutherford actually pulled up beside us, rolled down his window, and thanked us profusely for being there. It meant a lot to him. It meant a lot to us, too, truth be told. Chad was the only member of the team who cheered us on. He drove by a little more slowly than the rest and pumped his fist in the air (in a good way!) and cheered with us as he drove by. Several others waved, flashed their lights, or honked their horns, but mostly just drove by rather quickly as if wanting to be anywhere else but there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, not really. I know the guys were tired, had a long day, and were probably still smarting from the night's loss, so understandably, they wanted to hurry home to their families and their own beds. But, still. Would it have been too terrible for them to at least roll down their windows and wave, or at least let us see their faces so we could get ecstatic at being able to identify who was driving by? No. I'm not complaining; I'm just a tad disappointed, is all.

As for who I did see ... and believe me, I was excited when I recognized them ... I had a sort of viewing partner, Pam, I think her name was; as each car went by, we tried to figure out who was in it. We saw, as mentioned, Mr. Rutherford and Chad. We recognized (or thought we did) Tom Rowe, Chuck Kaiton, Wally the equipment guy, and Ron Francis. There was a car with three guys in it which Pam figured was the Finnish Contingent as she recognized Joni. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see Ruutu (he's my mom's favorite). We also saw someone who was either Tim Gleason or Dennis Seidenberg. Trust me, at midnight, looking through moving car windows that are doing a superb job of reflecting street lights, it's easy to mistake Tim for Dennis. Or maybe Scott Walker. Can you see why I'd love it if they at least just rolled their windows down as they drove by?

Regardless, I'll be there again on Tuesday, waving my rally rag, cheering and hollering with the rest of them, welcoming "my" guys home and praising a job well done ... win or lose.

I love being a Caniac! Thanks to everyone who showed up, in person or in spirit. I hope to see you all again on Tuesday night!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, not really. I know the guys were tired, had a long day, and were probably still smarting from the night's loss, so understandably, they wanted to hurry home to their families and their own beds. But, still. Would it have been too terrible for them to at least roll down their windows and wave, or at least let us see their faces so we could get ecstatic at being able to identify who was driving by? No. I'm not complaining; I'm just a tad disappointed, is all.

I know you aren't complaining, but remember why you went there: to show support for them. Don't believe for a second that the team doesn't appreciate coming home to a warm welcome after a hard fought game that resulted in a loss. Your presence there will do more good than harm and every single one of them appreciate it, whether or not they showed it tonight. Assuming we win Sunday, I'll be there Tuesday night, win or lose.

Thanks to everyone who made the trek out there tonight.

As for who I did see ... and believe me, I was excited when I recognized them ... I had a sort of viewing partner, Pam, I think her name was; as each car went by, we tried to figure out who was in it. We saw, as mentioned, Mr. Rutherford and Chad. We recognized (or thought we did) Tom Rowe, Chuck Kaiton, Wally the equipment guy, and Ron Francis. There was a car with three guys in it which Pam figured was the Finnish Contingent as she recognized Joni. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see Ruutu (he's my mom's favorite). We also saw someone who was either Tim Gleason or Dennis Seidenberg. Trust me, at midnight, looking through moving car windows that are doing a superb job of reflecting street lights, it's easy to mistake Tim for Dennis. Or maybe Scott Walker. Can you see why I'd love it if they at least just rolled their windows down as they drove by?

Hockey Fan, I was there last night as well, and I took pictures. Granted, they are more of an evidentiary quality than they are photographic quality, but I can assure you that several players did roll down their windows and smile and wave at us. You didn't see Tuomo because he was in the back seat of Joni Pitkanen's car (Jussi was riding shotgun) but the window was rolled down and all three of the Finns gave us smiles and waves. So did Staal, Cullen, Eaves, Kaberle, Bayda, Nic, Leighton, Cole, Dwight Helminen (who had two others in the car with him whose faces I couldn't see), Seids, and Corvo. Oh, and Tripp too. I could have missed some of them. Granted they didn't look happy, but they did look appreciative.

Kudos to RDU for doing a fine job setting up the parking lot (and signage) for last night. I had told them to expect more people than actually showed, and they were ready for us and very helpful!

Hockey Fan, I was there last night as well, and I took pictures. Granted, they are more of an evidentiary quality than they are photographic quality, but I can assure you that several players did roll down their windows and smile and wave at us. You didn't see Tuomo because he was in the back seat of Joni Pitkanen's car (Jussi was riding shotgun) but the window was rolled down and all three of the Finns gave us smiles and waves. So did Staal, Cullen, Eaves, Kaberle, Bayda, Nic, Leighton, Cole, Dwight Helminen (who had two others in the car with him whose faces I couldn't see), Seids, and Corvo. Oh, and Tripp too. I could have missed some of them. Granted they didn't look happy, but they did look appreciative.

Kudos to RDU for doing a fine job setting up the parking lot (and signage) for last night. I had told them to expect more people than actually showed, and they were ready for us and very helpful!

Nice work by you too. Better tell them to be ready for the return after game #7 ;)

Now that the details and police problems have been worked out, I will try to make it out there for sure tuesday night. Win or lose, coming home from a game 7 will mean a hard fought series and they should be applauded for it. :)

Guy Behind the Guy: Keeping the Faith, by Mike Sundheim

The die-hards who showed up at RDU Airport last night certainly felt they had every reason to keep the faith. As they did following Game 6 in Edmonton in 2006, Caniacs gathered at the airport to welcome the team back after a tough loss, and to remind the players that they will be ready to help them defend home ice in the game following. It was a nice late-night pick-us-up, and I thank those of you who were there again last in the wee hours of Friday morning. Also, thanks to RDU authorities, who were apparently quite helpful to the Caniacs, even putting up little "Caniac Parking" signs to help fans know where to go.

Nice work by you too. Better tell them to be ready for the return after game #7 ;)

Thanks! But really all I did was make a couple of phone calls.

And I already put the bug in their ears about game #7 on my way out of the parking lot last night. :lol:

I(maybe Mrs and I) will also make the trip Tues. even tho it's a long trek from Clinton to RDU, because these guys have played their hearts out. Thanks for the directions, and to whoever has set this up. I have faith that it'll be a victorious celebration. GO CANES :rolleyes:

Thanks! But really all I did was make a couple of phone calls.

And I already put the bug in their ears about game #7 on my way out of the parking lot last night. :lol:

Wasnt it you and your friends that were making smores out at the airport in 06 during the finals? Have I lost my mind, I swear I remember that?

I gave out my 3 stars for the airport welcoming crew and I think the smores group was #1. The prom couple was #2 and the guy with the huge Stanley Cup in the back of his truck was #3.

Wow, how did I just remember that?

Wasnt it you and your friends that were making smores out at the airport in 06 during the finals? Have I lost my mind, I swear I remember that?

I gave out my 3 stars for the airport welcoming crew and I think the smores group was #1. The prom couple was #2 and the guy with the huge Stanley Cup in the back of his truck was #3.

i was there that night, had my tailgating chairs next to the fence. thought the prom couple were cute.

That's what happens when you get old. You can't remember what you had for breakfast, but things from years ago you remember like it was yesterday. Trust me, I know. :lol:

That's what happens when you get old. You can't remember what you had for breakfast, but things from years ago you remember like it was yesterday. Trust me, I know. :lol:

Just had that same conversation not too long ago at work. Its crazy what trivial things you can remember and with such detail, but important things....eeeks, just ask my better half. Actually....dont. :lol:

TSA, yes, my friends were in the s'mores group and some of them have also represented during this series (no s'mores yet), but sadly I was not part of those original festivities. I was here for the Cup run in 2006 but was not part of any of the Canes boards so I didn't know about the airport runs. This is my first experience so I wasn't going to miss it this go-round.

Your #3 star has been out there in full force and effect both Friday night and last night.

To everyone that went, or wanted to: You guys are awesome. Having gone to the game, and feeling like everyone else about the outcome, I can only imagine how the players feel to get that welcome.

This has to mean so much to those guys that their will to win must be even stronger. As I left the Prudential Center last night to head back to my hotel, all I could think about was the people waiting for this team at RDU.

GREAT JOB!

TSA, yes, my friends were in the s'mores group and some of them have also represented during this series (no s'mores yet), but sadly I was not part of those original festivities. I was here for the Cup run in 2006 but was not part of any of the Canes boards so I didn't know about the airport runs. This is my first experience so I wasn't going to miss it this go-round.

Your #3 star has been out there in full force and effect both Friday night and last night.

I knew he would be. Ive seen his truck outside the RBC center with the Cup strapped in ready to go. :)