The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bogey1-ch1

Luke Decock

Ya know, a few team message boards have a set minimum # of post a person should have before they start a topic. I believe in this. I didn't before this series, but God-almighty, thus far the Pens fans coming over are worse than Leafs fans. Did I just say that?

Ugh, provide a reason so you can enlighten us all. :rolleyes:

And everyone who automatically thinks it's a Pens fan, what basis do you have besides the Join Date and number of posts?

Name says it all...What a waste of the N&O space each day.......

The only thing he could be referring to as far as I'm aware is Luke's article about the league not being rigged and that conspiracy theorists are getting ridiculous. I thought it was an ok article, I don't think the league is rigged, and I don't think that Canes fans think so (although some of our crazy friends who are Devils/Flyers/Rangers/Caps fans sure do.

Also, I come in peace. Promise to be civil. :)

No offense intended to Chip Alexander, but Luke DeCock has been an outstanding hockey journalist for our N&O. Do I agree with all he prints? No.

But one thing he has proven time and again is he gets it, and he follows it closely.

I long for the day the N&O makes Luke the primary correspondant on the Canes again. His coverage is one of the reasons I have my subscription. When the game of the day by the N&O in March was the LA Kings and the Redwings... one outta wish Luke was handling it. :blink:

I don't agree with some of the stuff he writes, like the Boston Doesn't Deserve the Cup article (I thought that one was horrible), but he gets coverage for the Canes in a time when hockey isn't that big and the coverage for it is even smaller and I support him because of that.

Considering the state of newspapers today (my sister is a sports editor for the Fayetteville paper), we are lucky that the RALEIGH paper covers the Canes. They made the switch from Chip to Luke for some ODD reason and Luke admitted from day one that he didn't know that much about hockey since he was previously an ACC writer (maybe NC State's Beat Writer) I don't remember exactly.

Like recent examples of the Durham paper deciding not to cover NC State anymore, and the Charlotte paper not covering anything besides the Panthers and the Tarheels, we're lucky to have a beat writer even here in Raleigh. Like Charlotte Caniac said.. any coverage is good coverage... they could be like every other paper and brush us off for Horse Racing.

I think he's done well being shoved into a new assignment.

I thought Luke had been promoted or taken on a larger role - covering more sports than just hockey.

He's still our Canes contributor for The Hockey News.

I much prefer him to Chip - but Chip will get there over time as well.

They made the switch from Chip to Luke for some ODD reason and Luke admitted from day one that he didn't know that much about hockey since he was previously an ACC writer (maybe NC State's Beat Writer) I don't remember exactly.

FYI I think you've got the names backwards.

FYI I think you've got the names backwards.

I thought Luke was the new writer for the Canes... I must have gotten them reversed. If Luke's been covering the Cane's for years then whats the problem? Obviously the original poster didn't give a reason so there must not be one.. he had me confused. I knew we had a new beat writer and the way he was bashing Luke I figured Luke was the new one.

File this in the "non issue" barrel... LOL.... :)

Note the date

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/changes-to-our-coverage

Changes to our coverage

Submitted by ldecock on 08/16/2008 - 19:12

This will be announced in tomorrow's paper, but I felt the readers who have helped make this blog so successful should know first: I will no longer be covering the Hurricanes for the N&O; instead, I am becoming a general sports columnist and Chip Alexander will be taking over the beat (and this blog).

Chip, who has covered N.C. State for the N&O and has worked at the paper since 1979, has a long background and solid foundation in hockey. He covered the NHL expansion bids and eventual move of the Hartford Whalers to Raleigh and has been an integral part of the N&O's coverage team for all four of the team's playoff appearances.

In my new role, I will continue to write about the Hurricanes, but from a columnist's perspective, which should broaden and deepen the scope of our coverage of the team.

I'll also have a blog of my own, Talking Points, which you can visit at blogs.newsobserver.com/decock, but thanks for making this blog so successful as well as your continued support.

I can't find the other article, but there was one that pointed out how much Chip had covered the ACC.