The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

So we're in a 3-0 hole...

We've had chances and failed to convert. We've had periods of total disinterest in playing defense. We've looked totally outclassed at times. And it's 3-0 and we're looking at a sweep. As a fan of this team, after everything they've given to us over the past few months and this thrilling playoff run, can we at least hold off on throwing the team under the bus and throwing the towel in until the thing is actually over? The following things have happened over the past month:

* Tim Gleason - think about that for a moment - has scored an OT winner.

* We won a game in regulation with ZEROES ON THE CLOCK.

* We scored two goals in the final 90 seconds to beat the great Marty Brodeur in Game Seven on the road

* The Juice struck again in OT to beat Boston.

* And we blew a 3-1 series lead against the best team in the East only to win on the road in Game Seven - again - with Scotty Walker's OT goal deep in OT.

We have another playoff game to play. Let's enjoy this, people.

I am totally with you on enjoying it. But please, losing by 3 or 4 is hard to enjoy. You are right though, it has been something special

No offense, but this is the sort of thing you'd expect to read after a series is over. I don't think anyone can enjoy being down 3-0 and being absolutely killed in the last 2. Yeah we've done some great stuff, but it's hard to celebrate in the middle of an epic collapse. Once it's all done, yeah...

but it's hard to celebrate in the middle of an epic collapse.

1) What collapse? We're not supposed to be here.

2) I'm not looking for celebrating. Just the "it's over, find a golf course" sort of comments, which I've seen a few, are an insult to everything this team's accomplished this year. This bunch hasn't acquired the "Cardiac Canes" mantra for nothing.

No offense, but this is the sort of thing you'd expect to read after a series is over. I don't think anyone can enjoy being down 3-0 and being absolutely killed in the last 2. Yeah we've done some great stuff, but it's hard to celebrate in the middle of an epic collapse. Once it's all done, yeah...

amen

1) What collapse? We're not supposed to be here.

2) I'm not looking for celebrating. Just the "it's over, find a golf course" sort of comments, which I've seen a few, are an insult to everything this team's accomplished this year. This bunch hasn't acquired the "Cardiac Canes" mantra for nothing.

Why not, we were the hottest team other then the Pens over the last 20 games of the season

No worries... The boys will come out in game 4, hanging on for dear life, and they'll play their best playoff hockey yet. They know it's live for another day now, ant maybe thats the spark the team needs. They are tired. I'd be tired too, after getting mauled by Boston, then facing a red hot Pens team. Just show up, and support... thats all we as fans can do

NEVER GIVE UP!!! Quit saying it's over... we've got at least 1 more game, if not 4

The only reason I'm getting my mourning out of the way now is to make losing easier if/when we do get eliminated. Can the Canes come back? Of course they can, it's possible, and if there is any team in the final four that can do it, it's the Cardiac Canes. But climbing out of a 3 game deficit has only happened twice in a long NHL history, so the odds of it happening are so slim I don't think it fits the definition of "odds." I hope they can and I'll keep pulling for them as hard as I have thus far, but at the same time I know this team is exhausted and would need a slew of miracles to pull it off, number 1 and 2 being two particular players on the other team disappearing for 240 minutes.

It doesn't make me any less proud of what they have accomplished, and they've given us memories that can never be taken away.

No matter what happens the next 4 games, this Canes team has had a really impressive showing in these playoffs. They have done things I will remember for a long time even as a non-Canes fan. They left it all out on the ice, and no one can say they haven't.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if this series ended on Tuesday... as I've said several times, I want our season to end with Caniac Nation giving this team a loud ovation for a heck of a spring run. Ending it all in Pittsburgh with a crowd that is happy you're done for the season just makes it hurt even more. Even though they would have a respectable group of Caniacs at the airport to support them as they got back home, it would mean a lot more to hear that loud roar in the final couple of minutes of their season. This team deserves a great sendoff for giving us Hurricanes hockey much longer than we thought we'd get it... and exciting hockey, at that.

Let it be known that I'm not guaranteeing that the series is over, because with this team, you just never know. But it appears that the gas tank has hit empty, and the fact that Pittsburgh is the opponent doesn't help.

So we're in a 3-0 hole...

Indeed.

BUT

It was a mere few months ago that some were calling for JR's head, screaming for trades, and generally throwing the whole organization under the bus. Playoffs? PFFTTTT yeah right.

Regardless of the outcome, we are in the ECF after missing the playoffs for two years straight. It's been a good season and we still have at least one more game to play.

My .02

No matter what happens the next 4 games, this Canes team has had a really impressive showing in these playoffs. They have done things I will remember for a long time even as a non-Canes fan. They left it all out on the ice, and no one can say they haven't.

Agreed... its been a hell of a ride... I've got nothing but applause for this team even though the ride is sputtering out... we're running out of miracles. Like I said in tonights PGA... we've played really good, but it's just not good enough.. but we've gone out with a bang, beat a bunch of teams we had no business beating and given us 8 (or more) home games that we didn't think we'd have.

I'm with you THM... this team tried to do the impossible, and they gave it a hell of a shot and WAY TO GO!!! Who knows.. a win tuesday and who knows what could happen!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if this series ended on Tuesday... as I've said several times, I want our season to end with Caniac Nation giving this team a loud ovation for a heck of a spring run. Ending it all in Pittsburgh with a crowd that is happy you're done for the season just makes it hurt even more. Even though they would have a respectable group of Caniacs at the airport to support them as they got back home, it would mean a lot more to hear that loud roar in the final couple of minutes of their season. This team deserves a great sendoff for giving us Hurricanes hockey much longer than we thought we'd get it... and exciting hockey, at that.

Let it be known that I'm not guaranteeing that the series is over, because with this team, you just never know. But it appears that the gas tank has hit empty, and the fact that Pittsburgh is the opponent doesn't help.

Well said, gocanes...well said. Agree all the way.

Anyone remember 2001 and how we avoided a sweep against New Jersey by pulling off 2 straight? I'm not counting these guys out, because they've amazed me in different ways in the playoffs. If there is a team that is capable of pulling off 4 straight, these guys are it. This franchise, despite only being here since 1997, already has a nice rich history to it, if we can pull this off, it would just add to the galore.

I do agree it has been a fun ride, why not keep it going past tuesday?

We're most likely going to lose. No matter what happens, I am very disappointed. Not in the fact they lost, they were amazing, but in the way they lost. Getting killed the last two games, and to be eliminated in a sweep after two insane 7-game series? I would be angry as any 'Canes fan would if we lost, but it just makes me even angrier that we are losing by getting dominated and outplayed.

Anyone remember 2001 and how we avoided a sweep against New Jersey by pulling off 2 straight? I'm not counting these guys out, because they've amazed me in different ways in the playoffs. If there is a team that is capable of pulling off 4 straight, these guys are it. This franchise, despite only being here since 1997, already has a nice rich history to it, if we can pull this off, it would just add to the galore.

There is no way we can win even one with the defense we've been putting out on the ice. Also our lack of scoring. I'm really disappointed in Cole the most, with his lack of offensive production (Cole is my favorite player).

I'm proud of this team because they brought playoff hockey and playoff fever back to the Carolinas. There is of course the slimmest of chances that we could come back, but regardless this has been a heck of a run. The thing is that even though we were one of the hottest teams coming into it we still had to play against NJ with the best goalie of all time and Boston, the best team in the East all year with Chara and the eventual Vezina winner. Pitt had to play Philly and Washington. Sure it is hard to beat Philly and the Ovechkins, but those series weren't near as physically punishing as the ones the Canes went through. Right now we are a half step behind and aren't being allowed to play our game. We had to play playoff hockey for the last 2 months, so did Pittsburgh, but they're a much younger team.

Brindamour seems to have collapsed after his good run to end the year and that negated our biggest asset coming in, our ability to roll 3 maybe even 4 lines deep. We've been getting contributions from sources we didn't expect and that has catapulted us 2 rounds farther than we would've gotten without Whitney, Cole, Rutuu, Babchuk, Corvo, etc. not producing. I mean all of this has led to the Pens being able to triple team Staal and not have anyone else beat them. If that happens then I don't see how we can even come close to winning a game. Right now as much as I love Brindy, Cullen and Jussi we don't have that 3-4 line rotation that we need since we cannot be a top heavy team like the Pens with Malkin/Crosby. Also with the demise of Brindy we do not have a shut down defensive line like they do, Brindy played awesome down the stretch to get us in the playoffs, but may have tired himself out in doing so. I'm not sure he can last another full season.

I think this run has shown us that we have the legitimate presence to be a Cup contender again next year if this season is truly done, but I think JR will need to make some moves to get us back to the level we were at in '06. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Brindy's salary spent elsewhere so we could potentially attract another player to take the load off of Staal's shoulder so teams will have to account for both of them. Also as much as I like Cole, I'm not sure he was the real reason we succeeded down the stretch. It wasn't as much Cole as it was simply we were adding another forward to balance out our lines.

Its been a great run. What else can a Caniac say truthfully? I'm happy we got this far with all the challenges our team has faced this year. In between:

-Being outside of playoff contention for so long this season

-The challenges our guys have faced off the ice. First Jokinen's Dad passing away, and then Walkers wife being diagnosed with cancer (but at least the doctors strongly believe she will get through it because of early detection)

-Having our coach fired that greatly helped our team win the Hurricanes first cup after 9 years since they relocated to North Carolina

-Missing the playoffs 2 seasons in a row after winning the Stanley Cup (a first in NHL history)

-Having long periods of games during the start of the season we saw our team play overall poorly

- Last, but not least, having OUR team upset New Jersey and more importanly Boston, a team basically EVERYBODY thought was at least going too the cup finals

Even though I went to game 3 seeing my team lose for the third game in a row in front of my own eyes, I cannot put myself in denial saying they didn't pass expectations.

So, look to the good my fellow Caniac's, our team can still win one more game in our building, and hopefully this postseason will really help out the teams experience of the playoffs, AND hopefully some good things happen during the offseason with the re-signing of players and a couple of new players (be it Sutter, and Boychuk that play full time next year or a free agent or two).

I don't want to sound like an *edit*, but I always expect my team to win. The point of the game is to win. Obviously you aren't going to win every game, but when you pull two huge upsets, then face a team that isn't as challenging as the previous two, and you go down 3-0, that's a disappointment to me. I'd be glad if they lost in a hard fought series, but so far I see no one fighting for it that hard this series.

This is the attitude! The Canes need 1 win right now, prove to themselves they can beat the Pens. Do that and there is greater confidence with continued desperation in the play in game 5 to get the series back to Raleigh for game 6. First things first, win each shift on Tuesday to keep the series going! And who knows what happens! You can't win 4 games at once, but 1 shift at a time it can happen!

Focus on winning each shift in game 4 may help the guys address what I see as the main cause for the series standing, momentary lapses on which the Pens capitalize. The Pens are too good to have even a short lapse. The key moments, the middle 2 minutes of period 1 game 1; last minute of period 2 game 2; and last minute of period 1 game 3. Without these 3 key let down moments, I believe that the Canes would have at least 1 win. Now it's time to regroup and then go out and re-prove that the team knows what it takes to win deep in the playoffs!

GO CANES!!!!

I am just glad that we made it this far in the playoffs if you would have told me in January that we would make it to the ECF I might have chuckled a little bit. I have enjoyed going to the playoff games I have missed that for way to long. Overall we are a better team than this we should not be getting blown out like this we just arent that bad aslong as we resign Ruutu, LaRose and either Seidenberg or Babchuk I think that we will be allright next season and be able to make it back to the playoffs. GO CANES!!

I'm proud that we have made it this far and I do think the Pens have more talent. I didn't expect after such a close game 1 that we would let them dominate us the way we have. We battled back so hard in game 2 to tie it at 4. When its all said and done I will still be proud of the run we had.

teams from the carolinas are typically my second favorite teams since the carolinas would be my second favorite place to be outside of pittsburgh. I would have been fine had the canes taken out the pens, and who knows weirder things have happened than a team coming back from 0-3. Having said that, if the Canes do get eliminated, they still had a heck of a run this postseason. The team cant win a stanley cup every year and frankly getting to the ECF is no small accomplishment.

And by the way, if anyone had said about 2/3rds way into the season that these two teams would be the ones in the ecf they probably would have been laughed at. Very impressive achievement for two squads and coaches.