The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

So we're in a 3-0 hole...

And by the way, if anyone had said about 2/3rds way into the season that these two teams would be the ones in the ecf they probably would have been laughed at. Very impressive achievement for two squads and coaches.

Yes, do not want to overlook this for either team. Bylsma and Mo deserve serious kudos. These were the two teams with the most points post all-star break in the East and the playoffs show that was no mistake. I'm never one to say surrender, so I'm willing the Canes forward. Will root for the winner of the East in the SCF. My wife's family is in the Wilkes-Barre area (Pens AHL) and they are happy to see Bylsma continue to succeed at the nhl level.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if this series ended on Tuesday... as I've said several times, I want our season to end with Caniac Nation giving this team a loud ovation for a heck of a spring run.

Well, if we're gonna end it at home... why not dominate Game 4, steal game 5 back at Mellon, and then....?

We look tired, we look gassed, the Pens are faster than we are right now. But if we can get back to Pittsburgh and somehow extend it back to Raleigh next weekend with a little momentum... who knows what could happen?

Theres little time to make changes to dig out of the hole, but I'll suggest one: If all Cole is going to do is hit people -- not critical of that, as the team needs some physicality -- but if that's all he's going to do, let's put that to better use:

Dress Cole as a defenseman!

He has played D in the past in an emergency role usually. Putting his physical play from the blue line instead of the forward position may make for an interesting dynamic change for the Canes' Defense. Anything that could possibly throw Pitts offense offstride should be given a go. Radical, sure! But namby-pamby tweeks are not an option. Comments on this? Other bold suggestions?

I couldn't believe how many Pens fans were at RBC last night. In our hotel room, they were definitely the bigger crowd. I'd be in a daze, wondering what's going wrong when "ROOOAAAR!" the crowd goes nuts, and I look back at the action...

and it was a Pens hit on a 'Cane or a Pen goal. that's not how I remembered Buffalo. We drowned them out in '06.

$400 well-spent though. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. GO 'CANES! The come back kids need four straight. We can do it. I still believe.

The Canes may be able to muster enough energy to win one game but this doesn't look like a team that is prepared to mount a serious comeback..

They are 1-5 in their last 6 playoff games. (OT Game 7 with Boston) They have been outscored 31-12 in that stretch.. There have been some brief periods of the last 2 games where the score may have been close but after game 1 the Pens have been in complete control.

maybe next year

This is the same team that fought so hard to even make the playoffs then once in the playoff, they took out the #3 seed in 7 games, then they take on Boston, the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference, no one gave us a chance against them. Once again, we took Boston to a 7th game, only to overtime and on Scotty Walker goal, win the game.

To be the #6 seed and to make the ECF, us, Caniacs should be so very proud of our guys. Battling to even make the playoff then to get to ECF, it makes me so happy to be a Caniac.

You know this team ain't just going to roll over and hand the EC trophy to the Pens, they are going to fight with everything they have until the end. Guys like Whitney, Staal and even Cam need to step it up to another level in Game 4 if we are going to take this to Game 5. It is time for a gut check for this team.

Tuesday Night @ 7:30 will be here before we know it, we need to be cheering our hearts out and we know the RBC is going to loud and rocking. There definitely needs to be a blackout there.

GO CANES

I couldn't believe how many Pens fans were at RBC last night. In our hotel room, they were definitely the bigger crowd. I'd be in a daze, wondering what's going wrong when "ROOOAAAR!" the crowd goes nuts, and I look back at the action...

and it was a Pens hit on a 'Cane or a Pen goal. that's not how I remembered Buffalo. We drowned them out in '06.

$400 well-spent though. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. GO 'CANES! The come back kids need four straight. We can do it. I still believe.

I think that came down to the fact that no matter how loud we were, we had that inkling in the back of our mind that we were only 80 seconds away from Pittsburgh netting 2 goals on us. The place was rocking from the puck drop through Cullen's goal, but after that you could just tell we didn't have it at that point. It is really difficult to keep cheering for your guys when no matter how hard they try they are just too gassed to keep the pedal to the metal right now. In '06 we didn't think that our guys were so exhausted from the first 2 and we knew that they had the physical and mental edge. They could and would come back, and I think that we all had that feeling for the first two rounds and the end of the season. Even in Game 7 we didn't play that great, but Cam was the difference. If Cam really is injured then I don't think this team or the crowd have the overwhelming confidence that we can punch back when the Pens throw something at us.

If we are losing in period 3 on Tuesday though I don't have any doubt that we will be cheering the hell out of this team. This year has been amazing up until the start of this series and we won't let them forget it.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if this series ended on Tuesday... as I've said several times, I want our season to end with Caniac Nation giving this team a loud ovation for a heck of a spring run. Ending it all in Pittsburgh with a crowd that is happy you're done for the season just makes it hurt even more. Even though they would have a respectable group of Caniacs at the airport to support them as they got back home, it would mean a lot more to hear that loud roar in the final couple of minutes of their season. This team deserves a great sendoff for giving us Hurricanes hockey much longer than we thought we'd get it... and exciting hockey, at that.

Let it be known that I'm not guaranteeing that the series is over, because with this team, you just never know. But it appears that the gas tank has hit empty, and the fact that Pittsburgh is the opponent doesn't help.

Well, it's not over until it's over. I've seen stranger things happen, and I still have faint hope.

But when you think that they've gone to 7 games in each series (against some of the toughest teams in the NHL), had some amazing comebacks, it's impressive... Crosby and the Pens haven't had nearly as tough of a go, as the 'Canes. Not to mention some banged up and possibly injured players and a longer break between series.

All I can say is that if the 'Canes do get eliminated, I will be cheering for either Detroit or Chicago...

Note: Whenever the Whalers/Canes have been out, I have always cheered for Chicago...

I think that came down to the fact that no matter how loud we were, we had that inkling in the back of our mind that we were only 80 seconds away from Pittsburgh netting 2 goals on us. The place was rocking from the puck drop through Cullen's goal, but after that you could just tell we didn't have it at that point. It is really difficult to keep cheering for your guys when no matter how hard they try they are just too gassed to keep the pedal to the metal right now. In '06 we didn't think that our guys were so exhausted from the first 2 and we knew that they had the physical and mental edge. They could and would come back, and I think that we all had that feeling for the first two rounds and the end of the season. Even in Game 7 we didn't play that great, but Cam was the difference. If Cam really is injured then I don't think this team or the crowd have the overwhelming confidence that we can punch back when the Pens throw something at us.

If we are losing in period 3 on Tuesday though I don't have any doubt that we will be cheering the hell out of this team. This year has been amazing up until the start of this series and we won't let them forget it.

I may just come out for it and make the 1-1/2 hour drive home. Even with a loss I'd lose my voice cheering for the team. Outdid all expectations already, so there's really nothing to be bitter about.

Just wish the loss weren't against the Pens.

Well, it's not over until it's over. I've seen stranger things happen, and I still have faint hope.

But when you think that they've gone to 7 games in each series (against some of the toughest teams in the NHL), had some amazing comebacks, it's impressive... Crosby and the Pens haven't had nearly as tough of a go, as the 'Canes. Not to mention some banged up and possibly injured players and a longer break between series.

All I can say is that if the 'Canes do get eliminated, I will be cheering for either Detroit or Chicago...

Note: Whenever the Whalers/Canes have been out, I have always cheered for Chicago...

sorry disagree. Pens win in 6 against Philly( came back from down 3-0 in game 6) then win in 7 against Caps.

So we're in a 3-0 hole...

Indeed.

BUT

It was a mere few months ago that some were calling for JR's head, screaming for trades, and generally throwing the whole organization under the bus. Playoffs? PFFTTTT yeah right.

Regardless of the outcome, we are in the ECF after missing the playoffs for two years straight. It's been a good season and we still have at least one more game to play.

My .02

And one more tailgate.

sorry disagree. Pens win in 6 against Philly( came back from down 3-0 in game 6) then win in 7 against Caps.

Disagree with what? That its not over till its over? That the Canes went to 7 games twice and had some amazing comebacks? That the above poster doesnt thing the Pens have had as tough of a road to the ECF's? or that the above poster shouldnt be rooting for the Red Wings or Hawks if it the Pens make it to the finals?

Well, I'm a realist. This team doesn't have the firepower needed to win this series, and certainly not the Cup.

We went much further in the playoffs than I imagined this year - and certainly further then mgmt expected given the great deal they offered to STH on round 3 & 4 pricing! LOL

At best, we'll pull out a win in game 4. But my money isn't on that. We had several great scoring chances last night and couldn't convert. If the Pens had had those chances, they would have converted. We just don't have the scoring skill of Crosby/Malkin or Ovie/Semin. Couple that with some really bad passing in this series, defensive breakdowns, and Cam not playing at his best (moments of greatness but has also allowed soft goals) and we're "done."

Now, for the positive spin - the team made money this year. Let's hope we add someone who can consistently score and tighten up our D and come back for a run to the Cup from the BEGINNING of the season - not the end!

PS: End of 2nd - Det 5, Hawks 1 :(

What this team can do, and always has done, is find a way. All I want to see from this team right now is to play with pride. Win 1, focus on the next, and who knows. But let's finish strong and hard! Go Canes!

What this team can do, and always has done, is find a way. All I want to see from this team right now is to play with pride. Win 1, focus on the next, and who knows. But let's finish strong and hard! Go Canes!

True, but we'll also need some breaks or something. Being down 3-0 in the series, we can play hard and win one game, but the team just won't be able to go at 110% four straight times...that's why we'll need a few breaks which demoralize/stun the Pens.

I agree with you, the Canes have had a tougher playoffs. They played better teams with better goalies and put on a good show. I'll be as loud as I can on Tuesday, win or lose.

I agree Mike....well said. Realistically many of us knew it was gut and grit that got us this far......I am proud of the Hurricanes for their accomplishments this post season..it just didnt go our way this last series and I am sure the guys will play for pride tomorrow night............

I am certain they will get a standing O Tuesday regardless of the outcome. We are lucky to have an NHL team here and we have nothing to be ashamed of.............

Theres little time to make changes to dig out of the hole, but I'll suggest one: If all Cole is going to do is hit people -- not critical of that, as the team needs some physicality -- but if that's all he's going to do, let's put that to better use:

Dress Cole as a defenseman!

He has played D in the past in an emergency role usually. Putting his physical play from the blue line instead of the forward position may make for an interesting dynamic change for the Canes' Defense. Anything that could possibly throw Pitts offense offstride should be given a go. Radical, sure! But namby-pamby tweeks are not an option. Comments on this? Other bold suggestions?

And put Leights in

This is right on the money. I was at the game, and even when Cullen scored, I knew we didn't "have it". Cam looks really frazzled and dead tired, The "D" is also on it's last legs. Can't complain, they've battled hard for so long.

If Cam is tired, or even remotely injured, then we should have put Leights in for Game 2 or even 3. I think it's too late for game 4. I know Cam was hot, and he's the #1, but Gerber was our #1, and we put Cam in for game number 2 or 3. Leighton could have given Cam a breather (I know the schedule has been loopy, but still). That's the whole point of having a back up. And he hasn't looked THAT awful either. The last game he played I thought he played pretty good in replacing Cam.

Hopefully, we can learn from this mistake, and if need be, replace Cam if he let's in 2 goals within 3 minutes. Seriously.

You can't go to Leights now. If you were gonna go to him, you gotta pull the trigger either in Game 2 or 3. Now, facing elimination, Mo has to go with the best guy, and that guy is Cam Ward - injured or not.

I'm with coastal on this. Don't worry about the series, just focus on winning Tuesday. Sure the hole the Canes have dug is huge, but the solution starts with winning on Tuesday. The Canes lost 4 in a row once this season and that was in January (actually 5 in a row). There is no reason they should lose 4 in a row now.

This is my plea to the Canes. Play hard. Give it your all. Yes, your backs are against the wall, but don't lose your confidence. Only one team in the league gets to finish as a winner and you have made it to the final 4. You can beat this team 4 times, but it starts with one shift, one period, and one game on Tuesday.

Don't lay down and let the Pens fans celebrate in OUR HOUSE.