The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

So we're in a 3-0 hole...

You can't go to Leights now. If you were gonna go to him, you gotta pull the trigger either in Game 2 or 3. Now, facing elimination, Mo has to go with the best guy, and that guy is Cam Ward - injured or not.

Thats what I said. But if Cam lets in some soft goals early, then I feel we have to pull him. It might be a mental thing more so than a physical thing... Ex. - 4 minutes in, he's let in 3 goals. PULL HIM.

If we're in the 3rd, score 3-2 in favor of either team, and he lets a softie in, then obviously he stays. But realistically, if he lets some soft goals in right off the bat, then switch it up. Might be better for the team. Cam may not like it, but if it helps the team (even though THEY should have been helping him a while ago as well) then pull the trigger.

Otherwise, ride Cam.

Well, if we're gonna end it at home... why not dominate Game 4, steal game 5 back at Mellon, and then....?

The reason I don't really want that... if we are doomed to lose this series no matter what, then I'd rather it just go ahead and be a sweep instead of it going to six games and getting us excited like we have some hope, only to kill all of that hope by losing.

Every day that there is hockey is another day that I don't have to wait till next season, so if we can push it to five games do it, but I'm thinking that we just go ahead and win 4 straight, if we are playing this bad and are still in these games up until the final minutes, then its not going to take that much more to beat this team, our defense will come together and make good decisions and we will win. End of point. New point, whats wrong with you man how can you want your team to be swept, that's terrible.

The reason I don't really want that... if we are doomed to lose this series no matter what, then I'd rather it just go ahead and be a sweep instead of it going to six games and getting us excited like we have some hope, only to kill all of that hope by losing.

Geez...,maybe we should have just stopped our season after our 1st two game losing streak. I say fight to the end. Show your stuff anddon't go out with your tail between your legs. If the Pens win, make them work hard for it. Our guys are pros and will not just roll over and play dead just to get it over with quicker. Unbelieveable!

If you look at the first three games, we've been in it until the last 10 minutes or so of each game. Although we've lost by big margins, at least the majority of each game was close. Personally, I'm just glad we made it this far. After beating Boston I was sure we could take out the Pens. But that doesn't look like thats going to happen.

I wonder why Mo decided to open the game up so much in this series. The tight defensive play got us this far, why change things up?

Also Forslund stated that Cam is playing injured which could be a reason why he hasnt stolen any games for us this series. I was sure he would outplay MAF and would be the reason we won the series. Now we know why that hasnt happened.

I don't think we can go Leights now unless if Cam played he risks severely injuring whatever he hurt in Game 1. We shouldn't have let him play in game 2 or 3 if he was really that hurt. I don't think you can fault him for some Malkin's and Crosby's goals, but I do think a healthy Cam would've stopped the majority of these straight on slappers that the Pens secondary scoring have been getting past him. Our secondary scoring has been absent the entire playoffs, but Staal, LaRose, Jussi and Sammy have gotten the job done for the first while and in Game 7 against Boston Cam stood up and stole that one for us in Beantown. We needed Cam to be the difference maker again until our secondary scoring in Cole, Rutuu, Corvo, etc. could get it going and allow Staal to play without being triple teamed, but with Wardo hurt he cannot be the net minder that we needed to win this series.

This team has persevered through a lot this year and surprised the entire league. I'm proud of them and will be there Tuesday cheering for them win or lose. I want all the Caniacs to drown out the Pens fans who will be there in full force. I don't expect them to win, but if there is a team left in these playoffs to pull of a historic comeback, it would be the Cardiac Canes.

This season has set us in motion for next year though. We have some obvious needs, and obvious players that we need off of our roster, to address to become a legitimate Cup contender from season's beginning next year. We need another 30 goal scorer, in '06 we had Staal, Brindy, Whitney and Cole. This year we have only Staal and it shows that when our 20 goal scorers get in a funk, Staal is simply getting bottled up and not having room to work. Getting Brindamour, Kaberle, and some of Cole's money for this year back would allow us to do some shopping even with some top minor league guys like Sutter making a push for a spot next year. A top line defensive d-man would be ideal, and at last one more 30 goal scorer to give us some top line depth like we had in '06 would put us in great position to take the SE Division next year, get a high seed in the playoffs and make a run.

What a downer! Never, ever lose in a sweep. Man up and play with some pride.

You know, we're all going to die eventually too. I'm not in any hurry to get there.

Have some dignity. It's not about hope now, it's about hockey.

This team has gutted it out through 2 hard fought series before this one. We beat much better goalies than MAF. I am proud of this team no matter what happens. I hope we can man up and not get swept. Our great fans at the RBC deserve at least one happy night celebrating. Leave it all on the ice and live to see a game 5.

This team has already played past its potential.

I said at the beginning of the playoffs, if we win one round, we'll have reached where we should be for this season, and everything after is a bonus.

Here we are in the last week of May, and we're still playing.

All we can do now is take it a game at a time and hope for the best. If any team could pull off a comeback from an 0-3 hole, it would be this year's 'Canes.

What I'm afraid of more than anything is, if we win Game 4 and it goes back to Pittsburgh, how many times they'll show Malkin's mom. That woman's revolting.

What I'm afraid of more than anything is, if we win Game 4 and it goes back to Pittsburgh, how many times they'll show Malkin's mom. That woman's revolting.

Finally someone comes up with a valid reason to drop game 4. I'll take my chances with a win though.

That's not very nice. Shouldn't attack someone's looks.

It's more revolting to walk around the RBC and see the Pens fans, who now live in Raleigh, proudly displaying their Pens jersey!

That's not very nice. Shouldn't attack someone's looks.

It's more revolting to walk around the RBC and see the Pens fans, who now live in Raleigh, proudly displaying their Pens jersey!

i agree, he must be a youngster. I am pretty close to Malkin's moms age and didn't find her the least bit revolting, just got annoyed because they kept showing her so much instead of the game. someone at VS must have the hots for her.

So we're in a 3-0 hole. So...we go out and win game 4. Then take it from there.

I honestly do not understand the need to jump off the train while it is still moving. This is a game folks, it's not literal. I also have never understood the whole "we're screwed" in January thing, or the overachieving label, or "we weren't supposed to be here" (not to mention "I'd rather lose in 4 than 6"). Are people so afraid of backing something that ultimately might fail to meet their hopes? Does it make you less of a person to pull all the way for a team that ultimately loses? I guess I tend to look more forward than back, so maybe it makes it easier that way. I also take a "what do I tell/show my kids" approach, which also puts a different perspective on things. We went out in a big group yesterday...my brother said he didn't want to wear his Canes hat. Both I and my son were wearing ours. We ain't ready to give up yet.

Is this team tired/hurt, or just outmatched? Or is it just taking longer in this series to make the adjustments needed to win? Those adjustments came quick in the first two series.

Yes, I do have higher brain functions. I'm glad I wasn't there Saturday (let the tix go). I realize the odds are long, and it doesn't look good. I fear there are some injuries we won't be able to overcome. I know we can't get there with the "average" Wardo (and "D") that has showed in the last 2. But I'm not going to start looking back or into the future until the train is over the cliff into Eastwood Ravine. :) Then we can look back at how far we came, and figure out how to get through the summer season.

It is a complicated place to be, on the brink of elimination. This is not meant to be a dig at anyone. Just my thoughts on the topic. Go Canes!!

So we're in a 3-0 hole. So...we go out and win game 4. Then take it from there.

................................................................................

...................... Go Canes!!

Hear hear on the whole post. I still believe through thick and thin.

What I'm afraid of more than anything is, if we win Game 4 and it goes back to Pittsburgh, how many times they'll show Malkin's mom.

Isn't that what an unbiased broadcast is supposed to do? I mean, isn't it better to show his mom than to show a replay on a penalty or actually to do a proper call and analysis on a game being played?

It's the monkeys fault :P I will be there Tuesday night again...Have managed to make it to all the game 4's during the playoffs... Planning on a big win... GO CANES gotta believe

Oh, so Ward's injured? Wow... the excuse making.. Ward didn't look a bit hurt to me in game 3. He was the only reason it was still a game after 2 periods. Realistically, the Canes will probably lose this series. But I really don't want them to be swept. There has to be some drastic changes to steal even a game, let alone the series.

I watch the first 3 games, and I say effort isn't a problem. Preperation for Pittsburgh was a HUGE problem. The Canes are being out-played and out-coached... plain and simple. Pittsburgh was absolutely ready for this series, and the Canes were unprepared. The Pens know exactly what to do to shut this team down. There has been no change from game 1 to game 3, except the severity of the beating. When Chad Larose is your best player, there's a significant problem. Nothing against Larose, but he shouldn't HAVE to be this team's best player. The team should never have traded for Erik Cole. What a huge bust. He's cost the Canes more than he's helped them in the playoffs. For every goal Seidenberg scores, he's responsible for 2 against. Seidenberg is constantly being victimized this series. The coach's one-dimensional offensive strategy had been ineffective to say the least. Most of the Canes are playing their hearts out in a system that simply cannot beat the Pittsburgh Penguins. The adjustments aren't being made. No Conference Final should be a sweep, NOT A SINGLE ONE! Eric Staal is being kept in a Mayonaise Jar and no one has setpped up. Through the next couple of seasons, most Canes fans will find themselves criticizing all the team's offensive Defensemen, because they cannot thrive in Maurice's system. It happened before, and it will happen again.

The sad thing is, because The Canes made the Conference Finals Maurice will get a new contract. Erik Cole will be re-signed when he absolutely shouldn't be, and I fear JR will bring in even cheaper defenseman in the offseason. Kabs is gone, Seidenberg SHOULD be gone, Wallin has shown he can't keep up, and if Babchuk can't do anything other than shoot the puck, he should be gone too.

The Canes have made a team with sub-par defense look like the 95' Devils. They're constantly being mesmerized by Pitt's puck movement and basically the defense has just SUCKED this entire series.

It's not a question of being a fan, or supporting the team. I'm a huge fan of this team, and THAT'S why I'm angry. I want this team to show some damn HEART! This team beat the best goalie ever, the best team in the East all year, and is currently getting kicked in the teeth by The Penguins. I'm not saying the Canes should kill The Pens, but it should at least be competitive, and it's not. Do I realize what the Canes accomplished? Yes I do. Am I proud? Not if they're going to get swept by the Pens. In Professional Hockey, you either win the Cup, or you don't. The rest doesn't matter. The Canes will have accomplished NOTHING if they don't win the Cup, just like the other 28 teams. What would everyone remember? It will not be Jussi's less-than-a-second Game Winner, it will not be the comeback in Game 7 in Jersey, and it won't be Walker's OT Gamer Winner, it'll be getting swept out of the Playoff in the Eastern Conference Finals, and not even putting up a fight while it unfolded.

Oh, so Ward's injured? Wow... the excuse making.. Ward didn't look a bit hurt to me in game 3. He was the only reason it was still a game after 2 periods. Realistically, the Canes will probably lose this series. But I really don't want them to be swept. There has to be some drastic changes to steal even a game, let alone the series.

I watch the first 3 games, and I say effort isn't a problem. Preperation for Pittsburgh was a HUGE problem. The Canes are being out-played and out-coached... plain and simple. Pittsburgh was absolutely ready for this series, and the Canes were unprepared. The Pens know exactly what to do to shut this team down. There has been no change from game 1 to game 3, except the severity of the beating. When Chad Larose is your best player, there's a significant problem. Nothing against Larose, but he shouldn't HAVE to be this team's best player. The team should never have traded for Erik Cole. What a huge bust. He's cost the Canes more than he's helped them in the playoffs. For every goal Seidenberg scores, he's responsible for 2 against. Seidenberg is constantly being victimized this series. The coach's one-dimensional offensive strategy had been ineffective to say the least. Most of the Canes are playing their hearts out in a system that simply cannot beat the Pittsburgh Penguins. The adjustments aren't being made. No Conference Final should be a sweep, NOT A SINGLE ONE! Eric Staal is being kept in a Mayonaise Jar and no one has setpped up. Through the next couple of seasons, most Canes fans will find themselves criticizing all the team's offensive Defensemen, because they cannot thrive in Maurice's system. It happened before, and it will happen again.

The sad thing is, because The Canes made the Conference Finals Maurice will get a new contract. Erik Cole will be re-signed when he absolutely shouldn't be, and I fear JR will bring in even cheaper defenseman in the offseason. Kabs is gone, Seidenberg SHOULD be gone, Wallin has shown he can't keep up, and if Babchuk can't do anything other than shoot the puck, he should be gone too.

The Canes have made a team with sub-par defense look like the 95' Devils. They're constantly being mesmerized by Pitt's puck movement and basically the defense has just SUCKED this entire series.

It's not a question of being a fan, or supporting the team. I'm a huge fan of this team, and THAT'S why I'm angry. I want this team to show some damn HEART! This team beat the best goalie ever, the best team in the East all year, and is currently getting kicked in the teeth by The Penguins. I'm not saying the Canes should kill The Pens, but it should at least be competitive, and it's not. Do I realize what the Canes accomplished? Yes I do. Am I proud? Not if they're going to get swept by the Pens. In Professional Hockey, you either win the Cup, or you don't. The rest doesn't matter. The Canes will have accomplished NOTHING if they don't win the Cup, just like the other 28 teams. What would everyone remember? It will not be Jussi's less-than-a-second Game Winner, it will not be the comeback in Game 7 in Jersey, and it won't be Walker's OT Gamer Winner, it'll be getting swept out of the Playoff in the Eastern Conference Finals, and not even putting up a fight while it unfolded.

You are as bitter as I was when the Pens kept Lemieux, Jagr and Barrasso and let Scotty Bowman walk in instead in 1993 because he wanted the team to work harder than they wanted. I had to watch a team with no heart for 10 years. I would have preferred to have Bowman and a team that knew how to play defense and finish their checks everyday of the week and twice on Sundays and people said I was crazy.

You do have some valid points though. Some things will happen because of this playoff run that aren't good long term for the Canes. Contract extensions, overpaying certain players etc.

You are as bitter as I was when the Pens kept Lemieux, Jagr and Barrasso and let Scotty Bowman walk in instead in 1993 because he wanted the team to work harder than they wanted. I had to watch a team with no heart for 10 years. I would have preferred to have Bowman and a team that knew how to play defense and finish their checks everyday of the week and twice on Sundays and people said I was crazy.

You do have some valid points though. Some things will happen because of this playoff run that aren't good long term for the Canes. Contract extensions, overpaying certain players etc.

Mistakes have been made in the past when JR acted out of emotion rather than needs, he's said that himself. I think he's learned some tough lessons from handing out NTC's and long term contracts out of loyalty and he will think good and hard about whats best for the team moving forward. He's already shown he's not afraid to let go a fan favorites or bring back players he thinks can help now. I guess we'll all see but Im hopeful the lessons have been learned.

Something I meant to add, but temporarily forgot... The team's Captain should seriously consider retirement after this season. It's not a knock on his career, which has been great, or his abilities. It is a knock at what he showed me, and everyone else this season, which was not much. Brindy has had a gret career, and I'm not anti-Brindy in any way, but after this season, one really has to ask how much he has left. If it's the injury thing, and he can do a 180 next season, then I look like an idiot. But hindsight is 20/20. I think it says a lot, when his ice-time at one point dropped below 10 mins or so. Everyone knows what a workout, and health machine Brindy is, so it's not a question of him being in shape, it's a question of what he has left in the tank.