The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
castro

Change of attitude this year.

I would take 10 Chad LaRoses to most players on our team. The guy comes to play every shift of every game. You can't say that about many of our other players. Additionally I think Chad is much more diverse in how he plays. Think about it -- Cole has one move -- pick up the puck high in our defensive zone, skate like a bull up the right side. At about three quarters of the way into the offensive zone he cuts to the middle -- where he either falls on his own or a defenseman picks him up and knocks him on his butt. You have got to believe that every team in the league knows his "move" and plays to it. No wonder he isn't scoring.

"that move" seemed to work just fine before the playoffs. hes more than "that move" hes physical and hes fast. Im more confident when hes on the ice. I saw him play in when he was in edmonton and it confirmed something with me.....he just belongs here. If you are gonna get mad at him for not scoring during the playoffs, point to everybody other than jokinen and staal (pens series).

"that move" seemed to work just fine before the playoffs. hes more than "that move" hes physical and hes fast. Im more confident when hes on the ice. I saw him play in when he was in edmonton and it confirmed something with me.....he just belongs here. If you are gonna get mad at him for not scoring during the playoffs, point to everybody other than jokinen and staal (pens series).

"That move" didn't work during his regular season stint here either. It hasn't worked for a good 2 years now. And actually, the majority of the team scored during the playoffs. Cole was one of just a few that didn't, and it's made worse by the fact he was getting top line minutes and top PP time.

But to answer the original question, it's difficult to tell. LaRose still has that reputation as a non-scorer, so if he went the entire playoffs without a goal, it'd be more acceptable, as long as he continued to put the same energy out there. The same leeway isn't given to Cole, because Cole is SUPPOSED to score goals and when he isn't, he's not worth much.

At some point opponents are going to pick up on LaRoses deficiencies as well. He can out-skate and out-hustle people, but he has a tepid (albeit often tricky) shot, his passing is mediocre, and he is not a good stick handler. He is a threat to score camped out near the net, and on solo breakaways, but not much else. I love Larose, and he brings other intangibles to the team as well, but I don't really see his upside potential being much greater than it is now.

If we were paying them the same amount of money, I would take Cole hands down any day of the week. When you're talking bang for the buck, only then does Larose have the advantage in my book.

"That move" didn't work during his regular season stint here either. It hasn't worked for a good 2 years now. And actually, the majority of the team scored during the playoffs. Cole was one of just a few that didn't, and it's made worse by the fact he was getting top line minutes and top PP time.

But to answer the original question, it's difficult to tell. LaRose still has that reputation as a non-scorer, so if he went the entire playoffs without a goal, it'd be more acceptable, as long as he continued to put the same energy out there. The same leeway isn't given to Cole, because Cole is SUPPOSED to score goals and when he isn't, he's not worth much.

As the resident expert on everything I'm surprised you didn't notice Cole's play against Chara. Concerning the scoring, I agree. He needs to step it up.

Seriously though, did Cole steal your girlfriend or something? You slam on him every chance you get. :lol:

I don't think we've seen Chad's best, yet. He improved throughout the year, and even more in the Playoffs. Hopefully that improvement continues.

Chad also is a big part of the team's chemistry. He's fun loving, playful and "gets it" with fan interaction. He also knows who butters the team's bread. I believe it was game 7 vs Boston, but when everyone sped to congratulate the score, he went straight to Wardo at the other end. He's the kind of guy who picks up the trophy puck for a teammate, and hands it to them afterwards.

I remember not too long ago (maybe it was a while ago lol) saying LaRose's 6 goal season was the most he'll score in a season. Give someone some top 6/9 minutes, and sometimes they might shock you and do better than expected. And what did he produce this year? 19 goals! Almost a 20 goal season. Is it a fluke? Could be... but he's consistently increasing his point production every season. He's a great PK'er, energy guy, gives it his all every night like everyone says. Sign him (not for 2 mil, but maybe JR can make it work and give him a 1.25 mil or so...)

As the resident expert on everything I'm surprised you didn't notice Cole's play against Chara. Concerning the scoring, I agree. He needs to step it up.

Seriously though, did Cole steal your girlfriend or something? You slam on him every chance you get. :lol:

Yes, the ONE game where he seemed to get Chara off his game was great. Doesn't exactly make up for the 30+ he missed.

Chad Larose = great year 19 goals 12 assists

Erik Cole = terrible year 18 goals 24 assists

While I love Chad and appreciate the effort and enthusiasm he gives day in and day out. These two guys are in different leagues. What we need to do is give Cole a one year contract with a lower base salary with some incentives based on his play in that year and go from there, sometimes the pressure of having a big paycheck can get to a guy, but this way he will have to earn that pay based on results, which is what we need.

Last note, this move we're talking about isn't really a move it's more of a "I'm faster than the D-man and now I'm going to go to the net, hopefully it goes in." its not really a move its more of a product of his speed and a lack of space to do anything different except turn around. I voted for Ruutu.

Sure, I like Rosey and Cole. But liking a guy isn't enough when it comes right down to it. What else does Chad have to prove? I hope we resign him, something in the range of doubling his salary. Cole may be a fan favorite but his play doesn't warrant anything near what he made last year. If he want 3-mil to stay, I say let him walk.