The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

We Really Should Be Ashamed

Well guys I am a yinzer from the Pittsburgh area and an all around Pittsburgh sports fan (yes I still pull hard for the Buccos). I was at the game with my 8 year old son Saturday night and we were wearing our full pens gear. I have read a lot about the drunken boorish Pens fans and yes they were in attendance. However the verbal abuse we took on the walk into the game was just as classless and distasteful as what I have read about the Pens fans. I fully expected it being on enemy turf but thought that with a kid some restraint may be shown. Not the case I think the vulgarities intensified because of it. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but before classifying all Pens fans based on the actions of a few I think the behavior of your own should be addressed as well. All in all we had a great time and the fans for the most part in my section were very respectful and welcoming. The Canes have a great team and since being transplanted in Carolina since their inception I have come to follow them and attend my fair share of games. However my heart still lives with the Pens. Congrats on a great season and good luck tonight!!

Rags..... I have heard that term used as a disparaging reference to the Rangers before.... either on the Caps or the Flyers board. I can't remember which.

Oh don't mind me, I'm just trying to triangulate this troll's true location.

You heard it from the Pens, Caps and Flyers boards. My true location is NC. ;)

then you really don't know this area, if folks will gather to watch cars drive in circles and will travel from all over then they will do the same for this.

I could never understand that or heck even going to watch the PGA. Anywho....

You heard it from the Pens, Caps and Flyers boards. My true location is NC. ;)

Ah, well I don't really go on the Pens board. Most of Crosby nation is a little juvenile for my tastes. I do check out Pensblog on occasion for chuckles. Some people put a ton of work into the photoshopped stuff on there. I only read other teams boards when we are playing them in the playoffs. I really have nothing to say to Flyers or Caps fans though, they seem to despise their teams more than I do.

So.... getting back to the topic at hand, have we concluded that because some folks cant afford to buy playoffs tickets that there's nothing to be ashamed about. And that the fact that the Canes didnt exactly give the crowd too much to cheer about helped the Pens fans seem louder and more obnoxious?

The Canes fans were into it from the start, but had the life sucked out of them in the third. In other markets, the fans would have booed their team off the ice but we didnt. And the fans will be there tonight as well. Hopefully they give us all something to cheer about and that will keep the Pens fans quiet.

I think we can all agree that nobody is opposed to fans cheering for either team as long as it stays about the play on the ice. When it gets personal or even malicious, its not really about a hockey game anymore. A little courtesy from visiting fans goes a long way as well as some good manner from the home fans.

Does this pretty much wrap this up?

Most threads are useless but this place isn't as bad as the pens board.

No it isnt and we wont allow it to get to that way either.

Who should be ashamed are the ones who cheered for the Canes in Rounds 1 and 2 and then turned their back on the Canes when the Pens came to town. They do the samething during the regular season. 40 games they are Canes fans, those other 2, the Crosby jersey's come out. These folks are STH for the Canes. And being a STH, they took advantage of purchasing extra strips to bring their buddies/family/etc here to attend Games 3/4.

You can restrict ticket sales all you want, but that won't keep travelling fans from attending games when they have their buddies getting them tickets.

More than half those Pens fans drove in from Cary. And I'd say half of those, are Canes STHs. Those are the ones who should be ashamed. Not true Canes fans who can't afford tickets. If I wasn't a STH and didn't take advantage of the pay as we play offer, I can't say I would be able to afford to attend every home game.

Let me try again, now have we wrapped this up? Im not seeing anything new that hasnt been said already.

So.... getting back to the topic at hand, have we concluded that because some folks cant afford to buy playoffs tickets that there's nothing to be ashamed about. And that the fact that the Canes didnt exactly give the crowd too much to cheer about helped the Pens fans seem louder and more obnoxious?

The Canes fans were into it from the start, but had the life sucked out of them in the third. In other markets, the fans would have booed their team off the ice but we didnt. And the fans will be there tonight as well. Hopefully they give us all something to cheer about and that will keep the Pens fans quiet.

I think we can all agree that nobody is opposed to fans cheering for either team as long as it stays about the play on the ice. When it gets personal or even malicious, its not really about a hockey game anymore. A little courtesy from visiting fans goes a long way as well as some good manner from the home fans.

Does this pretty much wrap this up?

Good wrap up!.. and works for me..

And let's face it the team would be boo'ed off the ice in many other arena's for saturday's performance, heck the boo-birds could be heard at the Hawks game in third sunday FWIW..So that most went the "silent" route and not booing, i guess something, though that made the quin fans seem louder :lol:

And Probably a topic and discussion for another day and thread, something has gone wrong in stadium behaivor in general over the last decade..There is ALOT LESS common courtesy and manners from BOTH sides than you use to see.. And i'm not just talking traditional 40-50 year rivalries that can understand the anonymosity, but waaaaaaay too many get some "beer muscles" going and goes from a fun time of rooting for your team, to becoming personal and needing to physically or verbally assualt people like they just insulted your younger sister.. Its crazy and as I tailgate to many sports and games all over the country, its not a "raleigh" or North carolina or southern "thing" its nationwide and its a real shame in oh so mnay ways.

For mnay its less about the 'event", than a power drinking time, which turns into a testerone -fest of thinking acting tougher and tougher when just getting more and more childish

I really have nothing to say to Flyers or Caps fans though, they seem to despise their teams more than I do.
I laughed out loud at that one, Guins. I'd never heard it articulated that way before, but it rings so true! :lol:

If it makes anyone feel better, just think of it as I do. Every Pens fan who pays full price for a ticket to our playoff games is putting $ into the coffers that will help re-sign Larose. or <insert your favorite cane who is up for contract here>

I have a friend who ended up paying $800 for his 4 tickets (2 for each game). That's more than I have spent for the whole playoffs... And I have been to every game...

Think about it...

If it makes anyone feel better, just think of it as I do. Every Pens fan who pays full price for a ticket to our playoff games is putting $ into the coffers that will help re-sign Larose. or <insert your favorite cane who is up for contract here>

I have a friend who ended up paying $800 for his 4 tickets (2 for each game). That's more than I have spent for the whole playoffs... And I have been to every game...

Think about it...

the starting bid on ebay for game 5 for 2 tickets is $350.00 I would think they will go for around $450 to $500

Think about it...

Bingo! Add parking to it as well as concession. I had to use the free towel they gave me at the door to wipe the tears for the amount of money I spent. I think my Blue Moon was $10 a piece. Larose works for me now!

Ashamed of the Canes chick in our section (122) who was doing a really good impersonation of a Slugs fan. I've never seen her before tonight's game and we're STHs. She was mouthing off at every Pens fan and was over the top rude. A bunch of Canes people in our section told her to sit down and shut up.

Ashamed of the Canes chick in our section (122) who was doing a really good impersonation of a Slugs fan. I've never seen her before tonight's game and we're STHs. She was mouthing off at every Pens fan and was over the top rude. A bunch of Canes people in our section told her to sit down and shut up.

Again, an example of a bad fan - not a fanbase. The good ones you don't hear from, so of course they all look bad.

But I still don't understand what I'm supposed to be ashamed about. Even if they only sold to zip codes in NC, I'm pretty sure there are Pens fans here. The Canes didn't give us much to cheer about, but we still applauded when the season was over and saluted our team for a great effort.

Pennsylvania is the fastest aging state in the nation. why? Not because they're getting older, but because the younger people are LEAVING. and... where are they going? In LARGE numbers, they're coming to North Carolina. and if their presence here increases ticket sales so our Canes can do more spending, WELCOME!, WELCOME, WELCOME! It's how teams grow fan bases. appeal to as many as possible, sell to as many as possible, and over time, WITH TEAM SUCCESS, the 'home' population will dwarf the 'visitors'. Give it time. We may be one of the few teams who make money this year. THAT'S TERRIFIC!

Sorry you had to experience that. It isn't unusual for opponent teams to show up for big games (just think of those true rivalries in cities of close proximity). We don't have a homogeneous population here, so it's going to happen.

Being at the game, I could have chosen to get distracted by it, ignore it, or just be loud. Personally it didn't bother me, but I also didn't experience what you did. I will say that I saw 2 instances of Canes fans dishing it out to Pens fans that seemed undeserving.

Now do I like the fact that there are season ticket holders that are part time Canes fans and full time Pens (or any non-Canes team) fans? Not really--but I don't like the ones who are NOT sth'ers and are part time Canes fans and full time Pens fans more. The more Canes games one sees, the better the chance of them becoming a Cane's fan--and that is what is truly important. We live in an area that is attractive to many in the colder climes and just as we needed them to bring better pizza and bakerys, we need to be tolerant of their dalliances with their birth teams. Eventually the children will be flipped and the roots will wither, but until then, just know that they help everyone enjoy the Canes by buying their season tickets. And yes, I am a transplant as well.

Did she have Blonde hair?

1) PLEASE lets get a new jumbotron. I am embarrassed when they show it on tv. Other arenas have beautiful screens. We have orange pixels.

2) Penguins draw alot of bandwagon fans to games. enough said

3) Why was the guy behind our bench wearing a steelers jersey?!?!

4) I thought when the pens got the empty net we were in pittsburgh. Or the noise was a collective sigh of 'yes' and 'wth'

5) We had a great season. Before the all-star break the playoffs seemed impossible. The team can not play at 150% for 4 months straight and thats what it came down to. We had to go hard just to get in.

That my thoughts.. probably way off topic though..

4) I thought when the pens got the empty net we were in pittsburgh. Or the noise was a collective sigh of 'yes' and 'wth'

I know in the section I was in and the surrounding sections everyone was on their feet being as loud as we could for OUR GUYS (the Canes) we wanted them to know how much we appreciated their efforts...at that point the empty net was an after thought...

Butts in Seats = Cash = Players=New Jumbotron (maybe)

new jumbotron being installed this season, was ordered last season.