The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Official THANK YOU CANES thread

Thanks are in order for a lot of people, and I know I'll forget some, but here goes anyway...

...to all the Caniacs. You local guys are great and make an out of towner like me more at ease knowing that you've got the crowd noise covered.

...to Coach Mo, Coach Rowe, Coach Francis, and Coach Mac. You guys took over when the team was in turmoil, and you righted the ship. Never would've guessed we'd land in the Eastern Conference Finals. That's a testament to you guys.

...to Eric Staal. You're the future, man, and this is your team now. You took everyone's best shot this year and just kept fighting on. Your performances in Games 6 and 7 of the Jersey series are things of legend, and the goal on Brodeur... that's as clutch as it gets. That's twice now you've broken his heart late in playoff regulation. Oh, and the hat trick in Atlanta - I still need a new visor.

...to Sergei Samsonov. You can sure dazzle with the puck, and it was great to see the intensity pick up in the playoffs. The Bruins were terrified of you.

...to Tim Conboy. Never lose that fight within you. That's what the Caniacs thrive on.

...to Anton Babchuk. Yeah, the playoffs weren't your finest hour. But you were one of the catalysts in getting our team into the playoffs, and the OT goal against the Pens to clinch the playoff spot was outstanding. Keep improving and everything will be fine.

...to Patrick Eaves. I think you were hampered by a bunch of bad luck this year. Once you got the ball rolling, the two way game was much needed and bolstered our depth. You deserved a few more goals this season.

...to Matt Cullen. Many a night, you were the best player on the ice - for either team. Your playmaking abilities are underrated league-wide. We're lucky to have you in Raleigh playing for our team. Your pass to Whitney in San Jose is as pretty a hockey play as I've ever seen.

...to Dennis Seidenberg. It has been a pleasure watching you develop into a legit top 4 D-man in this league. You can D up, you can shoot it from the point, and you can get physical with the best of them. I don't know if the organization has the money to keep you around, because you've earned a pay raise. If this is the end of your time here, it's been great.

...to Dwyer, Ryan, Helminen, Carson, and the rest of the Rats. We always appreciate the all out efforts you guys bring when you get the call up. You guys are unsung heroes.

...to Brandon Sutter. We got a mere glimpse of your talents early this season. It will be a joy seeing you bring those back to the Canes next season.

...to Scotty Walker. Where do I start? You look up "hockey player" in the dictionary and there should be a picture of you. There are guys who are faster, quicker, more instinctive, bigger, younger, stronger... all that stuff. Nobody has more heart than you. You're the ultimate teammate and that goal in Boston will last forever. Thoughts and prayers to you, your wife, and the family.

...to Frank Kaberle. It was a rough season and your playing time got diminished. You never fussed. You never whined. And when the team needed you in the playoffs, you fit right back into the puzzle as if you'd never left. That takes character.

...to Michael Leighton. You're a fine goaltender. Because you're playing second banana here doesn't take anything away from that. Some guys sulk or pout. You've been nothing but positive the whole time, and given Cam's workload the ed of this season, we're gonna need you more next season. The San Jose performance was outstanding and you got hosed by those boards in Jersey. Everyone knows that.

...to Joe Corvo. The goal against Florida... unbelievable. The blasts from the blue line... music to the Canes fan's ears.

...to Erik Cole. Always good to see a friendly face back with the team again. We worry about your health all the time, but if you can go, you have a home here.

...to Ryan Bayda. Your playoff beard was one of the best parts of the run - never would've guessed you'd be the one challenging Cole for the best on the team. Your grit, heart, and determination has earned you your spot on this team. Keep grinding - the points will come.

...to Niclas Wallin. WOTE FOR WALLIN! You'll always be the Secret Weapon. Every organization needs class guys, and while there's a lot of competition, you're among the classiest of our bunch.

...to Tuomo Ruutu. The physical presence you've brought to our team since last season has been much-needed. You only know one speed and that's what the Caniacs love about you. We want to see you back here next year.

...to Jussi Jokinen. THE JUUUUUUUUUICE! Every now and then, a guy comes along who's a grinder, a role player, someone off the map in the regular season who magically turns it on in the biggest moments. No idea how you did it, but the goals this postseason will never be forgotten. Every time you were a star of the game, you skated out and applauded us. You earned those ovations.

...to Joni Pitkanen. Deep down inside you, there is a Norris Trophy. I know this. So many times this year we'd pull our hair out, wondering aloud "What is he doing?" only to say, "Oh, that's what he's doing." Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but it's always fun watching you skate. The pass to Jussi in Jersey was a thing of beauty. You got loads of talent and one of these days it's all gonna mesh together just right. I hope that day's with us.

...to Chad LaRose. Your picture should be alongside Scotty's next to "hockey player." Nobody in the league does more with less. It's always a thrill seeing a guy come through your system and flourish. From the Blades thru Lowell to a fourth line grinder to a feisty ball of energy who gets under every opponent's skin... only because they wished they worked as hard as you. It was great seeing our little Chad grow up this year and start finding the back of the net consistently. We need you back next year.

...to Ray Whitney. You're my daughter's favorite player and probably mine, too. You have a way with the puck that's just incredible. One of the best passers in the league. And while you've played with seemingly all 30 teams in the league, you're still getting it done. And I'm glad it's for us.

...to Tim Gleason. Great locker room guy, tough as nails, and you're developing into not just a fine stay home defenseman, but a team leader. Hope to see that progression continue with us in the coming years.

...to Cam Ward. What can you say? You answered all the questions this year. You're raised the bar and have made the jump into the elite netminders in the league. Sometimes, we don't give you enough help, and I think the guys would agree with me. But we'll do better for you next season. You deserve it. (Along with an Olympic nod, as well.)

...and to Rod Brind'Amour. We all know this season was tough for you. With everything you've done for the organization, you've earned the right to go out on your terms. If this is the end, thank you so much for everything. The 2006 run (and the Game 5 power play crossbar ringer against Buffalo) was all you; the team followed your lead to the Cup. You took the ball from Ronnie and ran with it. And if this is as far as you could run, we are so appreciative. But if you think you've got one last run, let's see if we can win that Cup one more time next year.

Thank you TarHeel Mike. You took the time to say everything I wanted to say and said it better. I am one Proud Caniac who's glad the long summer won't be as long as last year. Love you Canes! Thanks for a great season.

Just want to chime in an say "Thanks!"

*to the Carolina Hurricanes staff, the front office, administrative folks, promotions, Kids N Community, the coaches, players and support staff, the Black Aces, the River Rats, and the folks who covered the games and gave us much insight to the every day happenings.

*to FSC and Versus for your coverage of the team we love so dear.

*Thank to the folks at The Fan- the coverage of hockey before, during and after games along with the playoff coverage and talk during your daytime shows- it has been wonderful!

*Thanks also to the other stations covering the Canes.

Keep it up for many seasons to come.

*Thanks also to the folks in the Carolina Hurricanes Booster Club for being great hockey fans and for all that is done in the community.

*Thanks to the Caniacs all around our great team.

Let's bring our fanaticism back next season and cheer for our team!

...to Scotty Walker. Where do I start? You look up "hockey player" in the dictionary and there should be a picture of you. There are guys who are faster, quicker, more instinctive, bigger, younger, stronger... all that stuff. Nobody has more heart than you. You're the ultimate teammate and that goal in Boston will last forever. Thoughts and prayers to you, your wife, and the family.

Mike, I agree with your post, but what you said about Scotty Walker needs to be said time and time again.

To all of the Hurricanes organization, from Mr. Karmanos to the people who man the booths at the games, I say thank you for a Fantastic Voyage.

Fantastic voyage for sure...

Thanks for all the spectacular regular season and playoff memories already mentioned above...you have had an unbelievable season and should be extremely proud!

Thanks also for inspiring me to go from a an occasional observer of hockey to someone who convinced her husband to get Center Ice and whose sole Christmas/birthday presents this season are Hurricanes U/playoff tickets...

Thanks also for being community role models and so gracious with the kids at signing autographs, etc. You have no idea how important it is for our kids to see professional athletes this way!

Already looking forward to next year. Go Canes!!!!

Fantastic voyage for sure...

Thanks for all the spectacular regular season and playoff memories already mentioned above...you have had an unbelievable season and should be extremely proud!

Thanks also for inspiring me to go from a an occasional observer of hockey to someone who convinced her husband to get Center Ice and whose sole Christmas/birthday presents this season are Hurricanes U/playoff tickets...

Thanks also for being community role models and so gracious with the kids at signing autographs, etc. You have no idea how important it is for our kids to see professional athletes this way!

Already looking forward to next year. Go Canes!!!!

It was a great year and a great run. Enjoy the off season you have earned it.

Can't wait until next year. GO CANES!

It was a great year and a great run. Enjoy the off season you have earned it.

Can't wait until next year. GO CANES!

Thank you for winning Two game 7s on the road

and most of all Thank you for winning in Boston with me to see it live in overtime. Best game I ever saw

live for the drama and what it meant to the Canes.

Thanks guys. Caniac forever, no matter how rough the times are. Truly exceeded expectations, and proved the haters/"expert analysts" wrong. Let's go all the way next time.

GO CANES

Go Canes!

Thanks so much for a thrilling ride from playoff maybe to the ECF. There were so many late season pleasant surprises that then carried through the Playoffs. THANKS!

The community of fans and players is really something valuable here, from player accessability, to the airport ritual, to tailgating. Can't wait for JR to shape next season and see it all unfold....

Thank you to those who stepped on the ice wearing the Red, White, and Black, for the memories and heart-pounding moments that helped take my mind off of personal issues.

Thank you Coaches for believing in the guys and just being classy people.

Thank you Pete K for giving the Carolina's a pro NHL club that UNC, Duke, WF, and NCSU fans can get behind.

Thank you JR for putting this team together.

Let's do it again next year :)

Thank you Canes for an amazing ride! We went to the final game, came down from CT for it, and despite the loss, we still had a great time.

Back in December/January, it looked like another season without playoffs, then the turnaround, and a simply amazing playoff run! I will never forget those two game7's especially!

Also a special thanks to Erik Cole, Rod Brind'Amour, and Patrick Eaves for stopping to sign autographs after the game as well.

After a tough series loss, no one would have minded if none of the players stopped, but these guys did anyway.

Looking forward to next season. Staal and Ward both proved what they can do, and the supporting cast is getting better.

Here's to an AWESOME 2009-10 season!

-Gregg

Thank you Canes and mostly JR. You once again proved to everybody why you are one of the top GM's in the NHL. From first making the tough trade for Joni Pitkanen and giving Anton Babchuk a second chance. Then re-signing Eric Staal to that long term deal so we can see #12 in red for years to come. Then during the regular season with making the right call-ups and making the decision to fire Peter Laviolette and make the gutsy decision to re-hire Paul Maurice. Thank you for making that trade for "The Juice" Jussi Jokinen for practically nobody and then almost giving most Canes fans a mental breakdown for bringing back Erik Cole, but every move that JR made this year was right for our organization. Even though some didn't think would put the team in the right direction, but you knew what this team needed and you did it. THANK YOU JIM RUTHERFORD!!

I just want to add that behind our great goaltender, Cam Ward, is a man who has been there and done that who is mentoring and coaching Cam to reach his great potential. A well deserved thank you to Mr. Tom Barrasso!

Thank you Chuck Kaiton....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, this too.

"And my voice is suddenly back!" Just awesome. But the call of Walker's OT winner gives me more chills than maybe any other radio call I've ever heard. I can type it from memory:

"...Over the line to Whitney. He's in, he shoots! Right on. Big save Thomas, THEY SCORE ON A REBOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUND!"

Thank You Canes for making this season something to remember. When no one gave you guys a chance against the Devils or Bruins, you all proved them wrong but your beloved Caniacs believed in you.

Can't wait til next season starts. Let's make that run to the Stanley Cup.