The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

How did YOU contribute to the bad karma?

I only wore my Ruutu shirt to school after we won the series, but after Game 7 of the Boston series, we had the state track meet and we were leaving only one class into the day. I decided to wear my Ruutu shirt on Monday for the first game of the Pittsburgh series. I always wear whatever shirt I wore that day to school or went to practice in to watch the game but by that time track was over so I wore my Ruutu shirt to watch the game. I never wear Canes things during the games except when I am going to the games. Ruutu then proceeded to injure himself in the first period and we lost the next four games. My bad.

The day before the ECF started we had a Moderate Earthquake (4.7) here in Southern California and my Signed Rod Brindamour Lithiograph that I won from this website during the 05-06 season fell off the wall and shattered. I knew that couldn't be a good sign.

My bad. I was in Las Vegas for Game 1 of ECF and got greedy. I bet some of my "Ice your price, Pay as you Play" savings on the Canes to win ECF and SCF thinking my "savings" would then pay for all my playoff tickets.

Looks like I cost us the series, and myself a few "saved" $$$.

There was one funny part to this. Since I was relegated to watching on a TV in a Las Vegas bar (not in the Sports Book), my enthusiasm for the Canes made me look like a common degenerate gambler to the average Vegas spectator, rather than a "normal" Canes fan. You know, the usual "Shoot the puck! or C'mon hit somebody!" They had no clue about how passionate an average Canes fan looks, where the $$$ never mattered.

I feel responsible for our bad karma. I'll finally air out my dirty secret.

I won the Brett Hedican Jersey at the end of the 07-08 season. Just incase some people forgot that is the game against the panthers that if we won we would have been in the playoffs.. So the jersey already had bad vibes.

Of ONLY the 6 regular season games I went to and wore the jersey, the only win was the shootout against Buffalo. And this is where the story turns worse.

I got a ticket from a friend at the last minute for game 6 against the Bruins. I wore the jersey. It was a bad idea. I feel like *edit* about it but man that jersey feels and looks good.

And we all know our record in the playoffs after that.

Oh I did so many things wrong this series it's not even funny. I got overly confident after the Boston series, so I let my superstitions slack a little. But I am pretty sure I can pin it on one thing. During the Boston series I picked up a book to read (Open Net-hysterically funny) that had a Bruins connection. We proceeded to lose games 5 and 6 after I touched it, but I touched it accidently before game 7 and we won so I figured it was just coincidence. I was wrong. Prior to game 1 of the ECF, I picked up a different book (yes I know I read a lot) that had a picture of Mark Recchi lifting the Cup in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately I didn't immediately make the connection and we lost games 1 and 2 before I fixed it. So I am sorry fellow Caniacs.

Okay so I didn't do anything major except get really confident about our chances against the Pens, ignoring the fact that Boston dominated us for 2 of the last 3 games and played us dead even in Game 7..........that may have done me in.......

My other playoff superstitions continued though....but to no avail.....I'll list them though:

1) I wore my red Canes jersey, a pair of cargo shorts, an '02 SE Champs shirt (horribly small on me by now) and a certain semi-broken belt to every game I went to in '06. After I wore some jeans and black jersey to Game 3 against the Devils I changed it back to what I wore in '06 and we didn't lose at home again until Game 6 versus the B's. Also I switched back to that broken belt because at that Game 3 loss to the Devils my new belt broke when I stood up towards the end of the game (note that I'm not fat at all so I took this as a sign) ;) I didn't go to that Game 6 so I let this go until after Game 3 to the Pens where I changed back to the black jersey....and that didn't help.....

2) At every game I went to after the Game 3 of the NJ series I bought a bottle of water and nachos. At every stop in play I would take a small sip from the bottle of water. After the Game 3 loss versus Pitt I didn't do this and we still lost.

3) On every game day, and day before game day I cannot wear a Hurricanes shirt. Whenever I did during the last few seasons they lost.....wearing a Staal shirt to school on the day of Game 4 didn't help.

4) I play 3 short games of NHL '08 on the 360 before each home game....that too did nothing to stop Crosby and Malkin. ;)

I started to feel positive about our chances to make it to the Cup Finals!!!! :blink::blink:

Should have stuck to my DOOM AND GLOOM ATITUDE!!!! ;):rolleyes::unsure::blink:

Well, it was nice while it lasted....! :P

If game days are on Thursdays and I'm going to the barn, my DAD has to take me and I have to ride in the big, outdoor arena and I have to ride a horse named Dallas.

What happened last Thursday on the day of Game 2? I rode in the field on Dollar.

I'm sorry.

Didn't wear the lucky thong.

Smiling Bob says hello.

That physically made me laugh. I needed that. ;) Thanks.

I cut my hair and shaved my beard during our game 6 loss to BOS. I thought, "If we're only losing by a goal, and I shave/cut hair, then MAYBE we can score a goal".... That and I lost my Canes stuff (my Brindamour shirt from the Cup in 06) and my Hurricanes "guitar pin" I wear on my hats/shirts. I miss those things. :(

In 2005 I threw a penny into a wishing well at the Hershey Factory in Niagara Falls Canada. I wished for the Canes to win the Cup......and of course they did. This past summer I made that same trip in hopes to get our team back into the playoffs. I wished for the exact same thing and needless to say I didnt say anything to anyone about it.

THIS IS THE KICKER THAT WILL HAUNT ME ALL SUMMER!!!!!!

When the Hurricanes were up on Boston three games to one, I was feeling cocky and confident........I told my wife what I did and she said WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME??????? Your team is now screwed. She was right, Carolina lost six of the next seven games. MY BAD

Sorry guys

I kept drinking Yuengling after we were matched up against the Pens(I had one order of wings at the start of the ECF in 2006, and it went to 7 games).

Thats ok, Yuengling is more popular in Philly as it is brewed in Eastern PA. Pittsburghers stick to that Iron City *edit*.

I shaved playoff beard after Game 7 vs NJ. I decided that one win or lose. It was uncomfortable.

I didn't go to the Nutty Bavarian before Game 3 vs NJ and I take full blame for the loss.

I sold my tickets for Game 3 vs Pittsburgh because of a booked vacation at Myrtle Beach. I figured if the Canes were still playing I would be happy to miss the game.

All that said, I knew we were doomed when Satan scored the first goal of the ECF. You can't overcome that.

I switched to Natural Light from Michelob Light and talked too much smack to a co-worker from Boston. I screwed the whole pregame routine up for round 3. I promise to drink 6 Mich. Lites before each game next season. Somebody please pass me a bullet......

The day before the ECF started we had a Moderate Earthquake (4.7) here in Southern California and my Signed Rod Brindamour Lithiograph that I won from this website during the 05-06 season fell off the wall and shattered. I knew that couldn't be a good sign.

THAT...is what did it. Gotta be...bad karma slam from the west coast.

All that said, I knew we were doomed when Satan scored the first goal of the ECF. You can't overcome that.

hahaha, that is frickin funny, you totally made my day!

:P