The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Who made the biggest impression in the 2009 playoffs for the Canes?

1) Cam Ward

2) Chad LaRose

3) Jussi Jokinen

4) Chad LaRose (EDIT: by this I mean, he played so well that he won't be resigned)

5) Tuomo Ruutu

6) Erik Cole is by far the biggest disappointment

OK, I'll give my $.02...

Playoffs MVP? (From all series combined) - Cam Ward. No way we get to ECF without him. Yes, he became human - and injured - in the EC championship series, but still, no way we get this far without him.

Unsung Hero? (Who really stepped up and got very little credit) - Probably will get blasted for this one, but for me: Patrick Eaves. He was all over the ice, he played his heart out every shift, and got virtually no notice, no credit (except for his goal in Game 2) and no respect from a lot of the fan base.

Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one) um. yeah... really? Do I have to say? Chad ... LaROSE!!! Of course, when he is starting out at $750K it would be hard for him NOT to get "the big pay raise" after the season he had! :P

Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one) Probably Cole. Unless he takes a (big) hometown discount. Toss up between him and Babchuk.

The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign?(pick one only) Picking one is hard. But since I have to choose, I'll say LaRose. His energy and drive are just too much a part of this team's identity. We learned when we let Cullen go after '06 that the intangibles are sometimes the key to success.

Biggest disappointment? - Probably would have to say Cole. I think he played hard and brought a lot to the team. But I guess I expected more ...

MVP - No one showed up in the final series, so I'll go with Cam Ward

Unsung Hero - Scott Walker, the man is a beast. I know I can only pick one but Patrick Eaves has to get credit here also. Did everything that was asked of him and played his heart out.

Big Pay Raise - Give it up JR, Rosey is the man!

Played His Way Out of a Contract - See ya later Cole

Top Priority - Ruutu

Edit (forgot biggest dissapointment) = Ray Whitney started out strong but he couldn't handle the minutes in the end. Expected more out of Ray.

1) Cam Ward...that's just a given in my mind

2) Chad LaRose (closely followed by Scott Walker)

3) Chad LaRose...who else would you pick?

4) Anton Babchuk (closely followed by Erik Cole)

5) Chad LaRose

6) Anton Babchuk couldn't get his shot going and was a defensive liability all night long.

1) Playoffs MVP? Jussi

2) Unsung Hero? Larose

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Ruutu

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Cole, we can...do alot better then the money he's going to want. Babchuk we can sign for a year and see if it was a fluke or not or if hes actually got the goods. Cole will want a long contract and prolly want money based on past experience which we wont give but other teams will so I dont see a lower pay happening.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Ruutu

6) Biggest disappointment? (pick one only) Babchuk

1) Playoffs MVP? Jussi Jokinen

2) Unsung Hero? Walker

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Ruutu

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Seids?

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Cole (mainly longer contract not so much money)

6) Biggest disappointment? Whitney/Brindy

there were 6 questions.

His/her post came in before I edited in the last question, see post #6 and notice all the edits in the posts above it.

1) Playoffs MVP? (From all series combined)

2) Unsung Hero? (Who really stepped up and got very little credit)

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one)

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? (pick one only)

6) Biggest disappointment? (pick one only)

1. cam ward

2. Jussi jokinen- by Far he stepped up when others shrunk

3. chadtastic

4. eric cole

5. jay bowmesiter.. oh you want a cane.. Jussi

6. ray whitney

1) Up until the last 4 games, Cam ( that softball goal last night was a groaner )...Overall Jussi

2) Walker...just because a lot of folks talked a lot about Jussi and LaRose

3) LaRose

4) Cole because of his playoff non-play

5) Jussi...just because I think LaRose and Ruu will be automatic

6) Cole...because everyone knows Brindy is at the end of his career

my humble .02

I didn't read anyone else's answers before replying...

* Cam Ward. He out dueled Brodeur in the Jersey series, and at one point the only way you could score on him was via deflections. He was out front in the Boston series and when we needed big saves in Game Seven, he was Johnny on the spot. And he was the only reason the Pens didn't put double digits on the board in a couple of the ECF games. There were games to be stolen against Pittsburgh, and he was the reason why.

* Sergei Samsonov. He was a part of a BUNCH of solid shifts this postseason, potted a couple of goals, and was all over the ice against Boston and had the B's fans scared to death of him.

* Ryan Bayda. The flu derailed him a little bit, but he was hitting guys, scoring goals, and cycling the puck so well.

* Matt Cullen. Seriously, there isn't a player probably since the lockout that got robbed of more goals in one postseason than Cullen was this one. Thomas and MAF probably combined to take 20 goals away from Cullen with MARVELOUS saves.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one)

* Chad LaRose. Yeah, we should all agree on this one.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

Edit: This question obviously confused me. I shall modify.

(Played his way out because we can't afford him and doesn't mesh with our offseason needs)

* Dennis Seidenberg. Top 4 defenseman aren't cheap, and Iceberg's performance (last night's goof not withstanding) this postseason was legit. He can D up, he can hit, and he can shoot the puck from the back end. We're not gonna be able to afford him - he's gonna command a nice raise, and he's earned it. If he can't hammer out a deal with us and gets that cash elsewhere, good for him.

(Played his way out of a contract due to lackluster postseason)

* Erik Cole. See #6 below.

* LaRose, only because Ruutu's an injury risk. You gotta think both guys put up career numbers partially due to contract years, but LaRose isn't the kind of player who could possibly slow down, because if he does, he's out of the league. His grit, effort, and determination are what got him here. Ruutu's big enough and talented enough that he could conceivably put it on cruise once he gets the contract. Not that I think he would, because a guy that likes to get as physical as Ruutu does doesn't have that ingrained within. I don't think anyway.

* Erik Cole. I think the wear and tear has gotten to him and it's unfortunate, because when healthy, he's an outstanding skater and scorer. But outside of one game where he got Chara off his game, #26 was non-existent.

Jussi Jokinen

Matt Cullen. Played his heart out every shift with little to no credit.

Chad LaRose

Dennis Seidenberg

Tuomo Ruutu

Ray Whitney ... perhaps he's injured? I don't want to start a rumor but during the regular season he was my MVP and very consistent yet wasn't as effective in the playoffs.

1) Playoffs MVP? Three stars are LaRose (showed up in all three series), Ward, Jokinen

2) Unsung Hero? (Who really stepped up and got very little credit) assuming this is for the playoffs...Samsonov quietly had a good run...very few mistakes, +2 rating, 2nd in shot percentage, and 5 goals (LaRose and Jokinen got much deserved credit for their heroics)...over the whole season, I'd go with Whitney or Cullen

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? LaRose is obvious considering he's at 875k now...I just hope PK is writing the checks

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Babchuk...I just think he's too much of a head case. We can do better. Gotta see him as prime material for the KHL. Probably Cole. Probably Seids. Possibly LaRose. I hope I'm wrong about the last three.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? (pick one only) Jokinen...you can't underestimate the value of versatility. I'd like to say LaRose or Cole here...just not sure we can find the room. EDIT: forgot Jussi was an RFA...they are much easier to sign, which is why I didn't list Ruutu...guess I will go with LaRose. Find a way JR! The most important signing may be another FA to replace Cole if we don't keep him.

6) Biggest disappointment? (pick one only) Gotta go with Brind'Amour, it looked like he was back and would be big in the playoffs, but ended up on fourth line with 4 pts and a -5. Have to mention Staal here too...he needs to start playing every game like he did last night.

1) Ward

2) LaRose

3) LaRose

4) Cole

5) A scoring winger currently not on the roster

6) Cole (0 goals while spending the majority of the time on one of the top 2 lines, and playing on the PP is unacceptable)

1) Playoffs MVP? (Pick one from all series combined)

Jussi Jokinen - enough said

2) Unsung Hero? (Pick one who really stepped up and got very little credit)

Ruutu - until he got hurt

Rosie

Cole - not worth the money, Staal needs to learn how to bring it even with out his bunk mate.

Jussi Jokinen - unlike Rosie he does not have any personal connections to this area.

Staal - why did he wait until last night to play like a man possesed?

The original questions from post #1 for those too lazy to click their "back page" button :):

1) Playoffs MVP? (Pick one from all series combined)

2) Unsung Hero? (Pick one who really stepped up and got very little credit)

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

1) Playoffs MVP? Cam Ward

2) Unsung Hero? Chad LaRose

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Chad LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Anton Babchuk

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Chad LaRose

6) Biggest disappointment? Rod Brind'Amour

Playoffs MVP? Cam Ward

2) Unsung Hero? Chad LaRose

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Chad LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Anton Babchuk

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Chad LaRose followed by Ruutu

6) Biggest disappointment Ray Whitney

1) Playoffs MVP - Cam proves to all world his class. Great young goaltender and Hurrcanes without him is nothing.

2) Unsung Hero - Larose, then Walker, Bayda and Eaves. Great effort from this guy in every game.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year - Larose, maybe, but it will be mistake.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract - Corvo. Nothing special. Cole too. Erik Cole is important player for Canes cause he's a fan favourite and great room guy but he's nothing impressed hockey player.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign - To be honest, no one. Maybe Larose, but Chad is not top 6 guy.

6) Biggest disappointment - Corvo and Brindy. I hate to say but it's true.