The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Who made the biggest impression in the 2009 playoffs for the Canes?

the guys who made the biggest impression on me are

1)MVP- Cam Ward- He has shown what a superstar goalie he can be- I hope people see this now and we don't see the supid "Ward is average at best" posts anymore <_<

2) Biggest Pay Raise- Chad LaRose- We better keep him! He is the most gritty player we have! Never gives up!

3) Top Priority- Tuomo Ruutu- Just have to love him, he hits everything that moves. I often think he is like a bull that sees red LOL. But seriously, a great guy and gives it his all when he plays.

4) Unsung Hero-Jussie Jokinen- has just exploded since he became a Hurricane, I hope we keep him for years to come.

biggest dissappointment's were

Cole, Brind'Amour, Staal.

And I think that Babs probably played himself out of a contract. He seemed to get that deer in headlights look when it came to the playoffs.

) Playoffs MVP? Cam Ward

2) Unsung Hero? Chad LaRose

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Chad LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Eric Cole

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Chad LaRose

6) Biggest disappointment? Eric Staal

1) Playoffs MVP? Ward - stole the New Jersey series for us.

2) Unsung Hero? Pitkanan - probably everyone here will disagree with me on this one because people think he should be more physical, he takes too many chances etc. etc., but he was by far the most effective defenseman in getting the puck out of our zone cleanly to start a rush. He has great vision and makes tape to tape passes night in and night out.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? LaRose - no-brainer. Should easily double his salary next year.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) Cole - or at least played his way out of a good contract.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Babchuk - another one that probably everyone here will disagree with me on. If he gets his head screwed on straight though, this kid is a diamond in the rough. Ruutu and Jokinen will be easier to sign I hope. If they get offer sheets we can't match, at least we'll get a second rnd. pick for them. Signing all of our RFA's is doable though.

6) Biggest disappointment? Brindamour - please retire already. Seriously. Give him a cushy player development or conditioning job or something. Every time he's on the ice it is like a 5 on 4 1/2.

1) Playoffs MVP?

Wardo.

2) Unsung Hero?

LaRose, Jokinen.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year?

LaRose/Ruutu/Jokinen. Chad will get the biggest jump I'm assuming.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract?

Babchuk. Sure, he ripped it up late in the season, but you can throw those stats out the window when it matters the most. Every team easily adjusted to this, saw it coming, and shut it down. I don't know who's worse defensively... him or Pitkanen.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign?

LaRose. No contest here.

6) Biggest disappointment?

Erik Cole. I'm also going to go with Pitkanen. Sure, I don't expect him to be make great defensive plays, but honestly, this guy drove me nuts. Aside from setting up Jokinen in game 7, nothing great comes to mind.

1) Playoffs MVP? Joni Pitkanen, he played big for us almost every night even with the large amount of minutes he got. Plus we don't get out of the first round without him... or Jokinen.

2) Unsung Hero? Samsonov, the guy had 8 pts in 17 games, and was one of a few games with a positive +/-

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Easily LaRose, Rutherford said himself he deserves it and will get one

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? This is hard to say, I don't think anyone has played themselves OUT of a contract but if someone like Babchuk demands a lot of money after the way he played he will have played himself out of one. I think we resign him if he doesnt ask for an unreasonable amount though.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? LaRose

6) Biggest disappointment? Cole, no goals and only 5 assists didn't help us much.

I heard on NHL.com that Maurice said Whitney was playing with a broken finger since before the all-star break, and he had multiple operations on it and still didnt miss a game. And he was still our team's leading scorer in the reg season, and tied for 2nd most pts in the playoffs.

2) Unsung Hero? Pitkanan - probably everyone here will disagree with me on this one because people think he should be more physical, he takes too many chances etc. etc., but he was by far the most effective defenseman in getting the puck out of our zone cleanly to start a rush. He has great vision and makes tape to tape passes night in and night out.

Dang it, MarkyMark. I was reading through all the posts before putting up mine because I was sure that no one would think to put Pikanan!! That guy has takes quite a bashing from many fans for what he delivered to the team this season and in the post season. To me, he has shown why JR sought him and has been a terrific team addition. He can play in all phases of the game and, surprisingly, has been a reasonably responsible defensemen too. In the playoffs, he

1) Playoffs MVP? Ward - 'nuff said.

2) Unsung Hero? Samsonov - He had some timely (and pretty at the same time) goals

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Rosey, hands down

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Erik Cole, but I don't know that he played his way OUT of a contract, but he certainly will not be paid like he used to, regardless if he stays here or goes elsewhere.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Rosey

6) Biggest disappointment? Regular season: Eaves. Playoffs: Cole and Babchuk, though Babs is still young so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

1) Playoffs MVP? (Pick one from all series combined)

Ward

2) Unsung Hero? (Pick one who really stepped up and got very little credit)

Samsonov

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one)

LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

LaRose

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? (pick one only)

Ruutu (he's a year younger than LaRose and will have more long-term upside IMO)

6) Biggest disappointment? (pick one only)

Cole. Obvious. How does a purported top 6 forward not score a single goal?

1) Playoffs MVP? Ward

2) Unsung Hero? Samsonov

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) Babchuk

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Jokinen

6) Biggest disappointment? Whitney

1) Playoffs MVP? Ward

2) Unsung Hero? Samsonov

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) Babchuk

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Jokinen

6) Biggest disappointment? Whitney

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one)

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

MVP= Easy one here, we go no place with out wardo.

Unsung Hero= i think everyone loves rosie, but i gotta go with jokanen, he came outa no where!!!

pay raise= rosie all the way to the bank!!!

no contract= cole with out a doubt or if he does resign it should be bargin basement say about $800,000 per year and a short contract.

top priority= ruutuu with out a doubt.

biggest disapointment= erik cole, other than some big hits was basically a non-factor despite being on the top lines.

1. Ward.

2. Samsonov, the man had a 5 goal series against Boston.

3. LaRose

4. Tough one....maybe LaRose if he wants more than JR can give, wouldn't surprise me. (not saying LaRose is greedy).

5. LaRose

6. Cole, he had some good games, but couldn't get a goal in 18 games.

1. Cam Ward

2. Sergei Samsonov/Joni Pitkanen

3. Chad LaRose

4. Erik Cole...Seids...can't decide (as in played bad enough to lose a chance at one) Played well enough to outcost....LaRose

5. Tuomo Ruutu

6. Brind'Amour.....Erik Cole....can't decide there either

1) Playoffs MVP? Jussi

2) Unsung Hero? Chad LaRose

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Chad LaRose

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one) I hate to say it...but Cole

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? (pick one only) Rosey Ruutu and Jokinen I couldn't pick one

6) Biggest disappointment? COle

I didn't jump right out there and respond yesterday. I thought about it a little and I think my answers are a little different as a result.

1) Playoffs MVP? (Pick one from all series combined) Cam with Jussi a close second. Staal played well at times but I guess we all expect more (maybe unfairly).

2) Unsung Hero? (Pick one who really stepped up and got very little credit)Eaves never gets credit but is a hustler. Played well even though it didn't show on the stats a lot. Cullen made a good showing too.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? (I have a feeling we'll all agree on this one)Rosie rocks. JR is kicking himself for not locking this guy up last summer

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)For me Seids. Seids has earned a raise this season but with guys in the system and our defensive needs, I don't think he distinguished himself in the playoffs to get that contract here as an UFA. I'm not sure Cole was a slam dunk to be resigned anyway.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? (pick one only)Ruutu (oops-forgot Ruu was a RFA so I guess LaRose would be since he is UFA)

6) Biggest disappointment? (pick one only)Babchuk. I know that's a different one, but he was an offensive threat the last half of the season and was doing better defensively. In the playoffs, he regressed. While others may not have played up to what we thought their potential was, Babs took a step back.

The original questions from post #1 for those too lazy to click their "back page" button :):

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

1. Jussi, had to modify RBCC national anthem singing for him!

2. Gleason, minus the let me clear it into Malkin's legs play. He was consistent in rounds 1 and 2 and consistently contributed to the difficulty for the Devs and B's to score. Absolutely loved his fight with Clarkson in round 1!

3. Rosey

4. Cole

5. UFA - Rosey; RFA - Ruu

6. Corvo - just did very little and at times looked as though he did not want the puck on his stick. Cole and Brindy their drop offs did not surprise me as much and I thought Brindy was a factor in the B's series.

1) Playoffs MVP? Not even close: Jokinen.

Seidenberg. Everyone here knows I'm partial to him, but in answering the specific question, unsung hero who got very little credit in the playoffs, all you need to look at is his play in the Boston and Jersey series. His total defensive game - blocked shots, "staying home," and pinching at the right times - was head and shoulders above anyone else on the D-Corps. Unfortunately, I have to agree that we may not have the $$ to keep him here as a UFA. He's shown he's still developing and should have many good years ahead of him.

Yup. Chad.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? (for good or bad reasons) (I have a feeling we'll all disagree on this one)

Cole and "YouCan'tSendMeDown-chuk" Wanna bet, Babs?

Ruutu

For me it's not Babs. I said (to the chagin of many) that bringing him back was a mistake, so I had nothing to be disappointed about. Same for Cole. Eaves is an easy target, but he is one of those guys who, if you watch him, "does the little things" a phrase many peopleuse but few really understand.

For me it's between Staal and Roddy. I was surprised when Roddy came back this year and really hoped the playoffs would kick him into another gear. Now it's clear that that gear is (1) not there anymore, or (2) not there for him in Carolina.

As for Staal, I know I've made some enemies here with my comments about him through the year, but offer no apologies. I'm not willing to coronate him just because management has decided that he is our future. My long time as a Flyers fan taught me that in hockey more than any other game "the future" is often not the guy you "know" it will be (Eric Lindros) and to expect the unexpected. Jussi sure showed us the truth in that! Staalsy has to show me a the ability to be the game changer everyone in the organization is saying he can be, and he has to show that ability night in and night out. I think next year is going to tell the Eric Staal story, and I truly hope he succeeds.

So, since I have to pick just one, it's Roddy. And that's tough to say.

Has to be Cam I guess by default. Was great in the first two series in the 8 wins. Same can be said for Staal. In the games the Canes won, he was great. In the others, not so much.

Joni Pitkanen. His skating is outstanding. One on one he shuts down everyone. You can't skate around him. I don't remember seeing him passing the puck to the other team in our zone. And when he skates it up the ice, he looks like a left winger rather than a d-man. He even played with a bit of an edge in the playoffs.

Larose will get it. Skate hard to the net, look for rebounds, tap them in. I don't understand how all NHL players haven't figured out how to do this. Imagine if he had a wrist shot, slap shot, size, or could stick handle.

Seidenberg. When the guy is good, he's very good. When he's bad, he's very bad. He was bad too much to warrant rewarding him for when he was being good.

Ugh. Cole? We need the physical dimension. I know Ruutuu hits as much as Cole, but I don't think he is nearly as physical otherwise. That's our biggest hole, so I guess its got to be Cole.

Babchuck. Although its not all his fault. He came on so strong at the end of the season, that the expectations went through the roof. Then he settled back to his normal play, and seemed to be feeling the pressure a bit.

Ray Whitney's disappearing act probably is close. He must be hurt, because I've never seen him so unnoticeable.

Jussi - Had the national anthem modified for him, must have done something.

Larose - 200% every game as always.

Larose - Again, based on regular season output and 200% every game.

Cole heading into the playoffs I was thinking this was a sure thing, he was invisable most of the playoffs with the exception of a few games.

Ruutu no question should be a top priority.

Sadly Cole, hoping he would step up in the playoffs, especially when players like Staal were being shutdown, and he wasn't even noticeable most of the time.

1. Playoff MVP - Ward. Only reason we got past Round 1, and a main reason why we got past Round 2.

2. Unsung Hero - Well, this is a tougher one. There are a couple players that stepped up their game, but most received recognition for their accomplishments. LaRose, Jokinen, Ward, etc. All received recognition for their play and rightly so. I think Samsonov's got to be the answer here, since his play against Boston was definitely one worth mentioning.

3. Most likely to get the pay raise - LaRose. No doubt.

4. Played his way out of a contract - Babchuk, for his regular season play. You've got a young defenseman that's scored 16 goals. He's not defensively polished, but neither was Souray when he really stepped into his own. We'll offer him the qualifying offer, but some other GM with see those 16 goals and make a better one.

5. Priority to re-sign - Ruutu

6. Biggest Disappointment - Another tough one. There were a lot of players that just didn't perform up to their expectations, and some that had expectations lowered as the year progressed. Whitney didn't show up for the playoffs, but he was a key player in the regular season, so I can't call him a disappointment. Cole didn't do much here, but his mere presence created more of a depth for the team that helped the playoff push. Brindamour obviously had his expectations lowered as the year progressed, so it's hard to call him a disappointment.

To me, Seidenberg was the biggest disappointment, when you take into account his play in the regular season and the playoffs. It's down to what JR said: Inconsistency. He'd have a stretch of games where he played solid, block shots, hit, etc. And then the next stretch of games, you'd need a proctologist to find his head. And then the playoffs came along, and he was beat by the same play, every time. Twice against Boston in the same play, and then against Pittsburgh, the same play. He loses his guy, and then the cross-crease pass leaves him open for an easy tap in.

1) Playoffs MVP? Jussi Jokinen, He saved us a few times aswell as got Clutch goals that rallied the team to a win

2) Unsung Hero? Ryan Bayda, he was such a horse for the team, making plays always with energy and really showed some skill against New Jersey

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? Chad LaRose, what a season and post season for chad!

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Anton Babchuk, I hated his play in the playoffs... and his bi polar play is not what we need, our team needs concistancy not what he offers

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? Tuomo Ruutu, he breought toughness aswell as scoring to our club, and we need more players like him

6) Biggest disappointment? Erik Cole, he gave us a bit of energy then did nothing...

Cam Ward------2 really really good series and 1 terrible series

Defense was horrible.

So I guess you missed the point of these questions?

Am I understanding these answers are based upon only the 2009 Playoffs?

yes

1) Playoffs MVP? Ward - He had 2 amazing series and with a better defense, maybe even if the team hadn't gotten so worn out in front of him, then he may have stolen the series against Pitt.

2) Unsung Hero? Cullen - He gets credit a lot, but I felt he was overlooked in the playoffs. I still don't know why he wasn't at the point with Corvo on the PP, but I felt that considering he missed the last 2 weeks of the season with an injury it was awesome how he brought it every night in the playoffs.

3) Most likely to get the big pay raise next year? LaRose. I'm hoping that he didn't play so well that he played he played his way into a lucrative contract elsewhere. I'd put him at a priority with Jussi and Rutuu as guys we HAVE to resign.

4) Probably played his way out of a contract? Cole - I love Cole, he may be my favorite player, but he hasn't been the same since Orpik broke his neck. He always gives a lot of hustle and physicality, but that is all he's given the last 2+ years. He cannot consistently find the back of the net and he is always liable for a big scoring drought.

5) The player that is the Top Priority for JR to re-sign? This is a tough one between Jussi, Rutuu and Chad, but I'll say Rutuu because we really missed his scoring and physical presence when he went down in game 1.

6) Biggest disappointment? This is another tough one between Corvo, Bachuck and Cole. I think Babchuck takes it though because he was one of the big reasons we came on so strong at the end of the year. You would've thought his confidence would've been sky high coming into the playoffs, but he flat out tanked. Our blue line lacked a physical defensive presence, and we made up for that with offense. It is a wonder that we won 2 series with the offensive deficiencies of Corvo and Babchuk, but Babs was probably the biggest culprit.