The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Anyone catch JR on 99.9 today?

Thanks for posting this, I didn't catch the interview. It's nice to see that his thoughts are pretty much in line with those of the fan base. Interesting comment there about Babs...

Summary of what was said:

-Ruutu and LaRose are fan favorites and he'd like to re-sign them.

-Wasn't happy with Cole's performance in the playoffs, likes Cole as a player, but it'll depend on the number he asks for.

-Seidenberg was inconsistent, will also come down to the contract numbers.

-Babchuk has "no arbitration so he can take the (qualifying) offer or go back to Russia"

-Wants to add size in the offseason/draft

-Brindamour's role may change, depending on how he feels to start next year and who impresses in camp

-It's still up to Francis if he wants to coach or return to scouting

-Expect Maurice to stay head coach, barring any negativity from the players

-Expects the self-imposed cap to stay the same, but he'll talk to Karmanos to confirm.

The narrative from the interview was posted here: http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=19967&view=findpost&p=281000' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...st&p=281000[/post]

If the self-imposed cap remains the same, that's a good thing - because it's been kicked around that the league cap is dropping two mil or so, bringing us closer to the league max by default.

-Wasn't happy with Cole's performance in the playoffs, likes Cole as a player, but it'll depend on the number he asks for.

-Babchuk has "no arbitration so he can take the (qualifying) offer or go back to Russia"

-Brindamour's role may change, depending on how he feels to start next year and who impresses in camp

-Expects the self-imposed cap to stay the same, but he'll talk to Karmanos to confirm.

1. Well, what the heck PK? We go this deep into the playoffs, you make the money (what, like a million every home game), but won't raise the self-imposed cap? I don't understand.

2. Everything else is as I expected. No surprises.

1. Well, what the heck PK? We go this deep into the playoffs, you make the money (what, like a million every home game), but won't raise the self-imposed cap? I don't understand.

The only other year the franchise didn't loose money was the cup year, so you can't expect the sefl-imposed cap to go up when we barely break even, especially with the economy and the NHL cap going down.

The team was about $1 mil in the black after round 2. JR projected to make $2 mil per round 3 home game. That makes about a $5 mil profit for the Canes for the season. It would be nice to see some of that go back onto the ice. Better product will lead to greater future profits, that's good business. But I do not expect PK to put it ALL back on the ice. It is a business and I congratulate the organization on making money in pro sports in this economy in a mid-sized market.

Also he made a comment about the group good prospects we have in the minors that he sees playing here in the next couple years.

That's encouraging. I thought, with a few exceptions, that there was a good group. I was concerned with the injuries, the accident and just some spectacularly bad games that the talent that's here wouldn't show through. I should have known better. Now it's just waiting to see who they sign.

I like what he said about Cole, Rutuu and LaRose. Definitely go hard after Rutuu and LaRose, but only resign Cole if he takes a substantial pay decrease. Also look for some size in the draft and I like what he said about Seidenberg, he's inconsistent and to be honest this team doesn't need any inconsistency on the back end. I would rather see someone else come in even though I really like Seids.

JR also addressed our promising guys in the minors. I don't think he'd hesitate to put someone in there if they are ready to go if it makes more sense cap-space wise.

Nice to see JR make it clear that he is going to do what is best for this team and if it means not resigning certain players i.e. Cole, Seidenberg or Babchuk due to their contract demands or their lack of effort, then so be it.

Yes, the Canes are about loyalty but in this time and with the economy as it is, JR is looking at PK's money and what is going to fit in the team's budget also.

I would love to see JR to resign, Ruutu and The Juice to start with and if all possible, find some good offensive help for Staal.

I am sorry folks, I love Brindy but he has lost a step or two, is heading into his 21st season, there is a time when you need to say, I need to step away from the game and let guys like Sutter take over. We all think Whitney might have lost a little too but it was revealed after the Penguins series that Whitney had a broken finger so he might not be as washed up as we might think. Talk about playing through an injury.

It is going to be an interesting offseason in Caniac Nation.

- We have some players in the minors that are in the "poop or get off the pot" phase of their careers. If we are going to keep Borer, Carson, Rodney and a few others, we need to bring them up for good, and clear whatever room we need to make it happen. Otherwise, trade them and get something in return to build for the future.

- I have a feeling that one of our diminutive forwards will be traded or let go. I would not be surprised in the least if we package Ray Whitney and one of those defensemen mentioned above for a larger top-9 guy. Nothing to base that on other than gut feeling.

- I have a feeling that one of our diminutive forwards will be traded or let go. I would not be surprised in the least if we package Ray Whitney and one of those defensemen mentioned above for a larger top-9 guy. Nothing to base that on other than gut feeling.

Doubt that Ray is going anywhere, he seems to be the most vocal leader we have on this team.

Also he made a comment about the group good prospects we have in the minors that he sees playing here in the next couple years.

Hopefully that will keep him from making long term contracts that could burn the organization....example Frnak Kaberle

Nice to see JR make it clear that he is going to do what is best for this team and if it means not resigning certain players i.e. Cole, Seidenberg or Babchuk due to their contract demands or their lack of effort, then so be it.

Yes, the Canes are about loyalty but in this time and with the economy as it is, JR is looking at PK's money and what is going to fit in the team's budget also.

I would love to see JR to resign, Ruutu and The Juice to start with and if all possible, find some good offensive help for Staal.

I am sorry folks, I love Brindy but he has lost a step or two, is heading into his 21st season, there is a time when you need to say, I need to step away from the game and let guys like Sutter take over. We all think Whitney might have lost a little too but it was revealed after the Penguins series that Whitney had a broken finger so he might not be as washed up as we might think. Talk about playing through an injury.

It is going to be an interesting offseason in Caniac Nation.

I thought Brindy looked quite agile in the Pens series...IMO one of our few back checkers who were effective at times.

having a *fingers crossed* surgery free post/pre season should allow him to prepare well for next season.

Sounds like JR was disgusted with Babs. I know I was. My conditions of satisfaction for Babs would be: get in the weight room and gain 10 lbs of muscle before camp. Then demonstrate a commitment to finishing his checks or check out.

Adding size would be great but what many of our forwards need to do is look in the mirror. These guys aren't big in size but are big in heart and will hit your in a heart beat.

Chad LaRose 5' 10" 181,

Scott Walker 5' 10" 196,

Ryan Bayda 5' 11" 185,

Patrick Eaves 5' 11" 190,

And not one of them 6' tall or over 200 lbs. Some games we got it and some we don't.

I'd get the game film of Detroit at home against the Pens and have all of Crosby's ice time on a CD for the forwards to watch. No, not for what Crosby does but to see how well he skates and shots wearing Zetterberg for 20 minutes. :unsure: And everybody hit Malkin who I can no longer stand. "Whatever it takes" describes the Wings.

The team was about $1 mil in the black after round 2. JR projected to make $2 mil per round 3 home game. That makes about a $5 mil profit for the Canes for the season. It would be nice to see some of that go back onto the ice. Better product will lead to greater future profits, that's good business. But I do not expect PK to put it ALL back on the ice. It is a business and I congratulate the organization on making money in pro sports in this economy in a mid-sized market.

Actually, I could be wrong, but that last game in Round 2 was needed to break even and then at an estimated $2M a game for the next 2 games, they made money. You also have to add in there the expenses like staff, taxes, etc. The thing to realize is this "profit" number is based off revenue sharing business case which has specific requirements that have to be met. Without rev sharing, there would still be a loss. They still have a ways to go. Let PK take a little money as it keeps him interested in keeping it in the family.

Keep the self-imposed cap as Raleigh is not a $56M payroll hockey city. No way...No how !!!!

So, Cole, Seidenberg, Babchuk and Brindy get the negative mentions by JR. It will be interesting to see what happens with those 4 guys. ( I have to assume that JR will certainly keep LaRose with a nice raise, and his Ruutu comments are encouraging).