The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jahausa

Karmonos selling team?

It says they "could" be sold. Sounds like speculation with no real merit. However, I believe I remember PK being asked about the self imposed salary cap in an interview after they fired Lavi where he said he will "have to retire sometime" which could possibly be interpreted as him saying he won't have as much income in the near future should he retire... basically I dont know anything. But I just hope the Lightning owners aren't looking for another franchise.

Saw this article on espn.com today:

It says the Hurricanes may be sold. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Everything is for sale but this looks like another uninformed writer that always has to throw in Raleigh when speaking of "non-traditional" hockey markets.

----------------

Now playing: Led Zeppelin - Gallows Pole[/post]

via FoxyTunes

Also consider the source, ESPN. I always imagined PK would keep ownership of the team in the family and pass his duties down to his son, but who knows.

I'd be concerned about our team leaving Raleigh if: A) attendance consistently sucked, B) new local interest in the sport was not being generated, C) corporate sponsorship didn't improve over time, D) local youth hockey wasn't growing and wasn't being groomed by the organization, or E) the team sits on the NHL basement floor for more than 2 years straight at any given point in time in the future. But I'm not concerned, because, attendance has consistently improved over the long term, new fans are born every year, local youth hockey is growing, and we've experienced a lot of success in the last 7 seasons with 3 ECFs, 2 SCFs, and 1 cup. The only thing that concerns me at all is corporate sponsorship, but as the economy improves, I imagine this will come with it. I presume PK hasn't made any money since he bought the team, but he has a good product and it has been growing ever since day one. He doesn't strike me as a day trader playing around with penny stocks (read: I'm sure he has patience and looks at the long term).

Rumors like this popup all the time but Raleigh has been, at least to some degree, the exception to the rule in regards to the successes and failures of "non-traditional" markets. Ordinarily, Raleigh is only mentioned in articles like this, as cheapseats said, when an uninformed writer uses a broad stroke of the brush to describe the stereotype that such markets are always subject to ownership changes, though, sometimes it doesn't take an uninformed writer to throw Raleigh in that "group." A lot of people just don't think hockey belongs south of the M/D line, period. Raleigh gets lumped in with all the others much like the labeling of all of team X's fans as jerks.

Just like clockwork :rolleyes:

Anybody want to help contribute the money to buy the Canes?

We already do when we buy tickets ;)

That is total speculation. Nashville isn't on the block, not while DelBiggio is in bankruptcy court. Canes made money= no reason to sell.

Alternatively, I think its the best time to sell. Would make the team more desirable to a buyer.

Anybody want to help contribute the money to buy the Canes?

Other than the Green Bay Packers, are there any community owned sports teams?

BTW, what is the teams value?

Just did a Google search for the team's value: according to Forbes magazine it is 168 Mill, A tad but out of my price-range,

Just did the math... let's say there were "about" 30K caniacs from Raleigh, Charlotte, NC, FL, and other places... we'd roughly pay about 5600 dollars. Can ya'll get that \?

Just did the math... let's say there were "about" 30K caniacs from Raleigh, Charlotte, NC, FL, and other places... we'd roughly pay about 5600 dollars. Can ya'll get that \?

Canes season tickets:$1000

1 share of Canes ownership: $5600

Flipping the bird at the anti-Southern hockey establishment: Priceless

This is just a mention of cities. Some ESPN guy who does not write much about hockey looks like they just threw this in. Back in the early 2000's, PK said he wanted to sell a minority part (49%) but no biters at that time. I do wonder what will happen to Thomas Thewes portion now he has passed away ? Not sure how much he owned. I am sure PK wants to cash out some of his equity growth before he dies.

Who could purchase ? Everyone says Goodnight, but not sue at his late 60's he wants to get involved, especially with only daughters at the helm but you never know. Same could be said for John Sall. Dennis Gillings ...maybe....but he is in his 60's too. Big gamble on an investment of $100M for half the team with no control.

Ron Francis and Tom Barasso can not afford a NHL so I think that was a joke.

It takes about $80M- $85M worth of revenue to run a team. That is a lot of french frys and BBQ sandwiches to sell. If the Canes player salaries were at $56M, we should be worried.

Hockey is going in the right direction here but Raleigh is not a $56M payroll market. Also, what happens in 5 to 10 years when the salary cap goes up further?

PK and JR run a budgeted organization and do a good job. But payuing fans turn over for many reasons. (job loss, having kids, college educations, moving to another city, etc). They have to keep growing thier market and need the support by Triangle citizens.

That is why when I hear people complain about anything and everything, I want to tell them to think of the alternative.

The key for the Canes will be 2022 as the arena lease runs out (2024). Who ever owns the Canes will push for a new arena and even the more conservative Raleigh leaders are already thinking about that.

Will be interesting. Keep buying tickets, pay to park, talk up the team and most importantly.......SUPPORT THE SPONSORS!!!!

This is just a mention of cities. Some ESPN guy who does not write much about hockey looks like they just threw this in. Back in the early 2000's, PK said he wanted to sell a minority part (49%) but no biters at that time. I do wonder what will happen to Thomas Thewes portion now he has passed away ? Not sure how much he owned. I am sure PK wants to cash out some of his equity growth before he dies.

Who could purchase ? Everyone says Goodnight, but not sue at his late 60's he wants to get involved, especially with only daughters at the helm but you never know. Same could be said for John Sall. Dennis Gillings ...maybe....but he is in his 60's too. Big gamble on an investment of $100M for half the team with no control.

Ron Francis and Tom Barasso can not afford a NHL so I think that was a joke.

It takes about $80M- $85M worth of revenue to run a team. That is a lot of french frys and BBQ sandwiches to sell. If the Canes player salaries were at $56M, we should be worried.

Hockey is going in the right direction here but Raleigh is not a $56M payroll market. Also, what happens in 5 to 10 years when the salary cap goes up further?

PK and JR run a budgeted organization and do a good job. But payuing fans turn over for many reasons. (job loss, having kids, college educations, moving to another city, etc). They have to keep growing thier market and need the support by Triangle citizens.

That is why when I hear people complain about anything and everything, I want to tell them to think of the alternative.

The key for the Canes will be 2022 as the arena lease runs out (2024). Who ever owns the Canes will push for a new arena and even the more conservative Raleigh leaders are already thinking about that.

Will be interesting. Keep buying tickets, pay to park, talk up the team and most importantly.......SUPPORT THE SPONSORS!!!!

The direction the cap goes largely depends on the economy, it is rumored to be going down this season to $54mil. If it goes up in 5 to 10 years it will be because the economy can support that.

Maybe when the lease runs out the Canes will move to the new downtown TSA/Superdave arena with the Smiling Bob logo on top!! It will be located near Glenwood south and several historic homes will be leveled to make room for it. Snoopy's will provide hot dogs for the arena and Char-grill will provide the burgers.

.SUPPORT THE SPONSORS!!!!

Agreed. And let them know WHY you bought their stuff. I am planning on purchasing a John Deere lawnmower and writing them a letter to tell them why. Those letters go a LOOONG way when they think about where to spend their advertising dollars.

Maybe when the lease runs out the Canes will move to the new downtown TSA/Superdave arena with the Smiling Bob logo on top!! It will be located near Glenwood south and several historic homes will be leveled to make room for it. Snoopy's will provide hot dogs for the arena and Char-grill will provide the burgers.

Will probably have to have one of those warning lights for airplanes on top of the Smiling Bob logo. If TSA and I can get the financing approved, consider it a go. We will have to rename the team to have something fitting for Enzyte and Smiling Bob.

The direction the cap goes largely depends on the economy, it is rumored to be going down this season to $54mil. If it goes up in 5 to 10 years it will be because the economy can support that.

Actually, the place I think it will go is behind Progress Energy Memorial Auditorium across from the bridge. Could take out the old public housing back there near Washington school or even take out the Dog food plant. Also a city own bus lot and going all the way to the 1-40 bridge. Put it right in the middle of hte road and make the road circle the arena like Bobcats arena in Charlotte. Might need to build a on-off ramp at that I-40 interchange

THis location is much like the Met Dome in MLSP where the Vikings (NFL) and the Twins (MLB) plays. Just off of DT that could use some development. My guess is things are the same as now, a development deal may come with this as that seems to be the future.

This is all a quess as no one knows what will have in the next 14 years. But a place big enough to have new development around an arena but not so urban that some tailgating could not happen. Plus gets DT developed.

JMHO

Actually, the place I think it will go is behind Progress Energy System across from the bridge. Could take out the old public housing back there near Washington school or even take out the Dog food plant. Also a city own bus lot and going all the way to the 1-40 bridge. Put it right in the middle of hte road and make the road circle the arena like Bobcats arena in Charlotte. Might need to build a on-off ramp at that I-40 interchange

THis location is much like the Met Dome in MLSP where the Vikings (NFL) and the Twins (MLB) plays. Just off of DT that could use some development. My guess is things are the same as now, a development deal may come with this as that seems to be the future.

This is all a quess as no one knows what will have in the next 14 years. But a place big enough to have new development around an arena but not so urban that some tailgating could not happen. Plus gets DT developed.

JMHO

Didn't you hear?? There will be a separate Smiling Bob tailgating lot that will cost double the regular parking fee but you get a free bottle of Enzyte with your ticket.

One thing I never see, hear or read about is the size of the season ticket holder base. For whatever reason they seem to keep this a classified secret of the highest magnitude. Does anyone have an idea of what the STH holder base is? That would include full and partial season ticket holders. I know there is a formula that is used to convert the total number of partial season ticket holders to "full season" equivalents. Any clues?

One thing I never see, hear or read about is the size of the season ticket holder base. For whatever reason they seem to keep this a classified secret of the highest magnitude. Does anyone have an idea of what the STH holder base is? That would include full and partial season ticket holders. I know there is a formula that is used to convert the total number of partial season ticket holders to "full season" equivalents. Any clues?

I heard recently it was in the 9-10,000 total but don't know the makeup of that total. Probably be easier to book a dinner date with a player than to get them to release that number.

If they release this, it will be used against them in the Canadian media and from other locations. That is why they keep it to themselves. Back in 2002 to get the all star game here, one of the items was to get 11K or 12K STH. They almost got there and with some fudge, they got there. They lost much of that the 2 seasons after 2002 until 2004 and the lockout. Then they won the cup but lost a decent portion of that after the next 2 seasons. It will be interesting to see next year with the wins to ECFs but also with the economy......also add in all the "ice your price" deals which wa a big selling point to myself.

I like to think that many of the people who are no longer STH are still fans. I know many people who were STHs but due to having kids or job loss or something else, dont have STs but are still fans and go to some games but follow the team by Fox Sports South-Carolinas.

Actually, the place I think it will go is behind Progress Energy Memorial Auditorium across from the bridge. Could take out the old public housing back there near Washington school or even take out the Dog food plant. Also a city own bus lot and going all the way to the 1-40 bridge. Put it right in the middle of hte road and make the road circle the arena like Bobcats arena in Charlotte. Might need to build a on-off ramp at that I-40 interchange

JMHO

I hope you're wrong. Keep it out in the middle of nowhere. I like being able to exit the arena in a reasonable amount of time. With trinity, wade, blue ridge, and edwards mill there is a ton of lanes to keep traffic moving.