The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Who should be the head coach?

I wouldn't mind seeing Paul come back, but at the same time I think an outside perspective may be needed because we've seen a team lose some faith in Mo's system before. I think an ideal situation would be to have a front office position all lined up for Mo if we look elsewhere or go for Rowe or Daniels because I don't want the organization to lose him with all the positive things he's done for us.

I'd like to see Mo and crew stay just as this season ended, if for no other reason, to give more time to work on the philosophies/set-ups/etc. that he used for the last few months. Give him more time to learn some of the guys, and tinker with it. Just my .02 worth.

Mo...

Rowe looks like a muppet and Daniels looks like a sadsack.

Keep the coaching the same...

While it would seem obvious that Paul Maurice has earned the job of head coach next year, Luke DeCock's article it the N&O opens the door to the possibility that it may not be an open-and-shut case. There is speculation about Francis' wishes, that guys being groomed are ready (Daniels/Rowe), or that PK and JR are looking out there to see who else might be available. The readers of this board are pretty avid fans who have made some very good calls in the past. Who do you want to see as head coach?

Mo IS Maurice... :blink:

Mo.

Every player on this team like very good and happy with Mo. I don't think Maurice and Rowe ready, to be honest. After Mo, maybe, but not yet.

I think it will depend upon what Francis wants to do, whether its staying behind the bench or returning to his previous position with the organization.

Keep it the same, and if for some reason a change in head coaching is required, just insert Francis.

I feel the same way. The coaching staff obviously works well together, and the team seems to like Mo and respond well to him. Keep it the same for now.

I think Mo has definitly earned the opportunity to coach this team next year. Are any of us disappointed about our team's record after he took over? I'm not! I would like to keep the entire staff intact if possible. I don't think Francis really wants the head job at this point...He may even not want to stay on the bench. His call; but please bring back Mo!

I think Mo deserves to be the coach now. He did a wonderfull job with the team this season when he came in. But if for some reason there is a need for a coaching change wich I pray does not happen but if it does I would love to see Tom Rowe get a shot at being the coach.

I looked at the rosters for the Red Wings, Penguins, and Canes tonight. The Wings have 5 players under 6 feet tall. The Pens have 4 players under 6 feet tall. The Canes have 10 players under 6 feet tall.

I want a coach that can make our guys grow.

I would say that MO has earned it ,he took over a mess,and turned it into a good hockey team,and took them into the 3rd round of the playoffs

but,with that said, if our season starts going bad next season,let Francis take over

In my mind it'd be absolutely ridiculous to not give all the Coaching staff the option to return. From where this team was to where they've come, I think proves we've got the right pieces. People can argue that it was Francis, or Maurice, or the Goalie coach, but the fact is the set of staff we have is working.

So in other words, don't try to fix something that isn't broken

If it was up to me, I'd help Mo start packing his stuff for one of those made up front office jobs right now. (You know, like director of defensemen developement.) Mo with Ronnie behind the bench? At least Ronnie would limit the damage. Mo by himself, I've seen this show before and it's not pretty. After the finals with Detroit, Mo ground this team into a cycling, no shooting, no scoring, no hitting stankin' shell of it's former self and couldn't be run out of town fast enough. After doing the same thing to the Maple-laffs, Mo comes back AND WITH Ronnie turns the Canes into a respectable hockey team. (I do believe Mo was horribly out-coached by the Pens. How else can you explain Mo supposedly being able to identify that the team was making the same mistakes every game, but was either unable or unwilling to fix them.) Nothing tells me that Mo on his own wouldn't put this team back on a slow, agonizing path to mediocre-ville. But that's just me, someone who still wakes up at night with nightmares of the the Mo 1.0 era. Anybody remember Pavel brendl?

If it was up to me, I'd help Mo start packing his stuff for one of those made up front office jobs right now. (You know, like director of defensemen developement.) Mo with Ronnie behind the bench? At least Ronnie would limit the damage. Mo by himself, I've seen this show before and it's not pretty. After the finals with Detroit, Mo ground this team into a cycling, no shooting, no scoring, no hitting stankin' shell of it's former self and couldn't be run out of town fast enough. After doing the same thing to the Maple-laffs, Mo comes back AND WITH Ronnie turns the Canes into a respectable hockey team. (I do believe Mo was horribly out-coached by the Pens. How else can you explain Mo supposedly being able to identify that the team was making the same mistakes every game, but was either unable or unwilling to fix them.) Nothing tells me that Mo on his own wouldn't put this team back on a slow, agonizing path to mediocre-ville. But that's just me, someone who still wakes up at night with nightmares of the the Mo 1.0 era. Anybody remember Pavel brendl?

You're definitely entitled to your opinion and I'm not attacking that, but I've got to insert some logical reasoning here. Let's not forget the Canes defeated the Devils and the almighty Bruins. If you are going to blame the Pittsburgh sweep on Mo, then it is only fair to give him the same amount of credit for defeating those other two teams. If your first reaction is to credit the players for the two series wins (and not credit Mo/coaches) but then not fault the players for the Pittsburgh sweep (and instead blame Mo/coaches) then you are definitely being biased against Mo and you are indeed stuck in the "1.0" era. Just as he can't be solely credited for the 2 series wins, he can't be solely blamed for the series loss. I think most people would agree that Mo, the coaches, and the players all deserve credit for their wins and they also all share blame for the loss.

Was Mo outcoached by Bylsma? Who knows.

How else can you explain Mo supposedly being able to identify that the team was making the same mistakes every game, but was either unable or unwilling to fix them.
He did identify the problems, the main one being giving Malkin and Crosby too much ice, and he said that after every game. Do you think the players missed the memo on these two players? Of course not. It's ultimately the players on the ice who have to execute in order to shut those guys down and our guys didn't. But at the same time you have to credit Crosby and especially Malkin for playing out of his mind.

Also, it's really unfair to use his time with the Leafs as a basis for what is to come.

• A. The Leafs are not the Canes.
  • B. No coach in the world would be able to accomplish much with the slow and aging roster Mo had to work with in Toronto, let's be honest here.
  • C. You can't look at his time with Toronto and also ignore what he accomplished with the Canes in his 6 months with the team.

In his exit interview gig with the media, he pointed out that he was a much different person this time around because there wasn't really any pressure on him. Noone expected him to replace Lavi mid-season and somehow turn the season into a success - I think most would agree that at the time, it looked like it was just Jim's way to stop the bleeding, so to speak. That allowed Mo to "live in the moment" and actually build relationships with the players. He undoubtedly learned a lot while under the media & MLSE microscopes in Toronto and judging from the interview, learned even more these past six months. He was cracking jokes in his post games all season and post-season. That indicates to me that he is having fun and is relaxed, which is a much better mindset to be in when trying to coach, especially considering his previous reputation of beating guys into the ice during practices and not developing relationships with the players. That seems to have changed.

Yeah, we know what happened after the Detroit series. But he didn't have much to work with either. But none of that matters now because the past is the past. Noone expected Mo to help get this team into the playoffs, but he did, and then some more. He has earned the opportunity to return and see if he can take them even further.

cant Smilng Bob help n that dept? :lol:

Nicely played maryh. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to vote for other and write in Bob.

As far as Mo being totally outcoached in the Pittsburgh series, I'd like to add my 2 cents. After the first game that we were pretty competitive in, Cole was skating on one leg, Ruutu skating on no legs, Whitney had a broken finger (who knows when that happened), Ward tweaked his back at some point, and those are the injuries we know about. That would be 3 of our top 6 forwards and our goalie. Cole and Ruutu are the heavy hitters on the Canes and their physical play was missed since all we had left were the Oompa Loompas. That probably had a little to do with some of Mo's coaching in the ECF's.

When they first made this change, a lot was said of it being a "grooming" period for Francis and that Ronnie would take over after the season. (Hence Mo only signed for one year etc) and Mo would ride off into the sunset after failing miserably and being "let go"... it always seemed like an Interim position. But now, he's had a good success with the team and it may not be as hard to dismiss him.

And to BuffaloCanesFan, you mention that Mo sucked dirty pond water the first time, comes back WITH Francis and does a bang up job, but you assume that the reason for that is 100% Francis. What about the combo of the two? Mo credits Francis with getting the PP and PK working good (before the playoffs) and its obvious Francis spends a lot of time talking to the players on the bench. Maybe Ronnie takes care of some things for him that with the old staff he had to do himself or what have you and he can spend more time working on line changes, player matchups etc (which worked brilliantly against NJ and Boston.. not so much against Pittsburgh)

That said, you also have to consider that when they made this change, Francis made it clear he did not want to coach. If he stays behind the bench as the associate that's great but I doubt he will take over the head job, so I have to vote for Mo.

I may become even more unpopular (like it matters at my age) for saying this but I would rather start next season with a clean slate. Had Mo taken us to the finals and WON then and only then would I entertain a new contract. That isn't to say I hate him, for me it will just be "MO" of the same from previous years and I am not willing to take a gamble on that. Would rather see Francis, Rowe, Daniels or a mystery coach not named Laviolette (would rather see Laviolette in Minnesota).

I dont trust Mo and we all know that for the most part on the ice this year was 50% Lavi's system and 50% Mo's sytem. Mo couldnt completely throw the system out the door and win games he just made subtle changes. I think that's why we lost versus the Pens in the coaching department. He had no idea how to use the portions of Lavi's system versus the Pens and what ya saw was a gongshow of a result.

Give him an offseason to make it 100% Mo's and I am not sure what happens. That's not being positive either...

I've seen what he's done in years past and 03 04 are still painfully lodged in my mind and I never want to see this team that bad again.

I still do not see why Rowe was overlooked when he took our AHL team and made them something. As long as I can remember that team never, ever makes the playoffs.

my biggest fears are that Mo returns us to the '02-'03 and '03-'04 team we were. that would be a shame with the level of talent we have. If it were my decision and my money on the line I would go with Rowe and let him hire his own staff or reuse what is there but leave the choice as his.