The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Who should be the head coach?

Let me qualify this post for clarity. I was a Lavi fan and liked his system although it was clear he had lost the team. I don

Let me qualify this post for clarity. I was a Lavi fan and liked his system although it was clear he had lost the team. I don

Yeah I agree with Caniac97 and Legend...something about Mo just doesn't sit well with me...stagnation is the word that comes to mind...and we all know how our team down here in Carolina can tire of its coaching and start to look like *blank* again.

Let's get somebody different for next season, and put Maurice somewhere else. I don't know where...but let's just make sure that the team is hungry to compete and has the system/leadership it needs to do so. Please, please, please don't make the wrong coaching decision JR, which could ruin everything.

Our team should absolutely make a deep run in the playoffs next season, and maybe more considering the experience of this year. Let's not stain those expectations with the wrong coaching hire.

Nothing against Paul,Ron or Tom but i think the team needs to go in a new direction with a new style of play. I'm not sure whom is out there but IMO we need to play tougher and bigger!(not goon hockey either). Maybe someone like Mike Milbury would be a consideration if he wants to coach again. JUST MY OPINION ;)

Keep MoRon for another year. Then, it's either:

1) Ron as Head Coach, Mo to the Front Office or to another coaching gig

2) Mo as the Head Coach, Ron to the Front Office

3) ends up being a total bust, Ron goes back to the Front Office, Mo is out, and we get a new coach for the rebuilding that will inevitably come in 2010/11.

I say whomever the front office chooses.....I almost had a heart attack when Mo came back. He got us 1 round away from dancing with Lord Stanley again....so what do I know? :blink:

That he can get us close to dancing with Lord Stanley but not actually to the dance.

Keep MoRon for another year. Then, it's either:

1) Ron as Head Coach, Mo to the Front Office or to another coaching gig

2) Mo as the Head Coach, Ron to the Front Office

3) ends up being a total bust, Ron goes back to the Front Office, Mo is out, and we get a new coach for the rebuilding that will inevitably come in 2010/11.

so you would be ok spending money on tickets, parking, concessions, etc. for option 3?? and then reup for 2010/2011?

I guess I don't have that kind of money, I take it one season at a time and expect a competitive product on the ice. I am not will to pay with the thought that ok next season may be a sticker but we will fix it the season after that. I just as soon give up my season tickets and wait until 2010 to go back.

That he can get us close to dancing with Lord Stanley but not actually to the dance.

I hear ya....im not too happy about not winning the cup either, but ya got to admit to do what these guys did as soon Mo took over was pretty impressive. It didnt hurt his stock any thats for sure.

I hear ya....im not too happy about not winning the cup either, but ya got to admit to do what these guys did as soon Mo took over was pretty impressive. It didnt hurt his stock any thats for sure.

your time line isn't quiet correct. one of the many things that happen as soon as he took over was a 5 game losing streak. you really are giving him too much credit.

If it was up to me, I'd help Mo start packing his stuff for one of those made up front office jobs right now. (You know, like director of defensemen developement.) Mo with Ronnie behind the bench? At least Ronnie would limit the damage.

With all due respect to your opinion, it appears you had your mind made up about Mo way before posting. I know it must have irked you to have Mo succeed. Top place all the blame on him fro what happened post 2002 is really not fair. There were many more factors in play that led into that situation. Mo is one of many coaches who got eaten up by the Toronto Krap grinder. They never gave him a chance.

Give all these kudos to Francis for the improvement post Lavi has no basis in actual fact does it?

Nice dis to Wesley there as well. The consultant jobs should not be put down and can be a very valuable asset for younger players.

Just another opinion.

Yeah, we know what happened after the Detroit series. But he didn't have much to work with either. But none of that matters now because the past is the past. Noone expected Mo to help get this team into the playoffs, but he did, and then some more. He has earned the opportunity to return and see if he can take them even further.

Nominate for post- rebuttal of the week.

If you don't keep Mo as head coach. I think Rowe as head coach with Francis and co. would be fine. Otherwise go out and see who else is out there. I'd rather not see a what happened in Phoenix this year happen to Francis if he becomes head coach. That would be horrible.

your time line isn't quiet correct. one of the many things that happen as soon as he took over was a 5 game losing streak. you really are giving him too much credit.

and since the trade deadline as one of the hottest teams in the NHL....we will agree to disagree then.

and since the trade deadline as one of the hottest teams in the NHL....we will agree to disagree then.

he was here two months or more prior to the trade deadline.

When Joe Vasicek is your leading scorer, the decision of whether or not to play an up tempo hockey game has already been made for you. Does anyone really believe the problem in 03-04 is that Mo's system didn't allow Marty Murray to play his explosive stretch the ice style of hockey?

If as a coach you are given a team that can't score 3 goals, if you aren't trying to win 2-1, then you're an idiot.

Contrast with now. He has a team that can score goals. They score plenty. Seems to me they scored 4 or more in half the games he coached this time around.

Speaking of not quite correct, as soon as Mo took over he lost the first game but then got points in each of the next six games. Maybe you're not giving him enough credit?

When Joe Vasicek is your leading scorer, the decision of whether or not to play an up tempo hockey game has already been made for you. Does anyone really believe the problem in 03-04 is that Mo's system didn't allow Marty Murray to play his explosive stretch the ice style of hockey?

If as a coach you are given a team that can't score 3 goals, if you aren't trying to win 2-1, then you're an idiot.

Contrast with now. He has a team that can score goals. They score plenty. Seems to me they scored 4 or more in half the games he coached this time around.

Thank you. I cant believe all the whining Im hearing about Maurice right now. He showed he can play a well balanced system and took a team that was struggling with its offense-only mentality, and made it more defensively responsible. The goals and offense didnt magically go away all of a sudden because Mo was coaching. They went away for a period of time while this team was learning how to play team defense again. Once they became responsible in their own end, they could go back to playing a more offensive game knowing that their own zone would be covered too.

Maurice took this team to the ECF's and although I agree he may have been outcoached in the end, him and his staff got them there. None of us know what limitations the staff was working with injuries to certain players, and since Cam was out of gas and hurt by the last couple of games, did it really matter in the end. I wasnt convinced about his re-hiring at first either but I saw what he was trying to do. He wasnt changing a whole system that this team was built around, he was making adjustments to help build confidence and trust back between the team and its goaltender. It obviously was the right call for this team at the time. He never had a fighting chance in 03 and 04 with the players he was given, and with the injuries he was dealt following the magical 02 cinderella run. They couldnt score goals...period.

Those that hate him (hopefully the coaching and not the person), will always be skeptical and wait to pounce on him for anything that may go wrong. Maybe they'll give him a little credit when things look good but will always be waiting to say I told you so.

Thank you. I cant believe all the whining Im hearing about Maurice right now. He showed he can play a well balanced system and took a team that was struggling with its offense-only mentality, and made it more defensively responsible. The goals and offense didnt magically go away all of a sudden because Mo was coaching. They went away for a period of time while this team was learning how to play team defense again. Once they became responsible in their own end, they could go back to playing a more offensive game knowing that their own zone would be covered too.

Maurice took this team to the ECF's and although I agree he may have been outcoached in the end, him and his staff got them there. None of us know what limitations the staff was working with injuries to certain players, and since Cam was out of gas and hurt by the last couple of games, did it really matter in the end. I wasnt convinced about his re-hiring at first either but I saw what he was trying to do. He wasnt changing a whole system that this team was built around, he was making adjustments to help build confidence and trust back between the team and its goaltender. It obviously was the right call for this team at the time. He never had a fighting chance in 03 and 04 with the players he was given, and with the injuries he was dealt following the magical 02 cinderella run. They couldnt score goals...period.

Those that hate him (hopefully the coaching and not the person), will always be skeptical and wait to pounce on him for anything that may go wrong. Maybe they'll give him a little credit when things look good but will always be waiting to say I told you so.

though i was a big critic of his hiring i am not so much thinking about this past season as going forward. the only way i would keep him if it were my money is if he had won the cup, he has gotten us to the playoffs in the past but never past that last hurdle (for that I will always be greatful to Lavi). I don't want to go that route going forward, they can find another position for him in the organization if they want to keep him around but I would rather start with a new face next season.

though i was a big critic of his hiring i am not so much thinking about this past season as going forward. the only way i would keep him if it were my money is if he had won the cup, he has gotten us to the playoffs in the past but never past that last hurdle (for that I will always be greatful to Lavi). I don't want to go that route going forward, they can find another position for him in the organization if they want to keep him around but I would rather start with a new face next season.

so do we keep a coaching carosel for coaches who dont win a cup? all im saying is, whatever the front offices angle was bringing Mo in....he deserves another shot. It wasnt exactly pie, cake, and ice cream prior to him coming back.

So if I have this right, you're basing your judgement of Maurice on years past as opposed his performance this past season? And you're also basing this opinion because he didn't get us a Cup? Have you looked at the other 28 coaches in the league, are they all worth nothing to you because they didnt bring their fans the Cup? Only one coach gets the Cup each year and more often than not, its not the same coach that wins the coach of the year award. I bet that 25 other teams in the league would be more than pleased to have made it to the conference finals.

You're entitled to your opinion but it makes no sense to me. What if your kid was a terrible student in middle school, barely studied and barely made passing grades. When he hit High school, he matured, learned good study habits and focused on getting into college. Would you judge him on his performance in middle school as a young immature pre-teen or would you recognize his personal growth, self responsibility and maturity that has played a huge part in making him into a good all around student who cares about his future?

In coaching terms: Do you judge the young inexperienced coach who was given too much responsibility without any experience to help him. After being thrown into what was the equivalent of a dismal situation, he still was able to guide an overachieving group of players to the Cup finals against an all Hall of Fame team and put up a good fight for a few games. He was replaced not because of what he was doing wrong but because he lost his voice in the locker room after 2 very difficult seasons of injuries and players that were miscast for the team and system they were attempting at the time. This was pre-lockout, the rules weren't the same as they are now.

When Lavi came in, he was handed players that could score, a solid goaltender in Gerber and new NHL rules that favored his run and gun style of play(no disrespect to Lavi and all he accomplished). Maurice didnt have this here, but after a very successful season coaching the Marlies, he was given the keys the the NHL's highest profiled team because someone obviousy thought that much of him. The Leafs were a mess from the inside out and Maurice was never given the time nor the team to achieve any success while in Toronto. Coming back here to Raleigh was the first time in his career that he's been given the team, the confidence, and the staff needed to compete and guess what...he made it to the ECF's, all after helping to dig this team out of the hole the were in from the first half of the season. It was just unfortunate that the team ran out of gas against 2 of the top players in the league by the time they got there or who knows what could have happened. Maybe if Maurice and Co. had a whole season to develop the team chemistry, confidence and get comfortable playing a system, the team wouldnt have had to be playing for its playoff life since January and digging itself out of the big hole which you have to think, had some part in them running out of steam.

Do you think if the team was playing the quality hockey they were playing down the stretch throughout the whole season, that they may have at least challenged the Caps for the division? If we won the division and then made it to the ECF's, would Maurice still be judged for his coaching from years ago or would people base their opinions on what they witnessed for the whole season?

Whew, I feel better now. :)

I can't say I really trust or like Mo, but the man earned the right to be the head coach next year. Personally I don't like what it would say about the organization if you bring someone in who does right the ship and then send him packing. It doesn't matter whether it happened right away or not, what matters in the final calculation is he took a team to the ECF that was headed for 9th when he took over. Bottom line you don't turn to a guy to bail you out, especially one who bails you out and then some, then send him packing. I don't like the message that sends to whoever the team hires to replace him now or in the future or the players. Not running your team like a circus matters, especially when you can't spend to the cap but want to stay competitive.

That being said I wouldn't give him more than a one year deal with some sort of team option but you can't just send him to the curb.

Its hard to ignore people that obviously dont have a clue or understand all that went on with this organization from the time it left Hartford, till it settled into Raleigh, with a pathetic stop on Greensboro along the way. There was life before 2002 (well, barely) and all that groundwork through the really awful times led to the successes we've seen since 2002. O2 was the exception to the rule at the time and only jump started what was to become the franchise we all know today.

Im not 100% convinced that Maurice is the long term answer here, but he's at least earned the opportunity to see what he can do with a full season to work with.

This.

Like TSA said, he wasn't given a chance with some of the teams that he had. Give him a break. Let's see what he can do in a full season. I'm still not convinced that its soley Mo, but this coaching staff seems to blend together to make up a great team. I'm very interested to see what goes on in the 2009-2010 season.