The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Who should be the head coach?

Like TSA said, he wasn't given a chance with some of the teams that he had. Give him a break. Let's see what he can do in a full season. I'm still not convinced that its soley Mo, but this coaching staff seems to blend together to make up a great team. I'm very interested to see what goes on in the 2009-2010 season.

How many chances does Mo need? Mo is like the Regan Smith or Todd Bodine of the NHL. (that's a Nascar reference Caniacs.) He's the Nascar driver that consistantly finishes in the bottom 20, once in a blue moon will get you a top 10, but deep down you now he'll never win the big race, but will always end up with a ride. Will Mo be back as coach? More than likely. Will I be happy? Absolutely, unequivically no. Will I renew my season tickets? More than likely. What this team needs is consistancy. This making the playoffs-nothing for two years-winning the cup-nothing for two years-making the playoffs-noth....wait, were not there yet. There is no reason this team cannot make the playoffs on a consistant basis. If Mo is back behind the bench, then I would say JR needs to put a very, VERY short leash on Mo and if things look like they're going south, don't hesitate to pull the trigger. The ups and downs are holy heck on the fan base. This isn't George Orwell's 1984-"If Mo took us to the playoffs this year, then he must have always taken us to the playoffs...."

I can't say I really trust or like Mo, but the man earned the right to be the head coach next year. Personally I don't like what it would say about the organization if you bring someone in who does right the ship and then send him packing. It doesn't matter whether it happened right away or not, what matters in the final calculation is he took a team to the ECF that was headed for 9th when he took over. Bottom line you don't turn to a guy to bail you out, especially one who bails you out and then some, then send him packing. I don't like the message that sends to whoever the team hires to replace him now or in the future or the players. Not running your team like a circus matters, especially when you can't spend to the cap but want to stay competitive.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

How many chances does Mo need? Mo is like the Regan Smith or Todd Bodine of the NHL. (that's a Nascar reference Caniacs.) He's the Nascar driver that consistantly finishes in the bottom 20, once in a blue moon will get you a top 10, but deep down you now he'll never win the big race, but will always end up with a ride. Will Mo be back as coach? More than likely. Will I be happy? Absolutely, unequivically no. Will I renew my season tickets? More than likely. What this team needs is consistancy. This making the playoffs-nothing for two years-winning the cup-nothing for two years-making the playoffs-noth....wait, were not there yet. There is no reason this team cannot make the playoffs on a consistant basis. If Mo is back behind the bench, then I would say JR needs to put a very, VERY short leash on Mo and if things look like they're going south, don't hesitate to pull the trigger. The ups and downs are holy heck on the fan base. This isn't George Orwell's 1984-"If Mo took us to the playoffs this year, then he must have always taken us to the playoffs...."

You've got blinders on. I won't bug you anymore after this post. But you are putting Mo down, state that you'll absolutely be unhappy if he comes back, then later you state that JR should keep Mo on a short leash and not hesitate to pull the trigger. But, in the middle, you say, "this making the playoffs-nothing for two years-winning the cup-nothing for two years-making the playoffs-noth....wait, were not there yet" has very little to do with Mo!!! The two years after 02, as already pointed out ad nauseum, cannot be blamed on Mo - he had no team! Then, Lavi comes in and we win the cup. Then, under Lavi with practically the same team, we miss playoffs for two years. Another half season under Lavi and we're looking to miss playoffs again. Mo comes in and bam, ECF. The bolded, italicized quote of your's has virtually nothing to do with Mo, yet it's as if you are blaming this "pattern" you think we are in squarely on him? Come on already! If you don't like Maurice, fine, but at least be logical when you're trying to verbalize your opinion.

And another thing, regarding keeping Mo on a short leash, how many of JR's decisions have been made swiftly? Or based solely on emotion? Jim Rutherford doesn't panic, just look at how much time he gave Lavi this year despite Lavi's job already being in jeopardy last summer. Do you think Mo is going to be on a leash of any different length than what he had on Lavi? No, because JR uses his head, not his heart.

I won't pick on ya any more :)

I think Mo has earned another year. I was totally against the hiring and participated in many "Mo Must Go" chants after he came back. But he got the job done.

Honestly if not Mo, then I want somebody from the outside. I would anticipate Ronnie, JD, whoever to just be Mo 3.0. I would also like for us to find somebody that can coach a PP.

Its hard to ignore people that obviously don't have a clue or understand all that went on with this organization from the time it left Hartford, till it settled into Raleigh, with a pathetic stop on Greensboro along the way. There was life before 2002 (well, barely) and all that groundwork through the really awful times led to the successes we've seen since 2002. O2 was the exception to the rule at the time and only jump started what was to become the franchise we all know today.

I'm not 100% convinced that Maurice is the long term answer here, but he's at least earned the opportunity to see what he can do with a full season to work with.

Actually I do have a clue and you shouldn't make a judgment like that unless you know me personally. I have followed it since PK purchased the team and tried to get Hartford to build him an arena. I am not ignoring what Maurice has accomplished. And Lavi didn't inherit Gerber, if memory is correct it was Weekes and Storr. Gerbs was signed prior to the lockout.

This isn't a love/hate thing with either Maurice or Lavi but more about what will better suite the team going forward. I think some sort of fresh start in the coaching department is the way to go. Will it happen? Who knows but in the end I am entitled to my opinion.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this whole deal is how P.K. and J.R. will come out looking if they don't resign Mo. J.R. decides to make a change mid season and Mo slides in and whether you like him or not, the end result was pretty good. He took a team wallowing in mediocrity and got them one step short of the SCF's. Now that is one big step and we don't know the extent of the injuries, but it was a lot more than I expected in January.

Let's say they sign someone else and they fall flat on their face. How long before the masses storm the RBC with their pitchforks and torches chanting "We want Mo"? After the warm welcome we all gave Mo when he returned, the fact that I could even suggest that happening may be the sign of the end of days. If you were a top flight coach would you be jumping at a chance to go to a team that just fired (basically fired anyway) the guy that took their team to the conference finals? A fresh start may be great, but to me that wouldn't be Rowe or Daniels. I'm not even sure about Francis. There is a lot of difference between excellence on ice and excellence behind the bench.

What we don't know is what the handshake deal was that got Mo to come back here. Was he promised anything if he got the team in the playoffs or beyond? Was he brought in as a project manager to evaluate Rowe or Francis as potential head coaches? Is he after a front office position? I was as shocked as anyone here when he was brought back. I remember the dark days after the 02 run and that scared me. During that time, I was a Canes fan but not yet a Caniac (the type that would be sitting at a computer in the morning avoiding work to argue a potential coaching change a week after the season ended). Maybe I'd be more anti-Mo if I was that type of fan then. It's hard to argue with the results of his return.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this whole deal is how P.K. and J.R. will come out looking if they don't resign Mo. J.R. decides to make a change mid season and Mo slides in and whether you like him or not, the end result was pretty good. He took a team wallowing in mediocrity and got them one step short of the SCF's. Now that is one big step and we don't know the extent of the injuries, but it was a lot more than I expected in January.

Let's say they sign someone else and they fall flat on their face. How long before the masses storm the RBC with their pitchforks and torches chanting "We want Mo"? After the warm welcome we all gave Mo when he returned, the fact that I could even suggest that happening may be the sign of the end of days. If you were a top flight coach would you be jumping at a chance to go to a team that just fired (basically fired anyway) the guy that took their team to the conference finals? A fresh start may be great, but to me that wouldn't be Rowe or Daniels. I'm not even sure about Francis. There is a lot of difference between excellence on ice and excellence behind the bench.

What we don't know is what the handshake deal was that got Mo to come back here. Was he promised anything if he got the team in the playoffs or beyond? Was he brought in as a project manager to evaluate Rowe or Francis as potential head coaches? Is he after a front office position? I was as shocked as anyone here when he was brought back. I remember the dark days after the 02 run and that scared me. During that time, I was a Canes fan but not yet a Caniac (the type that would be sitting at a computer in the morning avoiding work to argue a potential coaching change a week after the season ended). Maybe I'd be more anti-Mo if I was that type of fan then. It's hard to argue with the results of his return.

good post, hopefully by Friday we will know what direction we are going as far as coach. As I understand it, JR is in Detroit meeting with PK on staff and player issues. When he gets back the coaching issue will be the first to be resolved and then onto players.

On a brighter note that only leaves us three days to argue our different positions knowing full well that JR and PK don't read this anyhow.

On a brighter note that only leaves us three days to argue our different positions knowing full well that JR and PK don't read this anyhow.

J.R. doesn't read this?

I've been wasting my time.

Actually I do have a clue and you shouldn't make a judgment like that unless you know me personally. I have followed it since PK purchased the team and tried to get Hartford to build him an arena. I am not ignoring what Maurice has accomplished. And Lavi didn't inherit Gerber, if memory is correct it was Weekes and Storr. Gerbs was signed prior to the lockout.

This isn't a love/hate thing with either Maurice or Lavi but more about what will better suite the team going forward. I think some sort of fresh start in the coaching department is the way to go. Will it happen? Who knows but in the end I am entitled to my opinion.

Look out 97 :unsure: ,, i agree with ya 100 %,,imagine that!! :) I agree we need to go in another direction. I don't think think that another full year(if he makes it that long) is the right way to go. They can keep all those guys in the organization but a new True Head Coach is the way to go.

Plus i can't believe you really think you can have your own opinion,,,,and state it in here!!!You must be losing your mind!!! :lol:

J.R. doesn't read this?

I've been wasting my time.

you are the president of the Smiliing Bob fan club, you have your loyal following!! after all, They Know Where To Look For "Leadership".

you are the president of the Smiliing Bob fan club, you have your loyal following!! after all, They Know Where To Look For "Leadership".

I've always got that I guess.

Smilin' Bob, titan of leadership.

Back on topic, my big issue right now with Mo centers around us being swept. You can't always win every game every day (as much as we would like them to) but to drop 4 in a row really upsets me. He had four opportunities to get at least one or two wins.

Back on topic, my big issue right now with Mo centers around us being swept. You can't always win every game every day (as much as we would like them to) but to drop 4 in a row really upsets me. He had four opportunities to get at least one or two wins.

To be honest, that part disappointed me too but I still can't imagine that your attitude toward Mo would be any different even if we wouldn't have been swept.

So, if not Mo, who else is available? It should be a very short list considering that 28 of the current head coaches don't meet expectations and the two who are still going at it are garanteed to stay with their teams.

Just over 100 votes in. Despite some spirited posts arguing against, the 3/4 majority wants Maurice back. Personally I agree. I must confess that I was a pretty casual fan during version 1 of Maurice, so I am mostly judging on this year, though it is impressive that despite not winning a cup, Mo has taken two teams deep into the playoffs.

The fact that the team ultimately took a while to get going, actually speaks well of what Mo did. Just about evey new coach gets that immediate bump in effort. But what this team did was turn around slowly, then build the pieces, and eventually put it all together. When the team bought in and it came together we were dang good. Through March we were beating just about everyone put in our path and looking good doing it. Yes, a lot of that was Cam finding his game, but the better defensive scheme played a big role in that, and Mo gets a lot of credit for that in my book. The guys play for him. They buy in. The deep playoff run was the clincher.

Remember this year's team had no Stillman, no Recci, no Weight, no Williams (33 goals that year), no Brind'Amour...ok a different Brind'Amour, and got little out of Cole during the playoffs. Yet were one round away from playing for the cup. Of the 4 teams that made Conference Finals on paper only one team seamed to have overacheived. Yes the 0-4 drubbing did spoil it a little, but on balance since Mo took over that was some pretty good coaching.

The only way Maurice shouldn't come back is if for some reason he doesn't want to.

As an aside I do find it interesting that less than 5% have voted for someone from outside the origanization (Lavi doesn't count). If you factor that in then 95% of voters are pretty happy with the coaching within the organization, which suggests a lot of satisfaction.

Mo comes back but only a one year contract..... if he doesn't perform then he is gone, very simple.

Most everyone on the board is hesistant about how Mo is planning on molding the team for next year so if given only one year then you are only on the hook for that period... If he screws up give Rowe or Francis the opportunity.

We know JR is bringing him back the question is how long the contract will be...

Regarding the 4-0 sweep, of course like every other Canes fan I was disappointed. I will say that I thought the Canes were competitive -- with in 1 goal in the 3rd except the 4th game and they never gave up, played hard the entire game. I said before the playoffs if they did that, I'd be satisfied. I am.

My concerns are with 09 now.

We understand. You don't like the guy.

How about the players on the ice, didnt they have four opportunities to get at least one or two wins also? Maurice should have been behind Cam in the net just in case he missed one. He should have been helping Babchuk hold his stick to make sure he could hold the blueline. Should have been making sure Whitney could get shots to the net because of his broken finger. Definatley should have been on the ice on the rush with Staal because Maurice IS that missing top line winger that he's been missing all season.

Yep, Maurice should have gotten at least one or two wins in the four chances he had.....all by himself.

To be honest, that part disappointed me too but I still can't imagine that your attitude toward Mo would be any different even if we wouldn't have been swept.

So, if not Mo, who else is available? It should be a very short list considering that 28 of the current head coaches don't meet expectations and the two who are still going at it are garanteed to stay with their teams.

And of those two coaches left still going at it, only one will win the Cup so the other coach obvously wont meet the high expectations either.

I myself give MO alot of credit, but IMO i don't think he is the answer for the future of the Team. With that said i don't think any organization looks all that far down the road. I think most coaches are in a "ONE AND DONE" situtation Just ask Barry Melrose. There are alot of coaches in the AHL that can get the job done,,,,Look at the Pens! I just think that if MO stay's we will be the same team that we were this year,and as we found out with Lavs style, once teams gets what you are doing you aren't as effective.(unless you are the Red Wings) Mo's style isn't that much different that Lavs but it was just enough to get us into the playoffs. We need some size and grit on the blue line and another offensive threat. (Those are on Management to get). So IMO i would like to see someone come in here with a tougher style of play and change things up.

How about the players on the ice, didn't they have four opportunities to get at least one or two wins also? Maurice should have been behind Cam in the net just in case he missed one. He should have been helping Babchuk hold his stick to make sure he could hold the blue line. Should have been making sure Whitney could get shots to the net because of his broken finger. Definitely should have been on the ice on the rush with Staal because Maurice IS that missing top line winger that he's been missing all season.

Yep, Maurice should have gotten at least one or two wins in the four chances he had.....all by himself.

it is the coaches job to motivate, to light a fire. none of that happened.

it is the coaches job to motivate, to light a fire. none of that happened.

I will agree with you on this point, but don't you think that if Mo needed to light a fire under a professional hockey team in the Eastern Conference Finals we have bigger issues than who will coach the team? At some point, it's up to the guys on the ice to motivate themselves and do their jobs.

I will agree with you on this point, but don't you think that if Mo needed to light a fire under a professional hockey team in the Eastern Conference Finals we have bigger issues than who will coach the team? At some point, it's up to the guys on the ice to motivate themselves and do their jobs.

I don't disagree but that would sound like the guys stopped buying what Mo is selling at the worst possible time. If Cam was hurt (and I am led to believe he was) then you go with your backup and hope for the best. Had we won one or two then I would just leave it at the better team won.