The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Tephan

Showing my ignorance here.

Ah, the irony of equating the LA Clippers with the Buffalo Sabres.. for the Clippers began life as the Buffalo Braves.. a team that fled Buffalo for the sunny San Diego coast...

Oddly enough, I always think of toenails when I hear the LA Clippers... but Buffalo Sabres are even more vomit inducing.

I've always counted the Devils as one of our biggest non-division rivals...I can't stand them despite my huge respect for Martin Brodeur...he's the only player I like on that team for all he has done, but when they play I want the Canes to murder them...I consider the Caps our biggest division rival though...

Before this series started I don't think the Penguins would have been a blip on the radar as far as rivals go. After this, I'd say they are heading up the chart with a bullet.

How did you guys end up being rivals with Buffalo of all teams?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pens fans.........lets take a trip down memory lane.......

Game 1 2006 ECF at RBC vs Buffalo.......wife goes to it....we lose, Im in a good mood however and ready to console when she steps in the door after the game.......wife enters house.....the look on her face....the first thing I ask is" what did I do THIS time?"

That look in her eyes.... like out of The Exorcist.....Ill never forget it as long as I live.....I wrote down some of her quotes that afternoon.........here goes, enjoy (incidentally we are from the Adirondacks of NY)

"I cant believe what *edit* those Buffalo fans are"

"The RBC was handing out ECF commemorative glasses, and the Buffalo fans were breaking them and putting the glass under Hurricane cars tires"

catch my drift......................??

Didn't the organ-eye-zation hand out those glasses opening night of 2006, which we played the Slugs? I'm confused, could be wrong.

We had a little spat with Atlanta during the 06 and 07 seasons. During those seasons it seemed like there was always a fight between the players, seems to have cooled off. Our TV annoucers at least once a year now "trade off" for a period with one of the Thrashers TV guys, so that makes for an interesting view.

Tampa Bay is a team that has given us fits before, but this season we swept them.

Aside of some fan bases I don't think the Canes have a true rivalry with another team. If anything, we probably earned some respect from the Devils, Buffalo and the Bruins. Like Aaron Ward said in one of his interviews, "it's hard to find something to dislike about Carolina."

Aside of some fan bases I don't think the Canes have a true rivalry with another team. If anything, we probably earned some respect from the Devils, Buffalo and the Bruins. Like Aaron Ward said in one of his interviews, "it's hard to find something to dislike about Carolina."

Agreed. Even before the Whale sent Francis and Ulf to the Pens, I considered the organization almost impossible to hate. How can you hate a team with Brass Bonanza as it's theme song? I think that has carried over to the Canes and perhaps even been extended due to the atmosphere at the RBC. There is something to be said for southern hospitality.

The Maid of Honor at my wedding is getting married to a guy from Cary in the fall. They come up to visit and we went out for dinner. He was so surprised that the radio folks here announced the temperature as 7 above. He asked "What's above? Why did he say above?". It was pretty funny.

I don't see how Buffalo is the biggest rival. I know you all hate the fans of the Sabres, but to be the biggest rival the opposing team has to look at you as a big rival. Buffalo has bigger rivalries with Toronto, Ottawa, Boston and Montreal. And if Basille gets his way probably Hamilton.

Agreed. Even before the Whale sent Francis and Ulf to the Pens, I considered the organization almost impossible to hate.

Ugh!!! You mean the most lopsided trade in NHL history? Yeah there should have been a lifetime of LOVE for the organization after that. Especially after the guy who orchestrated the deal for us went to work for the Pens the following year. Can you tell I'm still bitter over that one?!? :lol:

On the HF boards, most of the Devils fans have us up there as rivals right behind the Rangers now, and I would have to agree with that. After Scott Stevens laid out those devestating hits on Francis and Shane Willis in '01, we certainly took a dislike to the Devils. Since then we've been like playoff kryptonite to them.

We could not play the Buffa-slugs in the playoffs again for ten years and I would still hate them.

Florida is sort of a rivalry I guess. They seem to think we are their top rivals, wheareas we are kind of like "OK.....sure......whatever."

You would think the Crapitals would be our rivals as between the two of us we have won like 8 out of 11 Southeast Division regular season championships, but I don't really see any kind of rivalry there yet.

Ugh!!! You mean the most lopsided trade in NHL history? Yeah there should have been a lifetime of LOVE for the organization after that. Especially after the guy who orchestrated the deal for us went to work for the Pens the following year. Can you tell I'm still bitter over that one?!? :lol:

On the HF boards, most of the Devils fans have us up there as rivals right behind the Rangers now, and I would have to agree with that. After Scott Stevens laid out those devestating hits on Francis and Shane Willis in '01, we certainly took a dislike to the Devils. Since then we've been like playoff kryptonite to them.

We could not play the Buffa-slugs in the playoffs again for ten years and I would still hate them.

Florida is sort of a rivalry I guess. They seem to think we are their top rivals, wheareas we are kind of like "OK.....sure......whatever."

You would think the Crapitals would be our rivals as between the two of us we have won like 8 out of 11 Southeast Division regular season championships, but I don't really see any kind of rivalry there yet.

That did turn out to be an awful trade. At the time, the Whalers were supposedly getting the better end of the deal. All three players from it were out of the organization by 1993 though. Yeah I would have thought Washington should be one of the Canes major rivals. Give it a couple more years of Ovechkin taking runs at your guys and I'm sure it will heat up. Unless he misses and keeps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK8N1AZu1Qw' target="_blank">clobbering[/post] his own teammates.

I don't think Washington can be considered a rival because there's no hate there. The two fanbases are indifferent at worse to each other, and all I hear from the Canes players is respect for Ovechkin's ability.

Last season, the Canes and the Caps were in a heated race for the SE division crown, one that came down to the last game and ended with Carolina blowing a pretty substantial lead on the division. Despite that, there was really no lasting hate from either side when it was finally decided. If that doesn't create anything, it'll have to take something major for it to happen.

Buffalo being a rival is a joke. We had some issues with their fans during the Eastern finals, whatever, it happened. The players don't dislike the franchise and most importantly, they don't even care about us! Rivalries are NOT one way.

I would say that our 2 clearest rivals are Florida (players from BOTH teams have publicly said things about the other team and they HATE us - plus they knocked us out of the playoffs in 2008) and New Jersey (mainly b/c the two rivalry, especially after this year, is strong and present.

Washington hates Pittsburgh and seems ok with us. I went to a game in DC against the Canes and most people mainly talked trash with redneck jokes, but they seemed to hate Pittsburgh much more than us.

Before Buffalo, I would put Florida, New Jersey, Washington, Atlanta and Montreal. Buffalo comes in at 6th at the absolute highest.

I have to agree with the above post about the Sabres. Let it go , people. The only ones obsessing are the Caniacs. I travel to Buffalo frequently, wear my Canes stuff the whole time and no-one says anything. Infact I've had many friendly, positive reactions to my Canes gear. I always thought the Crapitals were our biggest rivalry. I've hated the Caps since the Greensboro days. Florida also comes to mind-especially when Cane-killer Olli Jokinen was a Panther.

Personally I like that we don't have "heated" rivalries with other teams, although NJ is sure pushing that button to say the least considering the constant playoff match-ups. Sure we don't like certain teams and they don't like us, but nothing like Colorado-Detroit, Toronto vs Everyone :P, and Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh. Let those guys all knock themselves out silly and beat each other up while we cruise smoothly B).