The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2009 Playoffs Pick'em Contest

In - thanks for doing this. Really looking forward to it! :)

Remember everyone: You can really rack up points in the later rounds, so just because you get a stinky first round doesn't mean you are down and out. Stay in 'till the end - the swings were fun last year.

Yes... that's usually a problem in this game. No matter what, play every round! There's no harm in that. :)

It's time to bring back my popular pick'em contest for the playoffs! It should be especially interesting this year, as our Canes are in the playoffs for the first time in the history of this game. In case you're new to all of this, I'll explain the rules. Before each round, you'll PM me your picks for that round (picks that are posted in this thread or anywhere else will not be counted). For each series in the upcoming round, you'll pick a winner and how many games you think that series will last. Here's the scoring breakdown:

First Round: 1 point

Conference Semifinals: 2 points

Conference Finals: 4 points

Stanley Cup Finals: 8 points

On top of that, in every series that you correctly picked the winner, you get a bonus point if you correctly picked the number of games that series went. That's why it's crucial that you remember to pick the number of games in every series, as those bonus points could make a huge difference once the playoffs end. The deadline to make your picks for each round will be when the first game starts in that round. Everyone can go ahead and send their first round picks in now, but we won't know the deadline until the NHL announces the first round schedule, of course. Good luck to everyone... and try not to let that Canes bias get in the way too much! ;)

FIRST ROUND PICKS RECEIVED (DUE WEDNESDAY, 7:00 PM ET): gocanes88, TSA, Jazzowness, architorture, spiz, dogbutler, CMsynergy91, SwordofTruth, kristinc, Buzzinator, Ryan, CANIAC4LIFE91, fallen_apostle, TarheelMike, rmilano, dinz, EricNCSU, SuckaPunchd, iamafirehazrd, Agent_Deadpool

Let's see what happens.

No posting picks here... please delete your post and PM them to me. The whole idea is to keep them hidden from everyone else so nobody will be influenced. That caused problems in 2007.

You get to customize your User Title, or is it just bragging rights. I don't care, I love playing these kind of games. I also did the Playoffs Challenge for NHL.com. Grand prize of 500 dollars for nhl.com store is pretty nice.

Alright... the first round is officially underway, so no more picks can be sent in, obviously. As usual, we had a large turnout, but let's hope this time around, all of you stick around for the whole playoffs. :)

My apologies... never got to post the leaderboard after Vancouver swept St. Louis last night. But I'm on it right now.

EDIT: Finished. Hey, look who's at the top... it's not rigged, I swear! :lol:

A few more people are on top of the leaderboard after Boston's sweep of Montreal tonight. Two series could end tomorrow night, so there could be a lot of change 24 hours from now.

He won the first year, but did he win last year? I can't look because the thread was deleted somehow. :(

He won the first year, but did he win last year? I can't look because the thread was deleted somehow. :(

It was just put in the vault. I think he did win last year too....hmmm...

Oh sweet? Can I see it? I was actually looking for it when I made this thread to get an idea of how I did it last year.

Two sweeps... I would have not guessed I was being too conservative picking some series to go 5 games. :)

Another update after Detroit's sweep of Columbus. Look at that logjam in the middle... it's a close race so far.

We've now got only two at the top after Pittsburgh's ousting of Philadelphia today. Lots of people got the bonus point for picking the Penguins to win in six, though.

I am getting crushed by the bonus points... I gave Columbus and Montreal at least a little bit of hope and picked a 5 game series instead of a sweep, Until the ruined the second period my "pens in 7" was looking like it was going to happen, when after game 2 looked like Pens in 4... but then Philly just dropped it to them a game early.

I dont remember my pick for the Vancouver/Blues series.. probably 5 or 6, when it only went 4. My one 4 game sweep is already ruined as Chicago/Calgary has been tougher then expected, Chicago should have rolled over that one.

Could you send me my picks? I dont remember who I picked, and why do I only have 3 points? I know I picked Detroit Boston and Pittsburgh and I'm fairly sure I picked Vancouver also.

I am getting crushed by the bonus points... I gave Columbus and Montreal at least a little bit of hope and picked a 5 game series instead of a sweep, Until the ruined the second period my "pens in 7" was looking like it was going to happen, when after game 2 looked like Pens in 4... but then Philly just dropped it to them a game early.

I did the exact same thing.

I was also wondering if I could get my picks back. I looked in my sent PM's but it wasn't there. If you still have them that is.

I wrote mine down ;) ;)

I figured I would remember, but with 8 series going on I can't remember them all... and I picked most of mine for 5 6 or 7.. so I have a lot of overlap. :lol: