The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

How would you rate this season's success?

If we had squeaked into the playoffs, then I would say happy to be in.

Considering how the team had played the last month and a half leading into the playoffs and the re-acquiring of Cole, I think we have tools where we should make it past a few rounds.

Although, if the team makes money this year in this economy it would also be a victory imo. (prob requires a few rounds as well into the playoffs.)

This team underachieved the first 2/3 of the season and overachieved the last 1/3. We still probably aren't configured for a deep playoff run, even with the addition of Cole. Anything past the first round is a success for the franchise.

That being said, I fully expect to run through the rest of the playoffs like Smiling Bob runs through coeds at Daytona on Spring Break.

We need to pay Cam, so anthing past the first round would be good. Seriously, it's great to be in the playoffs, but I really don't think this team is built for a deep run, although I hope they prove me wrong.

I'm just happy we made the playoffs. 3 years in a row (and after winning the Cup, mind you) would have been too embarassing.

Bonus: even if we lose the next 2 games and go out, at least we didn't get swept.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this team be a Cup contender year after year, but the last 2 seasons were sort of a reality check.

I said before the season that I'd be happy with a first round series win and a respectable, hard fought loss in the conference semis.

So for me, this Devils series means a lot. We need to find a way to pull this off. An extra couple of home playoff games in two weeks would be nice. And by that point, I think we'd be playing with the proverbial house money. I see many here already think we are though, and that's cool. I'd be disappointed if we lose this series, but I think I'd be okay with it so long as we go out fighting.

This team had no business making the playoffs and wouldnt have without that 9 game tear; making it, is enough for me. However next season my standards go back up again.

I said before the season that I'd be happy with a first round series win and a respectable, hard fought loss in the conference semis.

So for me, this Devils series means a lot. We need to find a way to pull this off. An extra couple of home playoff games in two weeks would be nice. And by that point, I think we'd be playing with the proverbial house money. I see many here already think we are though, and that's cool. I'd be disappointed if we lose this series, but I think I'd be okay with it so long as we go out fighting.

I really don't think we are through because I don't think we've seen the Canes best effort yet in this series. We have to win 3 out of the next 4 and 2 of those are at home. It's not over yet and I think that to win this series will make the season a success and everyone should feel great about the team. That would mean two more weeks of hockey for us, at least 2 more homegames for the organization (money to sign players), and a success for the team.

That being said, this team will have to get back on the roll it was on the last 6 weeks of the season to make a run deep into the playoffs.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings, and she ain't even close.

It's all another monkey the Canes need to get off their back to follow winning the Cup. First was making the playoffs again, the second was winning their first playoff game since game 7. I would say the next is winning their first playoff game at home since game 7, and finally winning their first playoff series since 06.

If they advance to the second round, it's a successful season in my book.

If this becomes a 5 game series, FAIL. And even a 7 game elimination would be hard to accept.

The Devils are beatable, but they are extremely solid and consistent also. I have seen them trail off in the second half of games 2 and 3, with the Canes carrying the play.

The problem? Same as always. Can't score.

I said before the series that I would judge how far I'd expect this team to go depending on what the first game of the playoffs played out as. Obviously, getting destroyed like that pretty much told me what to expect.

This team was on the outside looking in 2 months ago. If they can force a Game 6 in this series, my expectations have been met. I wouldn't call it a successful season, but it's a baby step in the right direction.

Making the playoffs after missing them for 2 years has to be regarded as a success.

Thinking back before All-Star break I thought the Canes would be lucky to squeak in.

If they can manage to win the first round or at least push it to 7 games the team will have

something to build on. That would have to be regarded as a great success.

If they go deeper in the playoffs (anything can happen) it would be an unbelievable success.

Making the playoffs after missing them for 2 years has to be regarded as a success.

Thinking back before All-Star break I thought the Canes would be lucky to squeak in.

If they can manage to win the first round or at least push it to 7 games the team will have

something to build on. That would have to be regarded as a great success.

If they go deeper in the playoffs (anything can happen) it would be an unbelievable success.

Just making the playoffs for this team is an accomplishment... Getting higher then the 8th seed, which we seemed destined for all year, is a big bonus.

I think we have the talent to make it past NJ.. if we can just get all the gears turning in the right directions. If we make it to the second round I'm afraid we wont make it past Boston or Pittsburgh, but it will have been a good run.

Playoff experience will help us build on next year, especially for young talent like Sutter, Babchuk, Leighton and the rest of the Albany crew.

Getting past the first round would be great, anything above that is gravy. And playing NJ, even the first round win could be considered icing. This is the team everyone counted out, then when they hung in there and had Marty coming back, a lot of folks picked for East champions before their late slide. Not to mention that when you look at our playoff history, even as the Whalers, getting out of the first round has only happened three times, and we are nowhere near the level of those teams (understanding the limitation of historical assessments).

For me if the Canes do not win the cup it is a disapointment to me. They did have a shakey season for most of the season but still anything short of a championship is a disapointment to me.

For me if the Canes do not win the cup it is a disapointment to me. They did have a shakey season for most of the season but still anything short of a championship is a disapointment to me.

You are destined to be disappointed most years.

Making the playoffs is great, if we win some games in the playoffs and advance, that is even better. But out of 16 teams that make the playoffs, only 1 will win their final game of the season.

Good thing your not a Leafs fans!! :lol:;)

You sir, are the eternal optimist. I wish we could win every year too, but thats just not the way modern sports work. Even teams that used to win 10-12 in a row like the Habs and Wings dont do that anymore.. (of course there were only 4 teams back then!!! LOL)...

Hey Nash, I love your sig quote... but shouldn't that be "Welcome to Immortality"? Welcome to the Rafters does have a nice ring to it though ;)

Hey Nash, I love your sig quote... but shouldn't that be "Welcome to Immortality"? Welcome to the Rafters does have a nice ring to it though ;)

Yeah that would have worked too, but i didnt wanna mis-quote Ronnie, since that was what he said during his "video tribute" to Wes that night. ;)

Well, after last night's game, there's guaranteed to be a Game 6, so my requirements are satisfied. Though, with all the arguments I've had with Devil fans during this series, I really, really, really want to win this series.

The way things have been going for us the past month, I'm expecting a lot more than I was in the middle of the season. So I'd be satisfied with making it to the conference finals or whenever we meet Boston... whichever comes first. As well as we've been playing lately, I don't think we'd be able to beat them.