The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

How would you rate this season's success?

Despite the rocky start and other rough patches we stayed the course and fought our way into the playoffs. Once we made them based on how we played going down the stretch I felt strongly that we could make it past the first round and we did. Every else we do is just icing on the cake. I believe that when we play our skating game we can contend with most any team. We may not have the most talent but sometimes a perfect storm happens when all the pieces fit together. Winning the cup is about more than talent. Its about believing in each other and playing as a team. As long as we leave it all on the ice I'm always proud of our Canes.

Going into the season, based on the talent level we had, I was figuring we were a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs, and about a 50/50 shot of winning one round. Once we made the playoffs, based on the way we were playing, I figured we could possibly make it to the EC finals.

Drawing the Bruins in the second round kind of changes that thinking though. I would say if we can make it past them, I will be pissed if we don't make the Stanley Cup finals. Obviously I would be a bit upset with anything other than the Stanley Cup, but I am certainly not expecting it. I think at this point we have achieved either our baseline expectations, or slightly overachieved already. The Hurricanes are about 2 or 3 quality players away from a Stanley Cup contender right now.

I'd have to say(for me) this post season so far has been much more satisfying than '06. We were not expected to beat the Devils, especially after going down 3-2 in the series and game 7. If we win against the B's or not to me it has solidified the fact that '02 and '06 were definitely no fluke. I always had that hope and expectation that this was a solid organization. I fear the day Jim Rutherford says the "R" word and rides off into the sunset.

Actually making the playoffs & taking down the Devs was a bonus anything after that I would consider a successful season. Winning the cup again would be icing on the cake.

Very successful, 3rd on the list next to the cup years, considering what we have had to overcome in the season through coaching changes etc. Im very proud of the Canes regardless of what happens next....ok if we pull a NJ against the Bruins I might be angry lol. As for this series, its nice not having that 1st seed pressure, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain, not saying im throwing in the towel, quite the opposite, that makes us more dangerous, I like the situation we are in, in fact I love the situation we are in, its actually fun.

We have now overachieved for this year... anything more now is gravy. From a team who looked sure to miss the playoffs, to finish several spots higher, push the first round to seven games AND WIN! We've guaranteed our selves AT LEAST 2 more home games against the Bruins, and possibly a third if we take it to 6. Two more chances for the fan to cheer and scream and buy tshirts. We've got some RFA's that need signing so this extra income is icing on the cake. And someone posted somewhere, the Canes had already made a profit this year? If that's true then its literally GRAVY at this point.

Like THM and C4 mentioned.. the team at this point has nothing to lose.. the sky is the limit... they were supposed to lose to New Jersey and didn't... They should think they can beat anyone. The last two times this team has made the playoffs we havent come home until the Cup Finals.

The way the team played through the first 2/3 of the season, no question making the playoffs and seeing a couple of games at the RBC center would have been enough. The way this team played through March though changed things for me. It was clear that we had a better team than anyone thought earlier. And this was before Eric Cole came on board.

Once the incessant odd man rushes stopped and Cam started playing like first a top half goalie and then a top 5 goalie and we started beating the best teams in the league night in and night out, my expectations rose. For a minute there we almost got home ice for round one. That means we should have gotten out of round #1.

But then we drew NJ, who Forslund said was the best team in the East. So, really once we forced a game 6 with that team I was happy. After that series I am really happy.

Of course I'm greedy and I want to be really really happy, then ecstatic, then really really ecstatic.

But really, I'm pretty happy at this point.

We have now overachieved for this year... anything more now is gravy. From a team who looked sure to miss the playoffs, to finish several spots higher, push the first round to seven games AND WIN! We've guaranteed our selves AT LEAST 2 more home games against the Bruins, and possibly a third if we take it to 6. Two more chances for the fan to cheer and scream and buy tshirts. We've got some RFA's that need signing so this extra income is icing on the cake. And someone posted somewhere, the Canes had already made a profit this year? If that's true then its literally GRAVY at this point.

Like THM and C4 mentioned.. the team at this point has nothing to lose.. the sky is the limit... they were supposed to lose to New Jersey and didn't... They should think they can beat anyone. The last two times this team has made the playoffs we havent come home until the Cup Finals.

Completely agree here with Eric. I'm THRILLED that we made it here to the second round...the playoffs were a must but in reality it looked like we were just going to add another year to the "one cup wonder" theory. Low and behold the team played great and now look where we are...exactly where we belong! lol

Especially like how Eric points out the money and fan aspect of making the playoffs...it really was needed this season. Now we just to make sure that we enjoy it. The Cup year gave the team such high expectations...almost like I couldn't enjoy the team unless they did certain things. Now I can just sit back and watch good hockey...how it should be.

I had to say "other" because I fully believed if we could just make it to the playoffs the sky was the limit. I still believe that.

We can beat any team out there when we play our game.

I go into every season just hoping we make the playoffs. If/when we do make them, then my goal is to win a round. We've cleared both of those bars, so whatever happens from here is gravy to me. If we had lost to NJ, I probably would still have called the season a success, given all the tribulations we went through on the way.

I had to say "other" because I fully believed if we could just make it to the playoffs the sky was the limit. I still believe that.

We can beat any team out there when we play our game.

SPOT. ON.

Not too shabby, 98 out of 115 of us that voted are more than satisfied and consider this season a big success.

Only 17 out of 115 feel they came short of it being a successful season.

Given how the season started and us firing our coach I think we had a heck of a run. We beat two of the best goalies in the Eastern conference. We won two hard fought series in game 7s on the road. We beat the best eastern conference regular season team. I'm proud of our team and hope we will be in the hunt next year as well.

From where we were back in January, I never thought I'd see such an awesome two rounds of playoff hockey. What memories. Still hate that we laid over and died in round 3, but c'mon. Who thought we'd be in the Conference Finals? Hats off to the Canes.

Ok who's still voting? :lol:

The poll was made BEFORE round #1 was ever decided. You guys are cheating :P

The poll was made BEFORE the playoffs started. You guys are cheating :P

Guilty! I didn't want to vote and jinx anything so I waited until we were done. But don't worry I picked the one that I thought all along. :)

From the numbers, it looks like about 86% of us are happy. That's not too bad. Any franchise that can satisfy 86% of it's most devoted fans is doing something right.

Go Canes

Guilty! I didn't want to vote and jinx anything so I waited until we were done. But don't worry I picked the one that I thought all along. :)

Guilty too! I'd read this thread before, but realized in checking it now that I hadn't voted yet! I cast mine for the thrilled with winning one round crowd. Though I still think the season would have been a plus to just make the playoffs. Going to the ECF made it really impressive and a solid season for sure...amazing to be able to say that with a straight face considering this team just lost 6 of its last 7 games!!! :lol:

Guilty - just the way the choices were written. Items 2 and 3 seem the same, since winning a couple of rounds puts you in the ECF's, but I picked the third one.

From the numbers, it looks like about 86% of us are happy. That's not too bad. Any franchise that can satisfy 86% of it's most devoted fans is doing something right.

Go Canes

I think it's higher than that. Anything less than the Cup is a failure, by definition, so some probably voted that way even though they would be happy with less.

Just voted for ECF since that's where we got and I'm very happy with how things turned out. Disappointed we got swept, but that's not what I will remember this year for.

Yeah, I just voted, but I SWEAR I said to my husband when the playoffs started "if we go deep into the second round, I think that would be a really successful playoff run". So, technically, I already voted! ;)

Guilty - just the way the choices were written. Items 2 and 3 seem the same, since winning a couple of rounds puts you in the ECF's

Oops, never really thought of that. I think I meant making it "through" the ECF's.

Hey, at least you guys are honest about your late voting, but there's been 18 votes since we ended the series :lol: