The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

How would you rate this season's success?

Sometime back in January or early Feb riding home from the game I remember listening to Forslund during the aftermath or whatever it is called on 99 the Fan. He thought this years team had what it took to squeak into the playoffs the last game of the regular season, but did not give us much hope for a deep playoff run. My 11 year old son was feeling really bummed out and I mentioned we will keep going to the games, we will see some amazing plays, goals, hat tricks etc, just dont get your hopes up for going to the playoffs this year, if it happens that would be great, but dont let not going get in the way of having some great times at the RBC. Then after Glenn Wesley night we made that incredible run of consecutive wins as well as home wins, saw us beat the Craps multiple times, secure a playoff spot by beating the Pens in OT as well as a royal but kicking of the Isles. The fun we had during that amazing run just to make the playoffs was incredible. When we secured a playoff spot we ordered two playoff strips but after a few days decided two would not be enough, I could feel that no one in our family wanted to be left out so I ordered another strip. What an experience, I remember the crowd when the Canes took the ice for game 3 vs the Devils for warmups, I could tell that the RBC would be rocking. Who can ever forget Jussis goal with .2, Shock at the Rock, Scotty's overtime game winner? So yes it was disappointing to get swept by the Pens, but i would have to say this season in my opinion was an overwhelming success. A few points less in the regular season and we would be out looking in just like the slugs and kitty cats. And just think we have made it to three ecf's and 2 SCF in 7 seasons.

At the beginning of the season, all I cared about was getting back in the playoffs, going 3 years missing would not look good for our franchise, especially considering the horrible collapse we had at the end of last-season.

Then later on in March when we got hot, I started to think, maybe a deep run is possible.

And it happened, we beat Boston who swept us in the regular season, and I was ultimatly satisfied.

They greatly exceeded my expectations and thrilled me with some wild games that will live on forever.