The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BigMiike

2-2-1-1-1 or 2-3-2?

I don't like the 2-3-2. If a team steals an away game in the first 2, they could clinch at home without going back on the road. That's a rough spot for a team that has the home ice advantage if they drop one of the first 2.

From a fan standpoint, I prefer the 2-2-1-1-1 format. However, if travel costs skyrocket, the league may be forced to a 2-3-2 format

Players would probably like it. Like the previous poster, i don't think people realize that in a final, it's not like traveling an hour and some change to Boston for a road game. Look at the NBA finals. After the first 2 games, LA had to travel directly across country to Florida. I mean, i guess Detroit and Pittsburgh aren't that far apart, but what if it were a San Jose/Boston finals? A 2-2-1-1-1 format would've been exhausting. You're talking about possibly 3 times players have to endure a 9hr flight.

a= pass

b = fail

the current format is much more entertaining.

Do you like the current 2-2-1-1-1 system for the playoffs or do you think it should go to 2-3-2? I am not sure, but I think the NHL used to do this.

With MLB's back to back heavy scheduling, 2-3-2 makes sense. I don't care for it, but it makes perfect sense.

But why the NBA goes 2-2-1-1-1 for its playoffs, only to change to 2-3-2 for the Finals makes no sense to me. You can deal with the extra (albeit shorter) transportation for the first 3 rounds, but can't handle two extra trips for your championship series? It's not like the NBA's playing back to back nights in the Finals.

The 2-2-1-1-1 is the best format. Like canes n'bosox said, it makes for the more competitive - and intriguing - series.

yeah...the 2-3-2 doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It's like..hey...here's home advantage for two games....SIKE, you gotta play the next 3 Away. Last time I checked you can't win a Series in the first two games...

However...If they want to spice it up make it 3-2-2...thats way atleast you get a majority of the First 5 games at home if your the higher seed, instead of being punished for it

Players would probably like it. Like the previous poster, i don't think people realize that in a final, it's not like traveling an hour and some change to Boston for a road game. Look at the NBA finals. After the first 2 games, LA had to travel directly across country to Florida. I mean, i guess Detroit and Pittsburgh aren't that far apart, but what if it were a San Jose/Boston finals? A 2-2-1-1-1 format would've been exhausting. You're talking about possibly 3 times players have to endure a 9hr flight.

When the NHL makes it so easy giving them 2 days off between who really cares what the format is.

though I do like the 3-3-1 format. If players don't like it then play better during the regular season to get home ice advantage.

2-3-2 is weird... like Mike said, it works for the MLB because they're used to playing games in one place over several days. But it shouldn't be used anywhere else.

Alright time to make it interesting first we add 2 teams to the league to make it 32 then all 16 teams from each conference get in, then we split into 4 groups of 4, double elimination round robin, top team moves on to one game playoffs, with the winner of each conference playing for the cup. It should look like this.

Eastern Conference

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Carolina Of course we win the group

Florida

Washington

Pittsburgh

Philly Flyers win the Group

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Buffalo

Toronto

Hamilton (they get some love here) Expansion Hamilton Huffers win the group

Boston

Toronto

Montreal

Ottawa Ottawa wins the Group

Western Conference

Detroit

Chicago Hawks win group

St. Louis

Kansas City (they should have got the pens)

San Jose San Jose doesn't choke and wins group

LA

Phoenix

Anaheim

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Minnesota Minnesota wins group

Colorado

Dallas

Nashville

Columbus Columbus Wins group

So after the first pool of play, we've got 4 - 1 game series

Canes vs. Flyers

Sens Vs. Huffs

Hawks vs. Sharks

Wild vs. Jackets

ECF -

Canes vs. Huffs

Canes win 8-5 to please all the goal scoring freaks

WCF -

Hawks vs Wild

Hawks win 2-1 because there playing the wild

SCF

Canes vs. Hawks

Tie, Both teams awarded cup, multiple parades, the 48 year drought is over for the hawks and we take 2 cups in 5 years.

This is how it should be, balls to the wall.

Im bored, please sign someone soon.

Eh, i'm on the neutral fence with this one. I can understand the use of bringing in the 2-3-2 if say teams like Tampa and Vancouver or Boston and Anaheim met seemingly every year in the finals, but I'm cool with the 2-2-1-1-1. To me the NHL has other things that should be looked at and dealt with before discussing whether or not to go with a new format

In the spirit of being bored

I tried to come up with a new system

You play every team in East 3 times best record goes to the finals where you play a series of 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Or 3-4

or 4-3...whiever

or 2-2-2-1

or 1-3-3

2-2-1-1-1 is the best way because it keeps the playing field (wrong metaphor for hockey!) even throughout the series. The higher seed can lose a game early and still retain a "home ice" advantage.