Sign in to follow this  
GOCANES1311

Predictions for the 09-10 season

My prediction.

Regular season 82-0-0

Playoffs 16-0

Staal-Con Smythe winner

Paul Maurice-Coach of the year

Edit: I'm sure many of you think this is overly optimistic, so I say we'll drop one in the preseason and only go 3-1 there.

with current roster we miss the playoffs

yeah...and Maurice is a horrible Coach, Cam Ward is Average at Best, why the heck would we trade for Jussi...

Wait a sec, didn't we make it to the Eastern Conference Finals as one of the hottest teams in the league the last month of the season or so?

Oh yeah...we did... I totally see your point

This wasn't the year to expect us to make a splash in the free agency. Next free agency, we should be more active since we have alot of players contracts that will end after this up coming season. Still, would have liked us to go after say... Zanon or a good winger. There is still time for us to pick up a free agent, it just looks less likely we will at this point.

With the current roster and assuming Ruutu's back it wouldnt be a stretch to make the playoffs, but it would probably be like the last 3 years - always in the mix, but won't know if we're in until the last couple of games. i would say though with Maurice, anything's possible, look at the 2002 team. I don't think losing Larose is as bad most people think, granted that we can replace him with a player who at least has some size. Larose has the heart, but we do need to get bigger and more physical.

Two other thinks I think that most people will probably disagree with:

1. I hate Babchuk. yeah he scored 16 goals but if you didnt cringe every time you saw him with the puck in the defensive zone then you weren't paying attention to the game. I would not mind seeing him traded for even a draft pick.

2. Trade Corvo for a defensive defenseman. Unlike Babchuk, I wouldnt say that Corvo's defensive liabilities outweigh his offensive potential - he is mobile (Babchuk not at all), a great puck mover, quarterbacks the powerplay well and has the booming shot... but his mistakes can be even more boneheaded. Anyone remember the New Jersey series Corvo behind the net, TWICE, in two different games, feeding Gionta perfectly right in front of Ward??? Gionta scored both times, one of which was with like 7 seconds left in the period, completely shifting the momentum of a game that had been tied, and ultimately costing the canes the game. Beyond that, Corvo doesn't use his size at all, and shies away from any opportunity to lay the body. Hell even Joni Pitkanen throws a hit or two.

So again, JMHO. Trade Babs and if possible trade Corvo for a DD. If not possible hope for the best.

So again, JMHO. Trade Babs and if possible trade Corvo for a DD. If not possible hope for the best.

Then we're back to two seasons ago where we have no offense from the blueline, except for Pitkanen, and we don't have enough offense from the forwards to pick up the slack either.

Babs and Corvo can be sloppy and make some mistakes, but we don't even smell the playoffs last year if not for the 30 combined goals of those two.

with current roster we miss the playoffs

Yep, every other team in the Southeast has made moves to make their team better. We have done nothing but lose people. Lets wait a few months to start making predictions though.

Yep, every other team in the Southeast has made moves to make their team better. We have done nothing but lose people. Lets wait a few months to start making predictions though.

Its a little early to be panicking about what JR has or hasnt done yet. Free agency started a little more than 24 hrs ago and he hasn't finshed signing the RFA's yet. If we dont sign Ruutu and fail to sign any free agents by mid Aug, then we can sound the alarms.

Why is it that people seem waaaaay more nervous than previous years?

Its a little early to be panicking about what JR has or hasnt done yet. Free agency started a little more than 24 hrs ago and he hasn't finshed signing the RFA's yet. If we dont sign Ruutu and fail to sign any free agents by mid Aug, then we can sound the alarms.

we are bored and there is nothing better to do until the season starts.

Mainly because alot of people (myself included) are really hungry for the team to do really well since we missed the playoffs 2 seasons in a row after winning the Stanley Cup. To win it all, and than not make the playoffs two years in a row, has made the fans asking for more out of the team.

And, its the offseason. Where fans make silly little dream teams ;)

*Edit* I forgot to mention, after making the Eastern Finals this postseason, we fans have even more of a hungry for the 'Canes to do really well.

Clean up on aisle 5, feel free to resume the discussion but lets try and keep it to the OP's topic. ;)

Mainly because alot of people (myself included) are really hungry for the team to do really well since we missed the playoffs 2 seasons in a row after winning the Stanley Cup. To win it all, and than not make the playoffs two years in a row, has made the fans asking for more out of the team.

And, its the offseason. Where fans make silly little dream teams ;)

Fair enough. Just seems like people are a bit more inpatient this year and it may be because we came so close last year. Based on this team's history, I wonder if folks are worried we may hit the skids for a year or two after such a good showing this past season. History would tell us that might be the case.

Personally, I don't want them to fall back into the "one good year, two poor years" trap that we seemingly found our way out of this season. I didn't expect much in 07-08 because of what happened in 06-07 and I certainly didn't expect last season's results based on the previous two years. My expectations are simply higher for this coming season; I want them to match (or ideally exceed) where we finished last year. That's why I am more nervous than in past years.

EDIT: And TSA basically read my mind. ;)

yeah...and Maurice is a horrible Coach, Cam Ward is Average at Best, why the heck would we trade for Jussi...

Wait a sec, didn't we make it to the Eastern Conference Finals as one of the hottest teams in the league the last month of the season or so?

Oh yeah...we did... I totally see your point

Cam Ward is great in playoffs, he isnt the best regular season guy. We have to make the playoffs for him to be great. He has only lost one playoff series. Not sold on Maurice. There is something wrong with a coach that gets fired, then fired from TOR then hired back. Never get that situation past the fact that JR isnt the biggest risk taker and knew what he was getting in Maurice.

Jussi was a trade that worked out. No one knew that he would make that kind of impact in the playoffs. So that comment is a wash.

Yes we made the ECF but, we had our butts handed to us.

With all the subtractions and serious additions how can we not predict that we will miss the playoffs? Brindy, Walker, Cole, Wallin and Kaberle will be getting older and continue to regress. There are not any young guys on the team whose skills are progressing to make up for the regress.

Cam Ward is great in playoffs, he isnt the best regular season guy. We have to make the playoffs for him to be great. He has only lost one playoff series. Not sold on Maurice. There is something wrong with a coach that gets fired, then fired from TOR then hired back. Never get that situation past the fact that JR isnt the biggest risk taker and knew what he was getting in Maurice.

Jussi was a trade that worked out. No one knew that he would make that kind of impact in the playoffs. So that comment is a wash.

Yes we made the ECF but, we had our butts handed to us.

With all the subtractions and serious additions how can we not predict that we will miss the playoffs? Brindy, Walker, Cole, Wallin and Kaberle will be getting older and continue to regress. There are not any young guys on the team whose skills are progressing to make up for the regress.

So are you completely counting out any possible prospects making the team in Sept? There were a few that came pretty close last year if it wasnt for too much depth at certain positions.

So are you completely counting out any possible prospects making the team in Sept? There were a few that came pretty close last year if it wasnt for too much depth at certain positions.

exactly... We have quite a few who i think will make the team. Do i hope we find a way to keep LaRose and maybe grab someone else..sure? But I just don't see how that dude is saying we won't make the playoff's with the current roster when the only team hotter than us for the last month or two of the season ended up raising the cup.

That is not what i am saying. I am saying we dont have a young guy on the team now whose skills will improve to make up for regression on the team. We will have specs make the team and besides Sutter have never played at the NHL level. We cant even count them as being on the roster, which ones will be on the roster, and if they will make a good transition to the NHL.

I know how JR is, he is a 'last-minute' guy, but in this situation there are, or were.... some really talented players available and probably bc of our budget there was nothing said, i know it still is early but, i haven't heard anything about even attempting to get some players.... or the deal with ruutu, larose, and babs.. I just hope to see some new additions to the hurricanes ^_^

i haven't heard anything about even attempting to get some players.... or the deal with ruutu, larose, and babs.. I just hope to see some new additions to the hurricanes ^_^

sure you have... JR is playing cat and mouse with LaRose's agent. He hasnt signed anyone to replace LaRose yet and obviously Chad hasnt signed anywhere either. He re-signed Cole, he qualified Ruutu and said they were making progress with a contract, he told Babs to take his QO or walk and he was pretty clear that he wasnt getting in any bidding wars for the teir 1 guys when free agency opens. He had no problem waiting to see how the dust settles and working on some trades or signings to fill roster spots after he sees what his needs are.

Then we're back to two seasons ago where we have no offense from the blueline, except for Pitkanen, and we don't have enough offense from the forwards to pick up the slack either.

Babs and Corvo can be sloppy and make some mistakes, but we don't even smell the playoffs last year if not for the 30 combined goals of those two.

True, but you don't always have to have defensive scoring to make the playoffs or even win the cup. For our team last year, I think anyone would agree with you that that specific team would not have made the playoffs without Babchuk and Corvo. And obviously the team next year appears to be almost identical. So maybe the best option would be to keep one and try to get a DD? Corvo is more valuable on the ice and in the trade market. Babchuk could probably go for a bag of pucks because despite his numbers he has the mistakes and off-ice issues. I think if we could dump Babchuk and sign a decent DD, we would have a better blueline. Looks like we are s c r e w e d.

We don't know our roster yet but I think with the evolution of Ward into a top tier goalie I feel that we will make the playoffs next season. We have a roster that I feel can be very competitive, but how competitive we are is determined on a few things. It depends on who else we sign, who we can trade for, if Brindamour can rebound, if Samsonov and Jussi can put up point totals like they have in the past, the health of the team, etc.

Based on the amazing play by the team at the end of the season and when you take into account the fact that guys like Whitney, Rutuu and Cole were absent the entire playoffs then I don't think it would be much of stretch to say that we have a shot to get back to the ECF's.

We don't know our roster yet but I think with the evolution of Ward into a top tier goalie I feel that we will make the playoffs next season. We have a roster that I feel can be very competitive, but how competitive we are is determined on a few things. It depends on who else we sign, who we can trade for, if Brindamour can rebound, if Samsonov and Jussi can put up point totals like they have in the past, the health of the team, etc.

Based on the amazing play by the team at the end of the season and when you take into account the fact that guys like Whitney, Rutuu and Cole were absent the entire playoffs then I don't think it would be much of stretch to say that we have a shot to get back to the ECF's.

Amen. People here forget so easily about how far we got just a couple of months ago. Next season we'll have almost the same exact team, except our star players will be a year better and everybody will be motivated to get past the ECFs. I look forward to seeing if there will be any new faces, but if not, then JR will bring back the same players and we'll be set.

I know history tells us that after a deep playoff run things will go south for a few years, but I just don't see that happening this time around. Have faith people...seriously just have some faith.

EDIT: And as TSA has said, JR is one of the best and most screwed GMs of any sport, so don't count him out or wonder about his timing on things. JR has everything under control. We should all know that by now.

I feel confident with our forwards, as long as we can remain healthy and get Ruutu done.

We'll have to see what happens to the defense, there were some guys that I would have liked to have, Zanon, Walker and Leopold all went for 1.66-1.75, but there are still some guys out there we can grab.