The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GOCANES1311

Predictions for the 09-10 season

sure you have... JR is playing cat and mouse with LaRose's agent. He hasnt signed anyone to replace LaRose yet and obviously Chad hasnt signed anywhere either. He re-signed Cole, he qualified Ruutu and said they were making progress with a contract, he told Babs to take his QO or walk and he was pretty clear that he wasnt getting in any bidding wars for the teir 1 guys when free agency opens. He had no problem waiting to see how the dust settles and working on some trades or signings to fill roster spots after he sees what his needs are.

I guess you have a point sorry about that, but i was mainly aiming at the FA's from the league...nothing too serious is being discussed

we get larose for 2 more years! :lol:

I guess you have a point sorry about that, but i was mainly aiming at the FA's from the league...nothing too serious is being discussed

we get larose for 2 more years! :lol:

No need to be sorry, you started a pretty good discussion with little to discuss out there. Its pretty unnerving watching UFA's get signed when JR looks like he's not doing much. The LaRose signing should show that a lot is going on behind the scenes and until something gets done, we're not likely to hear about it.

I think we finish second in the SE, and make the playoffs 6th or 7th. My two cents about Maurice and all coaches: Why does it matter who the coach is?? your playing a professional sport, because your a professional player.... play hard!! Is Detroit good because Babcock is good? Is Pittsburgh good because Dan Bylsma is good. Im sure some of you will disagree but hey, this is my opinion. I hope Rodney makes the team this year, the games that he played last year really impressed me. I feel like some of you, we need a defensive Dman. Besides Gleason there is noone else. Keep Corvo, and Babs, having offensive Dmen is an extreme bonus. Our team is fast, offensive minded, and we have a great goalie. Thats right, I said Ward is a great goalie. I really hope he makes team canada, as Im going to a few of those games up here. In closing, if we add some toughness, we're gold.

jeff

This whole thread is bad mojo ..... :o:o How can you make a prediction when the roster isn't set and you haven't had a training camp. Last I looked every other team is also in flux. Way too early

Umm, its called excitement, and probably a little boredom. Whats the big deal?

This whole thread is bad mojo ..... :o:o How can you make a prediction when the roster isn't set and you haven't had a training camp. Last I looked every other team is also in flux. Way too early

My prediction.

Regular season 82-0-0

Playoffs 16-0

Staal-Con Smythe winner

Paul Maurice-Coach of the year

Edit: I'm sure many of you think this is overly optimistic, so I say we'll drop one in the preseason and only go 3-1 there.

not optimistic enough, forgetting undefeated during pre-season as well :lol:

pure curiosity! none of us are saying any of the things being discussed will happen, we are just talk about it.

all of us are wrong? so be it, just our 'predictions'

With all the subtractions and serious additions how can we not predict that we will miss the playoffs? Brindy, Walker, Cole, Wallin and Kaberle will be getting older and continue to regress. There are not any young guys on the team whose skills are progressing to make up for the regress.

Guys that we should expect age related regression in speed and skills.

Brindy - Can he regress any further? Also possible he is fully recovered from surgery now and may improve.

Walker - Yep, we should see regression here

Wallin and Kaberle - D-men don't regress as bad as forwards do, and these guys aren't THAT old yet, but yeah.

Whitney - This is the one I'm most afraid of. He is overdue for a let down year, and we really need his production.

Cole - Is only 30. I'm not sure why you had him on this list

Guys that we should expect improvement

Staal - People forget how young he is because he's been on the team since he was 18, but he is only 24 now, and is still theoretically a couple years from his expected peak production.

Pitkanen - Is only 25. Most D-men are just breaking into the league at 25

Gleason - Is only 26

Cam Ward - He has shown steady improvement every year, and is only 25 as well.

Sounds like about a wash to me.

So are you completely counting out any possible prospects making the team in Sept? There were a few that came pretty close last year if it wasnt for too much depth at certain positions.

My question is why bring back every single forward we had from last year if we are planning on giving our young prospects a chance to prove they are ready to make a difference for the Canes in the NHL. Now if they want to do this our expensive roster players such as Eaves, Walker, and Brind'Amour will be sitting on the bench.

Amen. People here forget so easily about how far we got just a couple of months ago. Next season we'll have almost the same exact team, except our star players will be a year better and everybody will be motivated to get past the ECFs. I look forward to seeing if there will be any new faces, but if not, then JR will bring back the same players and we'll be set.

I know history tells us that after a deep playoff run things will go south for a few years, but I just don't see that happening this time around. Have faith people...seriously just have some faith.

EDIT: And as TSA has said, JR is one of the best and most screwed GMs of any sport, so don't count him out or wonder about his timing on things. JR has everything under control. We should all know that by now.

Going into next year with the same forwards is different than going in with the same team. We are losing our whole third defensive pairing. You honestly think that Kaberle+Rookie are a suitable replacement for Wallin+Seids/Babs? Very far from it in my opinion.

My question is why bring back every single forward we had from last year if we are planning on giving our young prospects a chance to prove they are ready to make a difference for the Canes in the NHL. Now if they want to do this our expensive roster players such as Eaves, Walker, and Brind'Amour will be sitting on the bench.

IMO we shouldn't be giving them a chance until next year, a year in the AHL will help all of them develop further. Next year a lot of contracts for some older players are up (Walker, Corvo, Kabs, Whitney, and some others probably), and that is the year we give our prospects a shot. Next year we will have plenty of space to bring up the rookies, because I don't see us bringing back many of those who are leaving since they will be relatively old.

IMO we shouldn't be giving them a chance until next year, a year in the AHL will help all of them develop further. Next year a lot of contracts for some older players are up (Walker, Corvo, Kabs, Whitney, and some others probably), and that is the year we give our prospects a shot. Next year we will have plenty of space to bring up the rookies, because I don't see us bringing back many of those who are leaving since they will be relatively old.

Fair enough. Another season in the AHL certainly wouldn't hurt them but you can never know if they are really NHL ready until training camps. Plus JR has been going on and on all of last month about really giving the prospects a chance to show that they are ready to come up and play for the Canes this offseason. They are even being sent off to Detroit's rookie camp to get even more face time.

The only forwards up for FA next season are Whitney, Cullen, and Walker. Whitney is getting old but I fear they will be pressured re-sign him despite our need to develop our young talent just because he is a fan favorite like Larose. Cullen will not be that old and we could let him go but I don't know if it would necessarily benefit us. Walker will definitely be gone so there is one offensive spot. On defense Kaberle, Wallin, and Corvo are up. Kaberle and Wallin will be leaving and hopefully they will resign Corvo and an actual proven Defensive Defenseman if they can't manage to somehow pick one up this season so there is one defensive spot. Not really the plethora of roster space that everyone makes it out to be.

Yep, every other team in the Southeast has made moves to make their team better. We have done nothing but lose people. Lets wait a few months to start making predictions though.

Who have we lost? Jokinen, Cole, Ryan, Dwyer and LaRose have all resigned. Considering we made the Conference finals last year whats to say we need to make any changes?

Tampa Bay is probably still going to be in hockey purgatory no matter what they do, Atlanta and Florida have added small pieces..Washington hasnt made any moves that I see.

Who have we lost? Jokinen, Cole, Ryan, Dwyer and LaRose have all resigned. Considering we made the Conference finals last year whats to say we need to make any changes?

Tampa Bay is probably still going to be in hockey purgatory no matter what they do, Atlanta and Florida have added small pieces..Washington hasnt made any moves that I see.

Uhhh Seidenberg and Babchuk? 1/3 of our defense from last year with no replacements in sight? Do you think Defense doesn't contribute to success?

And Atlanta added a first line winger in Antropov, Washington a 1st-2nd line winger in Knuble.

Uhhh Seidenberg and Babchuk? 1/3 of our defense from last year with no replacements in sight? Do you think Defense doesn't contribute to success?

And Atlanta added a first line winger in Antropov, Washington a 1st-2nd line winger in Knuble.

Just because those two haven't signed yet doesn't mean they are gone. Until they sign with another team we havent lost anyone.

Did you consider the fact that maybe they don't want to play here anymore? Babchuk is restricted, so he either plays for us or plays for no one (or bolts to russia again and loses his rights)...

No replacements? I know they may not have the stats, but what about Borer, Conboy, Rodney, Carson, McBain, Jordan all in the pipeline.

Yes, defense is a big contributor, Denis had 25 assists, Babs had 16 goals and a +13.. but what good does it do if they sit on the bench because they refuse to play for us? Let them walk and sign someone else.

Antropov is big, slow and way overpaid. Florida and Atlanta have upgraded themselves marginally and Washington got Knuble who is no doubt going to improve the team, but we were a better and more complete team than Washington at the end of the season and this year will only add on another year of development for Staal and Wardo. Also we'll have Jokinen for a full season and Brindamour can't really get any worse so I can see him improving and our team improving because of it.

I know losing Babs may hurt considering he had a +13, but with Borer, Rodney and Carson ready for a spot next year potentially we should be able to replace him on the defensive side of things pretty easily. Seidenberg is the one who I was actually glad he was leaving eariler in the offseason because I thought JR would go after another defenseman. Losing Seids will hurt if we don't find someone who can realistically take his place, but that may be out of our hands.

Antropov is big, slow and way overpaid. Florida and Atlanta have upgraded themselves marginally and Washington got Knuble who is no doubt going to improve the team, but we were a better and more complete team than Washington at the end of the season and this year will only add on another year of development for Staal and Wardo. Also we'll have Jokinen for a full season and Brindamour can't really get any worse so I can see him improving and our team improving because of it.

I know losing Babs may hurt considering he had a +13, but with Borer, Rodney and Carson ready for a spot next year potentially we should be able to replace him on the defensive side of things pretty easily. Seidenberg is the one who I was actually glad he was leaving eariler in the offseason because I thought JR would go after another defenseman. Losing Seids will hurt if we don't find someone who can realistically take his place, but that may be out of our hands.

Agreed. At least with Babs we hold all the cards, but with Seidenberg the cards are in his, and his agent's hands.

I just thought about this. The fact that we have Carson, Rodney, and Borer all competing for the last open slot on our defense can really benefit our team. All 3 of those guys know they are going to have to have a great camp, and outshine the other two to make the team. And whoever does end up making the team knows that he better play good or he could easily be replaced by one of the other two guys who are just waiting to take his spot.

knuble replaced fedorov and kozlov. so that is not an upgrade really. flordia lost Jbo and replaced him with decent players so they did ok.