The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

It's Anniversary Day

Still remember that night like it was yesterday. Best thing I've ever witnessed in the RBC. I've seen Super Bowls, World Series, national championship games in college football but nothing compares to how happy I was to win that Cup.

sigh....

I am already ready for hockey to return.

:(

300_77668.jpg

nhl06.jpg

Not that any of you needed those pictures to remember why this day is significant, but they're enjoyable to look at. Let's take today to wear anything Canes-related and honor the three-year anniversary of that historic accomplishment! :D

I just had to write the date down here at the office and it hit me. What did everyone do?

Me... I was in the process of selling my house, and I had already either moved or sold most of my stuff, so I watched Game 7, by myself, in my practically empty living room, which at the time consisted of only an entertainment center with nothing but a 19" TV on it, my recliner, and a TV tray. The dining room was empty, the kitchen was empty but the microwave and the fridge.

So when I screamed like a little girl when Justin potted the empty netter, it echoed quite a bit. I ran around the empty house like a lunatic, and my daughter (3 at the time), playing in her bedroom, looked at me like I was crazy, so I told her the significance of what had happened. (She's been a fan ever since.) I grabbed a drink - a stiff drink - and settled in for the ceremonies, and it was a little dusty at the house when Brind'Amour raised the Cup.

I miss J Willy

I kind of thought the same thing when I was looking at that picture. Of all the holdovers we have from that team, the one that sealed the deal is gone.

It was a rollercoaster of a week. I was at the game and two days later I had to put down my 12 year old collie due to cancer. Two months later I went over to my now oldest collies rescue group and brought home 'kota. Life hasn't been the same since then; I knew I was in trouble when "kota started honking the horn at me when I stopped for lunch and was taking too much time to eat.

There's nothing like suffering with your team when they're the bottom of the barrel and then watching them win the Stanley Cup only a season later, probably one of the most satisfying moments of my sports watching life.

I had just moved to Raleigh from Houston and was miserable-I missed my friends and my house and was having the hardest time breaking into the groups at school (junior year is a hard time to move). But that team and that run gave me something to look forward to and discuss with people at school. That night I watched sitting on my living room floor, not really understanding the whole game (I confess-I looked up icing) or even knowing who was who (when they had the parade, I didn't even recognize the guys without facial hair), but I was amazed at how loud the crowd was and how they stood the entire game. It was one of the best nights I'd had since moving to Raleigh. I don't know about y'all but I really want a repeat of that night soon. :)

The thrill of a cup run is special. Still exciting after 3 years. Have all the games on DVD. Lots of favorites. Nick winning it in OT against Brodeur is one of my favs. How many of you fans left after the Devils scored with about 30 seconds to go? Only to run back in when Staal tied it up with 3 seconds left.

I had just turned 18 the day before, I remember wishing for a Canes win the next day, and leading up to the game was real nervous because, 1. We coulda put them away in game 5, and 2. I had the feeling that if we didn't get this done, we may not have the chance again to get back in the SC Finals for a while, and that hangover of not winning would take a heavy toll.

I invited a couple of buddies over, I got real nervous when it started but cooled down when Ward scored early. The 3rd period when Pisani scored early seemed like forever to me. But when Cam stopped either Pisani or Torres on that pad stop, that's when I knew we had this. We started going insane when Williams put in the empty netter. First time I got to see one of my beloved sports teams win it all, I think I might of cried a bit. Oh yeah, and glad one of ours got the Conn Smythe too, because Pisani could've gotten it.

Afterwards we went out for a few minutes driving around Charlotte, but the place for the most part was dead and no one was out. So we went back to my house and tuned into News14Carolina, they were airing live footage from ABC11 in the RBC parking lots, so we called a couple of friends in Raleigh who were in a resturant near NCSU watching the action, and all I can say about that was "Wish we were there". If the 'Canes ever do win it all again, Charlotte is not the place to be. Good times at least, and hard to believe it's been three years!

Now if the 'Mavs and Pack would win it all.............................

I was sitting in the floor, feet away from the TV with 4 of my best friends. When Justin potted that EN, we just went nuts. Chest bumping, screaming, running around outside. After we won the cup and saw the ceremonies, we drove to the local park and jumped the fence, and dove head first fully clothed into the pool. We figured we had to do something memorable to keep the memory alive.

Little did I know, I would not and will not ever forget how that empty net goal felt, and I still watch footage of it on youtube and get chills every time. Happy Anny Canes. It will be ours again.

I went to the game that night and like everyone else never sat down. I became a fan the season before they went to the finals in '02 and went to Game 3 of the finals that year. My Hurricane fever died a bit over the next 2 years and was almost absent during the lockout year, I didn't keep up with hardly any of the signings during the lockout because after 2 horrible seasons and then no hockey for a year I didn't care at all anymore.

That changed after the first 3 or 4 games of '06. That team took us on such an incredible ride that I doubt anyone, no matter how big or small of a Canes fan, will ever forget. I went Game 2, 5 and 7 of the finals that year and lost my voice numerous times. Seeing those pictures makes me realize how much I miss guys like Stiller, Williams, K Adams, Wesley, etc. I mean no matter how much they were down by, you always felt they'd be able to pull out the win. I felt like that a bit this year through the end of the season and first two rounds of the playoffs, but we ran out of gas. The thing about that '06 team was that we had a 3rd line that could match up with other team's top lines. It is just too bad that so many guys, like Stillman, seemed to just hit a wall after that season and were riddled with injuries after that. I feel like we may have that feeling again in the next few years, but no one will ever really know until we see if these young guns are the real deal.

I didn't get to celebrate like I wanted to that night, but I dream of another situation like that so I can go absolutely nuts. I'll never forget the ride that team took us on, and the way hockey was fully embraced in the Triangle and how it seemed that run helped the franchise gain some credibility around the league, how 'Redneck Hockey' stole the show in 2006.

I watched in a kitchen at a summer camp i was working at, missed the first period, put all the 1st and 2nd graders to sleep, then only hours later woke them up screaming that we won the cup, I'll never forget that little tv and the aluminum foil it took to get me that fuzzy picture, needless to say, I've probly watched it 20-30 times since then to relive the excitement, actually, I'm gonna go watch it again now. Beautiful day.

I had a stanely cup poster given to me for christmas. I knew the year we were having and said thank you but almost jumped outta my seat to avoid touching it. I dunno whyI was that superstitious it was a picture of the cup after all.

I had great enjoyment in putting the picture of the cup up the night we won. I did some fist pumping when I realized we won, after all I never cheer for teams that win. Redskins, Canes and Rangers fan.... lots of sad years from the Skins and Rags.

I went to all the playoff games with a guy I was dating at the time. His best friend normally sat with him, but he said I could have his seat any time i wanted it........ unless they went to Game 7 in the last series. I was new to hockey and didn't have a clue what he was talking about, just nodded and said SURE.

So I went to all the games........ and when it came time for Game 7 on 6/19/06, I found out what he meant. I sat at home and watched it, it was the first game i had missed of the playoffs.

But I still cry every time I see a clip from it. Like a baby....

Now I'm a die-hard Caniac, pay for my own seat (full season), haven't missed a game since. I won't ever miss another game 7, you can bet on that.

Had bought a mini bottle of champagne...just in case...nervous all day. Ate my spicy pork rinds. As it got closer to the end of the 3rd...most of the last period actaully, I stood in front of my TV. My wife was laughing at me. When we won I started jumping and holloring. I hoised my blow-up Stanley Cup over my head - after donning a jersey - My wife joined in the celebration I ran upstairs and woke my son and let him watch some of the festivities. Almost forgot the champagne. He went back to bed and we drank a glass each. I still have the bottle....lol. I was fortunate enough to see the cup 2X and actually touch and kiss it. AWESOME summer.

I went to all the playoff games that year, at least those I was in town for.. Game 7 vs. Buffalo I felt nervous enough to throw up.. same feeling for Game 7 vs. Edmonton. We had to park fairly far away, so I thought on the way in it would be a close game, but i would take 3-1.

Stood the whole game, yelled and jumped up and down when Willie scored. I could not believe they had done it. Only other time I have watched my team win a championship in person was the year before when App St. won the first of their titles.

Came out and my ears were ringing from the noise. What a night!

I am loving all the responses in this thread... it's so fun to reflect on that night and all of the great memories it had. It'll be even better the next time, since I am now a true Caniac and can really enjoy it. :)

Nice...for some reason they still have a lot of those...they gave a bunch out during the PIT game in early April. About half went to PIT fans. :(

Where/how did you win it?

We had just moved down to Myrtle Beach in September-leaving our season tickets behind and forced to watch the entire season on Center Ice- after the final game we were both jumping around the house screaming and yelling we won we won!-all our neighbors thought we had lost our minds Im sure-but over the years now they have kind of followed the Canes through us and kept up with how the team is doing because of our enthusiasm---we always fly our 2006 Cup Champs house flag during the season!!!!