The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
spiz

Ruutu filing for Salary Arbitration

As for those who think that Ruutu will be the one being traded for a Top-4 Dman, I don't see the reasoning behind this. :\ I mean, I understand that I'm pretty biased here and everyone knows that Ruutu is my favorite player, but I just don't see that being a SMART move by JR. And JR knows that it would be stupid. And you all know that it would be stupid.

As for those who think that Ruutu will be the one being traded for a Top-4 Dman, I don't see the reasoning behind this. :\ I mean, I understand that I'm pretty biased here and everyone knows that Ruutu is my favorite player, but I just don't see that being a SMART move by JR. And JR knows that it would be stupid. And you all know that it would be stupid.

Hmmm... And it was just last year that the overwhelming opinion was to trade Cole for a top 4 defenseman. And now we have 2 hard hitting power forwards, not one.

I'm not so sure the opinion is going to be unanimous that it would be a stupid move.

Hmmm... And it was just last year that the overwhelming opinion was to trade Cole for a top 4 defenseman. And now we have 2 hard hitting power forwards, not one.

I'm not so sure the opinion is going to be unanimous that it would be a stupid move.

Honestly, I feel there's more of an upside to keeping Ruutu rather than Cole, but JR is too much of a Cole fan. Cole has one move and that's skating really fast up the wing and cutting to the goal. After a while, d-men catch on...

I'd like to know why you and others believe Ruutu should be the odd man out in this situation after all the effort he's given us this season.

Honestly, I feel there's more of an upside to keeping Ruutu rather than Cole, but JR is too much of a Cole fan. Cole has one move and that's skating really fast up the wing and cutting to the goal. After a while, d-men catch on...

I'd like to know why you and others believe Ruutu should be the odd man out in this situation after all the effort he's given us this season.

I don't believe he should be the odd man out based on his effort. I didn't think Cole should have been last season either. I honestly don't think anyone should be the odd man out based on the effort they give.

"Deserves got nothing to do with it" - The Unforgiven

But the reality is always that someone has to go when we are talking about trades. So everything being equal in the trade game, you have to try and buy low, sell high to win. Ruutu doesn't deserve to go, but he could qualify as someone who's current value is going to draw decent return.

You know we've gone over this a million times. We can't trade the guys we want to dump, we have to trade guys that someone wants.

Personally, I want Ruutu to stay. But I wanted Cole to stay too.

Finally, if it were me, I would just sign Ruu and let the young guys from Albany fight it out for the last couple of D spots and hope for the best. But my comment was a response to your comment on trading Ruu for a top 4 Dman "you all know that would be stupid". I'm positive that not everyone will agree with that.

LaRose did it last year, but he only was worth 875k at the time. Ruutu is worth WAY more than that, so I'm not too comfortable right now. Oh well. Whatever happens, happens.

Well I don't know much about this arbitration thing, but I would be stunned if Ruutu went anywhere.

He did have a dissapointing playoffs with the same point total as Brindy and Bayda, but during the regular season he was our 3rd leading scorer after Whitney and Staal. He hits like no one else on this team, the same team that JR has said he wants to add size and physicality to for a while now.

He has an infectiously positive attitude to boot. Ruutu is FAR more valuable than Cole, and while I have grown to love LaRose more every year, Ruutu is more valuable than LaRose. So it would make zero sense to sign Cole and LaRose and then let Ruutu walk. It won't happen.

If we get Babchuk back we can bring up our Carsons/Borers etc of the world to fill the last dman spot. I could even see a trade of one of our many undersized 2-3rd line forwards later in the year or a trade deadline pickup on defense if we look playoff bound.

JR will sign Ruutu and we will go into the year with the same team minus Seids. I still think that we need another first line foward, but we will clearly have to make a big trade for that to happen and that looks pretty unlikely. Letting Ruutu go is even less likely.

LaRose did it last year, but he only was worth 875k at the time. Ruutu is worth WAY more than that, so I'm not too comfortable right now. Oh well. Whatever happens, happens.

LaRose filed but he never made it to his arbitration date. He filed on the deadline July 5th and was signed July 9th.

In the Whalers/Canes history, JR has gone to arbitration once with Jeff O'Neil. I'd be surprised if Ruutu gets there.

Ruutu gets signed, JR trades for a D-man.

I'd be willing to put money on that happening. Ruutu signing will give us 12 forwards on one way contracts for next season. That doesn't include Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman, etc. Some of that money will need to go to defense.

I'd be willing to put money on that happening. Ruutu signing will give us 12 forwards on one way contracts for next season. That doesn't include Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman, etc. Some of that money will need to go to defense.

I think a package of Eaves, Kaberle, and dangermouse might be tempting for some GM.

Ruutu gets signed, JR trades for a D-man.

Maybe, but it won't be Ruutu that gets traded unless we get back a 25 goal scorer who can hit, but then why bother? No way do we trade Ruutu for a defenseman.

If one of our young guns impress, then we can definitely make such a move, but I would think we wait to see what happens over that 10 game window before moving forwards for dmen. Now moving a couple of forwards/picks for a 1st line winger...

I think a package of Eaves, Kaberle, and dangermouse might be tempting for some GM.

To pull that one off, you may have to substitute a pick or a prospect (not named Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman or McBain) for dangermouse.

To pull that one off, you may have to substitute a pick or a prospect (not named Sutter, Boychuk, Bowman or McBain) for dangermouse.

dangermouse would argue that point, he says he is just a post or two away from a $3mil contract!! LOL

Maybe, but it won't be Ruutu that gets traded unless we get back a 25 goal scorer who can hit, but then why bother? No way do we trade Ruutu for a defenseman.

If one of our young guns impress, then we can definitely make such a move, but I would think we wait to see what happens over that 10 game window before moving forwards for dmen. Now moving a couple of forwards/picks for a 1st line winger...

I didn't suggest Ruutu would be traded. I am saying JR signs Ruutu prior to his arbitration hearing and makes a trade for another defensemen. Logic would dictate that trade would likely involve an existing forward given we are all ready down a top 4 d-man (Seids and\or Babs), prospects and\or picks. Regardless, the sitution is playing out where one of our prospects will make the team along with a rat or two (particularly on D).

Ruutu wants to stay here, JR wants him to. Within the next calendar week, he'll sign for 3 years somewhere in the $9-11M total range.

It really is a simple business decision - both parties want the same thing and have time to work it out, so it hasn't been a priority. Filing for arbitration was a formality to keep the paperwork i's dotted and t's crossed. The UFA's deals needed hammering out last week. This one has been able to sit around and wait, which is what happened.

Once Ruutu signs, we'll move to talking trade. Remember also that there is a salary floor of ~$16M less than the cap, which would put it around $41M this year. There are some teams up against it who need to take on salary for the coming season - Isles, Phoenix, Nashville. To those teams, a contract like Kaberle's is an attractive option since they wouldn't be tying up money beyond next year. With tools like Eaves, Kaberle, and Babchuk's contracts to work with, a trade for a #4 Dman starts to take shape.

Ruutu wants to stay here, JR wants him to. Within the next calendar week, he'll sign for 3 years somewhere in the $9-11M total range.

It really is a simple business decision - both parties want the same thing and have time to work it out, so it hasn't been a priority. Filing for arbitration was a formality to keep the paperwork i's dotted and t's crossed. The UFA's deals needed hammering out last week. This one has been able to sit around and wait, which is what happened.

Once Ruutu signs, we'll move to talking trade. Remember also that there is a salary floor of ~$16M less than the cap, which would put it around $41M this year. There are some teams up against it who need to take on salary for the coming season - Isles, Phoenix, Nashville. To those teams, a contract like Kaberle's is an attractive option since they wouldn't be tying up money beyond next year. With tools like Eaves, Kaberle, and Babchuk's contracts to work with, a trade for a #4 Dman starts to take shape.

Great post that outlines the bigger picture!!

Excellent post! If JR can move Melichar and Brookbank for Jokinen, he can (probably) find somebody willing to take Kabs, especially if he's packaged with, say, Eaves.

You really think Ruutu will sign for 3 years? I think JR would do it if he could, but that would include Ruutu's first 2 years of UFA eligibility. I think JR will be lucky to get 2 years and not just 1. I also think the cap hit from a 3 year contract might be more than he can afford to take on right now. Even if the contract is backloaded, the cap hit would be in the $3.5-3.75 mil range. I only see that happening if JR has moved someone else first, or PK opens up the pursestrings a bit more. Have to watch that revenue sharing limit also.

Good point. Since filing the arbitration prevents other teams from throwing their money at Ruutu, it shows he wants to stay here. He could have taken an offer sheet from somewhere else and either moved on, or forced the Canes to match it. Hopefully he'll get a deal both him and the team can live with.

You weren't kidding about some of those other teams. The Islanders are sitting at only 35 million right now, they have a bunch of unsigned UFAs. Phoenix is sitting at 38 million and Nashville at 38.8. Ironic to think about a team needing to ADD salary, when this time of year a lot of teams are trying to shed salary.

Excellent post! If JR can move Melichar and Brookbank for Jokinen, he can (probably) find somebody willing to take Kabs, especially if he's packaged with, say, Eaves.

You really think Ruutu will sign for 3 years? I think JR would do it if he could, but that would include Ruutu's first 2 years of UFA eligibility. I think JR will be lucky to get 2 years and not just 1. I also think the cap hit from a 3 year contract might be more than he can afford to take on right now. Even if the contract is backloaded, the cap hit would be in the $3.5-3.75 mil range. I only see that happening if JR has moved someone else first, or PK opens up the pursestrings a bit more. Have to watch that revenue sharing limit also.

I do think he'll sign for a few years for one main reason - security. It's a dangerous game for everyone, but even more for the guys who play the way Ruutu does. Taking $10M now gives him a few years to continue showing improvement and durability while also providing a large degree of financial stability. A one year contract doesn't do that. A one year contract puts his financial future at risk every time he takes the ice. If you were his agent, which would you rather him sign - a one year deal that gets you a commission this year on his likely ~3M salary with the hope that he continues to improve, stays healthy headed into next year's off-season, and hoping the cap doesn't go down? There's a lot of risk in that, and most financiers right now are more risk averse than they've been in years. You're gambling on his continued health and economical stability one year from now. The alternative is a ~3 year deal worth $10M now. You triple your commission, your player and your pocketbook are protected, and he still in a position to be looking for a big contract in a few years if all goes well.

Also, I cannot see JR heading into next offseason with Corvo, Ruutu, Whitney, Cullen, and Walker all being UFAs while at the same time Cam Ward will be an RFA.

I'm guessing Ruutu signs for 3 years, maybe 2. No way can I see 1, and I doubt the agent/Ruutu are interested in 4. I see the likelihood of years being 3, then 2, then 4, then 1. But I'm just guessing, obviously.

QUOTE (caniac97 @ Jul 7 2009, 10:35 AM)

I think...

Really? You like Eaves that much?

Come on man the guy only scored 4 goals last year and we pay him a cool million. 4 goals!

Wow, 3 full pages about Ruutu just filing for arbitration? Glad none of us are doing the actual negotiating :lol:

No kidding. I'm a "that's my final offer" kind of person. Generally shoot myself in the foot.

Thank goodness no one is moaning for another "offensive, puck moving defenseman anymore". Been there, done that, didn't work.

Ruutu Vs. Cole? I would take Ruutu every time.

Ditto.

I think...

...therefore, I am.

QUOTE (caniac97 @ Jul 7 2009, 10:35 AM)

Really? You like Eaves that much?

Come on man the guy only scored 4 goals last year and we pay him a cool million. 4 goals!

Eaves has weathered the injury bug, which hit hard in 2007. He's the same age as Parisi. I fairly confident that Eaves will be a 20 goal scorer again.

And that's my final answer.

I didn't realize there was a salary floor and there were teams flirting with it. Its not like Kabs is worthless, he's an overpaid (not ridiculously overpaid) 3rd line defenseman. If someone does need to add salary to reach the floor, he wouldn't be a bad option to look into. One, he can play a little. Two, his contract is up after this year. That combination might be attractive to some GM... At least that and another player with potential.

I see all these names flying around and people talking about needing a tough defenseman. Has everyone forgotten that Conboy is on a one-way this season? He is as tough as they come and can play 'O' or 'D'. Personally, I would hate to lose Conboy but he could be a bargaining chip too.