The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Philippe Paradis our 1st round pick at #27

with size and a 96 mph shot and good wheels im wondering what this kid doesnt do well that got him ranked in the 40's. Everything sounds great but there has to be something missing otherwise he has the tools of a top prospect. Maybe its his production but we will see he was on a team with alot of big time scorers who wont be there next year so we will find out alot next year.

How much of a chance does he have to play for the big club next year? I know very few move straight into it besides the first 2 or 3 picks. Will he spend time in Albany or do we need him here on the 4th line? I felt like last year a few of our fourth line players like Dwyer and Bowman moved up too early and didn't really belong up here. I think they came up for emergencies like injuries, but it seemed like they floundered and had trouble. If he's ready that's great, but I would hate to slow down a great prospects development just to have him play 2 minutes a night of fourth line duty, when he could be playing 20 minutes a night of 2nd/3rd line in albany.

How much of a chance does he have to play for the big club next year? I know very few move straight into it besides the first 2 or 3 picks. Will he spend time in Albany or do we need him here on the 4th line? I felt like last year a few of our fourth line players like Dwyer and Bowman moved up too early and didn't really belong up here. I think they came up for emergencies like injuries, but it seemed like they floundered and had trouble. If he's ready that's great, but I would hate to slow down a great prospects development just to have him play 2 minutes a night of fourth line duty, when he could be playing 20 minutes a night of 2nd/3rd line in albany.

I would guess he doesn't make the team, but maybe he has an outstanding camp/preseason. Also he's either making the Canes or his junior team, because he's not 20 yet so he can't play in the AHL.

so no one has any idea why he wasnt rated higher?

Playing fewer minutes on the 3rd line in his stacked junior team and as a result he didn't score much.

Similar reasons we were able to pick Mike Murphy in 6th round and Bowman in the 3rd.

There is a hope he'll be playing top minutes next year and this pick will look like a steal.

and to answer another poster - there is absolutely 0% chance he'll be in the big club. It will take another 3-5 years before he has a clear chance to get on Canes roster if he develops nicely.

How much of a chance does he have to play for the big club next year?

I doubt he is ready. Plus, he'd have to beat Bowman, Boychuk or Sutter for any open slots in the roster, I would imagine. I expect that they are considered NHL ready(ier) than him.

yea i saw that he played on a team that had 4-5 30 goal guys who are aging out. including pistilli that we signed so i assume the canes had a good picture of what this guy can do since they signed his team mate.

I doubt he is ready. Plus, he'd have to beat Bowman, Boychuk or Sutter for any open slots in the roster, I would imagine. I expect that they are considered NHL ready(ier) than him.

I figured as much but it was worth asking... they draft them so early, very few jump straight to the NHL besides the #1 overall and maybe the top 3 or 4...