The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

You really dont feel any of those 3 are ready? I think Carson and Borer could both handle being on the 3rd pairing. You gotta take a chance sometime. We got real issues up front that money could address.

That's the problem though. By losing D-berg, we lose a #4 defenseman and we replace him with a 3rd pairing defenseman (whether that be Babs, Wallin or one of the AHL callups), thus, our defense as a whole becomes weaker.

At least, that's what I believe he's saying. Personally, I think Babchuk played fine as a #4, as long as you have someone who can mesh with him well (see: Pitkanen) on that pairing as well.

That's the problem though. By losing D-berg, we lose a #4 defenseman and we replace him with a 3rd pairing defenseman (whether that be Babs, Wallin or one of the AHL callups), thus, our defense as a whole becomes weaker.

At least, that's what I believe he's saying. Personally, I think Babchuk played fine as a #4, as long as you have someone who can mesh with him well (see: Pitkanen) on that pairing as well.

Exactly.

I'm actually fine with Babchuk on the second pairing provided he can play like he did in the second half. But then you have to replace Babchuk on the third pairing with likely someone significantly worse.

As for our four main D prospects that are either signed for next season or RFAs:

Borer - coming off two serious injuries (knee and neck).

Rodney - not a very good prospect in my opinion. Wasn't even an AHL regular until this season and is actually a month older than Babchuk.

Carson - 6'4" and can skate, but I see him as more of a third-pairing guy.

McBain - definitely has the highest upside of any of our D prospects, but is also the youngest (21) and could use a season in the AHL.

I dunno, I doubt he'll trade for one but I wouldnt be surprised if we sign a D-man this offseason, he signs a d-man even when we dont need one so.

We did at one point this year have 3 AHL D-men play in the same game. I am just not worried about our defense. For once I think we actually have talent in our depth ranks for a position. Granted Toronto did come back in that game in bad fashion, however 3 rookies on one defense thats going to happen. I am not worried about having a guy making his rookie debut with 5 experienced d-men around him.

Having a bailout plan if that doesnt work is always good but all in all I think that plan would be Kabs, we cant get rid of him and he's not over the top terrible he's just way overpaid for the minutes he's capable of playing without killinng you. He's just not a d-man you wanna give big minutes.

Kabs isn't awful but he isn't Seids either. If he stays I think we use him a little more then last year

but in the same kind of role.

You really dont feel any of those 3 are ready? I think Carson and Borer could both handle being on the 3rd pairing. You gotta take a chance sometime. We got real issues up front that money could address.

One of our Dmen from Albany could make the jump this year. I just think we want to give most of the young talent

another year in Albany. So I think we shop.

I dunno, I doubt he'll trade for one but I wouldnt be surprised if we sign a D-man this offseason, he signs a d-man even when we dont need one so.

We did at one point this year have 3 AHL D-men play in the same game. I am just not worried about our defense. For once I think we actually have talent in our depth ranks for a position. Granted Toronto did come back in that game in bad fashion, however 3 rookies on one defense thats going to happen. I am not worried about having a guy making his rookie debut with 5 experienced d-men around him.

Having a bailout plan if that doesnt work is always good but all in all I think that plan would be Kabs, we cant get rid of him and he's not over the top terrible he's just way overpaid for the minutes he's capable of playing without killinng you. He's just not a d-man you wanna give big minutes.

Kabs isn't awful but he isn't Seids either. If he stays I think we use him a little more then last year

but in the same kind of role.

One of our Dmen from Albany could make the jump this year. I just think we want to give most of the young talent

another year in Albany. So I think we shop.

Everyone forgets that Chad was cut twice by Detroit, he doesn't want to play for them.

The fact that he was cut twice means he really wanted to play for them. Don't think that would change.

The fact that he was cut twice means he really wanted to play for them. Don't think that would change.

He was an undrafted free agent, he wanted to play for anyone. And I have a memory of him talking about who he was cheering for 2 years ago in the finals and he made a comment about Detroit cutting him twice.

As far as Chad goes, I'm sure if Detroit had a significantly better offer, he'd go there with no problems about being cut before. The idea that a player would hold a grudge against a team for something like that or should give a team a big home team discount is what fan's think, not players.

As far as the Seids deal goes, yes he probably has played his way into being a number 4 defenseman. The problem with the Canes is that we have too many "really nice" players and not enough "really good" players. We have too many 2nd and 3rd line wingers and not enough 1st liners. Defense is the same way. Does keeping Seids at a contract that we can't afford make sense. I like Seids, but he's done a good job of keeping a spot warm until someone in the system develops enough to contribute. Any extra money spent on Seids is money that won't be available for the next 2 or 3 years to get the winger we want or the shutdown defenseman (which Seids is not).

As far as Chad goes, I'm sure if Detroit had a significantly better offer, he'd go there with no problems about being cut before. The idea that a player would hold a grudge against a team for something like that or should give a team a big home team discount is what fan's think, not players.

As far as the Seids deal goes, yes he probably has played his way into being a number 4 defenseman. The problem with the Canes is that we have too many "really nice" players and not enough "really good" players. We have too many 2nd and 3rd line wingers and not enough 1st liners. Defense is the same way. Does keeping Seids at a contract that we can't afford make sense. I like Seids, but he's done a good job of keeping a spot warm until someone in the system develops enough to contribute. Any extra money spent on Seids is money that won't be available for the next 2 or 3 years to get the winger we want or the shutdown defenseman (which Seids is not).

I think your right. If the offer were right and Chad felt good about going he would take a Red Wings offer. I just don't see the fit for Chad or for the Wings.

As for Seids it doesn't make sense to to pay 3 to 4 mil. To much money that I agree could be spent getting the Dman

you really want or using the money for players you need to sign. But does that mean if a 3 mil Dman becomes available we won't try to sign him?

I think your right. If the offer were right and Chad felt good about going he would take a Red Wings offer. I just don't see the fit for Chad or for the Wings.

As for Seids it doesn't make sense to to pay 3 to 4 mil. To much money that I agree could be spent getting the Dman

you really want or using the money for players you need to sign. But does that mean if a 3 mil Dman becomes available we won't try to sign him?

The problem is that Seids' money isn't going to be spent on top wingers or shutdown defensemen. It's going to be spent overpaying for second/third line talent like Cole and LaRose.

The problem is that Seids' money isn't going to be spent on top wingers or shutdown defensemen. It's going to be spent overpaying for second/third line talent like Cole and LaRose.

Since when has this team overspent for much of anything? In general we are as frugal as most.

We have not given them anything yet so this would be speculative at best. Larose would definitety be worth 1.8 or so.

I don't see us paying Cole more than 3 mil depending on contract length.

Is less than 5 mil for 2- 2nd/3rd line players really that expensive?

I would only agree with your point if the 2 cost more than 6 mil.

CC

I think the Sens would be a good fit for Cole if it happened. I'm not sure about the Preds though, I could see Cole take a hometown discount sort of thing to stay in Raleigh, but not take much of a discount to go to Nashville and I don't see Nashville spending close to 3.5 or 4 million for Colesy. As much as I like him though, based on his production since '06 I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes invest that 2+ million into another winger with more potential for scoring.

I think the Sens would be a good fit for Cole if it happened. I'm not sure about the Preds though, I could see Cole take a hometown discount sort of thing to stay in Raleigh, but not take much of a discount to go to Nashville and I don't see Nashville spending close to 3.5 or 4 million for Colesy. As much as I like him though, based on his production since '06 I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes invest that 2+ million into another winger with more potential for scoring.

All of a sudden everyone is interested in Cole.. I don't see him with Nashville either but he would be a good fit in Ottawa. If the Sens dump Heatley they will have the money.

All of a sudden everyone is interested in Cole.. I don't see him with Nashville either but he would be a good fit in Ottawa. If the Sens dump Heatley they will have the money.

I think Nashville is just that desperate for any type of potential spark on offense.