The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

Isn't the linked article (blog?) regarding LaRose and Detroit actually explaining why the players (including LaRose) listed by the Detroit Free Press as potential "targets" aren't likely to end up in Detroit? The premise seems to be that the Free Press list ignored what the players would be able to demand: "But the problem involving almost every player listed is simple: they've had the kinds of seasons which merit $2-3 million salaries for grinding players in early July."

The Detroit Free Press includes LaRose, with this description:

Winger Chad LaRose, who brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Fraser in 2006, would be a good addition to the Wings' fourth line. He has nice dashes of grit and scoring touch.

The article seems to be saying that he may be able to get $2.5 million plus from someone, but it's unlikely to be Detroit - especially to fill a cheap fourth-line grinder role, which is basically where the Free Press pegs him.

Plus if Cole is in TN, he isnt far removed from his family in Raleigh.

TN may be the next state over, but it's far from close. One of my siblings just moved there after the season. Non-stop it's a 9-10hr drive, and non-stop it's an hour flight.

Isn't the linked article (blog?) regarding LaRose and Detroit actually explaining why the players (including LaRose) listed by the Detroit Free Press as potential "targets" aren't likely to end up in Detroit? The premise seems to be that the Free Press list ignored what the players would be able to demand: "But the problem involving almost every player listed is simple: they've had the kinds of seasons which merit $2-3 million salaries for grinding players in early July."

Winger Chad LaRose, who brought the Stanley Cup to his hometown of Fraser in 2006, would be a good addition to the Wings' fourth line. He has nice dashes of grit and scoring touch.

The article seems to be saying that he may be able to get $2.5 million plus from someone, but it's unlikely to be Detroit - especially to fill a cheap fourth-line grinder role, which is basically where the Free Press pegs him.

Well, the article begins with "The Detroit Free Press posted a gallery of ten unrestricted free agent forwards of the third-and-fourth-line variety which the Red Wings may target, especially assuming that the $4 million of cap space the Wings have won't allow them to re-sign Jiri Hudler, Mikael Samuelsson, or Marian Hossa (thus, necessitating a little more grit)...

So, according to this article., it's pretty clear these are players Detroit may target.

TN may be the next state over, but it's far from close. One of my siblings just moved there after the season. Non-stop it's a 9-10hr drive, and non-stop it's an hour flight.

Closest team aside from maybe Washington or Atlanta.

Closest team aside from maybe Washington or Atlanta.

If you aren't sleeping in your bed for home games it does not matter how far away does it? I am pretty sure the wives would look at it this way.;)

Well, the article begins with "The Detroit Free Press posted a gallery of ten unrestricted free agent forwards of the third-and-fourth-line variety which the Red Wings may target, especially assuming that the $4 million of cap space the Wings have won't allow them to re-sign Jiri Hudler, Mikael Samuelsson, or Marian Hossa (thus, necessitating a little more grit)...

So, according to this article., it's pretty clear these are players Detroit may target.

Yes, the author of the Free Press article thinks he could be targeted - for the fourth line. But the question the linked article seems to be raising is whether Detroit is willing going to pay him $2.5 million for fourth line, or at that price, would they still be interested? And I wonder if would Detroit pay him any more than the 'Canes will offer, if the spot they would have for him would be on the fourth line? I have a hard time seeing LaRose giving Detroit a discount, while expecting to have less ice time there. If the Free Press article is wrong, and they would consider him for more than fourth line, then the money may make more sense, but that's not what it said. It looks like the Free Press article just looked at what he made this past season, how well he played, and thought Detroit should take a look at him at that price - not considering he isn't likely to sign now at that same price.

Yes, the author of the Free Press article thinks he could be targeted - for the fourth line. But the question the linked article seems to be raising is whether Detroit is willing going to pay him $2.5 million for fourth line, or at that price, would they still be interested? And I wonder if would Detroit pay him any more than the 'Canes will offer, if the spot they would have for him would be on the fourth line? I have a hard time seeing LaRose giving Detroit a discount, while expecting to have less ice time there. If the Free Press article is wrong, and they would consider him for more than fourth line, then the money may make more sense, but that's not what it said. It looks like the Free Press article just looked at what he made this past season, how well he played, and thought Detroit should take a look at him at that price - not considering he isn't likely to sign now at that same price.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The article clearly stated players of the third and fourth line "variety". Therefore, the money would make more sense if LaRose was targeted for third line duties.

I think it's interesting that Chad's listed here, as if he's a semi unknown in the sense that he's not one of the "big names" come July 1 such as Jay Bowmeester. The thing is, I think Chad's an even BIGGER name on the market because of how many teams want his grit, and he's more affordable. Few will be able to offer JayBo what he is looking for and can get, which is the $7mil range last I heard. On the other hand, how many teams can afford $2-2.5 mil?

For all who say Chad isn't worth that, I say look beyond the point totals. Look at the energy he brings to whatever line he plays on. He played on every line this season, and was productive on all of them. He scored shorties, and the difference making goals and assists during the season AND the playoffs. Columbus is said to have him on their radar, and like others, Pittsburgh as well. His style of play would fit in GREAT with both of those organizations, but I'm not sure Pittsburgh has the money. Columbus probably does though, and I'd guess a guy like Commodore would be a strong supporter of him coming there.

As for Detroit? I hope he doesn't go there. I don't see Detroit offering him 2.5 mil, but I could be wrong. He might be from there, but there is no love for the hometown team, and he's been quoted in interviews as such. I recall an interview during a game (possibly Edmonton last fall?) where he said he hated the Wings. Money heals some old wounds, but not all.

As for me, I'm anxiously awaiting July 1.

I think it's interesting that Chad's listed here, as if he's a semi unknown in the sense that he's not one of the "big names" come July 1 such as Jay Bouwmeester. The thing is, I think Chad's an even BIGGER name on the market because of how many teams want his grit, and he's more affordable. Few will be able to offer JayBo what he is looking for and can get, which is the $7mil range last I heard. On the other hand, how many teams can afford $2-2.5 mil?

For all who say Chad isn't worth that, I say look beyond the point totals. Look at the energy he brings to whatever line he plays on. He played on every line this season, and was productive on all of them. He scored shorties, and the difference making goals and assists during the season AND the playoffs. Columbus is said to have him on their radar, and like others, Pittsburgh as well. His style of play would fit in GREAT with both of those organizations, but I'm not sure Pittsburgh has the money. Columbus probably does though, and I'd guess a guy like Commodore would be a strong supporter of him coming there.

As for Detroit? I hope he doesn't go there. I don't see Detroit offering him 2.5 mil, but I could be wrong. He might be from there, but there is no love for the hometown team, and he's been quoted in interviews as such. I recall an interview during a game (possibly Edmonton last fall?) where he said he hated the Wings. Money heals some old wounds, but not all.

As for me, I'm anxiously awaiting July 1.

Chad is not a $2-2.5mil player, no how, no way. If Columbus wants to overpay for him then so be it but if I am JR my final offer is $1.7mil. If he won't take that then let him walk.

Sorry but paying Chad $2-2.5M is overpayment.

If Columbus is interested and they are willing to pay him that (they did overpay Commodore), LaRose is as good as gone. He'll be in Columbus playing with his best friend again.

Chad is not a $2-2.5mil player, no how, no way. If Columbus wants to overpay for him then so be it but if I am JR my final offer is $1.7mil. If he won't take that then let him walk.

I could not agree more. Larose is a fan fav and had a good year but not a $2M plus forward. He is not a puck-handler. Got to love his hard play and hits and hustle but $2Mplus buys skill. When he acts like Staal, he ends up loosing the puck.

I would hate to see him go but I am sure he is looking at how much money he can make before he is trying to stay in Raleigh. I hope fans remember that when he is gone. And I think he is gone.

I could not agree more. Larose is a fan fav and had a good year but not a $2M plus forward. He is not a puck-handler. Got to love his hard play and hits and hustle but $2Mplus buys skill. When he acts like Staal, he ends up loosing the puck.

I would hate to see him go but I am sure he is looking at how much money he can make before he is trying to stay in Raleigh. I hope fans remember that when he is gone. And I think he is gone.

I figured he was gone back in Feb when his future mother-in-law told me that he was going to test the market. That to me sounds like his mind was made up. He's 27, not getting any younger and this is likely the ONLY chance he has at cashing in at $2M or more. He had a decent year and some team with money will over pay for him, he's not a dumb guy. At this point in his career, he almost has to take the money.

Now, if teams are concerned about the cap going down next year, he might not get any better offers. In that case, he'll stay here as his fiance's family is here.

I have been trying to understand why people think he will get $2mil+ from someone this next year. He is quick, but small. He is fast, but light. When he hits, he bounces off the player. He has a mouth, which makes him funny!

He had a record season, but he's 27. At best, he is only worth $1.25 - $1.50 million.

Don't get me wrong, I like Chad. He has heart and emotion. We need that in our organization and I would like to see him back. Of course, like any smuck out there, money is the name of the game.

So, good luck Chad trying out the market. Good luck if you leave the Canes. But know that if you stay, you will be appreciated by the fans.

My .02...which means absolutely nothing! <_<

Scoring 19 goals on the 3rd line is going to get interest whether he can do it again or not theres the teams who will pay him to find out.

If I'm Chad, at 27, and someone offers me 2 mil or more, I have to take it. Like others have said, it is likely his last chance to sign a contract of that magnitude. Can't really blame him for that. Same with Cole.

If I'm Chad, at 27, and someone offers me 2 mil or more, I have to take it. Like others have said, it is likely his last chance to sign a contract of that magnitude. Can't really blame him for that. Same with Cole.

It'll be interesting to see that if after a real pay day for Larose if he's still that fulla heart player. Alot of paydays have come and gone where the player does a 180.

It'll be interesting to see that if after a real pay day for Larose if he's still that fulla heart player. Alot of paydays have come and gone where the player does a 180.

I think Chad will continue to play hard. However, there's no doubt that this was a breakout season for him, as he hadn't scored more than 10 goals before this season. The question isn't whether he'll continue to play hard; the question is whether he can duplicate the scoring. There are teams out there who are likely willing to take a gamble for a 3-year contract that he can do it again, and that appreciate the style of play and the emotion he brings to the game and the locker room.

The question for him has got to be ice time vs. money. On the Canes, he's likely going to be on the #2 line (hopefully) but earning less than $2m per year. Elsewhere he may earn more than $2m per year but might be a 3rd liner.

I think he'll test the market.

From the Fourth Period. Not really new and exciting news but after yesterday's comments from JR about negotiations looking bleek, its interesting that Cole's agent reports that he has yet to have a serious discussion about a new contract yet. This article was posted at 1:30am yesterday and Paul posted his blog entry with JR's response at 1:53pm. Posturing from both sides.

Cole wants to stay in Raleigh

TheFourthPeriod.com 6/25/09

Hurricanes forward Erik Cole returned to Carolina at the trade deadline and played a vital role in the team's late-season run to the Eastern Conference Final.

Cole, 30, made $4 million this past season and will likely have to take a pay cut whether he ends up next year. The seven-year NHL veteran is schedule to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, but would prefer to ink a new deal with the Hurricanes.

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has not yet had any serious conversations with Cole's agent, Steve Bartlett, about a new contract.

Bartlett told TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta he plans on speaking with the Hurricanes in the near future about Cole's future with the team, and dismissed the suggestion that having contracts talks so close to July 1 is any indication that neither party is interested in getting a deal done.

The uncertainty surrounding next season's salary cap, Bartlett indicated, has played a role league-wide in determining which teams plan on re-signing which players.

In Cole's case, he would like to stay with the Hurricanes and the feeling appears to be mutual.

Interesting how quickly some can dismiss 19 NHL goals. This is from a guy who logs a lot of his minutes on the PK and very few on the PP and plays mixed minutes.

LaRose tied for #118 in goals by forwards last year, out of 582 NHL forwards who saw any ice time. 118 may not seem that impressive, but there are 30 teams who have to field about 360 forwards at any one time. The first 90 are first liners. Thus LaRose put up goal numbers consistant with a TOP 2nd liner, and he did it while killing penalties and not seeing serious powerplay time.

I fear we may not be able to keep LaRose, because JR might just have the "plucky energy guy" image too deeply imbedded in his psyche. Of course we must all make our best guess, but I think another 20 goal type season is going to happen, particularly if Chad starts getting some PP time and plays true 2nd line minutes over a prolonged period. I have little doubt. I hope we sign Mr. Chad LaRose.

Quote:

I have been trying to understand why people think he will get $2mil+ from someone this next year. He is quick, but small. He is fast, but light. When he hits, he bounces off the player.

Hey don't you remember the home game where the player on the other team wanted a piece of Chad and went after him only to be flipped off his skates. That happened in front of both benches. I can't remember the game or the player but that was most excellent!

From NHL.com...

On the eve of the official start of unrestricted free agency, Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford said that no progress has been made in negotiations with Erik Cole and Chad LaRose.

"Not optimistic," said Rutherford, adding that he did not have meetings scheduled with the agent for either player before the end of the day.

Rutherford also reiterated his stance that today would be the final day to come to an agreement, and that he would expect both players to move on to other organizations if a deal with Carolina can't be reached.

"If they go into tomorrow then they're obviously making the choice to go somewhere else," he said. "We've given our best offer within our budget to try to keep them, and at this point it doesn't look like it's going to happen."

Looks like Cole and LaRose are being written off by JR. :blink:

Looks like Cole and LaRose are being written off by JR.

given the current economic conditions, if they have a better offer they need to go

http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsindex.htm?navid=NAV|NWS|Main' target="_blank">From NHL.com...[/post]

Looks like Cole and LaRose are being written off by JR. :blink:

If Cole signs a contract for another team, and if Kabs goes to the KHL, that opens up alot of money for the free agency. If that happens, we could go after a big name player. We'll see. I trust JR will make the right choices.

Cole was a bust in Edmonton. I thought he would be reasonable to stay where he fits. I hope JR is prepared to replace him. As for Rosie he had a great year and deserves a raise but not 2 mil. I wish we would have signed them but I wish them the best wherever they land.

Cole was a bust in Edmonton. I thought he would be reasonable to stay where he fits. I hope JR is prepared to replace him. As for Rosie he had a great year and deserves a raise but not 2 mil. I wish we would have signed them but I wish them the best wherever they land.

I totally agree! Cole did not "fit in" in Edmonton. He is best known now for being a setup man for Staal. I think we will see him back if decides to stay in the NHL. Rosie, on the other hand, has improved but I do not think he will get the opportunities he had here. I see him moving on but will only be a PK guy on his next team.

Good luck to them both, where ever they may land!

Just my .02! :rolleyes: