The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

What are the chances of either of them staying here after hitting the open market? I can't see anyone giving LaRose an oveer the top offer so I'd like to think we still have a shot.

What are the chances of either of them staying here after hitting the open market? I can't see anyone giving LaRose an oveer the top offer so I'd like to think we still have a shot.

they will have to renegotiate with JR but he is open, the original offer will be off the table though.

Some interesting development with Cole and Babchuk:

Canes forwards Erik Cole and Chad LaRose, as unrestricted free agents, go on the open market at noon today when the NHL signing period begins.

But for how long?

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that although there are no guarantees, Cole may wind up returning. He said Cole has said he will not drag out the free-agent process.

"Erik is working hard to work with us," Rutherford said. "He'll still go into free agency but has said he will not stay out there long if he does not see a big deal he can get.

"I don't think we're far apart with Erik. We've had several good conversations in the last 24 hours in Erik's case. I see his point of view. He's willing to take a pay cut but wants to see if there's a big deal out there. There's not the same frustration with Erik."

LaRose is coming off a career season in which he scored 19 goals. He was paid $875,000 last season and may be able to secure a better deal on the open market than Carolina has offered.

"I'd like to sign both," Rutherford said. "My position has changed. I only have so much (money) to do it. If we can do it within those numbers, we'll do it."

Another negotiating snag also has developed. Defenseman Anton Babchuk, a restricted free agent, was given a qualifying offer of $1 million

Some interesting development with Cole and Babchuk:

Canes forwards Erik Cole and Chad LaRose, as unrestricted free agents, go on the open market at noon today when the NHL signing period begins.

But for how long?

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford said today that although there are no guarantees, Cole may wind up returning. He said Cole has said he will not drag out the free-agent process.

"Erik is working hard to work with us," Rutherford said. "He'll still go into free agency but has said he will not stay out there long if he does not see a big deal he can get.

"I don't think we're far apart with Erik. We've had several good conversations in the last 24 hours in Erik's case. I see his point of view. He's willing to take a pay cut but wants to see if there's a big deal out there. There's not the same frustration with Erik."

LaRose is coming off a career season in which he scored 19 goals. He was paid $875,000 last season and may be able to secure a better deal on the open market than Carolina has offered.

"I'd like to sign both," Rutherford said. "My position has changed. I only have so much (money) to do it. If we can do it within those numbers, we'll do it."

Another negotiating snag also has developed. Defenseman Anton Babchuk, a restricted free agent, was given a qualifying offer of $1 million

That boy's a few french fries short of a Happy Meal.

and missing a couple of nuggets too!! If he took the deal or tried to get JR to up it to $1.2mil and just suck it up then he would be a UFA next season and be able to command the big bucks. He must have the Russian version of Larry, Curly, and Moe for an agent.

and missing a couple of nuggets too!! If he took the deal or tried to get JR to up it to $1.2mil and just suck it up then he would be a UFA next season and be able to command the big bucks. He must have the Russian version of Larry, Curly, and Moe for an agent.

If Babs has another season where he improves as much as he did this year, he will be able to hit the lottery in free agency next summer. If he goes to Russia, not so much.

I was hoping J.R. would do a 2 year at a little more on Babs.

Babs is a joke! He has a hard shot but that's it. He does not hit, he runs scared, and chokes!!!

I say let the BOY go and bring up Casey Borer! He will be cheaper and at least he has a solid head on his shoulders.

GEEZ... :angry:

That's good news. Makes sense, and has a much better sound about it than previous statements. Erik deserves a chance to see what is out there before taking a big pay cut. Sounds like JR is pretty unhappy with LaRose...but as many have pointed out it's hard to blame him for opting to try to cash in.

We have an issue with Babchuk," Rutherford said.

Link

Gee, I am just shocked at that...head case on and off the ice.

Well, to play devil's advocate, I thought JR would have offered Babchuk some kind of raise. It surprises me everyone is quick to forgets he played pretty well for most of the year. He deserved more than a QO of 1 mil. So, the circus continues.

Well, to play devil's advocate, I thought JR would have offered Babchuk some kind of raise. It surprises me everyone is quick to forgets he played pretty well for most of the year. He deserved more than a QO of 1 mil. So, the circus continues.

JR figures he can either take what he is offered or play in Russia, not a nice way to do things if you want Babs to stay with the team past next season but maybe he doesn't.

it is encouraging to hear that JR and Cole are still trying to work things out. It sounds

like there may be some middle ground. Still iffy but Cole might be back.

Not so sure about LaRose. I think he may be gone.

Babs will probable go to Russia. If he is traded in NHL I hope it is to a SE team. We

should be able to get some nice juicy turnovers when we play against him.

it is encouraging to hear that JR and Cole are still trying to work things out. It sounds

like there may be some middle ground. Still iffy but Cole might be back.

Not so sure about LaRose. I think he may be gone.

Babs will probable go to Russia. If he is traded in NHL I hope it is to a SE team. We

should be able to get some nice juicy turnovers when we play against him.

JR figures he can either take what he is offered or play in Russia, not a nice way to do things if you want Babs to stay with the team past next season but maybe he doesn't.

That's why I was hoping for an offer with a moderate increase. I thought 2 years with a modest increase each year would be appropriate.

What do I know about hockey management? If J.R. tried to tell me how to run my Post Office, I'd probably tell him to take a hike. Now I think I'll take a 5 day hike on the Appalacian Trail.

TSN reporting Cole signs for 2 yrs with Canes....more to come I guess

It's official on the Cane's sight now. I hope he reaches more of his potential next year. I still hope we get a winger for Staal and Cole plays on the second line. Sorry to see Chad go, but I guess he's a longshot now.

Babs will probable go to Russia.

got a source for this? Babs is still a RFA, no? so a "trade - after - arbitration" might happen, but I doubt that simply not jumping at the QA indicates a return to Russia - most RFA's seem to wait for arbitration, or the market to open up for another team to better the QA, and see if they can't get a little bit more... it's really a big game for all involved. I'll bet Cole didn't get any higher offers, so go with the one ya' got. it's a business for the players as well as the teams after all.

got a source for this? Babs is still a RFA, no? so a "trade - after - arbitration" might happen, but I doubt that simply not jumping at the QA indicates a return to Russia - most RFA's seem to wait for arbitration, or the market to open up for another team to better the QA, and see if they can't get a little bit more... it's really a big game for all involved. I'll bet Cole didn't get any higher offers, so go with the one ya' got. it's a business for the players as well as the teams after all.

Babs doesn't get arbitration because he left for Russia. So basically he can accept the qualifying offer (which he shouldn't because JR lowballed him bigtime there, he deserves better after a 16 goal season), be traded, or leave for Russia. I would rather we get him to play for us, but it seems JR still doesn't like him enough to offer him a decent deal. Hopefully we will trade him if he doesn't accept his offer, because although I'd hate to lose him, Id rather get something back than nothing.

Babs doesn't get arbitration because he left for Russia. So basically he can accept the qualifying offer (which he shouldn't because JR lowballed him bigtime there, he deserves better after a 16 goal season), be traded, or leave for Russia. I would rather we get him to play for us, but it seems JR still doesn't like him enough to offer him a decent deal. Hopefully we will trade him if he doesn't accept his offer, because although I'd hate to lose him, Id rather get something back than nothing.

Well said CMS. Babs does deserve something higher, so I disagree with JR's standing...unless he needs the extra money for something else.

Otherwise, JR is just being all high schoolish about Babs...too much past drama not left in the dust.

Re Babs, to quote William Munny, Deserve's got nothing to do with it. If Babs hadn't skipped to Russia he'd have arbitration rights. He needs to suck it up for once in his life. He has talent, but if he still has the attitude, good riddance.

And what attitude did he show this past season?

I say he sucked it up last season. He accepted what was essentially an entry-level contract to play for us last year, and despite his poor play in the playoffs, had a great regular season and earned a raise. To offer him the same amount is just JR holding a grudge.

Babchuk deserved a better offer. I don't hold grudges so I honestly don't care what he did in the past. He should just take the $1Mill and become a UFA next year and rake in a big contract. Also, it's not all Babchuk. His Agent plays a lot into this and the decision on whether or not to take a contract and how much/how long it will be. Everyone is talking about how dumb he is, but I question his Agent and what he's telling Babs.

ahhh... thanks for the clarification... so him leaving for Russia kinda shafted himself out of arbitration (to put it in as few words as possible) didn't know that... that said, I'd hate to see him go... he looked as though he'd finally found a bit of solid footing and could have a "break-out" year next year, or even if he'd stay and continue to improve, that would be nice...

Sorry but I'm with JR on this. Babs had 2 separate hot streaks last season where his goals came from and his good plus minus came from playing against team's lower lines, getting PP minutes and not being called on for PK time.

Ithink he is mentally shaky and I'd rather use the million elsewhere if he doesn't want it. JR absolutely must go out and get a forward or strong d-man elsewhere though or else we'd be wasting money.

I mean take away that one hot streak towards the end of the season and the one at the very end and look at how he played the rest of the majorit of the season and I'm fine with JR standing pat at one million.