The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

Babs's "hot streak" lasted from late December until the end of the season. That's quite a long time for it to be considered a "hot streak".

And you can't compare the beginning of the season to the end of it. First of all, Lavi was coaching, and he certainly wasn't as willing to give Babchuk a chance as much as Maurice was. Babchuk also spent the entire time before this "hot streak" on the 3rd pairing, when his partner was Melichar. Because clearly, when you've got a player who's weakness is his speed, you want to emphasizes that weakness by pairing him with a pylon.

Not surprisingly, the "hot streak" started when he was paired with Pitkanen. Not only did he get more playing time with this pairing, Pitkanen offset any weakness Babchuk had, rather than enhanced it. After the two were paired together, Babchuk put up 30 points in 47 games, including 15 goals. He also went as a +20 during that time span. Pitkanen put up 17 points in those 47 games, and went +12. Hard to argue with the results.

I'm with JR on this one and if Babchuk and his agent would just think, taking the QO is actually pretty damn smart.

1-Half a season doesn't prove anything. He's too spazzy and inconsistent to say he deserves more than $1M. His play in the playoffs wasn't he just had a bad playoffs. He gets to that horrid play way to often.

2-He runs off to Russia the Canes own him forever. He needs the Canes if he is ever going to play in the NHL.

3-Take the freakin QO. Prove that you are improving and that the last half of the season was no fluke. He'll be a UFA and can go wherever he wants and get the payday.

Its no secret that Babchuk and JR don't really care for each other so Babchuk is gone whether its a trade or via Free Agency. He's better off, taking the QO, proving his worth and cashing in at the end.

But if he runs to Russia, you can guarantee JR will have him there for life.

I may be mistaken, but I remember one streak where he began to play well towards the end of 2008 and then his play dipped again for a while to where it was earlier in the season. He then began to play weell again at the end of the regular season. I'm still with JR on this. I wouldn't go over one million if that money can be spent elsewhere on guys who actually want to play for this organization.

You're not mistaken, go to the stats: Link

He had a blip in late Dec - early Jan, but for the most part he turned it up in mid-Feb, same as the rest of the team. And then, of course, there was the playoffs...

The only "blip" is see is the -2 against Boston and the -3 against Ottawa around mid January. Of course, those were part of a 6-game losing streak, so I doubt the entire team was playing well during that stretch. If we can write off his production as "The whole team playing well", then we can write off parts of his bad play as "The whole team playing poorly".

And again, this was Babchuk's first playoff run. No one on defense looked great during the playoffs, but I'd be more concerned about players who have deep playoff experience and still looked like it was their first time *coughCorvocough*.

And again, this was Babchuk's first playoff run. No one on defense looked great during the playoffs, but I'd be more concerned about players who have deep playoff experience and still looked like it was their first time *coughCorvocough*.

If I'm not mistaken Gleason and Seidenberg were also in their first playoff run and they were by far way better than Babchuk. The whole team as well as the D faltered and had huge issues in the Conference finals. But everyone else minus Babchuk had good showings the first two rounds. Babchuk was just horrible all around which is why he was the one sitting in the pressbox for a couple games.

I'm sorry but you seriously need to take off the Babchuk rose colored glasses. Yes he played well the second half of the season. I wouldn't mind having him back next year to see if he continues to improve. But as of right now, his spazziness and freaking out outweigh the half good he did have to warrant anymore than his QO. Not to mention he is not a Top 4 defenseman yet and if we are counting on him to be that guy for a full 82 games and more, we are in big trouble.

Babchuk to Russia works for no one but the Russians. Yes he has been inconsistant, but he is still relatively young in defensman years, and he showed flashes of All Star caliber offense. If JR really can't live with Babchuk, he needs to sign him, and then trade him. Someone will look at those goals and that slapshot and while we may end up kicking ourselves if Babs developes into a solid top 2 dman at least we'll get something for him. I would personally like to see what he can bring next year.

LaRose,

I know a family member, Chad was offered 1.4 and they are not willing to give.

Apparently he has a family member that is telling everyone (see previous comments)...

Thanks for the info though. I enjoy the "inside information" we get on here every now and again.

The only "blip" is see is the -2 against Boston and the -3 against Ottawa around mid January. Of course, those were part of a 6-game losing streak, so I doubt the entire team was playing well during that stretch. If we can write off his production as "The whole team playing well", then we can write off parts of his bad play as "The whole team playing poorly".

The blip I was referring to was a positive one, not a negative one. It ended with the 2 game -5 streak you mentioned. He had a small stretch there, but primarily he turned it up in mid-Feb. You can't really say his turnaround started in early Jan. And I did not write off his production on the whole team playing well at all. You might argue that his playing well was a key to the team also playing well. Hard to tell which comes first, since his game seems to ebb and flow based on confidence.

I agree with your take on Corvo. I just don't see throwing more than necessary at a guy that seems to be a head case.

I am not a big Bab's fan as the way he acted when told, on a 2-way contract, he was being sent down to the AHL. He cried and ran home to mother Russia. He has a horrible personality with the fans, acts like he is just to good to spend time with them. He is a big baby!!!

He doesn't hit, even when he is hit, and does not stand up for any team mates. I wish him well but not with the Cane's.

Pitkanen is another. I did not see enough out of him to warrant his salary. During the playoffs it looked like he was at training camp. A couple of times the puck was right in front of him and he couldn't decide if he should go for it or not. For what he is making, his mind should have been ready.

Berg is a great defenseman and I hate to see him go. He is great at blocking shots and plays hurt, if needed. I would take him over Bab's anyday! But remember, Conboy is on a one-way this year and is a natural defenseman. Admittingly, he needs time to adjust to the NHL mentality for the AHL but he is willing to step in for anyone on the team. I think he can take over Bab's position with no problem. Borer is another that is ready to step up and has good size on him.

I think we are pretty much ready!

If coming off a career year in goals and assists, PP points and +/-, playing a big part in the Canes even making it to the playoffs with 4 GWGs and showing that he still has a lot of upside to him doesn't deserve some sort of a raise, then what does?

I am not a big Bab's fan as the way he acted when told, on a 2-way contract, he was being sent down to the AHL. He cried and ran home to mother Russia. He has a horrible personality with the fans, acts like he is just to good to spend time with them. He is a big baby!!!

He doesn't hit, even when he is hit, and does not stand up for any team mates. I wish him well but not with the Cane's.

Pitkanen is another. I did not see enough out of him to warrant his salary. During the playoffs it looked like he was at training camp. A couple of times the puck was right in front of him and he couldn't decide if he should go for it or not. For what he is making, his mind should have been ready.

Berg is a great defenseman and I hate to see him go. He is great at blocking shots and plays hurt, if needed. I would take him over Bab's anyday! But remember, Conboy is on a one-way this year and is a natural defenseman. Admittedly, he needs time to adjust to the NHL mentality for the AHL but he is willing to step in for anyone on the team. I think he can take over Bab's position with no problem. Borer is another that is ready to step up and has good size on him.

that isn't entirely accurate!! He did not cry and run home to mother Russia, he refused to report for approximately two weeks and then went down. He came back up a few weeks later and finished the season here. during that off season he opted to play in Russia rather than accept our qualifying offer and actually had a real good season, learned how to straighten out his shot. His agent contacted JR prior to last season and asked for a chance to play here again and JR granted it.

Sorry but I'm with JR on this. Babs had 2 separate hot streaks last season where his goals came from and his good plus minus came from playing against team's lower lines, getting PP minutes and not being called on for PK time.

Uhhhh that doesn't make any sense.... when you score on the powerplay, it doesn't affect +/-. When you get scored on while on the PK, it doesn't affect +/- either. Shotrhanded goals do affect +/- though. So his great +/- came mostly from 5-on-5 play. You should work for JR... because you just "manufactured" excuses to NOT pay Babs the money he earned.

Well Frogg, it seems we are in the minority. But, facts are facts. The man's play improved dramatically when Lavi left the team and he got more ice time. Babs got lowballed by JR and he didn't deserve it, period. If JR has it in for Babs, then why in the sam hill did he bring him back and give him another shot? Don't agree with JR on this one.

Well Frogg, it seems we are in the minority. But, facts are facts. The man's play improved dramatically when Lavi left the team and he got more ice time. Babs got lowballed by JR and he didn't deserve it, period. If JR has it in for Babs, then why in the sam hill did he bring him back and give him another shot? Don't agree with JR on this one.

You may be in the minority, but not alone. I'm on record for thinking that Babs should have been offered at least a 2 year deal with a modest raise each season. To bring him back for 1 mil and see that he's improved and offer him the same 1 mil the next season makes me scratch my head a little. I do agree with whoever said if Babs isn't in J.R.'s plan that we need to sign him to a decent deal and then trade him. This doesn't make a lot of sense. The thing is at the 1 mil QO, there isn't a lot of compensation if someone were to make an offer and I see that highly probable once the available d-men get scooped up.

Berg is a great defenseman and I hate to see him go. He is great at blocking shots and plays hurt, if needed. I would take him over Bab's anyday! But remember, Conboy is on a one-way this year and is a natural defenseman. Admittingly, he needs time to adjust to the NHL mentality for the AHL but he is willing to step in for anyone on the team. I think he can take over Bab's position with no problem. Borer is another that is ready to step up and has good size on him.

Big Baby?? Aside from that one incident with JR what has he done that warrants you calling him a crybaby.? Yes he had a horrid playoff, but you CANNOT overlook what he did in the regular season, he won a few games for us down the stretch (Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Washington) with some timely goals. Joni Pitkanen not earning his salary? Are you serious! Take away Pitkanen in Game 7 vs NJ and we never make it to the second round, yes he was out of position a few times but every d-man gets caught out of position, even the great ones. And Seidenberg is NOT a great defenseman he is a little above average at best and that showed in the playoffs. Plus, I didn't see him play hurt at all.

I might as well not post anything on Babs at all, I'll just be called a homer.

You may be in the minority, but not alone. I'm on record for thinking that Babs should have been offered at least a 2 year deal with a modest raise each season. To bring him back for 1 mil and see that he's improved and offer him the same 1 mil the next season makes me scratch my head a little. I do agree with whoever said if Babs isn't in J.R.'s plan that we need to sign him to a decent deal and then trade him. This doesn't make a lot of sense. The thing is at the 1 mil QO, there isn't a lot of compensation if someone were to make an offer and I see that highly probable once the available d-men get scooped up.

The difference, to me, is where you say "he's improved", I say he shows signs of improvement. Who shows up in October, the playoffs version or the late season version? Because the playoffs version will get him on the bench. The late season version will get him a big payday next year. LaRose was in a similar situation last year and took a minor raise, showed another big level of improvement, and is now in line for a bigger payday. Babs should do the same and quit complaining.

You make an interesting point about an offer sheet - but since the options seem to have been play for QO or go home, is that not an option here? Makes one wonder because you are right, someone would probably gamble on him at that price.

Uhhhh that doesn't make any sense.... when you score on the powerplay, it doesn't affect +/-. When you get scored on while on the PK, it doesn't affect +/- either. Shotrhanded goals do affect +/- though. So his great +/- came mostly from 5-on-5 play. You should work for JR... because you just "manufactured" excuses to NOT pay Babs the money he earned.

Sorry I worded that incorrectly, that's what I get for trying to type on a Blackberry while in the doctor's office. ;) I meant that his +/- was high based on the fact that he was playing against checking lines and not top lines all night. I was also trying to get to the point that all he really does is score on the PP, he cannot play defense, cannot hit, doesn't stand up for team mates, cannot penalty kill and seems to be a bit of a headcase. Would I like to have him back based on his play at the end of the season? Yes, but I don't want to spend more than what we gave him last year. A big stretch at the end of the season shouldn't be enough to warrant too much of an increase. I think the best thing in this situation is for JR to look for any potential suitors for him and try to deal him. I do think that Corvo also played badly in the post season, and if the right deal came along if I was JR I'd take it for Corvo, but he seems to be the sort of guy who has the potential to help the team out on more things than just the PP.

I couldn't agree with you more. The way JR has handled the Babchuk situation is the only thing I've been upset about during the off-season so far. Low-balling Babs because he is a crybaby / bad in the playoffs / wimp who doesn't hit, makes no sense at all, even if those things were all true. What does the team get if he doesn't take the qualifier and goes to Russia? Zip. Nada. Nothing. How does this help the team?!?!? What a waste, just because JR is pissed at him.

The kid is only 24, and with the proper development, has more upside potential by far than any d-man in the system. He has more natural talent than Carson, Rodney, and Borer put together. He obviously has some mental issues, but JR's lowball offer and constant berating to the press is not helping matters.

If I'm not mistaken Gleason and Seidenberg were also in their first playoff run and they were by far way better than Babchuk. The whole team as well as the D faltered and had huge issues in the Conference finals. But everyone else minus Babchuk had good showings the first two rounds. Babchuk was just horrible all around which is why he was the one sitting in the pressbox for a couple games.

Just for clarity's sake, it was Seidenberg's first playoff run, but was not his first playoff experience. He played a couple games for the Flyers as a callup during the playoffs in 03-04. The following year, he went deep into the AHL playoffs. And I would hardly call Seidenberg's performance in the playoffs a step above Babchuk's. His play warranted a healthy scratch as well, if I remember correctly.

Sorry I worded that incorrectly, that's what I get for trying to type on a Blackberry while in the doctor's office. ;) I meant that his +/- was high based on the fact that he was playing against checking lines and not top lines all night. I was also trying to get to the point that all he really does is score on the PP, he cannot play defense, cannot hit, doesn't stand up for team mates, cannot penalty kill and seems to be a bit of a headcase. Would I like to have him back based on his play at the end of the season? Yes, but I don't want to spend more than what we gave him last year. A big stretch at the end of the season shouldn't be enough to warrant too much of an increase. I think the best thing in this situation is for JR to look for any potential suitors for him and try to deal him. I do think that Corvo also played badly in the post season, and if the right deal came along if I was JR I'd take it for Corvo, but he seems to be the sort of guy who has the potential to help the team out on more things than just the PP.

I don't follow your logic. If Babchuk was playing in the Top 4 with Pitkanen for over half the season, don't you think he would have faced more than just the checking lines? The top two defensive pairings are typically used against an opponent's top two lines, or their scoring lines. The 3rd defensive pairing is then used to handle the opponent's checking line. You can't write off his +/- as a result of playing against the checking line if he rarely played against that line.