The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

nope.

I guess we'll just go with 2 pairing defense then and rotate the 5th guy in as needed. :P

If we lose both players, that will only leave us with 5 dmen signed, he'll have to fill the roster somehow.

JR said if Larose and Babs dont come back, we will use their money to sign some D.

well geez, you're no fun. :P

JR said if Larose and Babs dont come back, we will use their money to sign some D.

By the time that happens there will probably be no D-men left.

I listened to J.R.'s interview and I'm convinced now that Babs is so far in the dog house that he will never see the light of day. J.R. said if Babs hadn't gone back to Russia before that he'd be in a position to get a nice contract. Since he did that and now he has no arbitration rights, tough, he can take the QO or go away.

coastal, Jimmy's really using that dipstick on Babs.

I listened to J.R.'s interview and I'm convinced now that Babs is so far in the dog house that he will never see the light of day. J.R. said if Babs hadn't gone back to Russia before that he'd be in a position to get a nice contract. Since he did that and now he has no arbitration rights, tough, he can take the QO or go away.

coastal, Jimmy's really using that dipstick on Babs.

Looks like some of us were in JR's camp with all the wrong justifications eh?

Is it just me or does it not make sense to dump Babchuk and sign some one like Marc-Andre Bergeron? He has the same sniper shots that Bab's does and he actually checks people. Bab's is huge and he's afraid to check anyone on the ice. It's embarassing. Give Gleason or Ruutu Bab's size and people on the other teams would be leaving in body bags.

How can everyone be for a D man that doesn't EVER check forwards or stand his ground?

Is it just me or does it not make sense to dump Babchuk and sign some one like Marc-Andre Bergeron? He has the same sniper shots that Bab's does and he actually checks people. Bab's is huge and he's afraid to check anyone on the ice. It's embarassing. Give Gleason or Ruutu Bab's size and people on the other teams would be leaving in body bags.

How can everyone be for a D man that doesn't EVER check forwards or stand his ground?

I completely agree about the checking thing, I really wish he would throw his body around a few good times. However, everybody is for that D man because that D man had such a great second half of the season, I'm not sure that we make the playoffs last year without him. He seemed to really come into his own and play really well when the pressure was on. Nerves could have gotten to him in the post-season, but I would love to see what he could do with a full year of confidence that a new contract could bring him. Oh yeah, and not many people wanna block that cannon of a shot he has, including net-minders. :P

After the dust settles, there may be a team or two that have to sign some players just to make the minimum salary level. The compensation on Babs would only be a 3rd round pick so it wouldn't be out of the question for a team in that position to do. Maybe that's what J.R. is hoping will happen.

After the dust settles, there may be a team or two that have to sign some players just to make the minimum salary level. The compensation on Babs would only be a 3rd round pick so it wouldn't be out of the question for a team in that position to do. Maybe that's what J.R. is hoping will happen.

I would rather get someone in return who can play for us now. My preference would be a trade for another defenseman around his age.

So I guess you havent read many of our threads. Everyone isn't for a D man that doesn't EVER check forwards to stand his ground.

I would rather get someone in return who can play for us now. My preference would be a trade for another defenseman around his age.

I wasn't suggesting that J.R. was going to use that pick to get someone to replace Babs. I think J.R. wants to wash his hands of Babs or at least banish him to Siberia. He'd take a 3rd rounder as compensation though.

I wasn't suggesting that J.R. was going to use that pick to get someone to replace Babs. I think J.R. wants to wash his hands of Babs or at least banish him to Siberia. He'd take a 3rd rounder as compensation though.

I would think we could easily get more from him if he were traded rather than signed by another team.

I think everyone makes too much of the whole "Babchuk doesn't hit" thing. News flash, half our defense doesn't hit. Doesn't make them any less effective in playing defense. Physicality is nice to have, but it's not a necessary tool to be a defenseman. And more importantly, with Babchuk's "speed", do you really want him risking his positioning to go for a hit?

He's got a big frame, which he uses to block shots, not hit. If we lose Babchuk and Seidenberg, we lose two really good shotblockers from our team. Between the two of them, they blocked 275 shots last year. Which means 275 more shots that reach Ward, which given Ward's SV% (and assuming my math is correct) is an additional 23 goals against. Not something we need to strive for, yeah?

I read on the Pittsburgh board that the Canes were one of the teams that inquired about Fedetenko. That was probably before the Cole and LaRose signing but its interesting if true.

Can we take the whole Babchuk's worth debate over to the playing GM thread, there's been no new info posted about the situation that Im getting from all the Babchuk arguing. Im guessing that Ruutu is the next signing priority over Babchuk and until we hear something about Seidenberg signing (wherever), things are going to be quiet. I really doubt that Babchuk's $1million QO is much of a priority right now based on JR's comments whether his supporters like it or not.

thank you!!

Your welcome. All the posts in the big Babchuk debate have bee moved over to the GM thread.

So.....has anyone read or heard any good rumors about the Canes today? ;)

Your welcome. All the posts in the big Babchuk debate have bee moved over to the GM thread.

So.....has anyone read or heard any good rumors about the Canes today? ;)

nope, all quiet. I think JR has taken the weekend off! Apparently no one told him we are sitting here waiting for something new.

nope, all quiet. I think JR has taken the weekend off! Apparently no one told him we are sitting here waiting for something new.

This isn't hockey independance day. Come on J.R. How about a little somethin' somethin'.

See I get a lot of flack from my friends for not being happy about the Larose signing and this is why. We have lost 1/3 of our D and have almost no cash to replace it. Why didn't we just spend the $1.7 on Zanon or equivalent instead and have an open roster spot for a young prospect. It will be impossible to move Wallin, Kaberle, Brind'Amour, and Walker due to no one wanting or NTC. It would be a mistake to get rid of Corvo, we have to move a forward to acquire a D. In the end we might end up losing out on Ruutu which would be much worse in my opinion than losing Cole or Larose. I can't imagine JR thinks we will be a better team next year having the same forwards and down two of our top 6 defensemen, the question is just who ends up going?

would you please give it a rest!!! We have two months before the season starts!! Do you have any idea how much can be changed in two months? Yet you expect JR to have it done in two+ days!!

would you please give it a rest!!! We have two months before the season starts!! Do you have any idea how much can be changed in two months? Yet you expect JR to have it done in two+ days!!

Prior to free agency starting, J.R. was talking about sitting on the sidelines until August when the dust settles.

Prior to free agency starting, J.R. was talking about sitting on the sidelines until August when the dust settles.

Nice try.