The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

so what happend to seidenberg?

Nothing yet that we've heard. I havent even read about a team being interested in him though Im sure someone must be.

It would be nice if this topic stuck to what it was for.

Wheres the trades rumors at?

Sucking up to TSA will get you nowhere.

Signed,

Resident Thread Derailer

From Spectors:

ESPN.COM: Pierre LeBrun reports former Dallas Stars defenseman Sergei Zubov is believed speaking with six or seven teams, the NY Rangers among them...the Carolina Hurricanes are "nowhere close" to re-signing restricted free agent defenseman Anton Babchuk, who could be dealt as a result.

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Javier Serna reports Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford hopes to re-sign RFA forward Tuomto Ruutu to a two-or-three year contract, which could be announced as early as today, but he's less hopeful of re-signing Anton Babchuk.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Babchuk doesn't have arbitration rights so if Rutherford cannot get Babchuk under contract in the coming weeks the blueliner may very well be dealt, provided he doesn't head to the KHL for more money.

COLUMBUS DISPATCH: Tom Reed reports the Blue Jackets biggest need is for an established offensive defenseman. GM Scott Howson has a glut of wingers and is reportedly exploring trade options. Reed reports the top remaining UFA blueliners like Derek Morris and Dennis Seidenberg aren't on Howson's radar unless their asking price drops substantially. Possible trade targets could include Toronto (9 blueliners under contract) or San Jose (only 8 forwards under contract).

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Perhaps Howson might have some interest in Babchuk?

From Spectors:

ESPN.COM: Pierre LeBrun reports former Dallas Stars defenseman Sergei Zubov is believed speaking with six or seven teams, the NY Rangers among them...the Carolina Hurricanes are "nowhere close" to re-signing restricted free agent defenseman Anton Babchuk, who could be dealt as a result.

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Javier Serna reports Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford hopes to re-sign RFA forward Tuomto Ruutu to a two-or-three year contract, which could be announced as early as today, but he's less hopeful of re-signing Anton Babchuk.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Babchuk doesn't have arbitration rights so if Rutherford cannot get Babchuk under contract in the coming weeks the blueliner may very well be dealt, provided he doesn't head to the KHL for more money.

COLUMBUS DISPATCH: Tom Reed reports the Blue Jackets biggest need is for an established offensive defenseman. GM Scott Howson has a glut of wingers and is reportedly exploring trade options. Reed reports the top remaining UFA blueliners like Derek Morris and Dennis Seidenberg aren't on Howson's radar unless their asking price drops substantially. Possible trade targets could include Toronto (9 blueliners under contract) or San Jose (only 8 forwards under contract).

I wouldn't call Columbus as having a "glut" of wingers, more like just enough to fill out 4 lines. There's no one on their roster I can really see being traded to us, unless for some reason they really overvalue Babs.

From Spectors:

The Columbus option seems interesting.. I wonder who we could get for him. In a one-for-one trade, they have some guys in that salary range, Jason Chimera at 1.8mil, Jakub Voracek at 1.2 mil and Jared Boll at 0.743 mil. Raffi Torres will be a UFA next year, but sitting at 2.75 mil maybe a bit much for us.

Zubov made 5.350 mil last year, so he would have to take a HUGE pay cut to fit in with our budget or dump multiple players like Babs/Eaves or something. Now that I re-read the statement I see that the comment is just about Babs.. we are most likely NOT one of the teams Zubov is speaking too.

I also noticed looking on NHLnumbers.com that CBJ has what looks like 12 centers on the roster and I also failed to notice the "glut" of wingers..

I'm really interested now to see what Seidenberg and his agent are asking. I thought for sure he would have been signed by now, but here we are a week out and he still hasn't found a home. If teams are waiting for him to lower his price and he does, wonder if he would just re-sign here if that lowered price fits JRs budget.

I'm really interested now to see what Seidenberg and his agent are asking. I thought for sure he would have been signed by now, but here we are a week out and he still hasn't found a home. If teams are waiting for him to lower his price and he does, wonder if he would just re-sign here if that lowered price fits JRs budget.

That's what Ive been hoping for. I wish we had some info about his asking price.

The Columbus option seems interesting.. I wonder who we could get for him. In a one-for-one trade, they have some guys in that salary range, Jason Chimera at 1.8mil, Jakub Voracek at 1.2 mil and Jared Boll at 0.743 mil. Raffi Torres will be a UFA next year, but sitting at 2.75 mil maybe a bit much for us.

Zubov made 5.350 mil last year, so he would have to take a HUGE pay cut to fit in with our budget or dump multiple players like Babs/Eaves or something. Now that I re-read the statement I see that the comment is just about Babs.. we are most likely NOT one of the teams Zubov is speaking too.

I also noticed looking on NHLnumbers.com that CBJ has what looks like 12 centers on the roster and I also failed to notice the "glut" of wingers..

Boll is from Charlotte and could definitely add some toughness.

Or Ole-Kristian Tollefsen. RFA D who likes to hit and fight. Although, I beleive injuries are a bit of a concern there.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Ole-Kristian_Tollefsen/' target="_blank">Link[/post]

I saw that he has a career high of 70 GP coming two years ago, and those numbers have dropped significantly the last two years (51,19 GP) I'm thinking they could be injury related but he may just be riding the bench in Cbus like Kabs does for us. I heard on another board that he does not give a damn about how much money he makes, he just likes to play so if we wanted we could probably trade for him and sign him under 1 mil.

Idk much about Methot.

Boll is from Charlotte and could definitely add some toughness.

As rare as it is for a NC hockey player, that would be pretty cool for him to play for the Canes.. instant hometown hero? 5th in the league in PIM with 180 this past year.. had 226 the year before that. Hopefully, those are from energy type plays (fighting, roughing) and not silly ones like tripping, hooking, interference.

2 years experience would be nice for the 4th line which is probably gonna end up being Sutter and Ryan.

The more forwards we add we push the younger guys down though. Sutter is already the odd man out for center behind Rod, Staal, Cullen, Ruutu and if need be, Jokinen. Wonder if a Sutter - Brindamour - Boll line would work, but that doesn't leave a spot for Ryan and a few others. We have plenty of forward depth, I know we are hurting on D. Conboy can and has played D and forward, so he can add to the D's depth.