The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

Eklund is a joke but he did call the Cole for Pitkanen trade long before it happened. :huh:

This team has needed grit and toughness for years. Now they have Ruutu, why on earth would they consider trading him away? Not to mention they gave up Ladd for Ruutu originally and I dont think JR wants to come up empty on that one.

I do agree, but Cole may also be the man to light a fire under Staal's but, and get him going which this team would highy benefit from. I mean Ruutu is a strong checker, and does get this team going at times but we've got Conboy now, don't we? Like, he can fill Tuomo's spot, and is younger, which I also like. I mean, is there a point of keeping Ruutu when we've already got Conboy, and if we did trade for Cole, he's agressive and cou;d keep that 1st line agressive anyways!

Just my 2 cents...

First of all, I take anything Eklund says with a salt block.

Cole for Ruu would be a bad deal in my estimation. Ruu is contributing more than Cole is in Edmonton and I like Ruu's hitting and drive and heart. While Cole is now finding his legs in Edmonton, I think his time in Carolina is done. It won't happen in season. Maybe over the summer. While I was not happy that Cole was traded, see my id, it was time.

I do agree, but Cole may also be the man to light a fire under Staal's but, and get him going which this team would highy benefit from. I mean Ruutu is a strong checker, and does get this team going at times but we've got Conboy now, don't we? Like, he can fill Tuomo's spot, and is younger, which I also like. I mean, is there a point of keeping Ruutu when we've already got Conboy, and if we did trade for Cole, he's agressive and cou;d keep that 1st line agressive anyways!

Just my 2 cents...

Conboy will not replace Ruutu, and I'm pretty sure Conboy is a year older.

Just my 2 cents...

Conboy is no more than a 4th liner, he is not a replacement for Ruutu. Not to mention Ruutu is younger. And yes there is a point in keeping Ruutu. Ruutu actually has some skills and can be utilized in a top 9 role and PP. Conboy has very little skills and can't be used on the PP or even the PK and can only give you a 4th line type role.

They aren't even close to being comparable.

I'm not saying I don't believe that JR is considering bringing Cole back here, and now rather than in July, but the Ruutu for Cole trade would be ridiculous and would stand against common sense. Ruutu is just too much to give up, and it's not just his play but also the financial/contractual aspect of him, and knowing how this org. operates, that usually is a #1 consideration when making signings or trades. Ruutu will be an RFA at the end of this season, and let's just for a moment entertain a thought that maybe he doesn't want to stay here. What are his and the org's options? Well, there are only 2 - we could either try to sign him and if that doesnt work go thru arbitration or some other team's GM will send an offer sheet which we may choose not to match and if that happens I think we'd get at least a 1st round pick in return, maybe even more. It's a win/win situation for the org either way, IMO. You don't just trade a pending RFA straight up for a pending UFA unless you're firmly in the playoff position. The only way you do this kind of trade is from the position of weakness, like to get rid of a locker room cancer

The Cole Ruutu trade isn't out of the question. Don't lose sight of the fact that Staal and Cole were inseparable. Maybe it is Staal saying he needs him back and Cole after a long cold winter saying he is willing to sign for less to stay in Carolina at the end of the season. Personally, I prefer RUUUU!

Ironman, I think you are onto something. Staal and Cole were inseparable and Staal has not been himself this season. IMO, JR needs to go a different direction. I'd rather see a trade for Wolski from the Avs than bring back Cole. I'm sure that Staal can get going with wingers other than Cole...and if not, that's an entirely different problem! Plus, Ruutu for Cole does not fill any holes, it just swaps players and any holes in the team remain.

I like Ruutu, and I wouldn't mind seeing Cole come back as a free agent. That being said, Ruutu ,I believe, only signed a 1 year contract, and he might be thinking about looking around after the season is over. If that were the case, a Ruutu for Cole trade might make sense.

I like Ruutu, and I wouldn't mind seeing Cole come back as a free agent. That being said, Ruutu ,I believe, only signed a 1 year contract, and he might be thinking about looking around after the season is over. If that were the case, a Ruutu for Cole trade might make sense.

Ruutu is a RFA though, so we hold his rights. If a team were to throw an offer sheet his way and he accepts, Carolina would get compensated with picks if they chose not to match.

Cole, on the other hand, is a UFA. Which means he can sign with any team and if he decides to sign with say Boston, Carolina gets no compensation.

Edmonton would win that deal hands down. They get the pending RFA who can't just up and walk for free. While Carolina gets a pending UFA who can up and walk for free.

If this rumor is part way true, there's got to be more coming back to Carolina. If it was straight up Edmonton would have signed the papers a long time ago.

Ironman, I think you are onto something. Staal and Cole were inseparable and Staal has not been himself this season. IMO, JR needs to go a different direction. I'd rather see a trade for Wolski from the Avs than bring back Cole. I'm sure that Staal can get going with wingers other than Cole...and if not, that's an entirely different problem! Plus, Ruutu for Cole does not fill any holes, it just swaps players and any holes in the team remain.

Yeah, it swaps one player who brings it every night for another player that may or may not show up some nights.

Dont do it JR.

I thought we already had this discussion, but I'll have another run at it. Ruutu for Cole straight up in insane. I know there's alot of Cole love out there, as there should be, but come on! Ruutu + for Cole is even crazier.

Ruutu has 12 more points, hits far harder, is younger, makes less, is unrestricted, and loves being here.

We need scoring forwards, so we trade one of our top forwards for a guy who has stuggled to score for over two years?

I've meantioned it before, but if we can add Cole in some kind of sweet deal and not give up scoring to get him then fine, but his scoring warrants second line at best and really more like third line. So Cole for Kaberle? Sure. Cole for Bayda. OK. Cole for Ruutu? HA! I have no reason to think JR has lost his mind.

The Ottawa Senators have placed Martin Gerber on re-entry waivers. Sources tell Hockeyleaks.com that Carolina, Buffalo and Calgary have contacted the Sens over the last week with interest. It is unknown if one of these teams will claim him or attempt to work out a deal with Ottawa in hopes of dealing a similar salary back. Should Gerber be claimed, the claiming team will only be on the hook for half of Gerber's remaining salary.

http://hockeyleaks.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2906

According to EK Carolina would like to acquire another Fin:

"The Flames are once again leading the pack along with the Sabres and Hurricanes in possibly dealing for Oli Jokinen. It really does appear as though Jokinen could be moved VERY soon here..."

Just to point out, Jokinen is a $5.25 mil a year guy, which makes me doubt this rumor.

According to EK Carolina would like to acquire another Fin:

"The Flames are once again leading the pack along with the Sabres and Hurricanes in possibly dealing for Oli Jokinen. It really does appear as though Jokinen could be moved VERY soon here..."

Just to point out, Jokinen is a $5.25 mil a year guy, which makes me doubt this rumor.

If he does I think Gleason has something to say to him. :lol:

Another thing that makes me doubt this rumor is that he generally plays center, so he would be anchoring the second line and Cullen would have to move to a wing position or center the 3rd line.

He would be an excellent addition (in the past 6 seasons, he is averaging 33 goals and 36 assists per season), but too expensive.

After displaying Kaberle so much in the game vs Buffalo last night, I really hope JR can find a place for Kabs to go. Why did Mo give Kabs over 5 minutes of PP time last night ? Kabs did NOTHING with the puck (other than hold onto it) or the opportunity all night. ZERO shots all night. He's better positioned in the press box than on the PP line ! Even better would be on some other team !

Gerber is on re-entry waivers and the Ottawa papers claim we have interest. We should see by noon if he gets claimed or not. His salary is 3.7 I believe, so half of that prorated is minimal. Still, the Canes don't like to spend money. If we could convince them to take Kabs, I think its possible. But again, not sure anyone wants Kabs.

Another thing that makes me doubt this rumor is that he generally plays center, so he would be anchoring the second line and Cullen would have to move to a wing position or center the 3rd line.

He would be an excellent addition (in the past 6 seasons, he is averaging 33 goals and 36 assists per season), but too expensive.

Aside from the $ he would be a great addition. Cullen on the third line would show how strong this would make us. JR gets him for the run and I buy next year's season tickets the same day.

As for Kaberle, I doubt anyone wants him, but no doubt with Babchuk emerging, that moving Kaberle would be a great thing. Of course no one took him off waivers, but things do change.

Gerber is on re-entry waivers and the Ottawa papers claim we have interest. We should see by noon if he gets claimed or not. His salary is 3.7 I believe, so half of that prorated is minimal. Still, the Canes don't like to spend money. If we could convince them to take Kabs, I think its possible. But again, not sure anyone wants Kabs.

Here's the article from the Ottawa Sun:

Carolina (re)calling for Gerber?

Comment February 27 Ottawa Sun "The winds of change could be blowing for Martin Gerber. The Senators placed the 34-year-old veteran goalie on re-entry waivers yesterday and sources say the Hurricanes have a mild interest in reacquiring Gerber since Ottawa would be on the hook for half of the $850,000 (all terms US) that remains on his contract. Gerber, who can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, was sent to Ottawa's AHL affiliate in Binghamton last month."

From the Edmonton Journal:

Carolina: The Canes only have two contracts that are expiring -- defenceman Dennis Seidenberg and forward Tuomo Ruutu -- but will likely hold onto both because they still feel they can make the playoffs, and need both pieces. They might harbour interest in retrieving fan favourite Erik Cole, but would probably have to give up Ruutu to get him. They wouldn't mind moving smallish Patrick Eaves, but he's got two years left at $1.4 million and $1.7 million, so would anybody bite?

From the Edmonton Journal:

Carolina: The Canes only have two contracts that are expiring -- defenceman Dennis Seidenberg and forward Tuomo Ruutu -- but will likely hold onto both because they still feel they can make the playoffs, and need both pieces. They might harbour interest in retrieving fan favourite Erik Cole, but would probably have to give up Ruutu to get him. They wouldn't mind moving smallish Patrick Eaves, but he's got two years left at $1.4 million and $1.7 million, so would anybody bite?

Ruutu!!! neeeds to stay!...erik cole hasnt been playing great.

Just what they need, Bill Guerin. A really old player living off life support and reputation. He would fit in fine with Brind'Amour. Maybe they could race thier mobilized wheelchairs against one another.

Bill Guerin on the move today. We are listed as one of his possible destinations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3944746&name=lebrun_pierre' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre[/post]

Why can't our leader waive his NTC? I think we need to follow the Islanders lead and get rid of a veteran